Vita Platinum Summer (Real trophy hunter shit) -All done, thanks for playing

12 hours ago, FrumpleOrz said:

Haha, I'm shameless and simply don't care about how anyone might think about my plats.  I think I'm just getting old and like what I like.  I enjoy the games and that's all that matters in the end, right?  Like I figure I've played a lot of the Ratalika games on PC in some form already without trophies and enjoyed them (Distraint and Football Game are two games that I loved before even finding out they have console/handheld ports for example) and if I had let the idea of easy plats get into my head, I would've missed out on some great games.  I get there's a stigma around that stuff but at the end of the day, a good game's a good game, right?  I dunno, I'm also hammered right now so maybe I'm just in a really forgiving mood.

It's not so much that I care about my list or what people think of it but rather what I find satisfying. I love 100% lists with no platinum. I have almost as many 100% lists as I have platinums. Even if they are easy its satisfying playing a smaller game and getting the 100% as it feels like I have experienced everything or nearly everything the game has to offer.

With 90%+ plats it often feels like in order to experience everything I often feel like I have to keep playing well beyond the platinum. I would actually prefer to play them on PC where available to avoid trophies in cases like this. It's almost like the trophy list can detract from the game in a way. There are exceptions of course. I genuinely enjoyed every second of My Name is Mayo for example. I think its a brilliant piece of satire and am very happy to have that plat because it felt satisfying to me. I got to experience all of it to get the plat.

I also think I am a bit like you and enjoy some objectively terrible games.

Edited by MrHealthy

7 minutes ago, MrHealthy said:

It's not so much that I care about my list or what people think of it but rather what I find satisfying. I love 100% lists with no platinum. I have almost as many 100% lists as I have platinums. Even if they are easy its satisfying playing a smaller game and getting the 100% as it feels like I have experienced everything or nearly everything the game has to offer.

With 90%+ plats it often feels like in order to experience everything I often feel like I have to keep playing well beyond the platinum. I would actually prefer to play them on PC where available to avoid trophies in cases like this. It's almost like the trophy list can detract from the game in a way. There are exceptions of course. I genuinely enjoyed every second of My Name is Mayo for example. I think its a brilliant piece of satire and am very happy to have that plat because it felt satisfying to me. I got to experience all of it to get the plat.

I also think I am a bit like you and enjoy some objectively terrible games.

I totally get that.  I have noticed that I play games completely differently on PC where I'm not chasing trophies, so expectations would be way different.  I guess I wonder how I would view Super Weekend Mode if I hadn't played a version of it on itch.io a while before I downloaded it on Vita for example. A super quick plat but it's a surprisingly complex game in a deceptively simple arcade style.  If I had just burned through it for the trophies, I probably wouldn't have gotten much out of it or continued to think about it.  I see your view on that.

Mayo is a legit great game, I agree.  There's a knowledge there about games that only someone who loves the medium could make it.  I haven't picked up the sequel, does it keep the satire sharp?

There's something about bad games that make them interesting.  They're memorable in different ways than good ones and a merely mediocre game is forgotten for a reason.  A bad game can become great once you get on its level too.  Like whenever I hook up my Saturn, the games I go to aren't the heavy hitters like a Panzer Dragoon or Virtua Fighter, it's stuff like D or Double Switch.  My absolute favorite game to play after drinking a little much is Club 3DO Station Invasion and getting upset that I can't do basic math.  There's just something fun about Ride To Hell: Retribution or Virtuoso being complete warhellrides, to borrow a phrase from Wesley Willis.  Approaching them for what they are instead of what they aren't kinda rules, y'know?  I'm also willing to accept that I'm broken, lmao.

• Like 1

+10 Plats

Alteric

Norman's Great Illusion

The Tower of Beatrice

Legend of the Skyfish

The Long Reach

Guard Duty

Dying: Reborn

Little Adventure on the Prairie

Dull Grey

Takotan

Spoiler

Cosmic Star Heroine

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

Awesome Pea

Active Neurons

Planet RIX-13

A Winter's Daydream

Energy Cycle Edge

Awesome Pea 2

Drowning

Bucket Knight

Swordbreaker: The Game

Breeder Homegrown: Director's Cut

Fifty Words by POWGI

Color Slayer

Grass Cutter

Furwind

Riddled Corpses EX

Mixups by POWGI

Habroxia

Just a Phrase by POWGI

Crypto by POWGI

Tic Tac Letters by POWGI

One Word by POWGI

Word Sudoku by POWGI

Just Ignore Them

Wordsweeper by POWGI

Word Maze by POWGI

Random Heroes: Gold Edition

Energy Invasion

Squareboy vs. Bullies

New: 10

Total: 40 Plats

I'm coming up on my 450th platinum milestone. I'm thinking about making it Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales that came with my PS5. For now, here's more Vita platinums from my collection: 

1. S1dcc0a.png

2. S040560.png (One Word by POWGI)

3. S7decc8.png (Tic-Tac Letters by POWGI)

4. S0d353f.png 

Total Vita Platinums :platinum:: 42

Total Vita ?%: 1

On 5/29/2021 at 0:37 PM, FrumpleOrz said:

I haven't picked up the sequel, does it keep the satire sharp?

I haven't played it yet. Was thinking of saving it for my 250th plat when I get there.

Lac7375.png

#185 - The Longest 5 Minutes

The premise is that you start the game at the final boss but you have lost your memories and replay segments of the RPG as memories, sometimes in non linear order. It bills itself as an old school RPG like the original Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games with an art style reminiscent of the Earth Bound games. No items carry over between memories so it encourages you to play fast and loose with the items you do have. May as well use them since you can't take them to a different memory. The problem is that you quickly realize that the RPG sections have no real difficulty to them outside bosses, and even the bosses don't take much strategy. Ultimately it makes any sort of item management and many items useless. The RPG segments are fairly shallow, and as the game progresses the dungeons become more and more maze like but the art style means there is little in the way of landmarks making navigation a pain. I ended up just using the Repel magic to avoid random battles for the most part. I would not recommend this game as an RPG.

However, this game is actually a pretty good visual novel. The segments with the final boss is purely a visual novel, with a few alternative choices along the way. And it uses the RPG segments in a very good way to build characters and relationships. I felt invested by the end. Overall it was an enjoyable game, and with a trophy list that's fairly easy, pretty much just do all the side quests in the RPG segments, and unlock all alternate memories / endings.

L0eab9b.png

#186 -  Awesome Pea

I did this on PS4 before and hated it. But I thought for the current price I would give it another shot, maybe I was too harsh before. I wasn't, its still a bad game, but not even good bad. Controls feel slippery, the art is too messy and I had trouble seeing things frequently. Level design was all over the place, some levels being stupid easy, others being frustratingly hard with blind jumps and cheap deaths. The music was also super annoying. No good.

Ld09770.png

#187 - Awesome Pea 2

A pretty significant improvement. The art is a lot more clear and readable, the music for the most part is better and the controls feel a lot more tight. Level design was mostly better, felt more consistent and fair. There were still a few levels that relied on blind jumps or crazily tight timings. Overall a mediocre game but still a step up over the first one.

Total Plats: 13

Total 100%: 12

Got my first 100% with Shakedown: Hawaii. This game was the shit, old school GTA 1 & 2 vibes and ended up having way more content than I had initially thought. I'll probably end up playing the PS5 version too for that plat at some point lol.

1. Severed (100%) :platinum: 

2. Lego The Lord of the Rings (100%) :platinum: 

3. Thunder Paw (100%) :platinum:

4. Reverie (100%) :platinum:

5. Reed 2 (100%) :platinum:

6. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (100%) :platinum:

7. Shakedown: Hawaii (100%)

Total :platinum: Count: 6

Total ?% Count: 1

• Like 1

Ld1d2f6.png

100% - Murasaki Baby

Absolutely brilliant exclusive. A standout use of the vita's touch controls and really shows what can be done with touch controls. Both creppy and adorable at the same time. The price is a little hard to swallow for how short it is, but its something I am overjoyed for having played.

Lf5cb6c.png

100% - The Walking Dead Season Two

I have already beaten this twice. Once on PC, and once on PS3. So I literally only payed attention when it was required to advance the game. Basically free trophies while I watched some netflix.

L446bb5.png

#188 - Norman's Great Illusion

An interesting concept that is far to heavy handed in its messaging, with 2 bad mini-games making the bulk of the gameplay. Why is rapid fire math problems the main gameplay? Why is there a second driving mini-game where you just press x at the right time? They make no sense in the context of what its trying to say. I did enjoy just how many endings there are though.

Total Plats: 14

Total 100%: 14

I'm back from vacation and everything has been updated. Y'all killed it while I was away. Got 2 myself while on vacation. Metropolis: Lux Obscura and Awesome Pea Collection.

1S0bf0b6.png1S9d8c7f.png

5 hours ago, dzstrpc said:

Update. My new total is 67 plats.

If I can be updated instead of cr1s this time?

Feel like i'm not gonna hear the end of this one for a while. You have been updated correctly and are the current number one plat earner of the summer. Great job yo. Seriously. It's awesome to see everyone get these Vita plats.

• Like 1

On 2021-06-10 at 6:47 AM, DoctorDrPepper said:

Feel like i'm not gonna hear the end of this one for a while.

You're right. Just one more thing.

cr1s' latest post on April 30th says his total is 50 plats. He still has 53 on the leaderboard.

Maybe you can fix that and the leaderboard will be correct again.

On 6/10/2021 at 0:47 AM, DoctorDrPepper said:

I'm back from vacation and everything has been updated. Y'all killed it while I was away. Got 2 myself while on vacation.

Welcome back! Hope your vacation was good.

I have slowed down myself. Between a lot of online boosting, some more involved games and planning my 200th plat I haven't been completing as much.

Ld4585f.png

#189 - Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken

A pretty fun and funny run and gun. Absolutely horrendous netcode for the co-op though. Huge shout out to @FrumpleOrz for suffering through the co-op with me twice (once for their trophy, once for mine). I do recommend the game but do the PS3 or PS4 versions over the Vita version.

L65af9f.png

#190 - Lara Croft GO

I enjoyed Hitman GO enough. But grew tired of its board game aesthetic. This on the other hand is far more cinematic and felt like a proper tomb raider game in puzzle form. The main puzzles were just complex enough that it was fun and I was able to finish without using the hint system. The two bonus chapter broke me though. Got way to complex and involved. The hint system will literally just show you the correct way to finish the level though making the plat very easy if you hit a brick wall like I did.

Total Plats: 16

Total 100%: 14

just got nr 9 myself physical version of roommates had so much abd luck with this one glad to have finaly be done with this one

edit: I just noticed my plat amount has been lowered why? I ahd 6 in the rankings before now 3  while that should be 9 at this point instead

Edited by visvoer18

On 5/29/2021 at 11:00 AM, MrHealthy said:

Haha, I'm shameless and simply don't care about how anyone might think about my plats.  I think I'm just getting old and like what I like.

Yep, same here. I am hitting middle age next December so I can't afford to spend too much time with games I am not going to invest 100% in. I want to get to 238 platinums before I die of old age, so if I have to take some cashgrubby games just to get my numbers up, so be it. (I platinumed 50 really grubby games after my 40th in a marathon session which failed spectacularly due to my age causing me to get tired too often.)

I've slowed way down lately.  I've got one more game completed to add though!

Lf33da7.png

Sir Eatsalot  - This is a game that I like everything about aside from actually playing it.  It has great graphics, fantastic animation, and the jokes actually land for the most part.  As a game though, it's just not fun to play.  It's a combination of platformer and adventure game but it does neither genre very well.  The platforming just feels slow and off, with the jumping never working quite right and the adventure aspect has so much backtracking for fetch quests that becomes obnoxious fast.  And the endless talking and conversations that ruin the pacing of the game.  It's most prominent in the beginning of the game but the dialog stops you what feels like every two screens.  When it finally lets you play with little interruption, it's a dark underground tunnel system that is a nightmare to navigate and you have to recharge your light to be able to get around.  I appreciate that the devs attempted to use all of the Vita's gimmicks in the game but in the end, it's just not fun to play.  Oh well.

TOTALS SINCE MARCH 30:

Platinums: 46

100%: 14

7 hours ago, MrHealthy said:

#189 - Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken

A pretty fun and funny run and gun. Absolutely horrendous netcode for the co-op though. Huge shout out to @FrumpleOrz for suffering through the co-op with me twice (once for their trophy, once for mine). I do recommend the game but do the PS3 or PS4 versions over the Vita version.

Hey, that's me!  I'm glad I could help and thank you for helping me with the trophy on my end.  I'm glad we could actually get it to work after all of the struggles!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

Went back and fixed some errors. Don't know what happened there. Apologies. Sometimes names get switched up in my head.

Also, announcement. This event is ending at the end of the month. Ever since the decision to kill the vita got reversed we've all kinda slowed down. But he had a great almost three months of Vita celebration and that's cool.

On July 1st i'm gonna hold a drawing out of everyone who has participated and someone will win a $25 NA PSN gift code (minus myself of course).

So enjoy the last few weeks of Vita Summer and then keep playing it forever.

Very cool, thanks so much for this thread.  It helped me get back into the Vita and I appreciate you looking after the event.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, DoctorDrPepper said:

Went back and fixed some errors. Don't know what happened there. Apologies. Sometimes names get switched up in my head.

Also, announcement. This event is ending at the end of the month. Ever since the decision to kill the vita got reversed we've all kinda slowed down. But he had a great almost three months of Vita celebration and that's cool.

On July 1st i'm gonna hold a drawing out of everyone who has participated and someone will win a $25 NA PSN gift code (minus myself of course).

That's fair. Since we are ending early I will try and knock out a few more easy/fast ones instead of tackling the longer ones I had been considering!

On 6/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, DoctorDrPepper said:

Thanks for hosting this event. It has been fun getting to know the Vita for the first time and posting here with y’all. I’m in the Gaming By Numbers event too so maybe I can grab a few more Vita games before this event ends. ^_^

L75f354.png

100% - Monster Bag

Similar to Murasaki Baby which I played earlier, this is an exclusive that mixes touch screen and face button controls to solve puzzles while telling a cute but also creepy story. I think I prefered the story in this one as it was surprisingly violent, featuring a lot of dark comedy. But I found the controls and gameplay to be worse then Murasaki Baby. Often just being more frustrating then fun simply because it required a lot of waiting for humans to not be looking. Overall, it was okay. I'd recommend it if it was on sale, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

L3b4d21.png

#191 - Football Game

I played this on the praise of @FrumpleOrz. It did not disappoint. It's a short point and click adventure which builds tension beautifully. The entire time you know that something is wrong but you don't know what. Talking to other characters slowly puts the pieces together and hints as to whats happened. But it never quite tells you directly, even at the end of the game, it leaves a lot of it open to your own interpretation. Which if you are not great at reading between the lines I can see that being annoying, but I loved it. Surprisingly solid physiological thriller this is. I'll be checking out this developers other work.

L62c2bc.png

100% - Floating Cloud God Saves the Pilgrims in HD!

This was just kind of boring. It started out as a highly rated PS Mini before getting a native port to Vita. It's a horizontal shmup where you have to protect 8 little pilgrims walking on the ground below you. But despite the levels being fairly short the pilgrims move so slow it felt like a chore. I also didn't like the way the shooting and aiming felt. The way it kicks you back a little with every shot was kind of annoying. I also found a few too many instances of my pilgrims getting killed by enemies spawning in a position off screen or behind the level decals that you can not anticipate until it happens to you.

L50e8ce.png

#192 - Active Neurons

An okay puzzle game. Nothing to strenuous to solve here. I think I only used the solution button 3 times. Gonna do the bonus levels despite having the plat because it was enjoyable enough. Nothing really to complain about.

Total Plats: 18

Total 100%: 16

Edited by MrHealthy