Is a 100% account worth it?

undeaduser666

Very divisive topic I see...

I do it because that's how I've always played games. Back in the PS1 and PS2 I didn't get games very often so I would try to get everything I could out of each of them, and trophies are, more or less, an extension of that.

It's different now as I can get pretty any game but still enjoy completing them.

Ranking wise, it doesnt affect anything.

• Like 2

Trophy hunting has definitely affected the games I play. I have some unobtainable games so I will never achieve that 100% overall but I strove for keeping it above 80%. Around the 90-100 platinum range I became disenchanted with hunting but after popping number 100 it rekindled a fire in me (2020 in general helped with that too) and I piled a lot of easy games on and am closing in on 125.

In that blitz of games, hindsight showed me the games I just got to play through without following a guide or going out of the way for a trophy were the most enjoyable. I want to get back to that feeling and break the hold my OCD has - besides my backlog is big enough as it is, time to cut it down to size. 

If you are set on a 100% profile I would recommend a curated one of specific games and a separate profile for fun that you don't care about completion percentage. 

4 minutes ago, AriieSiiS_- said:

because ALL video games have DLC'S that are never or almost never on a discount.

Please don't spread misinformation, thanks.

Is a 100% account worth it? For me, no. I know my limitations and I'm way too lazy most of the time whenever I game.

Good on people who do it, though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AriieSiiS_- said:

Regardless of everything they tell you, it is worth it if you are rich, if you are a normal person you CANNOT have a 100% account because ALL video games have DLC'S that are never or almost never on a discount. If for example I wanted to have 100% in my account, removing the impossible games, I would have to spend 200 euros on dlc's of call of duty zombie maps for games that I bought when I was a teenager for 10 euros simply to get a couple of trophies in a ps3 deadgame, worth? If you have money to spare then yes, but for a normal person there is no way it can be profitable to spend so much money on something like that.

This is a nonsense post, I'm sorry. You're offering a very narrow, overly specific look at the monetary cost of having to buy DLC packs for CoD games that milk every penny out of people and saying that there's a correlation there to having a 100% account and dissuading people on that basis

8 hours ago, Mohemn_Ammar said:

as Daiv said it does not have any affect on ranking

is it worth it? it depends, if you're going to be the kind of 100% "Completionist" that sticks to easy games in fear of they're completion or make the 100% affect the games that they will be playing then don't bother with it. someone in this site said it already : someone with a 60%ish completion with hard/worthwhile games is better than a 100% profile with easy to medium games

and i had a 100% account before so i'm talking from experience. if only someone didn't get a trophy from a game with a closed server and ruin my 100%... left trophy hunting ever since

Personally I dont fear hards 100% games, I have 100% profile with some games rated 8/10 and 9/10 I think. 

My greatest fear is the multiplayer games because they can shut down any minute. 

But you have right, you need to check if the games in a 100% profile are the easiest or the hardest. 

21 minutes ago, AriieSiiS_- said:

Regardless of everything they tell you, it is worth it if you are rich, if you are a normal person you CANNOT have a 100% account because ALL video games have DLC'S that are never or almost never on a discount. If for example I wanted to have 100% in my account, removing the impossible games, I would have to spend 200 euros on dlc's of call of duty zombie maps for games that I bought when I was a teenager for 10 euros simply to get a couple of trophies in a ps3 deadgame, worth? If you have money to spare then yes, but for a normal person there is no way it can be profitable to spend so much money on something like that.

I have 100% profile and im not rich. 

You just need to have a job to support your hobby. 

I cant believe people say that 100% are not worth it because of the dlcs. 

I dont like 100% profiles with crap games and people think they did something great. 100% in combination with skill is worth it imo. Play games you like, no matter its hard and you will have my respect. Sadly there are not many comparables profiles out there.

12 minutes ago, Hwoarang_21 said:

Personally I dont fear hards 100% games, I have 100% profile with some games rated 8/10 and 9/10 I think. 

My greatest fear is the multiplayer games because they can shut down any minute. 

But you have right, you need to check if the games in a 100% profile are the easiest or the hardest. 

You also have, over the course of 12 years, only 57 games, not to mention, where you live games are cheaper than Europe, Canada etc,  so  your example isn't that useful.

Personally, it is exactly what stopped me, before  having  unobtainables,  I wasn't going to buy the entire DLCs packs in Little Big Planet, COD Black Ops,  Saints Row and all the hundreds of games I accumulated over the course of time, especially since in Europe, it is MUCH rarer to have DLCs sales.

I could have done it, money isn't  that much of an issue, unfortunately in my case, as it isn't stopping me from buying games to add in my backlogs, but I couldn't justify going as  far to  spend 50 euros for some 4-5 bronze trophies i couldn't get otherwise, so, i just dipped out, nowadays I just created a new account, under the 250 level range to do my 100% stuff, while I just play normally with this account.

22 minutes ago, Hwoarang_21 said:

that you can afford to spend money on games and then on dlcs does not imply that other people can

24 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

This is a nonsense post, I'm sorry. You're offering a very narrow, overly specific look at the monetary cost of having to buy DLC packs for CoD games that milk every penny out of people and saying that there's a correlation there to having a 100% account and dissuading people on that basis

I guess now cod's are the only games with abusive dlcs, when literally right now I'm playing ac revelations that has a dlc of 10 euros that last for 2 hours, 3 if you get all the trophies, Drakengard 3 with a dlc of 30 euros that lasts a few hours, etc

39 minutes ago, Bittersweet said:

Please don't spread misinformation, thanks.

Is a 100% account worth it? For me, no. I know my limitations and I'm way too lazy most of the time whenever I game.

Good on people who do it, though.

I guess now the defenders of dlc's come, especially people who can afford to spend 30 euros on a dlc like drakengard 3 that brings 5-6 hours of content as you have done

If you want to have 100% in every game, you have to have the money to buy dlcs that in the vast majority of cases are not worth the money it costs, if it hurts you it is because you have spent that money xD

12 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

You also have, over the course of 12 years, only 57 games, not to mention, where you live games are cheaper than Europe, Canada etc,  so  your example isn't that useful.

Personally, it is exactly what stopped me, before  having  unobtainables,  I wasn't going to buy the entire DLCs packs in Little Big Planet, COD Black Ops,  Saints Row and all the hundreds of games I accumulated over the course of time, especially since in Europe, it is MUCH rarer to have DLCs sales.

I could have done it, money isn't  that much of an issue, unfortunately in my case, as it isn't stopping me from buying games to add in my backlogs, but I couldn't justify going as  far to  spend 50 euros for some 4-5 bronze trophies i couldn't get otherwise, so, i just dipped out, nowadays I just created a new account, under the 250 level range to do my 100% stuff, while I just play normally with this account.

do not try, they will argue that spending 50 euros for 3 bronze trophies is fine, probably because they are Americans with thousands of dollars

41 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

I became a real 100% profile in 2013 not 2009.

And you need to have a specific number of trophies per year in order to consider if you are good or rich? 

And I have more than 57 games 100% complete in that period of time, but psone, ps2, psp, gamecube and a bunch of ps3 games doesnt have trophies. 

If they have, I should have more than 100 games in my profile completes to 100%

100% account, probably not. But getting 100% in games you like, maybe.

The problem I've found, for the majority of games I've played, is that my enjoyment of the game peaks much sooner than when I actually earn the platinum or 100%. I think there are maybe two exceptions to this. This usually leads to the 100% feeling more like a relief than a victory.

A cynical person might say, "Well, then why go for 100% at all?" But the thing is, there are many games that I would've avoided or quit much sooner if not for the 100%, and pushing myself further is the reason I got back into gaming after a fairly long hiatus. In fact, it was Demon's Souls that pulled me back in because it challenged me in ways that games just hadn't since the 90's. Trophies were just a neat little reward for all that hard work.

I'm not sure whether they're better for gaming or not, but I'm glad they're here.

39 minutes ago, AriieSiiS_- said:

that you can afford to spend money on games and then on dlcs does not imply that other people can

I guess now cod's are the only games with abusive dlcs, when literally right now I'm playing ac revelations that has a dlc of 10 euros that last for 2 hours, 3 if you get all the trophies, Drakengard 3 with a dlc of 30 euros that lasts a few hours, etc

I guess now the defenders of dlc's come, especially people who can afford to spend 30 euros on a dlc like drakengard 3 that brings 5-6 hours of content as you have done

If you want to have 100% in every game, you have to have the money to buy dlcs that in the vast majority of cases are not worth the money it costs, if it hurts you it is because you have spent that money xD

do not try, they will argue that spending 50 euros for 3 bronze trophies is fine, probably because they are Americans with thousands of dollars

Im not american, im Mexican but since the Mexican PSN is crap, I use american account. 

By the way the dollars in Mexico is overpriced and games here and psn card are more expensive that in europe.

I can afford it not because im rich, because i work in my profesión to support my hobby. 

13 minutes ago, Hwoarang_21 said:

I became a real 100% profile in 2013 not 2009.

And you need to have a specific number of trophies per year in order to consider if you are good or rich? 

And I have more than 57 games 100% complete in that period of time, but psone, ps2, psp, gamecube and a bunch of ps3 games doesnt have trophies. 

If they have, I should have more than 100 games in my profile completes to 100%

Here's the thing, you say you can afford it, because you work, but  the number of games you have accumulated in 12 years (or even 8 years), is indeed, very limiting for a trophy hunter, me, myself, with the 300 games I have, or even 500+ if counting the  backlog would be a  far cry from the hardcore, it doesn't help your case, when one has to  limit themselves at having 1/6 of the games they would normally play,  for example, would YOU buy all the DLCs for 300+games? It is a complete different  money burn   than buying DLCs for 47 games with a platinum and 10  without a platinum, and don't even get me started on games without a trophy list, Nintendo never had them yet I still bought all their consoles, even the shitty Wii, but this is a completely different situation  as  we're talking about getting 100% profiles  on trophy hunting.

So no, it's not a quesiton of how many trophies you earn, but a question of how many games you bought, as the more  you buy games, the more money you spend, and the money spent is even more    if those games have DLCs, 95% of  people who remained active hunting trophy for 8 years have long surpassed that amount, and in doing so, they'll have to spend MUCH  more money than you in pursuing this objective, whether they have a job, get the money from their parents, inheritance, or whatever, which brings  me to my initial point, your example does not give you a good point, I wouldn't pay  the full package of the 500+ games i bought, maybe some that I like, but every single one of them  just for a 100%? Not in a million years, and I'm sure  you'd do the same.

Also, haven't tested it, but Mexico and North America use the same SIEA basis  on their Store, so you should be able to buy  directly there  just as  i can spend on  the UK Store even though it has a  different currency, it converts it, so the same should apply  to you.

7 hours ago, bluemoon1987 said:

People do what they want but I don't get people that make new accounts just to have the 100% I much prefer to see an original 2008 account on any percentage than an account that cherry picks games they're certain they can 100%

There is a lot of great input on this thread, but this stood out to me because when I started trophy hunting more I thought about making a new account. After thinking about it though I liked seeing what is basically a timeline of my ps3-4 gaming. Now I'm getting platinums in games 10 years later and it's pretty funny to see that on my account, longest platinum leader board would be awesome to see.

I'll never get close to 100% but I set my own goals. For instance I started at 37% completion on this site and aimed for 50%, hit that now I'm going for 60%. Its like Mario Kart, staying in the lead you get boring items and just hope that a blue shell doesnt hit you 10 ft from the finish line on the last lap, if you are behind and you get the star or other awesome items, it brings so much more joy to use those and move up the ranks.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Here's the thing, you say you can afford it, because you work, but  the number of games you have accumulated in 12 years (or even 8 years), is indeed, very limiting for a trophy hunter, me, myself, with the 300 games I have, or even 500+ if counting the  backlog would be a  far cry from the hardcore, it doesn't help your case, when one has to  limit themselves at having 1/6 of the games they would normally play,  for example, would YOU buy all the DLCs for 300+games? It is a complete different  money burn   than buying DLCs for 47 games with a platinum and 10  without a platinum, and don't even get me started on games without a trophy list, Nintendo never had them yet I still bought all their consoles, even the shitty Wii, but this is a completely different situation  as  we're talking about getting 100% profiles  on trophy hunting.

So no, it's not a quesiton of how many trophies you earn, but a question of how many games you bought, as the more  you buy games, the more money you spend, and the money spent is even more    if those games have DLCs, 95% of  people who remained active hunting trophy for 8 years have long surpassed that amount, and in doing so, they'll have to spend MUCH  more money than you in pursuing this objective, whether they have a job, get the money from their parents, inheritance, or whatever, which brings  me to my initial point, your example does not give you a good point, I wouldn't pay  the full package of the 500+ games i bought, maybe some that I like, but every single one of them  just for a 100%? Not in a million years, and I'm sure  you'd do the same.

Also, haven't tested it, but Mexico and North America use the same SIEA basis  on their Store, so you should be able to buy  directly there  just as  i can spend on  the UK Store even though it has a  different currency, it converts it, so the same should apply  to you.

57 games is nothing. Over a 10 year period that’s basically taking trophy hunting very slow and steady, going at a turtles pace. 

I mean, a decade ago this would of been impressive because trophy hunting was relatively new. But the fact is there’s so many games that you can find for low prices, there’s just too many games to keep track of.

I have around 450 games including the backlog, I already spent thousands of dollars. DLC I’ve spent alone is ludicrous. Eventually it comes down to where you can’t 100 percent everything and you just have to settle with what you can get. 

Good post.

• Like 2

Nah, it’s just a number. Even if you go for one, chances are later on that you’ll be permanently locked out of a 100% profile. Because even new games are still flawed: some may have glitched trophies and so forth. The only possible way for one to maintain that streak is to just handpick their games, do hours of research on a trophy list to see if they’re obtainable, etc. It’s honestly too much work if you ask me.

2 hours ago, AriieSiiS_- said:

you have to have the money to buy dlcs that in the vast majority of cases are not worth the money it costs, if it hurts you it is because you have spent that money xD

What are you even on about, lol. I was pointing out that specific part of your post claiming all games have dlc and that they hardly go on sale. 

Not all games have dlc (amazing huh), some dlc are just for cosmetic purposes and have nothing to do with trophies, and I prefer to get dlcs when they go on sale (yes, there are sales. Multiple sales, even).

I got the Drakengard DLC, so what? That somehow automatically equates me to being a "defender"? Is that supposed to be an insult or something? Lol

To my knowledge, that dlc never got discounted when compared to other Square Enix game's dlc. I actually waited about 2 years before finally deciding to buy it because I accepted that price would never budge and that I, y'know, love Drakengard enough to get it. 

Do I wish it was cheaper? Yes.

Did I enjoy the dlc? Yes, not hurt by it at all.:dance: Veiled low key shade aside, I spend money because I saved up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

My game list are not limited considering that I have a limited time to play video games since forever. 

You are comparing your 300+ games with mines but did we have the same time to spend in video games? 

So basically both have problems, you have 300+ incompleted games because to much dlcs you cant or dont want to buy and I have only 57 games because my límited hours of play a day. 

And im not a trophy hunter, trophy hunters never play games without trophies, I play the games I like even if they dont have. 

I cant believe that my 100% profile doesnt mean nothing lol

• Like 1

I admit I avoid trashalaika and stuff I don't have any interest like Souls and pixel indies. But I lol-d at some statements about avoiding hard and challenging trophies so I should've probably avoided Days Gone because the dlc challenges are difficult. So yes, my 100% profile is worth it for me, it's one of the few things that makes me feel good in my miserable existence.

18 minutes ago, Hwoarang_21 said:

My game list are not limited considering that I have a limited time to play video games since forever. 

You are comparing your 300+ games with mines but did we have the same time to spend in video games? 

So basically both have problems, you have 300+ incompleted games because to much dlcs you cant or dont want to buy and I have only 57 games because my límited hours of play a day. 

And im not a trophy hunter, trophy hunters never play games without trophies, I play the games I like even if they dont have. 

I cant believe that my 100% profile doesnt mean nothing lol

We all have 24 hours a day, I work just like you,  I just feel that it's irresponsible to collect 500+  complete DLC packages (97% [ish, didn't do the exact calc, but it's less than 30, so yeah] of the games I buy are with a platinum, saying this  since 100%s tend to cost less and very rarely have DLC, at least when compared to games with plats)  for a percentage, truth be told, I have scaled back  a lot ever since Covid, last month I  wasn't  even able to get a platinum, and hey, technically  it's 141 100%,  with 300-ish Ultra Rares gotten along the way, so I could have went with that  as a 100% profile if I was REALLY selective, but nah,  I would have lost some good games, and maybe even develop an OCD for 100% that could have made me spend more and more for said percentage,  maybe I would have even forced myself to finish Fallout 4 and Resident Evil 5 with their clunky controls brrr, I'm not making this a competition, just telling you why your spending model can't be applied to  people that try to climb up the  ladder, because they'll have thousands of games at some point.

11 hours ago, KennethMcCormick said:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that 100% not a game into their profile, but climbeth up the leaderboard some other way, the same is a thief and a robber."

- Jesus Christ

That one was the best. Thanks a lot for your post. Made my day :=)

• Like 3