How long it takes - or am I that bad?

I think everyone is different and time can vary. I know for me i platinumed the game in about 55 hours. In my first playthrough, i didnt skip cutscenes and did everything possible in that playthrough to minimize replay. My materia were setup in a way that i tore through the second playthrough on hard. However, all of this doesn't mean you are bad at the game. You just had a different experience. I know for me i am usually under the time estimates guides suggest for games, but that is just me. everybody is different. On the plus side you get to experience something awesome like FFVII longer than i did. Of course the last thing to remember is that the time estimate is supposed to be an average, so there are a lot of people that will do things faster than the estimate and equally amount that do them a lot slower than the estimate. 

• Like 1

I think that most guides time to platinum is the time that someone takes if they go just for the platinum (skip everything not needed), that's why the times are way off.

I think that the only game where I took about the same time as the guide mentioned was AC3 Liberation,  I always take longer..

As for FF7R,  it took me nearly 120 hours to platinum, but I played almost exclusively without guides, I did everything else before my hard run (so, a few extra chapter playthrough for some trophies), I only got the Gothenburg on my hard playthrough (I did my hard run on chronological order as well as all quests on hard), so there are a lot of reasons why it took me so long..

Anyway,  get the Gothenburg ASAP (it's completely broken...), never forget Elemental+magic (for whatever the boss is weak,  or whatever element it uses a lot) AND Poison (since I didn't had the Gothenburg, it showed me really how good Poison is on my hard playthrough).

Just started chapter 1 on hard. I guess, I will skip this whole Platinum run.

Most games I have no Platinum is because of multiplayer / online only trophies and I do not want to pay and play multiplayer.

As FF7 would all be offline, I had hope to get it done, but when a guide tells me "the first boss is quite easy on the second run" and I keep dying before I even have him down to 50%, I just think, this is way too hard.

Just remembering the tip to do the first playthrough an normal that the "hard" does not ramp up too much. I'd say it is at least factor 3. And if the first boss shall be easier as on first encounter on normal difficulty, I can imagine that those guides are written by people who play as if it's their profession. Would also explain the time stats that are way off.

I was circa 90 hours by the time I got the plat, and I don't feel like I was particularly bad at the game. 

Guide times are generally an estimate, and they are usually based around going for the Plat as the exclusive, or at least the main, goal.  As they should be, of course - they are guides to the Platinum after all - but they aren't a 'level par' by which skilled gaming can be judged.

They don't account for all the time you might spend just savouring the game, taking your time to soak in atmosphere, doing non-required side stuff etc.

With an RPG especially, where there is scope for different play-styles in combat etc, as well as just wandering around the hub areas and talking to NPCs etc, there can be a big difference between a guide estimate and even a good player's final time.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the insights on how it turned out to be for you all..

So I'll just ignore the estimated time for the future. Even if I would have skipped every cutscene on normal playthrough, I'd still have less than the half of the estimated time left. So those estimates seem to be always kind of very ambituous.

Just looked through the games I played. The only games the time estimates match my experiences or are even higher than my experience are games designed for children.

Guess I'll fix the "noob" sign to my forehead now.

It's just so irritating. Have played much on PC and SNES when I was in my teens and never had noteable problems with the difficulty of games.

Edited by In4m471k3r
typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, In4m471k3r said:

The only games the time estimates match my experiences or are even higher than my experience are games designed for children.

If taking way longer to get the Platinum than the guide estimates state is the standard, can I borrow that "Noob" sign for a minute before you attach it to your forehead? 

I just need to make a quick copy for myself... ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If taking way longer to get the Platinum than the guide estimates state is the standard, can I borrow that Noob sign for a minute before you attach it to your forehead? 

I just need to make a quick copy for myself... ?

Be my guest ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, In4m471k3r said:

...I'll just ignore the estimated time for the future ... those estimates seem to be always kind of very ambituous.

My platinum times are almost always higher than the estimates given in guides. Sometimes by a few hours, sometimes by dozens of hours. My humble advice is that it's not worth comparing your platinum time to the guide estimate or to anyone else's time. We all play games our own way.

My platinum time on FFVIIR was about 90 hours. The toughest bosses for me in the hard playthrough were the one-on-one battles against Reno and Rufus. Reno killed me three times, Rufus gave me fits and killed me at least six times.

• Like 2

I'm 62 hours in and on chapter 10 on my hard run, watched all cutscenes and took my time on normal but skipping a lot on the hard run.  I'm glad its not just me but that first boss on hard took my by surprise - honestly struggled more with this than hell house (2 attempts i think) and almost gave up on the hard run completely.  Dreadding the fights near the end

2 hours ago, In4m471k3r said:

Just started chapter 1 on hard. I guess, I will skip this whole Platinum run.

Most games I have no Platinum is because of multiplayer / online only trophies and I do not want to pay and play multiplayer.

As FF7 would all be offline, I had hope to get it done, but when a guide tells me "the first boss is quite easy on the second run" and I keep dying before I even have him down to 50%, I just think, this is way too hard.

Just remembering the tip to do the first playthrough an normal that the "hard" does not ramp up too much. I'd say it is at least factor 3. And if the first boss shall be easier as on first encounter on normal difficulty, I can imagine that those guides are written by people who play as if it's their profession. Would also explain the time stats that are way off.

Don't give up so early on if you want this platinum.

Before starting hard mode: Have you maxed out the levels of your characters? Have you leveled up and set up your materia properly?

Optionally, you can also get Gotterdamerung after the aforementioned steps I just mentioned. Getting it will take a little time, but you can smooth sail through the entirety of hard mode easily with it.

I know it's beating a dead horse in this thread, but there is no reason to question your own skill solely for taking longer to finish a game. I have no idea which guide you checked for 60 hours estimate, but that is merely the ballpark estimate by the author. Just from a quick google search, I see plenty of guides saying 60-80 hours, if it makes you feel any better.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the insights on how it turned out to be for you all..

So I'll just ignore the estimated time for the future. Even if I would have skipped every cutscene on normal playthrough, I'd still have less than the half of the estimated time left. So those estimates seem to be always kind of very ambituous.

Just looked through the games I played. The only games the time estimates match my experiences or are even higher than my experience are games designed for children.

It's just so irritating. Have played much on PC and SNES when I was in my teens and never had noteable problems with the difficulty of games.

One thing I've definitely learned is..use those times with caution. It's very easy to see the timestamp in the guide and see that you are close to it and you get frustrated.

"How did they do it so quickly"

"What am I doing wrong"

Don't let that thinking get to you. First off, this is a wonderful game, and I've platted many FF games and I can say that this one put me through the wringer in terms of challenge. If you constantly compare your times to others you are just going to lose enjoyment and that's not what gaming is about. Maybe take a break, switch up a strategy, break down your playing into different increments to gauge your progress, etc. But if you focus on the fastest 100% times and lining up exactly with the times on the guides you are just setting yourself up for disappointment and frustration. And at the end of the day, if you aren't enjoying it anymore, maybe it isn't worth the headache. I have a few games I won't ever bother to go back to for that simple reason..looking at you Star Ocean. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Griffon234 said:

Don't give up so early on if you want this platinum.

Before starting hard mode: Have you maxed out the levels of your characters? Have you leveled up and set up your materia properly?

Optionally, you can also get Gotterdamerung after the aforementioned steps I just mentioned. Getting it will take a little time, but you can smooth sail through the entirety of hard mode easily with it.

I know it's beating a dead horse in this thread, but there is no reason to question your own skill solely for taking longer to finish a game. I have no idea which guide you checked for 60 hours estimate, but that is merely the ballpark estimate by the author. Just from a quick google search, I see plenty of guides saying 60-80 hours, if it makes you feel any better.

You are right. I could do some grinding to polish up the stats. I hesitated to do so as I heard some fights will get harder once a character has reached level 50.

And I'm still uncertain, which materia I should push besides TP+ and MP+.

But this are thoughts for a different Thread ;)

11 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

One thing I've definitely learned is..use those times with caution. It's very easy to see the timestamp in the guide and see that you are close to it and you get frustrated.

"How did they do it so quickly"

"What am I doing wrong"

Don't let that thinking get to you. First off, this is a wonderful game, and I've platted many FF games and I can say that this one put me through the wringer in terms of challenge. If you constantly compare your times to others you are just going to lose enjoyment and that's not what gaming is about. Maybe take a break, switch up a strategy, break down your playing into different increments to gauge your progress, etc. But if you focus on the fastest 100% times and lining up exactly with the times on the guides you are just setting yourself up for disappointment and frustration. And at the end of the day, if you aren't enjoying it anymore, maybe it isn't worth the headache. I have a few games I won't ever bother to go back to for that simple reason..looking at you Star Ocean. 

Yeah. That's some good advice, too.

I usually bite me through. And as those times never made any sense to me, I finally had to ask about them as I felt that never someone doubted them.

The 60 hrs are taken from the guide here at PSN Profiles. Guess it would be a good feat. if every Platinum achiever could give his own stat to those guides to get a balanced average on this value.

First of all I play the games I chose for pleasure. I originally played FF7 on PC and it helped me through some bad times. It also got me interested in the series. I've another FF for PS4 around here (dunno which one atm). The game will not disappoint me - the hunt for premium might, though. So I'll have to see, if it is worth trying harder at risking the good experience I had with the game.

Nah my friend. I never even take those estimated times into consideration, because my game times are always wildly off in comparison. Does not mean I'm a bad player. I don't buy games to rush through them, so why do I care that my time to platinum is so much higher than what a guide says? A game takes as long to platinum as it takes me to platinum. 

• Like 1

I find the "estimated time to platinum" are usually very optimistic. Especially in a game like this, where the timer keeps counting while you're in menus messing around with materia and weapon upgrades. The in-game timer isn't reflective of how much actual time you're spending playing it.

I'm up to Chapter 4 on Hard and to be honest, I'm getting my ass kicked regularly. You need to be much more patient and spend a lot more time blocking & dodging, trying to attack through damage doesn't work anymore.

Yeah. That's some good advice, too.

I usually bite me through. And as those times never made any sense to me, I finally had to ask about them as I felt that never someone doubted them.

The 60 hrs are taken from the guide here at PSN Profiles. Guess it would be a good feat. if every Platinum achiever could give his own stat to those guides to get a balanced average on this value.

First of all I play the games I chose for pleasure. I originally played FF7 on PC and it helped me through some bad times. It also got me interested in the series. I've another FF for PS4 around here (dunno which one atm). The game will not disappoint me - the hunt for premium might, though. So I'll have to see, if it is worth trying harder at risking the good experience I had with the game.

I've never equated FF games with really being..well...hard. They tend to be pretty accessible games for fans of JRPGs and have a low barrier of entry. So, while I can say that hard mode really did change my mind in that regard, I can see why many people enjoy playing Souls games because overcoming that difficulty is rewarding. It was very rewarding and felt awesome finally overcoming those VR challenges after countless strategies..or just seeing how much a world of a difference an efficient materia set up changes the whole trajectory of a battle.

I hope you are able to power through because I think this game is a very fulfilling challenge and the platinum is worth the effort, but don't worry about the numbers, you'll drive yourself crazy. To give you an idea of why it's not good to focus solely on the numbers:

150+ hours on my platinum for Gundam Breaker 3 | Guide recommends: 50 Hours

120+ Hours on Super Robot Wars X | Guides recommend 60-100

100+ Hours on LR:FF13 | Guides recommend 40-60

I mean I started LRFF13 at a time I wasnt serious about trophies, and GB3 was super fun and addicting so I spent way more time than I needed to maxing stats, parts, etc. The point is..just play and enjoy and have fun while hunting, and soon you'll forget about the hours.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, In4m471k3r said:

You are right. I could do some grinding to polish up the stats. I hesitated to do so as I heard some fights will get harder once a character has reached level 50.

And I'm still uncertain, which materia I should push besides TP+ and MP+.

But this are thoughts for a different Thread ;)

That's interesting, I have literally never heard that before.

Also Elemental Materia is really strong, you'll need a bunch of the bread and butter materia too (Fire, Thunder, Blizzard etc..) for a bunch of stuff, also Raise, Barrier, and Haste off the top of my head. If you look at the materia setups for any of the hard content, just push those.