Around 2200 Digital Games will be lost on shutdown

DEI2EK

Just now, RNumbers said:

Not to split hairs, but aren't any PS1 and PS2 classics available on disc (for PS1 or PS2) by definition? I understand they're still being "lost" in a sense, but to me that's a different situation than something that is TRULY PS3 or Vita exclusive digital content.

Yes, you are correct they're not "lost" however some of those games were easier to purchase on PS3 such as Atlus's SMT games (though nocturne is getting a remake released soon). Such games command a good price and the price is going to skyrocket for them.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it will be impossible to buy the entire catalog before the shutdown; no one has the means to do so. I've accepted that fact and will probably only get games/DLC I've either already started or wanted to have for trophy purposes.

PS1/PS2 Classics/PSP games I know I won't get them all (although I did get a few from the announcement and had quite a few PSP games in the years leading up to it). Not to mention the actual physical copies are astronomical in price so buying a $10 digital version will be cheaper.

When this happens on PS4 (and we know it will based on actions from Sony today), it will be a lot worse.

4 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

When this happens on PS4 (and we know it will based on actions from Sony today), it will be a lot worse.

It might happen but luckily Ps5 is backwards compatible, so we will see more sales of Ps4 games even during the end of Ps5. If Ps5 even had the slighest of BC with Ps3, probably would be around a little longer imho.

Edited by NERVergoproxy

A friend linked me an article to emulation that is being patented by Sony that basically would award trophies to older games if requirements were fulfilled so I wonder if maybe Sony is shutting it down just to bring them back and finally put all titles on PS Now. I am more than 98% wrong but I can hope. It seems weird to have trophy emulation if a lot of games would be lost with this shut down.

Also gamesharing is going to go through the roof. Maybe PSNProfiles can have a dedicated thread for gamesharing but putting in some type of waiver or warning?

Edited by kdogg_gamer_

6 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

A friend linked me an article to emulation that is being patented by Sony that basically would award trophies to older games if requirements were fulfilled so I wonder if maybe Sony is shutting it down just to bring them back and finally put all titles on PS Now. I am more than 98% wrong but I can hope. It seems weird to have trophy emulation if a lot of games would be lost with this shut down.

Also gamesharing is going to go through the roof. Maybe PSNProfiles can have a dedicated thread for gamesharing but putting in some type of waiver or warning?

That patent is from 2012 and just had a minor update recently.

While it's a good signal someone is thinking about it, we haven't seen anything besides PS2 on PS4 titles apply it, so I wouldn't get your hopes too high that there are more plans for using it.

8 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Gamesharing might lead to ban on a person's psn account as it against sony's policy. 

Edited by Akhil1234

4 minutes ago, Akhil1234 said:

Gamesharing might lead to ban on a person's psn account as it against sony's policy. 

True but if they shut the store down I cant really see them caring too much about it.

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

That patent is from 2012 and just had a minor update recently.

While it's a good signal someone is thinking about it, we haven't seen anything besides PS2 on PS4 titles apply it, so I wouldn't get your hopes too high that there are more plans for using it.

Yeah good point. I also am not getting my hopes up. I already did that with Max Payne 2 getting released for trophies and that was years ago.

i'm going to do what i can to save as many titles as possible. the number is lower but looking at 500$ to save all of the plat titles that i can complete no problem.

rest happen to be 100% trophy's which i cannot save due to lack of money (plan to make an attempt to save the good ones as well).

Edited by kingdrake2

3 hours ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

F for the preservation of games.

Is this a negative as far as preservation goes?

The games are still there for downloading, in perpetuity - if someone had bought them prior to the closure - right?

So from a preservation and ‘historical’ point of view, they will all be stored on a server, and accessible for those purposes, I would assume

1 hour ago, nrs1nrs1 said:

anyone have an idea how PS1 emulation for PC is going? Is there a reliable way to play PSone Classics after the shutdown through less official means?

It's more or less bug free if you know what you're doing and have it setup correctly. PS2 and PSP emulation is fantastic too. Unsure of the rules here in regards to speaking about emulation so can't direct you specifically to the sites but if you youtube it you'll find your answers.

Very sad. I hope the recent Sony patents indicate they plan on bringing some of these titles forward. Sony has always been lacking in the backwards compatibility department. They really need to attempt emulating PS3 games on PS5.

• Like 1

sony are just being dickheads. ever since they changed the store to that new gui layout it was a mess to navigate. it was clunky and hard to browse and crashed alot. theys lowly stopped giving a shit about it when ps4 came out, stopped giving a shit about it cutting off discounts, and even more stopped giving a shit about it when they cut off ps plus games.

i know a guy who was on a popular tv show years ago for warner brothers and they discontinued his merch. when he was telling me why he said it was making profit, but not the profit they wanted. the profit it was making was 100k. to people like me and him or you guys thats a enormous amount of profit. but to warner brother it wasnt. theyd rather cut it all off and put something else there.

sony killed ps3on purpose they have been, which is sad. they are def making profit. but they would rather stray people to move forward to ps4 and ps5 to make even more money. it also reminds me of what they did to battlefield bad company. they took down the forums and cut the community off, then took down the leaderboards. then they had the new system up which sucked. they shut the original website down. it killed the community and made people move onto newer battlefield games.

im kind of wondering if ps3 disc values will go up now. digital had made discs cheap and useless. ps4 games go down in price on disc fairly fast compared to the previous generation. i think this was because we could always just grab it digital for cheap on a sale. over the years i know alot of girls who had kids who bought old systems for their kids because to the kid they werent old enough to care how old the system was. so i know there is still a demand for old stuff. maybe not a huge one but its there. hell i have 8 ps3s. i just love the console so i always buy them when i see one for sale that works at a decent price. i wish theyd have a huge blowout sale. ive decided to buy the dlc and games i need and just splurge on it even though its going to be expensive. im going to break the pricing down over the next few months and space it out. theres a few games i didnt jump on when they had server closures and didnt care at the time but now i wish i did finish them.

1 hour ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

i dont think game sharing is going to go through the roof very much. i think between friends it might. but take someone like me i have over 1500 downloads. theres no way i would let anyone on my main account no matter how much i knew them. unless it was a local friend who brought his playstation over and let me activate then deactivate their console which will never happen because none of my local friends are trophy hunters. 

1 hour ago, nrs1nrs1 said:

anyone have an idea how PS1 emulation for PC is going? Is there a reliable way to play PSone Classics after the shutdown through less official means?

use a mame arcade. you wont get trophies but you can play ps1 games. i bought a empty arcade cabinet off ebay a old one. fixed it up. bought the arcade stuck and plugged its usb controller into a very old pc and mame it. download whatever games you want. 

• Like 2

@melodicmizery I don't think it will be a real big impact in the retail game prices.

One reason for this is, we are upset about this decision, because we are "purists" and like the old gen, but many people are not really annoyed of losing the "old generation" because they are not into playing it anymore, even when there is a backwards compatibility the most people will just play a hand full of old games they really liked and don't care about the rest. The reason for this is, to much new AAA games, to less time to play everything. I mean at the end you often must ask yourself "do I invest 100 of playtime in a 15 year old game or in a new game when I don't have much time to play anyway?" and you will often end with the new game.

The other reason is that the prices for the preowned games are relatively stable and I don't think they will rise because of this store closure. When a game is not rare, it will be not "more rare" only because it is now no more buyable digital. You will still get the AAA-titles which everyone knows cheap, and the "rare games" will be still expensive.

The next reason is the "re-re-...masters" if you get a new version for another console as complete edition with polished graphics etc. the old original version often loses it's value, and the developers know, how much money you can make with re-releasing old games. A perfect example for this is Nintendo. They nearly re-released every AAA WiiU game on the Switch. It is only a handful of games left, till the WiiU is getting to be nothing more than a Wii-Emulator for HD-TVs. It would be no wonder, when with PS Now and remasters etc. this is happening with the most PS3 games, too.

And the last reason is, if there would be an impact, it should be already exist since Sony doesn't support anymore the old consoles, because they don't made PSN Sales anymore, too, so every game in the PSN store was full-priced and everyone who doesn't need to have the game for self-boosting as digital release, was searching for it as "cheaper pre-owned retail" but the prices didn't really change for the most of the games.

The only thing I can except is, that the preowned PS3 consoles will fall for a "short time" in prices. On one hand because of the store closure, on the other hand because of that there will be come a moment, when you just can buy a PS5 without any shortage. But after that the PS3 will be again get a "normal price level" because there will be more and more PS3s which are broken.

The main victim is digital only PS3 and Vita titles. 

I’ve downloaded stuff for my Vita using my PS3 and then transferring it to Vita. I don’t know if that will be possible with the store shutdown. 

All I really know is this is going to encourage the pirates out there to start grabbing a hold of these games and try to emulate them. Hopefully one day these games will be available on PC, because once I’m finishing getting what I want out of the PS3 and Vita I’m going to start to say goodbye to Sony. 

2021 may be the final year that I’m sticking to Sony platforms, when I comb thru my backlog and get most of it done I will probably retire my trophy hunting account and stick my gaming full time to Steam.

Sony has completely tarnished their reputation and trying to destroy everything that came before the PS4 came out in 2013 is full proof of this. 

The economy is still in the shitter and I’m facing issues outside of this. Just sad this all had to happen so quickly.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1