PlayStation 4 User Impressions

Parker

I can only say what I've experienced so far. 

-I absolutely agree about the DS4 controller, love the weight, the size increase.

-The PS4 is a damned sexy piece of machinery!

-From what I've searched, I'm digging the XMB.

The not so good...I've been waiting almost and hour to set up my account. Just staring at "Please wait". I wanna play Knack sometime today.

Otherwise, this was a damned good investment. I'll update when I find out more.

• Like 1

My gripe so far was not being able to sign in. Background downloads are amazing. The store is super fast (keeps kicking me out but i can just go back in no problem to where i was). Already got resogun downloaded. Contrast is almost done (4x larger than resogun). Everythings really fluid so far and once they figure out their end itll be better.

Ps parker do your plus codes work? None of mine do but the $10 voucher. Music unlimited. And game addon codes worked fine. But the 30 day trial and 7 day trials didnt

• Like 2

My gripe so far was not being able to sign in. Background downloads are amazing. The store is super fast (keeps kicking me out but i can just go back in no problem to where i was). Already got resogun downloaded. Contrast is almost done (4x larger than resogun). Everythings really fluid so far and once they figure out their end itll be better.

Ps parker do your plus codes work? None of mine do but the $10 voucher. Music unlimited. And game addon codes worked fine. But the 30 day trial and 7 day trials didnt

Unfortunately, if you are already a Plus member, the trial codes won't work. I read that on the PS Blog a few days ago. 

Good to hear your impressions of the system. My systems should have arrived by the time I get home but I envision a busy first hour installing the hard drives and setting everything up before playing. Hope my A50's work mic works (my wife gets the surround sound for her system! I get to play with the headphones. Not complaining!) I've read conflicting things but am guessing since it's a USB mic (from the mix-amp) it should work with ver. 1.5.

Well so far I do like the look of the PS4 as it is very sleek looking. DS4 is cool, but I am still more familiar with the DS3 and actually prefer it. XMB/UI is very fast, everything loads super fast and trophies do sync in seconds.

Didn't bother with the codes except the 10.00 one. Store is lightning quick and background downloads are very innovative. 

Gripes? Took me forever to get signed in last night. It suggests you go into Playroom to see what you can do and check it out, but there are trophies associated with it and if you don't have the camera it goes against your percentage. Did the BF4 digital upgrade and midway through campaign it said there was a problem with the application and shut down. Now my save file is corrupted and I have to redo campaign from the beginning. Should have just got the physical copy, but hoping they work the kinks out as it does have a lot of potential.

I agree with all of what Parker said in the original posting...a few things to add:

The Good:
-Start up time is excellent, and even better when using standby mode.  It take my A/V receiver longer to click to the right source and start passing through video than it takes for my PS4 to get going.
-Graphics are unreal!  COD looks waaaay better on my PS4 than my buddies PS3.
-Adding to his UI comment....not only is the UI clean, and similar to other SONY products...but it also super responsive.
-Dual Shock 4 is ultra comfortable.  Even handling a new controller didn't seem like a problem and my hands never cramped or got tired.

-4 PS4 exclusive PSN games ready to go on day one was a pretty nice surprise.  As was the $10 PSN credit and free 30 days of PS+

The Bad:
-Why did they insist on calling everything an application?
-The PS4 camera is a little janky on the stand...kinda worried how it will hold up over time.
-I was logged out 3 times just trying to set up and link my PSN account to the PS4.  Also a bit worried on what will happen during primetime hours with all these new servers.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the console and my game choices so far - Knack, COD: Ghosts, and FIFA.  
My grade:  A-

Edited by CactusFantastic
  • Like 1

I'm pretty pleased with it.  I have a plethora if minor complaints (is there no way to change the background?  No way to have avatars that aren't on PSN?  No sort options for the trophies?  I like to sort mine by earned day so all the unearned ones are bulked together.  I also can't sign into PSN.  If it's a server issue it's no big deal, but if it's unloadable on my dial-up connection I'll be very upset (I just want to sync my trophies, is all!)

These would all be fixable with updates though.  The console itself is amazing, and I love the controller!  I'm playing Assassin's Creed 4 and the graphics aren't revolutionary: It's not like the first time I played my first game in 3D (Super Mario 64) or HD (Motorstorm), but they do look fantastic.  The amount of texture is amazing, and it's only going to get better in the future.  I'm pretty excited about it!

I can confirm that Astro A50 headsets will work with the PS4, for audio at least, I haven't tried chat yet. I hooked up the optical cable to the back of the PS4 and ran the USB cable from the MixAmp to the PS4, booted the system up and it immediately recognized the headset. I didn't have to mess with any menu screens, options or anything like that. Just hook up the cables and go, which is absolutely awesome. I'll be trying chat in a few days but I don't think it is supposed to work yet. 

Parker