It's hard to be a PlayStation fan sometimes...

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I wouldn't necessarily lump all Western AAA devs into NBA 2K and Fall Guys (which isn't a AAA game lol).  You're entitled to your own opinions but it feels like you're overreacting a bit and maybe it's less an issue with Sony and more that you need to branch out a bit game-wise.  There are plenty of fine, non-predatory games out there, on Playstation and in general.

EDIT: Maybe focusing less on trophies would help too, since the grind and store closures seem to be tied into that and your frustration.

I feel like people who are focused more on getting Platinum trophies than enjoying the games are more outraged over this. Am I sad? Of course, but knowing that I was part of that history as a teenager really makes it more of a grand ole finale at best. It's just Playstation phasing out the old like they did with PS1 & PS2 but since the vita and PS3 was the age of the digital storefront it's different. I can't imagine the time and upkeep of keeping the store open for many more years into PS6. It's like growing up. 

• Like 3

What's the point of this? If trophy hunting is that much of a pain, don't do it. And the only time to complain about 'censorship' is when games get taken off shelves. Not seeing tiddy isn't the end of the world but it could be the start of something. So keep an eye on it. 

• Like 1

I could not give two shits about PS5, Sony closing the PS Vita and PS3 store is Bollocks I am a hardcore PS Vita fan and any of you ♥s that say Vita is shit go do one. 

I will continue to trophy hunt on Vita for as long as I can. I've already bought into the Xbox eco system for next gen I bought a brand new Samsung Ion laptop for work ( I am a graphic designer) and I will be signing up to Xbox Game Pass it's so easy to access Xbox content for Xbox Series X on my laptop! For £7.99 per month! 

So yeah FUCK PS5, FUCK SONY! PS Vita / PS4 was the best gen! PS3 was also brilliant! But I don't want anything to do with PS5 and Jim Ryan's bullshit. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mohemn_Ammar said:

"I'm just going to play games to respect me as a player" and then goes to play POWGI and Ratalaika games

Seriously tho, even though Sony has been assholes lately I'd say what's more hindering your enjoyment is the games you're actually playing

By looking at your trophy list most of them are cheap/easy platinums and hardly a worthy game tbh so it's on you, you need to branch out and play different games or should i say ACTUAL games more

I'd recommend a few like Hollow Knight, Doom Eternal, Celeste, DMC5, Bloodborne and others

I consider these some of the best games of last gen

Literally facts my dude! I mean I see no worthy games he plays (I'll give him credit for the Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper games) but not any Playstation Exclusive games (dude hasn't touched UC4!) or triple A games. I feel like he's more butthurt because he wont get his platinum trophies in the future. Just another dude taking out his first world problems to this website. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zircon_Lotus said:

2 - Are Japanese developers really leaving Playstation? I dont follow gaming news so I might be out of the loop, but I have yet to found a japanese game that I want to play that came to the West but not for Playstation, and I mainly play those. 

Yes there are big time. Most dev aim for 1 console that will sell the game the best.

Now technically. Then make other ver off that. Sony is the most sold console rigth now. 

But Japanese dev are making it for Nintendo instead. Cuz Sony keep messing with them.

Everything a Japanese company does has to be submitted. Spoken in English and done on the American schedule. And ex censorship for no reason. Exp is Omega life. A fan serviceish Dungeon Crawl that was on the ps3. But now a few year later. Trys to put it on ps4. Had to remove all fan service and a chunk of the plotline and remake a ton of models for characters. Nintendo let it on there platform its in original form. 

So why would a Japanese make a game that will be a pain to develop. May randomly give new rules for. And the community that like Japanese games wants then uncensored.so ex censorship will bring bad PR and mostly likey lower sales? I get why they turning on them. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Solercide said:

I could not give two shits about PS5, Sony closing the PS Vita and PS3 store is Bollocks I am a hardcore PS Vita fan and any of you 2665.pngs that say Vita is shit go do one. 

I will continue to trophy hunt on Vita for as long as I can. I've already bought into the Xbox eco system for next gen I bought a brand new Samsung Ion laptop for work ( I am a graphic designer) and I will be signing up to Xbox Game Pass it's so easy to access Xbox content for Xbox Series X on my laptop! For £7.99 per month! 

So yeah FUCK PS5, FUCK SONY! PS Vita / PS4 was the best gen! PS3 was also brilliant! But I don't want anything to do with PS5 and Jim Ryan's bullshit. 

Goodluck with that when your favorite game series gets a new sequel and it's only for PS5 ?

• Like 1

I mostly agree as well.

The store closures were very poorly handled, far too short of a notice (especially given current world events), and how they worded things after the webstore redesign, it didn't seem like they were planning to shut down the PS3 and Vita stores too soon. Not to mention they screwed over devs still developing games for Vita. I've already bought everything I want on Vita/PSP and PS3 a long time ago, so it doesn't really directly affect me either, but it's still shitty. Not to mention with how many things they've been springing on us lately, I do fear just how long it will be till all online functionality ceases on PS3 and Vita. It's not like I've been neglecting my backlogs for those systems, but I have been going through them at a steady pace, and now I almost feel kinda rushed.

What's been happening to Japan Studio genuinely saddens me, though PlayStation is still getting plenty of Japanese games, it has definitely been starting to dwindle. Not to mention in the West, we're getting some Japanese games on Switch/PC/Xbox only when PlayStation is still getting these games in Japan (e.g. Disgaea 6). I couldn't care less about just pure fanservice games like Gal Gun so games like that not coming to PS4/PS5 doesn't bother me, obviously must suck for people that are into them though and now have less options of what platforms they can buy those games on. I wouldn't put too much stock in trophies, I know they can be addictive, but if there's games you're interested in on other platforms, and you're shunning them mostly just because they don't have trophies, then you're potentially missing out on what could be your next favourite game. I spent years mostly just focusing on PlayStation games, because of trophies, and I honestly regret not getting around to some Nintendo and other games sooner. Just play what you want to play, don't let trophies control what you choose to spend your time with, games are meant to be for entertainment.

The part about Western games I'm gonna have to disagree with. I've come across absolutely ridiculous trophies/achievements in both Western and Japanese games, trophies like "accumulate 50 hours playtime" in Yomawari (a Japanese game), a game that's otherwise only 10-15 hours long, even for 100% completion. And if anything, those "have X amount of playtime" seems to be a thing I encounter more in Japanese games, Western games are just more likely to give you the "do this stupid meaningless task X times because reasons", at least in my experience. I've had far more JRPGs disrespect my time than just about anything else as well, especially older titles.

Microtransactions exist in Japanese games as well. I've never understood why so many people lose their shit when something like Middle Earth Shadow of War includes microtransactions, but no one bats an eyelid at all the microtransactions in Tales Of games. Yeah, microtransactions suck, but at least for most games, they really can just be ignored. It's usually the multiplayer games where they're more "pay to win", but even that's less of a thing nowadays.

I haven't been a huge fan of many triple A Western OR Japanese games in recent years to be honest. Too many cinematics and not enough gameplay for my liking a lot of the time, and the story often isn't interesting enough to warrant all the cutscenes (which Japanese games are often notorious for, but I tend to enjoy the story in games like MGS despite their 2 hour long cutscenes). Or they'll just throw an open world at you like every other game has done since Skyrim and it just gets boring. But then, I enjoy JRPGs even though those tend to just be the same mechanics and tropes over and over, so I can't blame people for liking those types of games. These kinds of games keeping getting made because they people like them, so they make money, and the cycle continues. I just hate how so many developers try to emulate whatever has been a big hit in recent years, even sacrificing what made a series what it originally was in the process (e.g. Jak and Daxter originally being a collectathon, then being turned into a GTA clone to cash in on its success).

This shit has been going on for a very long time, it really isn't new to the current generation. I think my main disappointment with games nowadays is a lot of them lacking originality, and often feeling like they're just trying to appeal to whatever the zeitgeist is at the time. I loved the PS4 God of War, and do like the new direction the series is going, but at the same time, I hate how much of what made the original games what they are is no longer there. Sometimes that's for the best, a series can stagnant if it's just the same thing over and over, and I do appreciate developers being experimental now and again, but sometimes it feels like a series' original "charm" is lost in the process, sometimes resulting in it no longer even really feeling like it's part of the same franchise. Sometimes I think it's better to just kill off a series at its peak, then start anew with a fresh IP that may have a similar feel to its predecessor, but is otherwise a completely different series. But I digress, waffling on too much about my own personal take here.

There's plenty of good Western games out there, and honestly, the triple A and super popular stuff is really overblown. It's what many, many people are into and so it gets shoved in your face a lot with advertisements and what not, but there's plenty of double A and indie games that focus more on just being fun, enjoyable games than being cash grabs or the next battle royale or whatever it is that's currently popular with multiplayer games.

• Like 2

A few takeaways I got from reading the replies:

1. I need to try some better games. I absolutely agree here, and I think I'm going to mainly stick to games that interest me from here on out.

2. Yes, I'm kind of butthurt about how Sony treats their legacy platforms, but I understand that I was late to the party, so it's kind of my fault.

3. The whole censorship thing doesn't necessarily upset me, it's just kind of strange how the devs can get away with more stuff on the Switch than they can on PS4 these days. I am glad that Japanese games do continue to release on PS4 and PS5, though. Again, fan service isn't everything.

4. Yes, there's a lot of crap on my profile. There was a time when I was obsessed with easy platinums. Now, I have basically stopped playing Rata games, and the only reason I still play POWGI games is because they're already in my backlog and I'm trying to get rid of them. Aside from the occasional cheap and easy platinum, I've moved on from these types of "games". I do have several platinums I am legitimately proud of.

5. I'm only going to go for the platinum if I think it is doable from now on, or I really like the game.

• Like 2

This is a nice thread for debate, but I believe no one in their right mind would say it is difficult to be a sony fan. They're making almost all the right calls, had a legendary PS4 generation, and show no signs of slowing down. Every company makes mistakes and some things can be better but it is a great time to be a PlayStation fan.

9 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

This is a nice thread for debate, but I believe no one in their right mind would say it is difficult to be a sony fan. They're making almost all the right calls, had a legendary PS4 generation, and show no signs of slowing down. Every company makes mistakes and some things can be better but it is a great time to be a PlayStation fan.

I agree, maybe this is an unpopular opinion but the only really "bad" decision they've made is to close PS3 and Vita stores in the middle of a pandemic when I assume more people are playing and buying games there than usual, and that there should have been a much larger time frame within announcing it and closing the stores. I don't feel like I'm moving away from the brand at all, and I plan to stick with it for a while unless they do something REALLY stupid. I agree with others about Jim Ryan being a less than stellar head for the company, but I don't exactly get why they're so so so upset about it... And lastly on the topic of people being pissed about the censorship, does it really matter that much that you don't get huge bouncy anime tits? There are other places for that..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shxrpay said:

I agree, maybe this is an unpopular opinion but the only really "bad" decision they've made is to close PS3 and Vita stores in the middle of a pandemic when I assume more people are playing and buying games there than usual, and that there should have been a much larger time frame within announcing it and closing the stores. I don't feel like I'm moving away from the brand at all, and I plan to stick with it for a while unless they do something REALLY stupid. I agree with others about Jim Ryan being a less than stellar head for the company, but I don't exactly get why they're so so so upset about it... And lastly on the topic of people being pissed about the censorship, does it really matter that much that you don't get huge bouncy anime tits? There are other places for that..

I don't have a say in the whole big tits censhorship since I'm gay since it doesn't bother me at all but I don't go around complaining that the male character in a game should have a big dick. Like I'm here for the story and the gameplay I can easily go to other websites for all that ?

• Like 1

I can honestly feel the same way, i dont worry about ps3 & vita shutting down & all, but there's been alot of 'bad' going on with Sony lately

Just to put it in perspective: ask me 2 years ago to buy an xbox & u'd get a big NO & a slap in your face just because playstation was undoubtedly my way to go

Ask me now & i'd really start thinking of shifting my next console to be an xbox

Ofcourse, i wont be buying a next gen console anytime soon, only time will tell what i eventually will get & when the time is right i'll hopefully have more insight on what would be better for me to play, but changing my opinion from '100% sure of the PS5' to 'hmm, lets see', i'd say that's a pretty big step in the wrong direction for Sony

• Like 1

the ps3 was my first console and will be my favorite forever because of that good games in that decate, so the shutdown of the store makes me very nervous to loos all the other online functions on that great system:( Also i am having problems since months with that error code ce-34878-0. Did try 4 different solutions on YT  and from the official playstation support but it didnt help and that just a scandal...  So i will move deffinitely to xbox series x also with the ultimate game pass in future.

Hopefully we can enjoy some years still on the ps3 servers!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ElevExplorer64 said:

A few takeaways I got from reading the replies:

1. I need to try some better games. I absolutely agree here, and I think I'm going to mainly stick to games that interest me from here on out.

2. Yes, I'm kind of butthurt about how Sony treats their legacy platforms, but I understand that I was late to the party, so it's kind of my fault.

3. The whole censorship thing doesn't necessarily upset me, it's just kind of strange how the devs can get away with more stuff on the Switch than they can on PS4 these days. I am glad that Japanese games do continue to release on PS4 and PS5, though. Again, fan service isn't everything.

4. Yes, there's a lot of crap on my profile. There was a time when I was obsessed with easy platinums. Now, I have basically stopped playing Rata games, and the only reason I still play POWGI games is because they're already in my backlog and I'm trying to get rid of them. Aside from the occasional cheap and easy platinum, I've moved on from these types of "games". I do have several platinums I am legitimately proud of.

5. I'm only going to go for the platinum if I think it is doable from now on, or I really like the game.

listen, don't take my comments to heart. Trust me I don't bite. I just hate to see people take out their frustrations over platinum games rather than enjoying them and being a little over obsessive. I've been there before and it's caused me alot of depression and exhaustion. I would say alot of people on this website do have an OCD problems like myself. Back in the day I wouldn't go onto the next game until the first one was 100% whether I like it or not. If you haven't notice I have been playing alot of easy game bc I want to reach 300 plats quickly by this month and that leads be back in the rabbit hole of this ocd and addiction of platinum trophies. But I'am researching the easy games to plat that aren't tedious. The POWGI games are very tedious and i regret buying the crosswords one bc you have to complete every single category. I want you to enjoy your games bc I've met too many people who just fell off the planet of playing games bc they were too addicted to getting platinums. I'm a victim of that and I'm sure anyone else reading this is aswell. This website is a blessing and a curse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

I'll take a common whipping boy. Konami is a company. Ascribing words like "good" or "bad" to them (unless we are discussing performance) is meaningless; they are a company that produces products for consumption. My only interest in Konami is that they produce a product that I want. But when they produced a product I desired, they weren't (morally) "good"; I just bought the game they made because I liked it. Now that they produce products I don't desire, they aren't (morally) "bad"; I simply don't purchase the products and services they now produce. 

But unfortunately, so many people seem to want to crusade against companies nowadays. I dislike Sony's decision to close their PS3 store, and I abhor their decision to close their Vita store. But my general feeling about Sony remains the same; they're a faceless company. There is no inherent "evil" in their current action, because there was no inherent "good" in their previous action. I don't feel "anger" at Sony, because honestly, to whom would I direct such anger? Well, I guess Jim Ryan is a real dick, but even he only gets a headshake and chuckle from me.

Just because they're for profit corporations does not make them exempt from criticism, if anything, it means we should use our limited social capital to be criticizing them more, since they are, as you say, "faceless corporations". Corporations are inherently predatory and will get away with whatever you let them get away with; in that sense, outrage is merely an effective weapon at our disposal. 

And if you really want to start getting into semantics, there is no such thing as "good" or "bad", period - these are merely social constructs used to convey value judgements between people who exist within similar moral upbringings. Consumers using good / bad to indicate that a corporation does not respect them and / or treats them as bank accounts with delusions of grandeur is just as valid a usage of a subjective moral judgement as any other.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheSleepyBeauty said:

Goodluck with that when your favorite game series gets a new sequel and it's only for PS5 1f606.png

He could have a favorite like Gravity Rush or Bloodborne, those games could still get a sequel on another platform except Sony

(one never knows)

Edited by Nelson_Otaku

Maybe I'm just wearing rose tinted glasses since getting a PS5 but the big differentiator that finally made me move from Xbox to Playstation was the exclusives. A lot of the differences between the two consoles are pretty negligible in my opinion. While I played a ton during the 360 days and a little with the Xbox One, I look back and realize most of my favorite games were cross-platform. I'm not a huge shooter fan so that takes out Xbox's two big exclusives (Halo, Gears). I do really enjoy the Forza Horizon series but that's about it. Fable was fun but it never really took off to its full capabilities. There have been a few others over the years but it's pretty thing. I was really excited when they acquired Rare but they aren't what they used to be during their glory days on the N64.

I do wish Playstation did more to support backwards compatability but I feel pretty well covered for the games I want to play by having my PS5, PS3, and PSNow. It's not perfect but there are a ton of games I'm catching up on from over the years of mostly playing Xbox that I have no complaints. I don't really play many Japanese games so maybe that's one component that I can't relate to where I might feel differently. As others have mentioned, we're living during a pretty great moment in gaming where AAA games are dropped a lot more frequently across many genres than ever before. Who knows, maybe I feel burned out from Sony after this generation where this'll be the first time they've been my primary console.

It is pretty easy being a PS fan when you play and enjoy many of their 1st party titles in a timely matter. 

He could have a favorite like Gravity Rush or Bloodborne, those games could still get a sequel on another platform except Sony

Not likely. 

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 2

Nothing Sony has done is a touch on the bullshit that Xbox has pulled since 2011. Being an Xbox fan at that time was a thousand times worse than being a Sony fan now- trust me, I was one. Phil Spencer has done a commendable job of pulling the brand back up out of the cesspit, but still not enough has been done in my eyes to redeem it just yet. Game Pass is a great deal and the decent if not spectacular Backward Compatibility is cool but could be better. But it is the continuous lack of quality first party support that is most embarassing and the state that they were gonna try launch Halo: Infinite in was a massive L. My greatest fear is that all these lofty promises of expanded first party support and Day One availability on Game Pass for these titles will amount to a line of games of similar quality to Crackdown 3, and the initial showcase of Halo only lent credence to my concerns. I want Xbox to do well. Strong competition is what drives games companies to do their best. I want a good reason to get a Series X. But it really just isn't there yet. 

Now, do Sony look like they could fall into a downward trajectory like they did in 2006? Maybe, but so long as they continue to put out the highest tier of exclusives as they have always done, they'll still come out on top- and yes, exclusives do matter; it is clear that they mattered a lot at the end of the generation so they don't all of a sudden not matter now in spite of what Xbox fans say now and indeed what they were saying all last generation. I don't like Jim Ryan's attitude to legacy content or censorship even though it doesn't affect any games I personally like to play, but PlayStation is still making a lot of good moves that will probably keep them on top for a while to come. Those of you actually contemplating migrating away from Sony because they've made a few recent decisions you disagree with, well, I fear your destination will disappoint you. I came from there and I still see the fires burning.

• Like 3