Is a 100% account worth it?

undeaduser666

I can only speak for myself, but having a 100% profile is fun. I've always gamed that way, even before trophies existed. I dont avoid games for any reason. I just buy games ill enjoy and I 100% them.

People will whine and say its not worth it, but as with anything in life, their opinions are empty if you're doing what you wanna do.

• Like 2

One thing I'll add to what I said earlier: I think I've been more rewarded for my completionist mentality than I've been punished by it. Honestly, I've had some of my favorite gaming experiences because of it.

For example, I never would have done the Splosion Man co-op levels (sadly it's only on xbox) if there hadn't been achievements tied to them, and they're freaking fantastic. Same for the Uncharted 2 and 3 co-op missions, GTA5 doomsday heist, and more. And I've met tons of great people going for trophies and achievements like that who I still keep in touch with and game with years later.

Edited by simmias
  • Like 2

It all depends on how you see it. 

Because I have unobtainables on my list, I can’t get 100 percent completion. 

Also I find many 100 percent accounts to basically pick and choose games the players think they can finish instead of putting on games where they might not obtain all the trophies.

I have more respect for the guy with 90 percent completion who tried out a bunch of hard games than someone with 100 percent completion who deliberately avoided certain games. 

There are people who avoided Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus entirely because of Mein Leben, which is completely stupid and it tells me trophies have affected them too much. 

• Like 3

it would be worth it only if you accept that you will have a very limited amount of games on it unless you plan on giving every game 50-100 up to 200+ hours per game, in which case you will have very few games on it, or you will only have $2 no name games in which case what's the point again, 100% is a sexy goal, but it's really not practical, aiming for ~90% is reasonable

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

*snip*

There are people who avoided Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus entirely because of Mein Leben, which is completely stupid and it tells me trophies have affected them too much. 

As mentioned, the experience will depend on person to person. And speaking of Wolfenstein II, this is ridiculous that people skip that game, just because of one trophy.

I go for 100% on my profile, but I hate seeing it at 100% for some reason. So as soon as I get to 100% I start a new game to get it back to 99%.

I also a majority of the time play only one game at a time until I 100% it. So I tend to have a huge backlog and rarely buy new games until they go on sale, so that saves me a lot of money too. The last game I bought at full price was FF7 Remake and before that I didn't buy a game at full price for at least 2 years lol

Edited by Thedah

I have read a few of the replies to this and I agree with almost all of them, I for one am aiming for the 100% so have slowed down on "new" and "challenging" while I fix some of the games I haven't touched in a while. That is the biggest drawback as I rarely play new right away unless I REALLY want to. Have spent most of my time cleaning up my list. 

Also what some have said is true I do cherry pick my games, as I do want a challenge to push myself, I don't want to waste my time with a challenge that I know is beyond my skill. 

I know to a lot of people my, rather small list by comparison to others, currently at 93% getting closer to that 100%, won't matter or impress anyone. But for me it's something I want to achieve and again while it's meaningless I enjoy working towards the 100%.

I've always had thought myself that there are at least 3 types of trophy hunters; the "completionist" going for 100% and all DLC, the "Collector" going for the high platinum count, and finally the "hunter" who goes for very specific and usually challenging games. 

No and honestly, don't bother with rankings, it's only tracking some players and to be up there you are gonna need many consoles, people for one account and play a shit load of garbage games.  It's just pointless. 

It's not worthwhile because it'll negatively affect you mentally.  Some day they'll throw some BS at you that you won't be able to beat, such as Mein Leben and that will send you into a suicidal spiral (at least I've seen some people here like that). 

Be like me.... Play and 100% what you want/ like.  Most 100% accounts are super planned, full of easy games or paid for anyway.  

• Like 2

imo not worth it

but i will say this, ive had a interest in uping my completion percentage lately. with as many games as ive played ive found myself bored shitless. ive avoided rata games for years and thought id never play them. but the past year with the price they are i dove into them and they arent to bad. so i went on some binges buying fast cheap games. i then get bored of that and try to bump my leaderboards up by trying to do quick games and get bored of that. when i first started playing i didnt care about completions and ihave at least hundred games that only have one trophy on them. so ive been going back and finishing those games out of pure boredom. ill do a few ps3 games then hop back to ps4. so it all depends on the person and what your going for

its more enjoyable if you just ranomdly play games for fun. when i was just going through tons of games not caring about my percentage i had alot more fun trying a game for 5 minutes and shutting it off if i wasnt interested. now i study games before i buy them or play the and its a pain in the ass. i look to see if its a game i think i can finish or i think ill enjoy. while before i could carelessly just flick anything on. ive turned on alot of games and got 1 trophy in a game thats under 1% platinum that i will never finish without looking lol and now im stuck with those games. there is some guy on the leaderboard i forget who, he only has about 30% completion. but hes played like 1500 games. the majority of games he has he doesnt finish. he prob has more fun then most of  us. but a good completion profile does look really nice. my friend arix has alot more patience then me and i kind of admire how when he turns a game on he doesnt stop until he finishes it 100%. i even see people who have less then 50 plats that are really good gamers dedicated to finishing really hard games to get 100% so i kind of admire those gamers.

i think we have all sorts of gamers these days. trophy hunters, completeionists, people who play for fun, people who just play one game, people who try to be high on the leaderboards, people who have a disposable income to just buy a ridiculous amount of games 5 times for each title etc.

i'll be the first to admit im stupid when it comes to gaming. i waste alot of money on shit that only matters to me. but it keeps me inside and out of trouble so meh, whatever lol

I would lean towards no, mostly because you would be spending a lot of money on DLC and you would have to deal with a lot of hard trophies. That’s just my preference though, I’m perfectly fine settling for the platinum and moving on.

2 hours ago, Fr_0zt said:

No and honestly, don't bother with rankings, it's only tracking some players and to be up there you are gonna need many consoles, people for one account and play a shit load of garbage games.  It's just pointless. 

It's not worthwhile because it'll negatively affect you mentally.  Some day they'll throw some BS at you that you won't be able to beat, such as Mein Leben and that will send you into a suicidal spiral (at least I've seen some people here like that). 

Be like me.... Play and 100% what you want/ like.  Most 100% accounts are super planned, full of easy games or paid for anyway.  

At my rank, there are roughly 4 out of 5 accounts that are generally 'trophy whore' accounts. Tons of garbage which is evident by the sheer number of gold trophies and worthless stacks. I did some trophy whore stuff but found it wasn't for me and quit.

98 percent is still pretty high, so that's good work on your account.

• Like 4

It's worth it to me to have mine. My old account ended up being a mess, and the enjoyment of adding games to it stopped being there when I realized that the account would never match my increasing devotion to finishing the projects I started. I left behind plats that I was really proud of and it was hard to do, but the incredible value of having a new account free of any past mistakes was so uplifting to me that I just can't have an account be any less than what I think is perfect any more. 

People say it's limiting, but I disagree completely. First of all, just have a separate account if you want to use for burner games or games you aren't sure about. Second, this "freedom" that people talk about in regards to not being able to ditch a project if you don't like it or if something else comes out you want to play, it's loose for me. I don't see freedom in playing 6 games at once and taking forever to finish them if you even do; I'd rather choose something and focus on it. I know when games come out I want to play and I tend to plan around it. I also know myself well enough as a "gamer" and can read the lists of games enough to know if a game is gonna be too frustrating to deal with the 100% and at worst I don't play it, otherwise I use my other account.

Don't have a 100% account if you don't want to actually put the effort into it, it's no better or worse for any individual person who doesn't actually own the account, but I look back on my old account and cringe a little at how I interacted with this hobby. That's just for me

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha
  • Like 2

A while ago I was browsing trophy sites, and discovered that im first in my country in the completist leaderboard on PSNTL

It motivated me to keep my account to 100% through the years, and i dont regret at all playing that way.

Yes i check every game before i start it, but i dont restrict myself not to play online or hard games. On the contrary i like to play hard games and use their platinums as milestones.

Avoiding only unobtainables, or games with grindy online trophies and old servers.

• Like 2

Regardless of everything they tell you, it is worth it if you are rich, if you are a normal person you CANNOT have a 100% account because ALL video games have DLC'S that are never or almost never on a discount. If for example I wanted to have 100% in my account, removing the impossible games, I would have to spend 200 euros on dlc's of call of duty zombie maps for games that I bought when I was a teenager for 10 euros simply to get a couple of trophies in a ps3 deadgame, worth? If you have money to spare then yes, but for a normal person there is no way it can be profitable to spend so much money on something like that.

• Like 1