*Fixed* If Your PS4’s Internal Clock Battery Dies, It Bricks Your Console

Kazduin

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

They never show what happens if you just make another profile and try to play a physical disc on that profile. 

They don't need to show that. DoesItPlay1 confirmed that the discs will not boot on PS4 regardless of different profiles. That's how the engineers programmed the PS4 to operate. The pdf file linked below even references this. DoesItPlay1 are full of experts that understand software, so there's no reason to not believe what they say.

C-Bomb FAQ.pdf

8 hours ago, PlanetCheat said:

They don't need to show that. DoesItPlay1 confirmed that the discs will not boot on PS4 regardless of different profiles. That's how the engineers programmed the PS4 to operate. The pdf file linked below even references this. DoesItPlay1 are full of experts that understand software, so there's no reason to not believe what they say.

C-Bomb FAQ.pdf

In either case (PS3 or PS4) the CMOS battery can be easily replaced. If it can be replaced and another profile can play physical discs then there is no case of consoles becoming “bricks”, or even more dramatically “bombs”.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

In either case (PS3 or PS4) the CMOS battery can be easily replaced. If it can be replaced and another profile can play physical discs then there is no case of consoles becoming “bricks”, or even more dramatically “bombs”.

Is it not proprietary? If it is, it means it can currently be replaced. Probably not so much a few years down the line when it's not as easy to find one.

"You still only have to connect to the PSN." Cool, cool, if you're cool with your machine becoming an online only console, that is. If I recall from the reaction to the xbone reveal, there's a significant number of people that aren't.

19 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

Is it not proprietary? If it is, it means it can currently be replaced. Probably not so much a few years down the line when it's not as easy to find one.

"You still only have to connect to the PSN." Cool, cool, if you're cool with your machine becoming an online only console, that is. If I recall from the reaction to the xbone reveal, there's a significant number of people that aren't.

No, it’s absolutely not proprietary, it’s the same battery on just about every computer motherboard in existence. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

All it is is a CR2032 button battery. Extremely easy to find, a lot of consoles use them for volatile memory or for clock management. All computer motherboards use them as well

• Like 2

So, like, apperantly Sony intentionally built the Ps4 to become unplayable in the future The error code is CE  34878-0 corraleting with the PS4 cmos battery dying. All digital files will be unusable without a server connection and kills disc playback. PSN will kill servers for PS4 in the future, its an inevitability and when the clock battery dies, it'll disable playing any games, digital or physical. 

This was intentionally designed  to stop people from cheating ps4 trophies, but may of also been deisgned to kill off PS4 in the future . The battery can be replaced, but the ps4 wont work until the Ps4 connects back to PSN, which may become impossible if all PS4 servers are shut down.  

Thoughts? That my launch PS4 is still going strong and I believe my PS3 is too. I now have a PS5 so...meh. Technology breaks in time, everything dies, including us, if a console lasts 15 years then that’s more than good enough for me as I’d have long since moved on.

Do I worry about Sony servers shutting down? No. As I don’t replay game, to me, this is only a theoretical problem related to game preservation which likely won’t rear its head until long after I’m able to play games due to being dead or no longer having the mental faculties  (I’m 38).

Edited by thefourfoldroot

• 5 months later...

19 hours ago, tony_snake_24 said:

Good, but what about ps3? 

hope it includes PS3 as well, still have lots of games on that console that i wish to play

20 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

It would appear that Sony stealthily fixed this issue in firmware update 9.0:

if date and time is showed being blanked, does that mean that it's going to be even easier for cheaters to try and justify they didn't cheat on a game ?

Edited by Corrin-of-Nohr
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Corrin-of-Nohr said:

hope it includes PS3 as well, still have lots of games on that console that i wish to play

if date and time is showed being blanked, does that mean that it's going to be even easier for cheaters to try and justify they didn't cheat on a game ?

Missing timestamps aren't flaggable as long as there's no multiplayer trophies with missing timestamps

6 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Missing timestamps aren't flaggable as long as there's no multiplayer trophies with missing timestamps

it'll be a problem anyway. imagine a guy playing GTA 5 online  for instance. Any online trophies he'll get will be flaggable. I can't imagine how many reports will be submitted..

Edited by Corrin-of-Nohr

4 minutes ago, Corrin-of-Nohr said:

it'll be a problem anyway. imagine a guy playing GTA 5 online  for instance. Any online trophies he'll get will be flaggable. I can't imagine how many reports will be submitted..

That's not how it'll work. If a console gets online, it immediately obtains the PSN time and holds the clock in sync as long as it's connected to PSN so any trophies earned online will have valid timestamps.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

That's not how it'll work. If a console gets online, it immediately obtains the PSN time and holds the clock in sync as long as it's connected to PSN so any trophies earned online will have valid timestamps.

Even without a battery in the console, as long as you're connected online you will have correct timestamps. Just each time you restart the system it'll ask you to keep setting the clock

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

thank you @DaivRules. I misunderstood :)