The story of a ten-year platinum

FinalFrank15

Congrats on the Plat! Back in the day I too failed to overcome Vettel the proper way. Only managed to beat him on Monza and glitched my way to Gold on the other two tracks. The Vettel Challenge was something otherworldly even to the most experienced Gran Turismo players because it introduced us to speeds two or three stages beyond what we were used to. Makes me kinda grateful they didn't add more trophies to GT Sport when the Lewis Hamilton DLC came out. Otherwise my 100% on that game would be a thing of the past now. 

• Like 3

Amazing testimony and a well deserved congrats!

I haven't played GT since GT2 on the PS1 (or any other car game for that matter), but I'm aware of this beast...when early PS3 games like this Warhawk and Resistance took your soul. I also hear a wheel is was practically mandatory, so that's another feather in your cap. I guess the question, what's next? :P 

• Like 2

Just saw this thread, and I'm impressed mate! The Gran Turismo plats are all tough and demanding, and you just got the hardest one of the three, well done! I enjoyed reading through your experience of it all; I like how you planned it all out once you got your hands back on the game, and stayed committed to it all the way to the platinum. A job well done indeed. ?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like reading such stories. For us the players, this whole venture in winning Platinum is often very emotional. Congratulations on the platinum trophy!

In October, last year, I returned to gaming after 7 years of being completely absent from the video game world. GTAV for PS3 was my last game back in 2013. I had a massive arrears, but I decided to start with platinums in all games of my favorite Metal Gear Solid series. Besides PlayStation 4 Pro I bought PS3 and PSVita (to play at work). I managed to do it, even though I had never had a Platinum award before. Now I think this is the only way for me to finish the game. 100% or not at all.

Nowadays, I play with great pleasure as if I had consoles for the first time in my life. I don't know where this enthusiasm and euphoria come from. I am 40 years old and I have played a lot in my life ... This (forced by life) break did not change anything. It is impossible to kill the immortal soul of the player.

Congratulations once again and best regards.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Even though this is from awhile ago, I wanted to join in & say congrats on finishing it. Nice going on that first Vettel too. I did one of the GT5 Vettel challenges so far on a different account. I will hopefully get around to GT5 eventually & just go for whatever trophies I can. Congrats again!

Update: Done another after a few weeks on & off.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I think it was 7-8 years for me. My own story began at the very beginning by pre-ordering the game. Had I know what a torturous task getting the platinum would be, I might not have. Back then I wasn't really a trophy hunter. I played the game as I have every one before, just for fun. Gran Turismo 4 was the first in the series I bought myself, and the first I took to 100% completion, but I recall being able to stick all the endurance races on B-Spec, fast forward x3 and get each one done in a day. 

Gran Turismo 5 is a different beast. 

Words cannot express the difficulty of those Vettel Challenges. It becomes more ridiculous the more you think about what's actually happening. They take the world's best driver at the time, stick him in a virtual car designed by the world's best engineers, achieving a performance that's unprecedented, for which there is no real way to prepare - and ask you, the player, to match his pace, with nothing but a controller in your hand. I heard it said many times that a wheel made the task easier. I didn't drive at the time, and had no budget for a wheel. All i had was a worn, shabby looking DS3 and lots, and lots of time.

I recall trying Monza before the patches that dialed back the times required for Bronze. I think I got Bronze there, but failed to get anywhere close on the other circuits. When I returned to the game for another pass on tougher special events: Eiger etc - I managed to get through them all until Vettel Challenges were all that remained. The Gold in Monza came pretty quickly, as soon as you figure out the chicane trick it becomes much easier. But it took literally 3 weeks, maybe 7-8 hours a day to get Silver at Nurburgring. The best tip I learned was to actually deactivate the timer, because the moment you cross the line after Lap one and see yourself around 1.04 - you panic, and mess up the last lap. When I finally got the gold, it was arguably my greatest gaming achievement. Strangely I thought Suzuka would be easier, but I spent even longer trying that one. 

I'll conclude by saying I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone who does this legit with a wheel, but especially a controller. It actually began to effect me mentally because I was pouring so much time and effort into this seemingly impossible challenge.  Hearing others overcome and triumph is always great. 

Edited by screenwriter91
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, screenwriter91 said:

I'll conclude by saying I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone who does this legit with a wheel, but especially a controller. It actually began to effect me mentally because I was pouring so much time and effort into this seemingly impossible challenge.  Hearing others overcome and triumph is always great. 

A huge Congrats on doing it as I know what it's like getting those times & how far this game can push you in comparison to other games. These are definitely some of the hardest things out there in racing games.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NetoStyle said:

Huge admiration for all of those who have any GRAN TURISMO platinum!

the last GT that I played was the 1st one on the PS1. Now I can't wait for GT7 to come out and I'll be definitely going for the platinum even though the plats of GT are insane!

I don't recall GT6 being too bad, but maybe that was because I was comparing it to GT5. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the trophy lists for GT7 before any purchase, I don't think I have it in me to do something like the Vettel Challenges again. 

1 hour ago, Destructor-8 said:

A huge Congrats on doing it as I know what it's like getting those times & how far this game can push you in comparison to other games. These are definitely some of the hardest things out there in racing games.

Many thanks. I've tackled some tough plats before, Wipeout HD among them - but nothing comes close to GT5.

Edited by screenwriter91

• 2 months later...

And now ? On the road to 100% on all of them ? :o 

I saw you need just one more trophy for GT6 (maybe you wait 3 more years for this last trophy to also get a 10 years old 100% ? ;) ), and again a long grind for GT Sports ^^' (this one will be hard to be a 10 year platinum, full online, dont know if servers will survive until then ><)

Go go go ! GT 7 is coming :P 

• 4 weeks later...

Now that Gt7 is right around the corner i'm also coming back to the previous GT games.

had a look at GT Sport the other day and decided it's not worth the grind. getting the final Sport mode Poles and Wins, is a matter of time, but reaching level 50 is an insane grind I don't feel like doing atm.

Yesterday I pulled out my PS3, and it had GT6 installed, so I checked on what's missing there and it were only a couple of S-License tests. Super easy with a wheel compared to how much i struggled back in the day with the PS3 controller. only like 6k miles of driving missing, which can be done with a little trickery xD

I have no idea how much is missing in GT5. it's the gold tests, but what exactly? i'll see. obvioulsy the vettel challenge. and i have exactly one and a half weeks to make it a 10 year journey. although I probably never touched it for 8 of these years. hope it's not too bad on a wheel now (and with a ton of practice in sim racing).

Edited by Skargarim

I've managed to 100% GT's 1-5 (yes, I am that old! ?)

I have the plat on GT6 also but still need to do the DLC on that one.

GT Sport - I'm miles away, I only started the game about a year ago, the first time I didn't pick the game up on launch day. Still only lvl 33 - and I'm hoping GT7 makes the lobbies a little easier!

GT7 - got  my pre-order in, and I'm looking forward to the grind. I keep reading that it's very similar to GT4 in scope - and I really hope thats true as GT4 is still what I consider the best single player racing game ever made...

Edited by p9ul
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Dear FinalFrank15

Nice story. I enjoyed when I read it.

I had same story with GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption 1 (I got platinum of GTA IV after 13 years and 8 months and platinum of RDR 1 after 12 years and 3 months)

The servers for both are working well.

And you are true, when after some years we come back to old games, they are not as hard as before, specially when the gamer change from normal gamer to trophy hunter.

Also nice profile you have (92.9% completion , 381 platinum , 18531 trophies , complete hard & beautiful games like Nioh 2 - Elden Ring - Sekiro - Nier Automata - SpiderMan - Gran Turismo 5 - Dark Souls II & III - Metal Gear Solid 3 & V - Bioshock 1 & 2 & Infinite - Days Gone - Uncharted 4 - Nioh - Horizon Zero Dawn - BloodBorne - Little Big Planet 1 & 3 - Gran Turismo 6 - Demon`s Souls -  - Resident Evil - InFamous - God of War - ...COMPLETION

• Like 1