Alan Wake 2

Abby_TheLastofUs

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Matthew Porretta (voice actor of Alan Wake) hinting October as a release window

He said during the Monster Madness and Magic podcast that the sequel will be released in October.

https://www.monstersmadnessandmagic.com/portalofthepodcast/ep192-bright-falls-and-night-springs-an-interview-with-matthew-porretta

• Like 1

pvOv2Xh.jpg

Why is Alan Wake 2 a digital-only release?

There are many reasons for this. For one, a large number of have shifted to digital only. You can buy a Sony PlayStation 5 without a disc drive and Microsoft’s Xbox Series S is a digital only console. It is not uncommon to release modern games as digital-only.

Secondly, not releasing a disc helps keep the price of the game at $59.99 / €59.99 and the PC version at $49.99 / €49.99.

Finally, we did not want to ship a disc product and have it require a download for the game — we do not think this would make for a great experience either.

Is there a disc-based version of Alan Wake 2 in the works?

There are currently no plans to release Alan Wake 2 on disc.

What different versions of Alan Wake 2 will be available?

Standard Edition: Includes the Alan Wake 2 digital base game.

Price: $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 on PC and $59.99 / €59.99 / £49.99 on Consoles

Deluxe Edition: Includes the Alan Wake 2 digital base game and the following exclusive content:

Expansion Pass (Night Springs Expansion and Lake House Expansion)

Nordic Shotgun Skin for Saga (Part of the Expansion Pass)

Parliament Shotgun Skin for Alan

Crimson Windbreaker for Saga

Celebrity Suit for Alan

Lantern Charm for Saga

Price: $69.99 / €69.99 / £54.99 on PC and $79.99 / €79.99 / £64.99 on Consoles

https://www.alanwake.com/story/alan-wake-2-faq/

Edited by ziggypossum
FIXED
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ziggypossum said:

There are many reasons for this. For one, a large number of have shifted to digital only. You can buy a Sony PlayStation 5 without a disc drive and Microsoft’s Xbox Series S is a digital only console. It is not uncommon to release modern games as digital-only.

Secondly, not releasing a disc helps keep the price of the game at $59.99 / €59.99 and the PC version at $49.99 / €49.99.

Finally, we did not want to ship a disc product and have it require a download for the game — we do not think this would make for a great experience either.

This feels like a slap on the wrist for collectors like myself and others. There are still people that buy physical discs in 2023. Sure, digital is the future but I like having my games physical. Just a poor excuse from Epic/Remedy. Hopefully one day they’ll release a physical disc (like Sonic Origins recently) or partner up with Limited run games.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ziggypossum said:

What different versions of Alan Wake 2 will be available?

Standard Edition: Includes the Alan Wake 2 digital base game.

Price: $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 on PC and $59.99 / €59.99 / £49.99 on Consoles

Deluxe Edition: Includes the Alan Wake 2 digital base game and the following exclusive content:

Expansion Pass (Night Springs Expansion and Lake House Expansion)

Nordic Shotgun Skin for Saga (Part of the Expansion Pass)

Parliament Shotgun Skin for Alan

Crimson Windbreaker for Saga

Celebrity Suit for Alan

Lantern Charm for Saga

Price: $69.99 / €69.99 / £54.99 on PC and $79.99 / €79.99 / £64.99 on Consoles

https://www.alanwake.com/story/alan-wake-2-faq/

What a joke. Any game above the price of €40 should have a physical release. Bunch of cheapskates.

• Like 1

Honestly I think this is just a case of Remedy trying to cut costs where they can. Their games over the last decade have not been smashing successes, and they flat out admitted the Alan Wake remaster in particular flopped, which might not bode well for the sequel (though I think it's a bit more complicated than that.) CrossfireX especially was giving me major "dev for hire we need to pay the bills energy." They did make money on Control but only because the low budget and the fact they made as many deals as they could for the game: last minute EGS exclusivity, came to PS Now a few months after launch, came to Game Pass later the same year, has been given away for free on EGS and it was a monthly PS+ game. Games that sell well don't usually take that many deals (or to look at it another way the game did not chart in the top 20 of NPD the month it came out or the following month.)

That said I honestly think this will just backfire for them. The amount of money they're gonna save by not printing discs is probably gonna be lost by the people who aren't even gonna bother with the game now. Being totally honest I don't see much reason to buy this when it is likely going to be on some sub service within the first year of release. And I say that as someone who really likes Remedy, I've played every game they've made except Death Rally.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

This is mindblowing seeing AAA game skipping physical release. Really don't like the direction where things are going.

• Like 2

I love physical so I won't be buying this at launch. However, oh my GOD the atmosphere in this game is off the charts. I love survival horror and this has gone full survival horror where the first game was just on the boundary of being a survival horror. I am excited to see more gameplay. 

Edited by FreshFromThaDeli

12 hours ago, ziggypossum said:

I'm digital only, and have been for a long time now... 

....but, that said, I'm really not sure I see the logic in this.

For sure, if Physical and Digital had to be at price parity, then its a no-brainer - digital is the future, and it would certainly be unacceptable to try and justify a higher price for digital consumers, purely to subsidise those who are still clinging to physical...

...but does there need to be price parity?

Physical games are not the norm anymore - they are a more niche thing - like vinyl or Blue Ray Movies, coveted by collectors. 

Therefore, (as Limited run games has proven over and over again,) those collectors will happily pay a premium for a physical copy. 

I really don't see why they couldn't release a disc version at $10 more to cover the costs of the physical run.

In fact, they could even go further, and charge, say, $20-$30 dollars more than the digital version, - and potentially use that offset to subsidise lowering the cost of the digital RRP further, hence increasing sales overall?

The collectors would be happy, as they would get their physical copies, the digital customers would be getting a better deal subsidised by the marked-up cost of the physical collectors, and Remedy would get money from all sides.

Everybody wins? :dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HusKy said:

This is mindblowing seeing AAA game skipping physical release. Really don't like the direction where things are going.

I've not purchased a disc version of a game since alien isolation on PS4 came out. Digital all the way for me. It's so much better.