Beautiful game with a story to match

Met the bloke that made this a few years ago whilst it was in development and loved the demo. Just remember the book part more than anything because of the words being used to progress. My mate and I thought this will do well and it looks like it has. This was at the Retro computer meet up in 2017 or 2018 in Colchester, England.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is definitely an enjoyable game. I played without a guide and only missed 3 fireflies and 2 black asterisks. The chapters are not very long so use chapter select to get anything you've missed. Just remember to make it to the next save point before returning to the main menu.

HINTS for easily missed fireflies and black asterisks.

Spoiler

Chapter 3 Diary - After using the airplane to pick up the 1st black asterisk, stay on the left diary page while falling to pick up the next two.

Chapter 3 - Do NOT break the stones/columns while chasing after the desert guardian.

Chapter 6 - While breaking purple coral during the final water descent, watch for fireflies on BOTH the left and right walls to break out of the coral

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

I am in the middle of this game and at first, thought well, might be a kids game.  So far have been pleasantly surprised on the gameplay and how engaging it is.  Not using a guide so already know I've missed a bunch of stuff.  The way the developers are handling the subject matter is actually pretty good, and I would recommend it for kids 10 and up.  Will do another short review once I've finished it, which might be in a couple of days.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Story wise, I did enjoy this game. Even as someone my age (41), it brought back memories of being seven years old and losing a relative who meant a lot to me, linking me to the character's pain and growth. I only saw at the end that the writer is Rhianna Pratchett, daughter of Terry - she's picked up some of her old man's storytelling talent, certainly. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazing one! Like others, felt would be more on the kiddy side, but it slowly was getting darker and darker...really enjoyed the combination of the diary and the actual gameplay. The interactivity of the former made it that it was not redundant after that many chapters. Really smart gameplay, albeit not difficult. Only little detail that did annoy me was the used font in the actual gameplay, did not match at all and was tilting me haha (really clever to switch it in the diary when she becomes an adult)

My grandma having gone through hell and pretty much being on her last months, kinda hit too close to home with this one ?

• 1 month later...

Super easy game, 100% makes up for any boring gameplay with an amazing and touching story. Well-made and executed for what it is IMO and well worth a playthrough.

The story definitely moved me, which I always appreciate and applaud in video games.

• 3 months later...
On 2022-01-07 at 7:22 PM, gpgpgp22 said:

This is definitely an enjoyable game. I played without a guide and only missed 3 fireflies and 2 black asterisks. The chapters are not very long so use chapter select to get anything you've missed. Just remember to make it to the next save point before returning to the main menu.

HINTS for easily missed fireflies and black asterisks.

Reveal hidden contents

Chapter 3 Diary - After using the airplane to pick up the 1st black asterisk, stay on the left diary page while falling to pick up the next two.

Chapter 3 - Do NOT break the stones/columns while chasing after the desert guardian.

Chapter 6 - While breaking purple coral during the final water descent, watch for fireflies on BOTH the left and right walls to break out of the coral

Is it easy to mop up missed collectibles in this game? Like are they tracked in game and you can you see which chapters you’re missing from?

I’m thinking about giving this one a shot and jw if a collectible guide is necessary or if I can just relax and play without constraints. Looks like a nice calm, relaxing game and the way it integrates words into the puzzles is pretty neat. Reminds me of a game called Typoman that I played a few years back.

46 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Is it easy to mop up missed collectibles in this game? Like are they tracked in game and you can you see which chapters you’re missing from?

I’m thinking about giving this one a shot and jw if a collectible guide is necessary or if I can just relax and play without constraints. Looks like a nice calm, relaxing game and the way it integrates words into the puzzles is pretty neat. Reminds me of a game called Typoman that I played a few years back.

I've no idea if colletibles are tracked or not because I followed this guide. There's chapter select, though.

I've never played Typoman, but I can guess Lost Words: Beyond the Page is easier since I had no trouble platting the game.

On 2023-05-15 at 10:58 AM, zizimonster said:

I've no idea if colletibles are tracked or not because I followed this guide. There's chapter select, though.

I've never played Typoman, but I can guess Lost Words: Beyond the Page is easier since I had no trouble platting the game.

Yeah the gameplay in Lost Words looks a lot simpler. Typoman is pretty simple too, but it’s more of a platformer. It looks to have similar mechanics though in the way you use actual words to manipulate the environment or complete puzzles. Definitely a fun one to check out if you get a chance. Thanks for the guide btw I’ll take a look when I get around to this one.

Edit: Well I really wanted to like this one and was sure I would, but it was a miss for me. It had some nice touches and tender moments, but I found it extremely boring for the most part as the gameplay is not really engaging in any way and exploration is basically non existent. It’s only a 4-5 hour game but it felt about 3x longer than that. Not a bad game though but it’s clearly made for small kids or entry level gamers. Worth it if you just want some mindless easy trophies.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1