Give a game on your list a true rarity percentage..

iGGTheEnd

Some games rarity percentages are truly off in terms of difficulty due to either how many players have played the game or having a dedicated fan base.  Or even just being too janky for someone to finish the plat.

I will give a couple and make a true rarity for what I think the games should be at.

I am Bread is at 0.33 percent I think it could sit at 2.5 percent if people gave it a real try.  It's just not the type of game people would want to play for 40 hours and it can get pretty janky.

Also just started Dungreed which has only 100 players so it sits at 12 percent but I feel like it is much more difficult than rarity seems to tell.  I would say a true rarity for Dungreed would be around 3 percent if it had a higher player count.

Edited by iGGTheEnd
  • Like 4

Killzone Shadow Fall sitting at 1.69% plat rarity is a joke imo. The game is not difficult but just has a grindy online part for the plat - though it’s not even that bad anymore since you can do almost everything with bots now. Realistically I think it should be around 5-8% rarity maybe just sneaking into the UR territory at most because of the time consumption.

Redout which is a fast paced arcade racer sits at 10.79% rarity deserves a lower rarity - maybe 4-5%. Getting a platinum medal on any track, while not overly difficult can be a bit tough nowadays since the devs changed the platinum times to where the requirements are a lot stricter than before. Platinum times were much easier pre-patch hence the high % in rarity compared to the difficulty today. 

Just a few from my list I could think of.

• Like 2

WWE 2K20 shouldn't even be within sniffing distance (no BIG DOG jokes, thanks) of Ultra Rare territory. With a modest modicum planning and preparation (speaking of, best get to said P&P as the servers aren't long for this world), even a moderately skilled player should be able to get it. No broken ass Allen Jones Styles towers or mind-numbing MyCareer grinding here. Don't give a damn about its bad reputation; my experience consisted purely of your standard bogrot 2K jank. 10 to 15% is where it belongs.

Its average quality and unworthiness of its series' timeless legacy aside (still a better game than Dishonored, though...), Thief shouldn't be where it's at, either. For what it is, Custom difficulty is very lenient, and the only really potentially frustrating part of the Hunt itself are those damn untrackable secret areas. Scumming the completion grades is easy enough even for the uninformed. For no reason at all, 13.37% seems perfect.

Mortal Kombat X can be done regardless of fighting game skill level, as is evident by the fact that I--fuckin' ME--have it. Whether aided by cloud or thumbdrive, the online streak can be done with some elbow grease and cheap spammy tactics. Get yourself some reliable boosting partner(s) as I did for the respect points, and you're golden--err, platinum. It's still a grind requiring some abstract thinkin', though, so I'd probably put it in around 6-7 percent territory.

• Like 3

Both COD MW Remaster and COD MW 2 Remaster, are a trap. Those games are hard as fuck on veteran, and they are sitting above 10%. That Chernobyl mission where you have to carry Macmillan still haunt my dreams, it was painful. They should be around 1~3%.

• Like 2

Invisible Inc’s platinum is sitting around 0.43%.

In my mind it should be at 100%....

...because it’s so Goddamned good, my brain cannot fathom anyone playing it and not wanting to squeeze every last trophy out of it, right down to the pulp ?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Don_carlito94 said:

Killzone Shadow Fall sitting at 1.69% plat rarity is a joke imo. The game is not difficult but just has a grindy online part for the plat - though it’s not even that bad anymore since you can do almost everything with bots now. Realistically I think it should be around 5-8% rarity maybe just sneaking into the UR territory at most because of the time consumption.

What trophies do you actually need other players for? I have this but I wasn't going to play it on my main account because I suck at multiplayer.

1 minute ago, Stan Lee said:

What trophies do you actually need other players for? I have this but I wasn't going to play it on my main account because I suck at multiplayer.

Most of the MP trophies can be grinded with Bots (they modded bots in after release) but there are some assist type actions needed to be done (and done and done and done again, ad nausium) that can only be done with other human players.

TBH - And I take no pleasure in saying this - I think the low percentage on that game has less to do with the MP grind, and more to do with it just not being that engaging or enjoyable. It was a launch title, so a lot of people got it - in fact, I believe it was a pack-in with a lot of launch deals (I think that’s how I got it) and so it got an artificially large user base, but, I suspect, it got quickly dropped in favour of better games when they became available.

It wasn’t an awful game by any stretch - a servicable shooter with some ideas to it, and was a really nice visual showpiece for the console early on, but just not impactful or really very much fun to replay, IMO.

On the plus side though, clearly it was used as a test for some tech that eventually went into Horizon: Zero Dawn - and that alone makes it a worthwhile endeavour ?

I can agree with the reference to Killzone Shadowfall. I am surprised it didn't go up in percentage when they made it so you can do a majority of the MP with bots.

I am really surprised the Quantic Dream games are as rare as they are. I know they require some work but not hard. I would probably put them closer to the 20% mark.

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Most of the MP trophies can be grinded with Bots (they modded bots in after release) but there are some assist type actions needed to be done (and done and done and done again, ad nausium) that can only be done with other human players.

TBH - And I take no pleasure in saying this - I think the low percentage on that game has less to do with the MP grind, and more to do with it just not being that engaging or enjoyable. It was a launch title, so a lot of people got it - in fact, I believe it was a pack-in with a lot of launch deals (I think that’s how I got it) and so it got an artificially large user base, but, I suspect, it got quickly dropped in favour of better games when they became available.

It wasn’t an awful game by any stretch - a servicable shooter with some ideas to it, and was a really nice visual showpiece for the console early on, but just not impactful or really very much fun to replay, IMO.

On the plus side though, clearly it was used as a test for some tech that eventually went into Horizon: Zero Dawn - and that alone makes it a worthwhile endeavour ?

You are probably right about people dropping it once other games came out. I did enjoy it (i'm a big KZ fan) but it didn't measure up to other entries. If it weren't for the bots I probably wouldn't of stuck with it to platinum.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Neptuos said:

Both COD MW Remaster and COD MW 2 Remaster, are a trap. Those games are hard as fuck on veteran, and they are sitting above 10%. That Chernobyl mission where you have to carry Macmillan still haunt my dreams, it was painful. They should be around 1~3%.

Both Versions can be exploited with a glitch playing the mission on recruit and then switch it to Veteran on the last checkpoint, this could explain the rarity although the hardest part of "All Ghillied Up" has to be done on a legit way. I personally didnt do it but glitches often increase the Trophy%, hollow knight was sitting under 5% before a glitch came out and now its almost at 8%. 

I would say Bullestorm is another game where percentage doesnt fit the difficulty, rarity is a little over 2% but there is nothing particularly hard about it and its not too long. 

Same with Magicka 2, it has some boring grind at the end but it is not really hard and playing it with 2 or 3 Friends makes it acutally enjoyable.

15 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

On the plus side though, clearly it was used as a test for some tech that eventually went into Horizon: Zero Dawn - and that alone makes it a worthwhile endeavour 1f61c.png

I see. I did a bit of research myself and the grind looks horrific anyway, bots or not, so it doesn't look worth my time so I'll just give the campaign a go on an alt on my PS5 and call it a day

• Like 1

The Kingdom Hearts fanbase is dedicated, because all of the games feel much more common than they should be. Nearly all of them are difficult and time consuming.

On the other hand, Dust: An Elysian Tale was quite easy, and certainly short, yet it's below 10% (which is rarer than some of the Kingdom Hearts games). It was a PS Plus game on launch, but I find PS Plus doesn't have much of an effect on the rarity. Final Fantasy VII Remake hasn't dropped much since it became a PS Plus game.

• Like 1

Madden 16 - 21 Platinums - Easily all should be north of 10% as opposed to being ultra rares. Most sports fans just don't care about trophies.

Furi - 1.59% plat rarity, should easily be 3-4%. It was a PS+ game, but the game is incredibly fair and kind even on Furier, allowing up to 30 KO's for S rank run

Hollow Knight - It's at 8% thanks to the invincibility glitch. Without, I easily believe it's <2% and only that high since the HK fanbase is HARDCORE

Persona 5 - An insanely demanding platinum yet it sits at 10.40% since it's most peoples beloved JRPG. It'd prob be <5% otherwise

Guacamelee 2! - I don't know how it's at 33%. It's so much harder than that. Should be 18% range ish

1 hour ago, realm722 said:

Persona 5 - An insanely demanding platinum yet it sits at 10.40% since it's most peoples beloved JRPG. It'd prob be <5% otherwise

Honestly for a JRPG, Persona 5's plat is not really hard.  You can set the difficulty so you can't game over outside of one battle and maxing social links has so much leeway that you almost don't even need a guide.  It also doesn't require completing multiple playthroughs and the NG+ only content can be accessed pretty quickly.  10% is quite a fair rarity for the game.

As far as mine:

Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes - Why isn't this a UR plat?  It's a 150-200 hour long plat, has a trophy that relies on RNG and has some trophies that are actually reasonably challenging.  Not one of my UR plats took as long to get as this and most of them has no challenge at al.

Most Japanese stacks or Japanese only releases - Nearly all of these have an inflated rarity with stuff like lengthy JRPGs having uncommon plats when the NA/EU stacks would have a much lower rarity.

Any VN with a guide that has a lower 50% rarity - Seriously, why?  Even if you didn't like it these aren't hard to finish.

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...because it’s so Goddamned good, my brain cannot fathom anyone playing it and not wanting to squeeze every last trophy out of it, right down to the pulp 1f606.png

I plan on going for it sometime here it looks like a lot of fun and I hear it isnt as difficult as people made it out to be when it first released.   I just heard it is a long platinum so I want to start it on a long weekend or a holiday so I can grind a chunk of it out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, realm722 said:

Madden 16 - 21 Platinums - Easily all should be north of 10% as opposed to being ultra rares. Most sports fans just don't care about trophies.

Agreed! Ridiculously easy platinums to get.

Steep should be a lot higher than it is. I think when the game launched, there were only 115 challenges and two of them were extremely difficult to pass. The game added a few more challenges down the road which made getting the 115 challenges trophy a lot easier.

Alright, I'll name a few examples in both cases, where the rarity should be higher or lower: 

Games that should have a lower rarity: 

• S58a3b9.png - The End is Nigh: 6.42%.
    Edmund Mc Millen's hardest game, as he said so himself. The platinum is not as challenging as Edmund's other famous game, Super Meat Boy (on consoles... the Steam achievements of TEiN are far harder than SMB), but with a higher player count (or if the game came to PS+), this would easily be around 1.5%.  

• Sa8744b.png - Hollow Knight: 9.43%.  
    If not for the invincibility glitch, yet another game that would easily be sub-2%. The amount of practice required to beat the fifth pantheon would definitely be THE platinum blocker for most players. 

• S33d920.png - Final Fantasy IX: 7.18%.
    Yeah... This one should be UR, probably around 2%, but someone out there wrote a little script to simply AFK the hardest trophy in the game, the 1000 rope-jump minigame. 
  •  

Games that should have a higher rarity: 

• Sc10ccc.png - Broforce: 0.5%. 
    You can cheese the Hardcore-campaign pretty hard, so I wouldn't expect this game to be even UR, yet here we are... sub 1%! Same rarity as Action Henk, for example, which is way, WAY harder to complete. I'd put it at... 6-7%. 

• Sf02dc8.png - 10 Second Ninja X: 0.66%. 
    Yet another game that is pretty easy and still sub-1%. Maybe the unrewarding trophy list has something to do with players not bothering to put in the practice, but for a 8-hour game, the rarity should be way higher. Maybe 3-4%? Maybe even higher. 

• S12ccd5.png - Injustice: Gods Among Us: 0.16%
    What? ? Sure, the game is a piece of garbage, but it is easy-ish even for someone without experience with fighting games (like, you know, myself...). Should be at least 3% I feel. Definitely doesn't deserve to be rarer than the harder fighting games. 
Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

Let's see, from games that I own...

Games that should have a lower rarity:

• Cuphead (17.71%) - Not by much, but you can unlock the entire game with that two player account thing.
  • Crash Bandicoot (10.16%) - How are y'all so damn proficient at this game? xD  
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ(2.37%) - This is a rare exception, it should have a lower rarity because of the Zeni exploit (without it, it should be sub 1%). I am so glad the Zeni exploit exists though...

Stealing the first 2 from @Arcesius , my bad:dance:

• Broforce(0.5%) - game is not really that hard and it's not a bad game either, not sure why it's <1%
  • Injustice Gods Among Us(0.16%) - How in the name of Lord Superman is this game at 0.16% completion? Sure, it's not THE BEST fighting game, many people got it for free but...this thing is way easier than Street Fighter 4. Does nobody know how to use Solomon Grundy? xD I mean ok, online is a pain and STAR LABS also but...man, considering that UMvC3 and Persona 4 Arena have higher completion rates...what?? 
  • Mortal Kombat X(1.73%) - if only Invasions worked properly...in this game you can even cheese the online wins in a row via save backup.
  • Lords of the Fallen(4.23%) - This game is UR only because it's a dumpster fire. It's a functional dumpster fire but garbage nonetheless. It doesn't deserve the UR status though...
  • Devil May Cry 5(2.95%) - Bless Dante's hat exploits/Nero's Ragtime exploits/V's woop woop dash exploits. Glad that this game is tough, but it should be way higher in terms of rarity. Want a real stinker that deserves its rarity completion?Try DMC4. You will cry.
  • Batman Arkham City(PS3, 4.58%) - I ain't talking about the DLC, those have justified rarity. But the main game is accessible to platinum.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...because it’s so Goddamned good, my brain cannot fathom anyone playing it and not wanting to squeeze every last trophy out of it, right down to the pulp 1f606.png

I keep seeing you post about this game on different threads I'm thinking i'm gonna have to play the damn thing.  I was going to do phantom doctrine for some nice ultra rare percentages but maybe i'll do invisible inc instead.  

• Like 2

Just now, steel6burgh said:

I keep seeing you post about this game on different threads I'm thinking i'm gonna have to play the damn thing.  I was going to do phantom doctrine for some nice ultra rare percentages but maybe i'll do invisible inc instead.  

YES! 

Hahah, my work is done!

I must admit, it's nice to finally be becoming known for boring people about a different game than Prey - Now I have two games to pester people to play ?

• Like 1

I suppose I'll start with my list:

Games that should have lower rarity:

L683f79.png

• Ducati - 90th Anniversary (42%) - I honestly have no idea how this is at 42 percent rarity. Granted it's pretty easy overall as you get rewinds and setting the difficulty to Very Easy makes the AI laughably easy to deal with. But the six time trials you have to do for the platinum were a bit hectic. Auto brake must be turned off and you really need to learn how to cut corners to score Bronze on the time trials. Scoring a Gold requires a bit of skill and knowing the tracks inside and out, it's difficult. I only managed one Gold in the six trials, and one Silver. The rest I was only able to get a Bronze.

Lab9533.png

• Dark Souls (16.50%) - It still baffles me how the entire Dark Souls franchise, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice have such high rarity percentages for their trophy lists. My guess is there is still a dedicated fanbase who know every trick in these games, but a better guess would be that people stick through with the games because of their exceptionally high quality. All games can easily punish you for simple mistakes. Early on in Dark Souls I had to be wary of Basilisks who could curse my character if I died to their mist, and there was no way to get rid of that curse for me until later in the game. The Watchdog in the Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne was difficult, keeping track of that Character/World Tendency bullshit in Demon's Souls was hectic. Definitely think the trophy rarities are an inaccurate measure for how hard and time consuming these games are. Of course, you can co-op these games except for Sekiro, but still...

L336610.png

• Call of Duty Classic (11.09%) - Mostly easy, but then there is Veteran difficulty. Unlike modern Call of Duty games, Call of Duty Classic does not have regenerative health. Instead you must find and grab health packs which heal you. Veteran takes out all health packs, enemies kill you in just two - three shots. This game also has the annoying habit of making a checkpoint when you are at half health. You cannot gain full health until you beat the entire mission, which means you will be doing a lot of trial and error throughout the game.

L4ff886.png

• Dead Space 2 (6.43%) - Hard Core Mode is extremely nerve wrecking, due to only having three saves. A kill can send you back hours. This happened to me a few times as Necromorphs and other monsters got the jump on me. Also died in a couple free fall sections which sent me back a ways. Definitely recommend this game, one of the few horror themed titles I enjoyed from start to finish.

L99a9a6.png

• DOOM II (1.69%) - My current nemesis. Nightmare Co-op is unfair, insane, hectic, nerve wrecking, soul destroying, ridiculous and whatever adjective I can think of that can describe a miserable experience. I will have to downgrade to version 1.03 if I have any hopes of earning the platinum trophy.

L4ec483.png

• Aaru's Awakening (2.19%) - None of the trophies are all too hard with a little practice. It's a fairly obscure platformer, so my guess is this was once on PS Plus and most people just gave up for lack of interest.

Lfe0221.png

• Driveclub (4.97%) - This was another game that was subject to many people trying it out on PS Plus only to stop playing. Base game trophies are easy but a bit time consuming. The DLC is a different story.

L5a1b93.png

• Madden NFL 11 (4.12%) - Most sports games have low rarity because a majority of people just play them purely for fun. Trophy lists in these games aren't exactly exciting, and even in newer sports games you usually have to adjust sliders for various players to get a number of trophies. This wasn't difficult, it just required a bit of luck.

L25afc0.png

• Saints Row Gat Out of Hell (9.82%) - A rather medicore open world game starring Gat and Kinzie. Felt Saints Row the Third and Saints Row IV were better, but thankfully Gat Out of Hell wasn't too grindy. Trophies are fairly easy, and like the other games I listed this was a PS Plus title that most people didn't finish.

L172c11.png

• Until Dawn (17.86%) - Not a hard game at all. Trophies are easy, only the cheap jumpscares from the monsters are the difficult part, as well as certain actions like leaving your PS4 controller completely still.

That's all on my list. Everything else I think has the proper rarity statistics.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Lab9533.png

• Dark Souls (16.50%) - It still baffles me how the entire Dark Souls franchise, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice have such high rarity percentages for their trophy lists. My guess is there is still a dedicated fanbase who know every trick in these games, but a better guess would be that people stick through with the games because of their exceptionally high quality. All games can easily punish you for simple mistakes. Early on in Dark Souls I had to be wary of Basilisks who could curse my character if I died to their mist, and there was no way to get rid of that curse for me until later in the game. The Watchdog in the Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne was difficult, keeping track of that Character/World Tendency bullshit in Demon's Souls was hectic. Definitely think the trophy rarities are an inaccurate measure for how hard and time consuming these games are. Of course, you can co-op these games except for Sekiro, but still...

Totally agree ???

And may I say - it is good to hear someone who has those plats admit so, and not fall into the predictable, line-towing untruths that seems to accompany finishing those games.

Funny how they seem to be very difficult, until someone beats them, and then magically, they are oh-so-easy ?

As someone who has all Souls platinums, and a good majority of the Souls-adjacent plats too (Mortal Shell / Sekiro/ Bloodborne / Surge / Salt and Sanctuary etc.), I find there is nothing more tiresome and irksome than people who have those games, suddenly declaring to the people still struggling with them that "LoL, ThOsE GaMeS R EzPz, JuSt GiT gUd nOoB!"

Unfortunately, the high completion percentage feeds into that false narrative, and only serves to make those struggling to complete the games feel even more crushed by them. It's nothing but electronic bullying - we should be fostering an environment of encouragement, not ridicule - after all, we only completed those games because we loved them - why would we not want others to love them just as much as we do?

The fact is, those games are difficult, and, like you articulate above, the high completion percentage is a testament to their quality, not their difficulty!

Anyone who says otherwise is a guide user, an exploit-abuser, a cad, a bounder, or a practiced and inveterate liar!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

8 hours ago, realm722 said:

Guacamelee 2! - I don't know how it's at 33%. It's so much harder than that. Should be 18% range ish

The only reason this doesn't surprise me is this happened with the first game as well. For quite awhile it was around the mid 30s, and gradually dropped over time.

38 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Dark Souls (16.50%) - It still baffles me how the entire Dark Souls franchise, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice have such high rarity percentages for their trophy lists. My guess is there is still a dedicated fanbase who know every trick in these games, but a better guess would be that people stick through with the games because of their exceptionally high quality. All games can easily punish you for simple mistakes. Early on in Dark Souls I had to be wary of Basilisks who could curse my character if I died to their mist, and there was no way to get rid of that curse for me until later in the game. The Watchdog in the Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne was difficult, keeping track of that Character/World Tendency bullshit in Demon's Souls was hectic. Definitely think the trophy rarities are an inaccurate measure for how hard and time consuming these games are. Of course, you can co-op these games except for Sekiro, but still...

The series is notorious for its difficulty. Most people know what they would be getting themselves into. I'm betting that's why Demon's Souls is quite a bit lower than the rest, seeing as it was the original.

Games I own

Lower rarity:

Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode 1: Untouchable Trophy

This trophy was hard, even for sonic fanboys. I would say it deserves to be an UR trophy, not a VeryRare. 

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed 1.45% 

People who used the glitch for Yokozuna trophy high up the rarity, but if you do not own the DLC the glitch will not work and you will have to beat all those damn ghost tracks of developers, they are really hard. I for some reason at the end could use the glitch and it worked, but it does nothing because I spent all the night beating almost all of them. This game should be 0.90.

Duke Nukem Forever 5% rarity.

The hardest diff was a pain in tbe ass, for meit should be UR plat at least.

As @AJ_Radiosays, I would include all Dark Souls/Demon's and Bloodborne games.

Should have higer rarity:

Little Big Planet 3 (2.85%)

Come on, 5% at most it should be