It's hard to be a PlayStation fan sometimes...

Not too bummed about the stores closing, and you can’t blame Sony for your buying a discontinued product secondhand which they do not make any more, but I completely agree about the way they have treated Japanese devs and games. Censoring and banning games until forcing devs into self censorship if they want to remain profitable...just not on and the reason so much of my love for PlayStation has been destroyed.

The only thing I can give them credit got is investing in VR, which is just miraculous to play.

• Like 2

I sort of agree with some of the points. There definitely should have been more of a warning for the store shutdowns, maybe like a year. Honestly, I don't know if it's just me but I think people are overreacting about the shutdown and wanting to keep it alive. I mean it's been like 15 years and the console is like 2-3 generations old, it would have had to go eventually... As for NBA, the entire franchise in general is just an absolute nightmare for trophy hunters and I commend the fact that you platinumed 2K20 ?. Sports games in general I feel like are heavy on microtransactions, but I mean they don't even need to add them because all the companies are already filthy rich because every single person buys the new NBA or Madden or NHL every year if they're a fan of the franchise, regardless of if the game is better or worse than the last one.

13 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

You're entitled to your own opinions but it feels like you're overreacting a bit and maybe it's less an issue with Sony and more that you need to branch out a bit game-wise.  There are plenty of fine, non-predatory games out there, on Playstation and in general.

I agree with these points fully aswell.

Last thing I want to add is on the front of Japanese vita games, you will still be able to play and download physical games onto your Vita/PS3 after the shutdown. I guess I understand that you won't be able to buy more digital games, but I'm sure you can import most. The cost can be quite high on some games, though.

• Like 1

I can see where you’re coming from on some of your points and generally understand how you feel. I have noticed that Sony does like to make it difficult to be a PlayStation fan sometimes, and often they do things that just leave me feeling kind of baffled.

The latest thing for me that came out of left field was the abrupt announcement of the removal of PS4 communities in the upcoming system update. They are just taking them away for seemingly no reason, which I could live with on its own, but it’s just one more thing in a bizarre campaign they appear to be waging against the whole social aspect of the PlayStation experience.

Just a generation ago Sony seemed to be going all in on turning the PlayStation into a “social hub”, but from what I’ve seen and read about the PS5 it seems they’ve gone backwards in a lot of ways and actually made it more difficult to stay up to date with your friends, share media, and form groups and communities. I’m not sure what their game plan is long term, but lately it feels to me like they’re swimming against the current of social media and technology trends that have become standard on most other platforms.

I’m just nitpicking one small issue here, but you get the point. Sony does weird shit.

• Like 2

Yeah, Sony has been disappointing a lot lately. I agree with a ton of the replies in this thread. Makes me sad, because I just got a ps3 a couple of weeks ago so that I could experience some of the games that I missed out on for that gen. Really wish they would give the ps5 backwards compatibility with ps3. But I know it won't happen, it seems like with gaming companies the only news we ever get is bad news. 

• Like 1

1 - The PS3 / Vita thing really is a bummer. I wonder if it would be so hard / expensive for them to at least keep the games on a legacy area in the web store. But most people just buy the newest console, play the latest AAA game and the anual game (like FIFA), and move on when the next console is released. We are in the minority here. So shutting down the PS3 and Vita stores does not hurt them too much I guess. 

2 - Are Japanese developers really leaving Playstation? I dont follow gaming news so I might be out of the loop, but I have yet to found a japanese game that I want to play that came to the West but not for Playstation, and I mainly play those. 

3 - End of the day Sony is just a company, and companies only care about profit. As a customer you should do the same: if you think your money is not well spent on Sony, move on. There are other options. If I had to say maybe I am loyal to Playstation, since the only non-Playstation console I ever had was the Mega Drive / Sega Genesis a lifetime ago. Most japanese games that I like to play are on Playstation, and the exclusives are to my liking, so I stay. If someday I start to feel unhappy and unfulfilled with a Playstation, I will just move on. Loyalty is a good thing, but not when it comes to brands. 

• Like 1

I kind of agree with all of these points. I get your sick of the micro transaction, but that is not a PlayStation issue that’s a developer issue in general. It doesn’t apply to all games and all developers, but I would say most game companies have taken this approach to earn extra income for their games. The way I use micro transactions is I will buy something to support the games I really like, but the ones that didn’t fully get me I just ignore them. It’s nowhere as obnoxious as the phone games where the minute you log on you have an ad that covers 75% of the screen to buy a package for a set price IMO. 

The thing I like most about video games is I can find something to cater to my current mood. I can play a sports game one minute, then get a couple of assassin contracts on hitman, and play with my friends on COD after that. My suggestion is to be more flexible and play what you want to play. Trophies will come no matter what game your playing. This is truly a beautiful to,e to be a gamer.

Personally I am in a wait and see with Sony’s move to California. I do feel like Japanese uniqueness that originally got me into Sony has taken a step back, but I wonder if this is just a downtime. I am hesitant to make a quick judgement when it takes so long to develop the games we love especially considering the pandemic we have all been dealing with the past year. 

In terms of the stores closing I see why your not happy with it (I’m not either) but you had to know it was coming. The bigger tragedy is how Sony abandoned the Vita long ago, which has been vented and talked about in many discussions previously. I love my Vita and wish they had just kept up with it, but after abandoning the console multiple years ago the store was going to close for purchases. My hope with the PS3 store is they get more of the games on PS Now. It makes sense they would close that store to help/force people to consider the newer generation consoles. 

I apologize for the lengthy post, apparently I had some thoughts on the topic lol. Thank you for your opinion.

FYI-NBA2k21 doesn’t have that collector trophy. Not trying to push you to play it, but just letting you know 

44 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

There's nothing really I can say because what you said is kind of how I've been feeling lately too. I'll always love PlayStation but the things Sony have being doing lately, I don't know... I'll be getting an Xbox Series X I think in the future, Microsoft stance on backwards compatibility is fantastic. 

Just my opinion, but I think the PS3 is a special case due to it's crazy architecture.  The PS4 and PS5 are likely safer than it for long term support.  I don't think Sony will/wants to reach the level of uniformity and support Microsoft has across the various Xbox's... but Sony's approach has it's advantages too, mostly in that I fully expect the Xbox One and Series S to hold the X back when it comes to Xbox exclusive games, and the difference between those and PS5 exclusives in the future will be noticeable.

Also... I find it a little odd the people who care about being able to play their old games, yet apparently went digital all the way back in the PS3 days.  Reap what you sow, the most reliable form of backwards compatibility will always be the actual console and disc. ;)  

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Also... I find it a little odd the people who care about being able to play their old games, yet apparently went digital all the way back in the PS3 days.  Reap what you sow, the most reliable form of backwards compatibility will always be the actual console and disc. ;)  

Don't be so cocky. There's digital only games for starters.

Also, you're wrong.

Edited by Stevieboy
unnecessary comments

9 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Just my opinion, but I think the PS3 is a special case due to it's crazy architecture.  The PS4 and PS5 are likely safer than it for long term support.  I don't think Sony will/wants to reach the level of uniformity and support Microsoft has across the various Xbox's... but Sony's approach has it's advantages too, mostly in that I fully expect the Xbox One and Series S to hold the X back when it comes to Xbox exclusive games, and the difference between those and PS5 exclusives in the future will be noticeable.

Don't forget though that that of PlayStation exclusives that were meant to be PS5 only are now going to be on PS4. Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok (it seems likely) and even Miles Morales did too. 

2 minutes ago, mako-heart said:

Don't be so cocky. There's digital only games for starters.

Also, you're wrong.

Funny, my PS3 is working fine.  How's that digital PS3 backwards compatibility working for you?

2 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Don't forget though that that of PlayStation exclusives that were meant to be PS5 only are now going to be on PS4. Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok (it seems likely) and even Miles Morales did too. 

Most consoles have a transition period, the PS4's will likely last longer due to the lacking availability of PS5's... but generally speaking, there's nothing really holding the PS5 back past that.

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up for edited post

Trophies are the only reason i stick around and if nintendo ever made an achievement system equal to sonys i will literally jump ship asap and hunt on switch(or hell even if they just put competent online features) because sony is basically turning back into 2006 sony on steroids and we dont even get any 599 us dollar crab battle e3 showcase to meme on. Honestly i hope microsoft dominates them this gen because sonys decisions this gen are just baffling.

• Like 4

Stop focusing on trophies and actually enjoy games.  That seems to be your problem.  NBA 2K20 isn't even hard.  Other than a little grind in MyTeam, the game is very easy.  Be thankful you didn't play older 2K games. Expand playing other kind of games.  Very few people are about the 2k life lol

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ElevExplorer64 said:

I still wouldn't mind getting a PS5, but that could very well be my last Sony console (if I can even find one, that is). I'm just going to only play games that respect me as a player from now on. No more microtransaction-heavy, streamer-focused games for me.

If you think microtransaction-heavy, streamer-focused games are a Sony problem, and that you'll have a different experience on Switch/Xbox/PC, I have really bad news for you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElevExplorer64 said:

This post is not an April Fool's joke.

I like collecting trophies on PSN. I really do. Trophy hunting has given me something to do during the pandemic, and I don't exactly plan on stopping anytime soon. That said, recently I've found that some days, it's very difficult to be a PlayStation fan.

First and foremost, I need to give my thoughts on the PS3 and Vita store shutdown. I'm not 100% outraged because we can still download previously bought games and sync trophies, but I'm still bummed out. I bought a used Vita about 18 months ago, and I've been playing on it almost every day since then. I also picked up a used PS3, but I've had a harder time getting into it (although the games are decent). I understand why Sony is shutting down the store, but they should've given more of a warning. We should have been told about this last year. I'm honestly just tied of being reminded of this constantly. I definitely think that once I'm done with my Vita backlog (which I'm trying to add games to before it's too late), my trophy hunting will slow down significantly.

Another thing that gets me is how Sony treats Japanese games. I'm not one of those "SJWs ruin everything" people, but I do think Sony moving to California was a very bad move. Personally, I could live without fanservice in games, but it seems like a lot of Japanese devs are shunning the PS4 and PS5 because of how Sony has treated them. I was hoping to get into more Japanese games, but it looks like the PS5 won't do much good in that regard. At least there's still plenty on PS4 and Vita... oh wait, the Vita store's going down! Thanks a lot. Worst case scenario, I have a Switch and I can just play Japanese games on that instead, but like I said, I like earning PSN trophies. It seems like there's still some Japanese games coming out, but not as many as there used to be.

I'd be willing to look past that, except it seems that most Western AAA devs have little to no respect for their customers. I actually got the platinum in NBA 2K20, and the grind was so bad it nearly made me resent my PS4. I'm still looking at that game because I'm helping someone else get the Ultimate Collector trophy, and both of us cannot stand this game anymore. I would rather jump off a tall building without a parachute than play NBA 2K21. I also platinumed Fall Guys, which isn't anywhere near as bad as NBA 2K (except for the Infallible trophy), but it still gives off the vibe that it was made for those obnoxious streamers that make videos of them screaming for 15 minutes. Call of Duty doesn't interest me in the slightest (except maybe MW Remastered and MW2, those games look decent), and if someone asked me to play Fortnite, I would immediately unfriend them. I'm sick to death of microtransactions. Period.

I still wouldn't mind getting a PS5, but that could very well be my last Sony console (if I can even find one, that is). I'm just going to only play games that respect me as a player from now on. No more microtransaction-heavy, streamer-focused games for me.

Sony has never really been super consumer friendly overall but it seems like you're focusing too much on trophies and you maybe need to play a lot of the amazing games that have been released. When I saw the shutdown news, I didn't care one bit because I haven't played a ps3 since 2013 sometime but it doesn't surprise me. Almost no one is realistically still using the PS3 to play games on the regular. It's a super small group. The Vita was also viewed as a failure in the portable console market. 3DS and Switch rule that area.

Sony realistically won't cater to the few people that are playing those systems under the possibility of them buying new licenses off the store especially when this shutdown doesn't prohibit any of the licenses already purchased. I also hope you're a big NBA fan because if you platinumed 2k20 just for trophy completion then there lies the root of your negative experiences on games u play.

Don't stress too much and maybe try a different approach towards gaming/consumerism. :)

• Like 2