Martyy23

Store shut down theory / idea / hope

20 posts in this topic

I've been thinking this week, and have now started seeing posts and articles pop up on a similar wavelength.

What if Sony are removing all the old stores, to put all that content in PlayStation Now? Remove them from purchase, but have them readily available with a PS Now subscription.

I've always quite liked the PS Now library selection, but Game Pass is pulling way ahead, and so far with very little response from Sony.

That's what got me thinking; why keep all these old games, in old stores, on old consoles, where a dwindling number of people will come across them?

Yes okay it is an inconvenience for current PSP, PS3, PSVita owners that maybe aren't playing on newer consoles, but there has to be a time when these things come to an end.

So, why not shovel a load of old games which may never have seen the light of day again, into the world of subscription gaming.

I for one would love to see this, but is it asking too much? Is this something you would like to see happen? 

I mean, it's better than losing them for good!

Sony aren't that clever or thoughtful. Once the PSP, PS3 and Vita stores close, all that content will be lost forever.

Like HuntingFever said, Sony doesn’t give a rat’s ass about game preservation. If they did, they would have announced something already.

It's asking for too much when PS Now removed support for Vita games ages ago and never really had support for PS1, PS2 and PSP games.  Honestly I think the next thing to go is going to be PS3 support on PS Now.

Uhm no. You know how many games that is?? Sony's not that generous.

Sony won’t do that, they can’t even make ps+ available for everyone anyway 

26 minutes ago, Martyy23 said:

I've been thinking this week, and have now started seeing posts and articles pop up on a similar wavelength.

What if Sony are removing all the old stores, to put all that content in PlayStation Now? Remove them from purchase, but have them readily available with a PS Now subscription.

This is a possibility, once PS3 titles are unpurchaseable entirely there'll be more reason to stream them on PS Now; but they would have to majorly improve the streaming quality in order to make it worthwhile to stream them at all. They're definitely not going to put all, or even close to all games on PS Now, though, at most we could hope for the library doubling, I would imagine.

Ps3 library will be eventually available through bc (sooner or later). Im more worried aboud my vita. Playing On ps3 or ps5 isnt that different but, vita portability will be lost :(

If they were going to do that, I feel like they would have announced it at the same time as the closure. I know it would’ve reduced the amount of panic buying going on, but it would’ve also lessened the backlash

9 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

If they were going to do that, I feel like they would have announced it at the same time as the closure. I know it would’ve reduced the amount of panic buying going on, but it would’ve also lessened the backlash

Who knows? Maybe they wanted panic buying to boost sales. People get mad and then they get over it; I doubt if Sony will lose customers over shutting down these stores (or an acceptable amount at least).

Sometimes corporations are evil, sometimes they're just out of touch, most of the time they don't give a shit. I think this is equal parts the later two. I don't think there was any grand conspiracy to boost sales. ... more fanfic.

I honestly think it's more likely that they will think "and the next step, we are removing PS3 games from PS Now". Maybe when there's enough PS5 games to have those on there too, but likely earlier.

I don't think all games will be available, especially the games which are not worth it, like games with remasters on the newer generation and games which are just not interesting enough to make them available for PS Now or make a backwards compatibility.
We saw it with the Xbox backwards compatibility, even when you are willing to make many games playable on newer consoles it is much effort and they did not a bad job, but by releasing the Series X they ended their effort to make other old games playable on the newer generation and focused on making all XBOne games running on Series X without problems.
And of course, MS is not killing it's store for old games so far, is not ending the sales for old games so far, is still giving every month 2 games for XBOX/360 with the 2 Games for XBOne (and is not giving games only for Series X to annoy everyone who had no chance to get it even when a cross-buy version with a older generation is possible). At the end, there will be a limit for giving XBOX/360 games with GWG, because they want to ensure they work with the new systems, too, and the library of BC-games from the old consoles is limited. And maybe they will kill the support for the 360 store, too, in near future.. But they don't act as bad as Sony and that is what is annoying me the most. Sony makes one mistake after another and they turned the tables. With the release of the XBOne we all made our jokes about "hey you want a console which doesn't need always online? Get a X360" "you want to lend a retail game? Get a PS4" and MS is not doing everything right, too, but they got the spirit and Sony lost it completely. And Sony started it with "Hey look at our new store, in which you can't search and filter anything like you want it and which doesn't work, we delete the old one" and "hey we don't give any more PS+ games for vita and PS3... and you get instead... NOTHING, because we don't give you more games for the PS4 than before." And because of how they handle the old systems till now (Nintendo-Style) I don't think they will be interested in giving us the option to play every game which was released on PS3 and sure not every game which was released on PSV/PSP, and if they do it, than by charging us again (Nintendo-Style).

If they did this, it would probably be the thing that convinces me to give PS Now a go. Been tempted a couple of times but nothing is enough to make me bite the bullet.

Sony seem to be missing an open goal when it comes to their older titles and back catalogue, which is an area Microsoft is beating them in. PS2 classics was a dud and is dead in the water at this point and Now, whilst a bit better, is still missing a bunch of titles. I know that one of the higher ups has gone on record saying that he doesn't believe people want to play the older titles but, personally, I'd be more inclined to spend money on those rather than a new title in the store. If they put the PS1 games in the store, I'd rather spend £40 on 10 games that I enjoyed as a kid and haven't played since than 1 modern title that I might not.

Just have to see what they do next. Maybe the backlash to the store closing might influence their decision.

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, AgentSmiz said:

Just have to see what they do next. Maybe the backlash to the store closing might influence their decision.

Where is the backlash? I haven’t seen any hashtag or visible widespread protest on social networks. This is where voices are heard, not in closeted websites like PSNProfiles.

Edited by MaxieM0us3

Doubt it, they still can't get PS Now right - it still isn't available in every country 

This would be a brilliant idea, but this needed to be in place long before closing the store doing completely. They've shat on a lot of old-school fans by doing this and I feel they would've said that were emigrating them all to one complete store with the emails that got sent out. That would at least take some of the heat off of Sony at the moment. 

That said, this is Sony and they like to do it their way so I doubt this would even interest those higher up. Shame.

I will never buy a PS3 so most of the PS3 only games I was ever interested in coming to some subscription service would actually be an improvement to me, as it would mean easy access to all of them for very little money. However, given that Sonys recent track record suggests that they are basically managed by baboons who must have been created by at least 10 generations of heavy inbreeding, I highly doubt we will see that happen, as it would require basic thought and common sense. The more likely scenario is, sadly, hundreds upon hundreds of games getting lost forever, and others that are not already part of PSNow or members of the minimum effort remaster club will only be available via physical copy, if there is one.

22 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

that they are basically managed by baboons who must have been created by at least 10 generations of heavy inbreeding,

For no particular reason. That comment deserves a thumbs up.