[Fixed March 10, 2023] Can't install games on my PS3. Error code: 80029509

Caquis_1

24 minutes ago, DEMONICRUBLE18 said:

Translation straight from Google gotta say probably the most accurate translation I've ever seen especially considering the length. 

first, make sure you have the correct date set on your console via: [Settings] > [Date & Time Settings] > [Set Automatically].

Then, in the [PlayStation Network] menu, highlight [PlayStation Store] and then press the [Triangle] button on the DualShock 3 controller. From the list on the right, select and confirm the [Delete] option.  After deleting the app, you will be able to download the latest version of the PlayStation Store in its place with all necessary updates.

The next step will be to sign out of your account and restart your console.

Once done, sign in to your account and download the PlayStation Store app - select and launch PlayStation Store to install the app.

If that doesn't help, please do the following:

Go to [Game] > [Game Data Utility] > digital content with issues will be available here.  Please delete the game by pressing the triangle button on your controller and clicking "Delete".

Then start the console in safe mode and use option no: 3 and 4.

1. Make sure the power indicator on the console shows red.

2. Hold down the power button on the console;  The system will turn on and off again (you will see a red light on the console again).

3. When the system is shut down, press the power button again until you hear two more beeps.

4. After you hear two beeps, take your finger off the power button.

5. Connect the DualShock 3 controller via the USB cable, then press the PS button.

6. You will see the recovery menu on the screen.

Choose from the available options:

3. Restore file system - this option allows you to rebuild damaged files responsible for the proper launching of the console.  This step should not delete any saved data on the console.

4. Rebuild the database - this option is useful when you have lost saved data on the console for no reason.  In addition, this option fixes corrupted database files, eliminating problems with launching certain PlayStation 3 functions. This step should not delete any saved data on the console.

After completing these steps, download the game and install it.

If that doesn't help, try a different internet connection.

We hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, please contact the PlayStation Customer Care Center and one of our consultants will be more than happy to assist you.

I do not recommend doing this at all it's asking me to reformatt so I'll lose everything when I do step 3 I'm trying to find a way around this but it doesn't look promising atm

58 minutes ago, HashNameless said:

This is complete answer drom polish support (i am at work right jow and don't have time to translate but i think that google will do it just fine):

Na początek upewnij się, że posiadasz ustawioną poprawną datę na konsoli, poprzez: [Ustawienia] > [Ustawienia daty i godziny] > [Ustaw automatycznie].

Następnie, w menu [PlayStation Network] podświetl [PlayStation Store] a następnie przyciśnij [Trójkąt] na kontrolerze DualShock 3. Z listy po prawej stronie wybierz i zatwierdź opcję [Usuń]. Po usunięciu aplikacji w jej miejsce będzie możliwość pobrania najnowszej wersji sklepu PlayStation Store wraz z wszystkimi niezbędnymi aktualizacjami.

Kolejnym krokiem będzie wypisanie się ze swojego konta i uruchomienie ponownie konsoli.

Po wykonaniu tych czynności, wpisz się do swojego konta i pobierz aplikację sklepu PlayStation Store - wybierz i uruchom sklep PlayStation Store, aby zainstalować aplikację.

Jeśli to nie pomoże, prosimy wykonać następujące czynności:

Przejdź do [Gra] > [Narzędzie danych gier] > w tym miejscu dostępna będzie zawartość cyfrową, z którą występują problemy. Proszę usunąć grę naciskając przycisk trójkąt na kontrolerze i klikając w opcję "Usuń".

Następnie uruchom konsolę w trybie bezpiecznym i skorzystaj z opcji nr: 3 i 4.

1. Upewnij się, że wskaźnik zasilania na konsoli pokazuje czerwony kolor.

2. Przytrzymaj przycisk zasilania znajdujący się na konsoli; System ponownie włączy i wyłączy się (zobaczysz znowu czerwone światło na konsoli).

3. Kiedy system zostanie zamknięty, ponownie naciśnij przycisk włączenia, aż do usłyszenia dwóch kolejnych sygnałów.

4. Po usłyszeniu dwóch sygnałów, zdejmij palec z przycisku włączenia.

5. Podłącz kontroler DualShock 3 przez kabel USB, a następnie naciśnij przycisk PS.

6. Na ekranie zobaczysz menu w trybie bezpiecznym (Recovery Menu).

Spośród dostępnych opcji wybierz:

3. Przywróć system plików - opcja ta pozwala na odbudowę uszkodzonych plików odpowiadających za poprawne uruchamianie się konsoli. Krok ten nie powinien usunąć żadnych zapisanych danych na konsoli.

4. Ponownie odbuduj bazę danych - opcja ta jest przydatna w momencie, gdy bez powodu straciłeś zapisane dane na konsoli. Ponadto opcja ta naprawia uszkodzone pliki bazy danych eliminując problemy z uruchamianiem niektórych funkcji PlayStation 3. Krok ten nie powinien usunąć żadnych zapisanych danych na konsoli.

Po wykonaniu tych czynności pobierz grę i zainstaluj.

Jeśli to nie pomoże, przetestuj inne połączenie internetowe.

Mamy nadzieję, że to pomoże, ale jeśli masz jakiekolwiek inne pytania, skontaktuj się z Centrum Obsługi Klienta PlayStation, a jeden z naszych konsultantów z przyjemnością udzieli Tobie pomocy.

So far this advice is horrible doing the restore system file has defaulted into me needing to reformatt my PS3 I'm trying a work around that with rebuilding the database, going to sleep so not sure if that's going to work but if I have to reformatt, that's 5 accounts I need to set up again and re-download over 300 games which while annoyingly time consuming also seems to be completely impossible because we can't currently download games hence why I'm doing this in the first place so in other words PlayStation support just caused me a huge waste of time in addition to losing all my games for who knows how long until this is fixed plus my save data, which most backed up to PS+ only progress I'm really losing is my current progress in Ice Age which is just annoying.

However if reformatting ends up with me being able to download again then it's not so bad, I'll update as things happen. 

Edited by DEMONICRUBLE18

1 hour ago, Proteus-Ridley said:

Lol great advice Sony.

They really are bad, I would say 99% of them just copy and paste an automated response and don't have a clue what they are talking about. As soon as I get the do a database rebuild response I just close chat. 

13 hours ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

Xbox is no better, they just delisted a lot of content without warning. I went to download the dlc for hot pursuit (still there last week) and it has been delisted without warning. Mass effect 2 and 3 dlc the same despite being in the back compatible store. 

13 hours ago, manofgold2020 said:

oh thats actually good to know 
i havent heard about anything like that so thanks 

Microsoft did warn about some of those delistings beforehand and it was even mentioned in the Shutdown and delisting thread here on PSNP. Because at first it was not clear if this was a Microsoft only delisting or something coming from the publisher.

Start of the mention here on PSNP in the shutdown and delistings topic:

Link to announcement of Microsoft:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/xbox-360/store/xbox-360-marketplace-update

Edited by Kolm

9 minutes ago, Kolm said:

Microsoft did warn about some of those delistings beforehand and it was even mentioned in the Shutdown and delisting thread here on PSNP. Because at first it was not clear if this was a Microsoft only delisting or something coming from the publisher.

Start of the mention here on PSNP in the shutdown and delistings topic:

Link to announcement of Microsoft:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/xbox-360/store/xbox-360-marketplace-update

I knew about the ones planned to be delisted but nfs and mass effect went without warning 

im no Social Media Fan but can you not jsut go "berserk" on their official accounts?

If they just have 6 Questions from the same error they will never investigate it further.

I need a few days to look for that on my PS3 but a simple mail to the support i can write if this happens for me to. (and it will most likely)

Just now, ResiGamer_28 said:

I knew about the ones planned to be delisted but nfs and mass effect went without warning 

I didn't check the list for all countries but NFS and Mass Effect 3 are indeed not on the list for my country.

Mass effect 2 was on the list so when I did my checks on PS3, I also checked everything related to Mass Effect 1 and 3.
Apparently that was just me being overly cautious instead of acting on the actual list.

I also checked the other games and possible related games on PS as well to see if I was missing something or not.
But I wouldn't have checked NFS because not a single game of the series is mentioned in the list.

And on the xbox support site I also couldn't find a mention of it... Sad thing and I wasn't aware of it before your comment.
More and more people will start to understand why digital and digital only is a bad thing.

The thing as i mentioned before, is that any demo that i have i can download it just perfecly fine. The other things i can't. I was just trying out all of this just now. Main PS3 games, DLC, PS1 games and also Themes i can't seem to download them. But Demos, i tried all of them and they work just fine on first try... This can't be a network/PS Store app problem, it has to be a license problem. Or else i couldn't download anything. But like i said... Demos work fine on first try. It's just ridiculous... 

I tried every method known, taking out 2 step verification, using other passwords etc... I just won't delete the App store because that might do a full system reset and i am scared to lose everything else i have. I just need a DLC, if i can't get it, i can live without it. But all the other games and dlc i already have installed and lose all of that, i would be very disappointed and angry. Still need to do a backup from all of that... I think the more people start to have problems the more the situations gets to Sony. I Will e-mail them with my problems. 

It most likely is just a Sony issue. They will have to fix it on their end. My guess is the servers are just struggling to verify people's PSN purchases. Considering you can still buy games, I'm sure they will fix it or else they could get into a lot of legal trouble in certain countries for basically robbing people of their money. The best thing that can be done is people just let Sony know it's broken and wait for them to fix it.

Ive just made full factory reset with reinstalling 4.90 software from USB drive and nothing. I tried 4.89 software but there was an error "plug 4.90 or later", I was forced to install 4.90.

"I found the fix, Use the Google DNS 

It works for me"

Checked, doesnt work either.

Edited by im_Adrian--
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, im_Adrian-- said:

Ive just made full factory reset with reinstalling 4.90 software from USB drive and nothing. I tried 4.89 software but there was an error "plug 4.90 or later", I was forced to install 4.90.

"I found the fix, Use the Google DNS 

It works for me"

Checked, doesnt work either.

Sorry guys, It doesn't work on every game...

17 hours ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/03/widespread-ps3-ps-vita-issues-preventing-fans-from-downloading-games#reply it appears there is an ongoing issue with downloading of ps3 and vita content. I hope the new 'security update' hasn't deliberately broken this feature. 

Yeah I’m sure Sony purposefully broke this and it was all a pre meditated plan to make everyone buy PS5s and their evil plan is working.

Regarding contacting support it’s pretty useless, I’ve done some work surrounding “legacy”, products and the whole thing with it is with these old products the support that was offered would be minimal exactly how PS support are doing, no one will get actual support regarding this as they’ve most likely been told to get it moving as quickly as possible regarding the PS3/Vita queries. 

Everyone will most likely get the same basic tech support answer to keep things moving. 

Edited by SzzMN
  • Like 1

So, all my accounts (american, brazilian and japanese) are affected. I can't download games, DLCs and themes however I can download some demos (not all of them).

Thankfully most of my stuff is already installed, but I was planning to buy the last games I wanted from the store.

I have the faintest glimmer of hope this will be sorted out because the missing Ratchet & Clank Going Commando issue has been fixed.

All I can do now is wait...

8 hours ago, DEMONICRUBLE18 said:

So far this advice is horrible doing the restore system file has defaulted into me needing to reformatt my PS3 I'm trying a work around that with rebuilding the database, going to sleep so not sure if that's going to work but if I have to reformatt, that's 5 accounts I need to set up again and re-download over 300 games which while annoyingly time consuming also seems to be completely impossible because we can't currently download games hence why I'm doing this in the first place so in other words PlayStation support just caused me a huge waste of time in addition to losing all my games for who knows how long until this is fixed plus my save data, which most backed up to PS+ only progress I'm really losing is my current progress in Ice Age which is just annoying.

However if reformatting ends up with me being able to download again then it's not so bad, I'll update as things happen. 

So update I was forced to do the reformatt it was preparing to rebuild database the entire time I was sleeping so just did the reformatt upside that took like 10 seconds and I don't have to set up my accounts again which I'm happy about downside it deleted all my games and save data and the error is still popping up on my US,UK,Spanish,Japan and New Zealand accounts, so gonna have to wait for a fix to eventually happen.

10 hours ago, Danyy___85 said:

The thing as i mentioned before, is that any demo that i have i can download it just perfecly fine. The other things i can't. I was just trying out all of this just now. Main PS3 games, DLC, PS1 games and also Themes i can't seem to download them. But Demos, i tried all of them and they work just fine on first try... This can't be a network/PS Store app problem, it has to be a license problem. Or else i couldn't download anything. But like i said... Demos work fine on first try. It's just ridiculous... 

I tried every method known, taking out 2 step verification, using other passwords etc... I just won't delete the App store because that might do a full system reset and i am scared to lose everything else i have. I just need a DLC, if i can't get it, i can live without it. But all the other games and dlc i already have installed and lose all of that, i would be very disappointed and angry. Still need to do a backup from all of that... I think the more people start to have problems the more the situations gets to Sony. I Will e-mail them with my problems. 

Yes, I am thinking the same thing. It's most likely the latest update broke the licensing. That's why it will show 'Activating' when we try to download a game or dlc follow by the 80029509 error. I think the store is trying to read the license for the game in the 'Activating' phase and when it can't read that the user's PS3 is already activated as primary console and license is valid for that console, it gives the error.

So I don't think it has anything to do with 2FA, corrupted hard drive, internet connection and so on as many had tried and it doesn't work. Like many said, only thing we can do now is many people bring up the issue to Sony through their official website or social media to amplify the issue and hopefully they will fix it soon.

• Like 1