What's your favorite "turret section"?

Doomed_Gary

"Turret Section" may be a little of a misnomer, but I was looking for something snappy for the title of this thread. I've been thinking about changes of pace sections in games.  You know, when suddenly you get handed all new controls, mechanics, perspectives, ect.  This usually comes in the form of the dreaded turret section, vehicle and/or rail shooter level, mandatory minigame, and other assorted flavors.

So, what "change of pace" section is your favorite if you even have one? Are there any that you enjoy more then the core gameplay? 

I think if I had to pick one mine would be the prologue to Nier: Automata. I know it's sort of cheating because there's nothing really to change up from yet, but goddamn does that bit suck you in. The production value is just off the charts.

All of the ones I remember fall under the "I don't hate them" category. Can't say any of them stood out to me.

In terms of literal "turret" missions I can name some in Ratchet & Clank 3 and Jak 2 and 3. In R&C they were fine, but Jak games definitely included some annoying instances with turrets where you die really fast.

But a lot of games have "change of pace" sections where you're presented with different camera angles and/or controls. I liked the mini-games in Spyro 2 and 3. Other than the flying challenges, the first that comes to mind is the mini-game in Spyro 2 where you have to collect more "chrystal popcorn" than Hunter in some cave. I had to retry it many times when I played it as a kid, but I enjoyed it.

I liked the on-rails missions in GTA games where your NPC friend is driving and you just need to shoot. These chase scenes with scripted enemy cars and explosions were fun from time to time.

7 hours ago, nyarLOLhotep said:

You know, when suddenly you get handed all new controls, mechanics, perspectives, ect.  This usually comes in the form of the dreaded turret section, vehicle and/or rail shooter level

This is actually a perfect description for the end chase scene in MGS1 ? It's so weird that someone would put a new mechanic in the very end, but Kojima did it to give the game an "action movie climax scene" feel. And I can't blame him, because it did the job. He put a similar sequence in MGS3, not in the end this time. While it controls a little better, I still like it less, because it's too long.

2 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

The mini games in the Kingdom Hearts games were annoying for me, especially the ones in BBS. The mandatory disney town world was annoying as I hate these kinds of mini games

I just remembered the gummi ship missions. I've only played KH1, and I didn't mind them there. I've seen the KH2 ones too, and they looked more fun there. Or at least more cinematic. 

I can't remember much else in terms of mini-games in the first one. Maybe the first game didn't have a lot of them compared to sequels.