[Fixed March 10, 2023] Can't install games on my PS3. Error code: 80029509

Caquis_1

On monday I decided to buy a few games because of the store closure, as it was a bit late and I was tired I didn't try to install them until yesterday. The 4 dlc's for COD: Ghosts downloaded without a problem but when I try to download the other 2 games I bought, I either get one of this 2 error codes: 80029509 or 80029721. I read that the second code have something to do with 2-factor authenticator but on the account I buy games I don't use it, also looking for solutions, I read that all I have to do is turn off my PS3 and keep trying after some time have passed but was wondering if anybody it's experiencing the same problem or have a good solution for this.

• Like 3

i have the same problem since yesterday. When I try to install a game or dlc it shows the error: An error ocurred during the install operation. (80029509)

Also i tried to download by the PlaystationStore and  its the same but the error is (80029721)

Edited by samishii20
My post was moved
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caquis_1 said:

I either get one of this 2 error codes: 80029509 or 80029721.

2 minutes ago, samishii20 said:

its the same but the error is (80029721)

This post says to turn off 2 factor authentication (double check that it might be turned on, even if you didn't turn it on) and then sign out and sign back in to PSN (https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/5c2dqo/psp_2_step_authentication_error_code_80029721/)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

This post says to turn off 2 factor authentication (double check that it might be turned on, even if you didn't turn it on) and then sign out and sign back in to PSN (https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/5c2dqo/psp_2_step_authentication_error_code_80029721/)

I tried but it doesnt work 

the weird thing is i can download games from my us account, but on europa or asia i got the message "An error ocurred during the install operation. (80029509)"

• Like 2

I managed to get one game downloading.

The error code appears to change from time to time, so I checked if the 2-factor authenticator was off (it was), restarted my router and connect again to the internet on my PS3 and it started downloading. 

• Like 1

Is everyone still having issues with this?

Since yesterday I have been unable to install content or play any games I have downloaded.

I thought maybe if I deactivate and then re-activate my PS in account settings that it might fix it.

But I keep getting error codes when I try to do either.

I 've checked that the 2-fator is off (it is).

I recently did the Alien vs Predator proxy server thing to get the 2 XP trophies, and now I'm worried I've done something bad.  

But don't think this has caused anything because I was playing a download game after I put my internet settings back to normal.

Edited by objectioner
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RockySanchez666 said:

Had this error today, I deactivated ps3 but still getting error? Been trying to download and play downloads for hours but no avail, also i don't gave 2 step verification on, any advice please

Have you reached out to PlayStation Support?

• Like 1

i think it has nothing to do with HDD, 2FA or the model of ps3.... many people around the world has the same problem.

Today i bought Starhawk and i could dowload without problems so i thought it was fixed but then went to my PSN Spain ACC and tried to dowload Rayman Legends  and i got the 80029509 error

• Like 2

I have the same problem, can't download game that I bought. Tried both with 2FA and with reinstaling PSStore on my PS3, but nothing helped. Was anyone able to reach Support? I'm guessing that the problem is on Sony, not with hardware.

Edited by Massiv1027
  • Like 1

It's almost definitely an issue with PSN, been noticing looooads of threads about this on other sites since yesterday:

It's likely due to a bunch of people mass buying/downloading games off the PS3 store right now before its closure.

Those getting issues just installing/playing already downloaded games though seems a bit strange. It's unlikely to be consequence, it probably is related to the issues with downloading in general (some of the threads I linked mention the same issues), but I can't imagine why that would affect installs/playing anything. I would definitely say try and reach out to support about this if it persists, but they tend to be kind of iffy when it comes to PS3 nowadays. Some reps are still willing to help though. It's a little worrying that games you already have downloaded would be getting affected and therefore unplayable, to say the least.

For anyone having these issues, are games you've had downloaded/installed for a while (long before the announcement of the stores closing) having the same issue? And did you recently buy anything off the store? Seems like some kind of authentication issue on Sony's end causing games to fail to install or launch I'd imagine. There's been times in the past where PSN has been having issues, causing downloaded games to not be able to launch for those playing them on a PS4 not set as their primary, I assume this is similar, but it's just conjecture on my part. From what I've heard from others, it seems the issues with downloaded games no longer launching seems to just be affecting those that have recently bought something on the PS3 store. Not sure what's up with that, but hopefully it gets resolved soon, but knowing Sony, and with how long they took to fix the PSN issues a month ago (and several other issues in the past year and a bit), it could take a while.

Haven't been having issues myself, but the last things I downloaded were back on Monday or Tuesday (and I haven't bought anything recently). I still need to download a few things tonight or tomorrow, so I'll see if I run into the issue myself. Haven't had any issues playing already downloaded games, at least not as of yesterday.

• Like 2

Hello there - just stumbled across this while looking for solutions to this very problem!

I'm trying to get in contact with someone at Playstation's phone line right now...currently I'm waiting on a call-back.  I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

FWIW, I'm experiencing this on a PS3 Super Slim and the error code I've received is 80029509.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ilpalazzo150 said:

Hello there - just stumbled across this while looking for solutions to this very problem!

I'm trying to get in contact with someone at Playstation's phone line right now...currently I'm waiting on a call-back.  I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

FWIW, I'm experiencing this on a PS3 Super Slim and the error code I've received is 80029509.

keep us updated. 

Had the same issue, 2FA was on, turned it off, signed back in, same issue again. Waited a day or so for the changes to take full effect. Was then able to download and activate content without issue.

Sadly we're gonna see more and more issues the closer we get to the deadline. Oddly but at this point not surprised I couldn't add funds to my wallet on the browser, tried my card and PayPal, kept getting network errors, changing browsers or using mobile data didn't make a difference.

In the end had to buy a PSN top-up code. So expect a lot of annoyances in the coming weeks with PSN, particularly activations and such.

On 3/31/2021 at 11:08 AM, Caquis_1 said:

On monday I decided to buy a few games because of the store closure, as it was a bit late and I was tired I didn't try to install them until yesterday. The 4 dlc's for COD: Ghosts downloaded without a problem but when I try to download the other 2 games I bought, I either get one of this 2 error codes: 80029509 or 80029721. I read that the second code have something to do with 2-factor authenticator but on the account I buy games I don't use it, also looking for solutions, I read that all I have to do is turn off my PS3 and keep trying after some time have passed but was wondering if anybody it's experiencing the same problem or have a good solution for this.

Same problem has been happening with me. Tried to buy some ps one classics before the store closed and I received the same two error codes when trying to download them and while trying to activate my system. Ever since I haven’t been able to play any of the ps3 games i’ve already bought and downloaded years ago. I talked to two people at sony via live chat and they were both too incompetent to figure out how this damn near 15 year old console works. They might as well just have told me to go fuck myself. Hoping it’ll just randomly start working as i keep trying like people have said it has.

10 minutes ago, ilpalazzo150 said:

Alrighty, just got off the phone with someone.

I explained the entire situation that I was experiencing.  Gave them the error code, told them it was happening with every old purchase in my account history, zero issues (on my end, anyway) with connecting the console to the internet, been back and forth with customer support both online and via phone, etc.  The bottom line?  They have no idea.

Now, with regards to the theory that a whole mess of people are downloading content from the PSN all at once so they can preserve their games - I brought this up as a potential reason.  He did not rule that out!  Unfortunately the phone reps are only trained in PS4/PS5 issues currently, everything else is being referred to the live chat team.  Earlier in the day, I spoke with a woman on the Playstation line who told me that things changed at the drop of a hat a few months ago with relation to customer service assisting with PS3/PSP/Vita.  She apparently came in one day and suddenly all support for those was switched to live chat ONLY.  Sounds like the communication is just as bad with their support team as it has been with developers regarding this.

In any event, the gentleman I spoke with said to continue trying to download in the coming days.  When I asked if this was something they've heard about or were aware of, he told me this was the first call he has received about it.  Not surprising since he more or less handles PS4/PS5 stuff, but still...

I'm going to try the live chat support again.  What kills me is that when I *did* contact someone through live chat, they referred me to the phone number!  They wanted me to get a "support ID" by talking with the automated chat bot for PSN purchase refunds, then use THAT ID to speak with someone directly.

All in all?  What a mess.  What an embarrassing mess.

You couldn’t have said it better, my last generation friend.

• Like 1

I’m having the same issue. Error 80029509. Bought a couple games for my PSP. I was able to download them to my PS3 but when I try to transfer them to my PSP I get that error. I checked my systems and it says my PS Vita, PS3, PS4, and PS5 are activated (everything works fine on those). I tried to activate my PSP and keep getting this error.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ilpalazzo150 said:

Unfortunately the phone reps are only trained in PS4/PS5 issues currently, everything else is being referred to the live chat team.

The thing is I talked with the live chat yesterday and the lady told me that they do not longer support PS3 problems, and to check this page https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/ and obviously theres nothing there about this problem. 

So we can only wait until people stop mass buying games and DLC's or get lucky.

• Like 1