*Fixed* If Your PS4’s Internal Clock Battery Dies, It Bricks Your Console

Kazduin

Update:

I didn’t see this anywhere and I thought it was important to share. Everyone is calling it the “CMOS bomb” and it renders your PS3 and PS4 unable to play even physical disks you own as well as digital content. This is going to be a huge issue. Thoughts?

[Source]

Edited by DaivRules
Posted update link
  • Like 1

Just now, Neptuos said:

I went into their "trusted hacker" twitter to see his reports, and the first thing i see is a song about feet and love mayonese.. We're good, don't worry about it.

Mutahar from SomeOrdinaryGamers on Youtube did a video on this detailing it. It’s real

2 minutes ago, PostalDudeRus said:

If it's same as CR2032 battery, you can replace it. But what is the problem of console unable to start apps? Internal time being "out of date/time" and console unable to correct it by itself without internet? I don't get it.

You connect it to the internet and let it automatically set the time. All the large companies have their own individual clock server that's for general devices. The server that the PS4 connects to get the time isn't specific to the system itself.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

Just now, PostalDudeRus said:

If it's same as CR2032 battery, you can replace it. But what is the problem of console unable to start apps? Internal time being "out of date/time" and console unable to correct it by itself without internet? I don't get it.

I guess that doesn’t remedy the issue.  I’m sorry if I’m poor at explaining the core issue. This video does a good job at explaining it. 

Just now, Sendai-Horatio said:

You connect it to the itnernet and let it automatically set the time. All the large companies have their own individual clock server that's for general devices.

Yup, it's mandatory thing to have. But why it "bricks" your console? Brick state it's when device is not even trying to begin to operate...

1 minute ago, PostalDudeRus said:

He's looking at the future from what i read. The only way ps4 gets date and time without the internal clock, is through the internet, so If sony closes psn service for the ps4 in the future, and the internal clock dies, you're fucked, apparently, just can't understand how tho, maybe the licenses have an "expire date" and without a date and time they can't be updated?

2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

It'll only brick your console if Sony goes out of business. It'll still work if you're connected to PSN. The PS3 was the same.

Yeah my bad that’s the concern with games preservation with the recent closing of the PS3 and PS Vita store. I haven’t been on a forum in almost nine years, I’m poor at explaining. I apologize 

Edited by Kazduin

i wouldnt worry about it. the amount of energy pulled from those batteries isnt alot. i have computers from the 90s that still boot up and have no problem with the clock. a few people might get some bad batteries that dont last. but imo the majority of people wont have a problem for over a decade at least. none f my ps3 batteries have went bad and im still using my 60gb launch ps3 that i got in like 2008 i think. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Neptuos said:

He's looking at the future from what i read. The only way ps4 gets date and time without the internal clock, is through the internet, so If sony closes psn service for the ps4 in the future, and the internal clock dies, you're fucked, apparently, just can't understand how tho, maybe the licenses have an "expire date" and without a date and time they can't be updated?

Yeah what makes matters worse is it affects physical media too. You can’t play any discs and the same thing happens on PS3

14 minutes ago, Neptuos said:

Console checks app's certificate date, if it's "future" of current time and date => validation failed.

If PSN goes down, they will release update disabling app validation, because there is no reason to check if app is valid without actual validation center.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PostalDudeRus said:

If PSN goes down, they will release update disabling app validation, because there is no reason to check if app is valid without actual validation center.

You mean they SHOULD release... It’s Sony we’re talking about ?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Neef-GT5 said:

You mean they SHOULD release... It’s Sony we’re talking about 1f609.png

Yeah, "SHOULD" is the word.

I remember how I bought my first games in Steam back in a middle of 2000s, and I thought what will happen if Steam goes down? There was answer on official page, stating that they will disable DRM and allow you to download everything and backup.

3 hours ago, Kazduin said:

I didn’t see this anywhere and I thought it was important to share. Everyone is calling it the “CMOS bomb” and it renders your PS3 and PS4 unable to play even physical disks you own as well as digital content. This is going to be a huge issue. Thoughts?

[Source]

I don’t buy the whole story being pedaled here. Yes, if PSN disappears overnight and the CMOS battery dies, your digital content will not be authenticated ( unless you just don’t shut down your PS4 and/or change your battery with the PS4 on), but you can just create a guest account that’s never connected to the internet and play all your disc games still. Since PSN wouldn’t exist at that point, who cares if you keep adding trophy lists to an account that would not be able to sync to a non-existant network any more. You’d still be able to play discs. That’s like saying no new PS4s can play discs out of the box until you’re forced to connect to the internet and that’s just false. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I don’t buy the whole story being pedaled here. Yes, if PSN disappears overnight and the CMOS battery dies, your digital content will not be authenticated ( unless you just don’t shut down your PS4 and/or change your battery with the PS4 on), but you can just create a guest account that’s never connected to the internet and play all your disc games still. Since PSN wouldn’t exist at that point, who cares if you keep adding trophy lists to an account that would not be able to sync to a non-existant network any more. You’d still be able to play discs. That’s like saying no new PS4s can play discs out of the box until you’re forced to connect to the internet and that’s just false. 

It’s an issue of game preservation in the distant future. From what I understand this also renders you unable to play physical disc media as well. It isn’t just a digital content issue. I’m poor at explaining it but I linked a video detailing the issue from SomeOrdinaryGamers on Youtube.

16 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

i wouldnt worry about it. the amount of energy pulled from those batteries isnt alot. i have computers from the 90s that still boot up and have no problem with the clock. a few people might get some bad batteries that dont last. but imo the majority of people wont have a problem for over a decade at least. none f my ps3 batteries have went bad and im still using my 60gb launch ps3 that i got in like 2008 i think. 

Yeah, in all my years, I've only ever had one CMOS battery die on me (on an old computer, which died completely a few years after the fact). I believe some devices also charge the CMOS battery while they're powered on, not sure if the PS3 or PS4 does that though. I haven't checked my original 2008 PS3 for a while, but last I did check (2017 I think), it was still fine. I'm currently using a 2009 slim model and it's still perfectly fine. Dunno if the Wii has a CMOS battery, I assume it does since it does store the time and date, and that's still fine too, had it since 2006-2007. Same goes for my 2004-2005 DS, and my 2005-ish PS2 Slim. I'm sure there's older I have laying around, but honestly, I don't really use consoles older than the PS2 any more, and don't really have any old PCs any more (my oldest is my 2013 laptop, also still fine).

• Like 1

My CMOS battery has been dead for a year or 2 now. The only inconvenience is not auto signing into PSN and being asked to set the date an time when I start the system. The moment I sign in there's no issue.

Now, if Sony were to retire PSN on PS3 there would be an issue, but at that point I would probably never touch the system again.

49 minutes ago, Kazduin said:

It’s an issue of game preservation in the distant future. From what I understand this also renders you unable to play physical disc media as well. It isn’t just a digital content issue. I’m poor at explaining it but I linked a video detailing the issue from SomeOrdinaryGamers on Youtube.

I’m aware of the digital game access preservation. What I don’t buy is that a PS4 is unable to play physical discs at that point even on a new profile. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I also found this video that further explains this issue and provides visual proof as a source. It covers everything important to know.

Keep this information is mind before going on a spending spree before the PS3 and Vita stores close.

Your PlayStation Software Has An Expiration Date | The CBOMB Explained - HM

34 minutes ago, PlanetCheat said:

I also found this video that further explains this issue and provides visual proof as a source. It covers everything important to know.

Keep this information is mind before going on a spending spree before the PS3 and Vita stores close.

Your PlayStation Software Has An Expiration Date | The CBOMB Explained - HM

They never show what happens if you just make another profile and try to play a physical disc on that profile.