How to fix a leaky shower?

DoctorDisinfect

2 minutes ago, Stand_User3 said:

I've got a leaky shower. Plumbers are expensive, so I'm coming here for free advice?

Let me add some details. It's been leaking for a few months now, I've tried everything. Someone online said it was a cartridge problem. What does the even mean?

Just turn it off and on again.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Stand_User3 said:

I can't possibly make anything worse so might as well try.

Trust me, you can. If you don't know what you're doing it's better to get a plumber than flood your house. Then it's going to be really expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

I was gonna respond sense I've worked with plumbing before(good and bad) as a home improvement company, but you beat me to it!

No. It can be worse. 

A lot. 

Do NOT manhandle the copper.... You WILL have a bigger plumber bill than before. 

No over tightening! 

And please... Turn off your main water in the basement or wherever it is located before doing anything, and make sure you turn the sink and shower on to drain the pressure. 

And then after you've done your job let all the taps in the house run for like 20 30 minutes. Sometimes the shutoffs can make the water yellow. It's just debris in the shutoff and pipes. This is normal and will go away after running. They're simply not used to being moved. 

Goodluck! 

And I pray nothing makes a plumbers bill go up if something happens and you can't fix it. 

Point is, get a plumber and pay the money. Pray he charges ethically. If not, you leave an anonymous online review.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Point is, get a plumber and pay the money. Pray he charges ethically. If not, you leave an anonymous online review.

It depends, taking the regulator out is easy(usually...), if he messes with other stuff while doing that though... Or over tightens, then... 

Again I pray

But I always try to fix something, unless I know damn well it's out of my league or I don't have the tools. Saves a lot of money. But. Gotta be wise. Know when to stop and say "I'm at the limit of my knowledge for this", or you end up doing what I did, and that was a $800 fix, when it could have been $150 :/

• Like 1

Quick Update on the Leaky Shower.

I found a replacement cartridge after finding the right model on the Kholer site. I will attempt to replace the cartridge tonight or tomorrow. (Also, I know I need to shut down the water supply to the house)

Thanks, for the advice people. I will update on my progress when I am finished.

Also, I did find a YouTube video guiding me on how to replace it. I have all the tools, and I think I should be able to get it done easily.

Edit: Added last sentence.

Edited by Stand_User3
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Stand_User3 said:

The replacement for the cartridge ended up being fairly easy. I don't have a leaky shower anymore. Thanks for the advice. :]

That's awesome! Good job!! 

Also fun fact if you ever want to trick someone in your house for a... longgg time like I did, 

Put the regulator on flipped, this way they will put it to hot, but really it's cold, and they'll always think there's no hot water. 

Oh it was funny xD, until they found out... Hahahaha

• Like 1

This has been a fascinating experience. 

I did not expect be taken on a journey today of someone's adventures on the road to fixing a leaky shower while casually browsing through trophy hunting forums, but here we are.

The end is near. May your showers leak no longer, my friend.

• Like 1