DualSense battery drained every morning.

Quink666

So this is the 3rd time that my PS5 controller has been totally drained when i try to start up my PS5 after being shutdown for 12-18 hours.

I play with it mostly plugged in and charging all time. Had 3 bars (fully charged) yesterday when i turned off my PS5 and today 18 hours later the controller is totally dead and needs recharging before i can play.

Battery time while i'm playing while not charging is pretty good so i doesn't seem to be an battery issue.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Edited by Quink666

happens on my red ps3 controller and also silver ps3 controller, also have two original ps4 controllers that does it that just wont hold a charge long. pretty sure its a dead battery issue.

also im just saying the obvious but maybe try a different cable and different charging port. maybe the cable or port shorted it out or something along those lines.

Edited by melodicmizery
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, melodicmizery said:

happens on my red ps3 controller and also silver ps3 controller, also have two original ps4 controllers that does it that just wont hold a charge long. pretty sure its a dead battery issue.

That's a bummer considering the controller has only been used for 150ish hours. Guess i'll have to play with it plugged in until i can get a new one.

4 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

So this is the 3rd time that my PS5 controller has been totally drained when i try to start up my PS5 after being shutdown for 12-18 hours.

I play with it mostly plugged in and charging all time. Had 3 bars (fully charged) yesterday when i turned off my PS5 and today 18 hours later the controller is totally dead and needs recharging before i can play.

Battery time while i'm playing while not charging is pretty good so i doesn't seem to be an battery issue.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Contact sony for a replacement controller, you're under warranty

• Like 3

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

Contact sony for a replacement controller, you're under warranty

Man i'm stupid, i didn't even consider that. Still have like 9 months of warranty left. Guess i totally forgot it since iv'e been so lucky in the past and never had any issues with any of my electronic devices. ?

• Like 1

Update: Today my controller has full battery for some strange reason. 

I believe i might have a clue as to why. Yesterday i unplugged my controller from the charging cable that is connected to the PC before shutting down my PS5.

The days that the battery have been drained i'm pretty sure i turned off my PS5 while the controller was still connected to the cable & PC. That's the only thing i can think of.

19 hours ago, Quink666 said:

I play with it mostly plugged in and charging all time.

With most Lithium Ion batteries, this is the problem. If you keep it plugged in and charging all day long whilst you're playing, you're actually increasing the time it takes to deplete the battery life. Having it plugged in means no recharge time which is healthy for the battery's life. Like with phones and laptops, it's best to only charge it when it's actually depleted or close enough to depletion and even better if you can leave it alone until 100% charged but of course that will most likely never be the case but the least you could do is take it off the cable and let the battery drain. Just like your own body, if you keep feeding yourself energy, very quickly you will be stuffed and eventually have no juice left to function.

• Like 1

My first Dualsense wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple hours then got stick drift so I ended up having to get another one.  

The second one is the first time I ever paid warranty on anything because if my controllers are going to get fucked every 2-300 hours that will get quite costly.

• Like 1

I've had this exact issue with both of my Dualsense controllers.  It is sorta rare but it just mysteriously happens some evenings where the controller discharges overnight but then doesn't happen for several days or weeks.  I have two controllers that I swap between with the idea being that one should always be fully charged, but I don't have a charging dock so I notice it immediately when the other is not charged and I want to swap.  I think this is a known issue with the Dualsense and its current firmware.  There is a reddit thread about this exact issue and I think that all Dualsenses are susceptible to this on the current firmware version.  I don't believe it has anything to do with the controller being faulty, a bad battery, overcharging or anything else because my controllers work absolutely fine and charge absolutely fine.  I'm guessing there is something in the controller firmware that is glitched where it is draining power gradually over hours of time when the controller and console should both be off.

People with one controller or a charging dock may not notice it as much though, but I've tried a lot of different theories to try to track down what the hell is going on with the Dualsense.  My guess it is something that Sony needs to fix in their controller firmware.  I tried plugging in whichever controller I used last before turning off the system and controller, I've tried leaving it unplugged and I never overcharge my alternate controller or even turn it on to use many days.  I have been unable to find any pattern yet and as far as I can tell any "good practice" for battery life is not applicable to this issue.

Edited by Elegy

Since my latest post here it has only happened once more. The day before it happened i had the controller plugged into the cable/PC when i tirned of the SP5 and the day after the battery was drained. Everytime i turned off the PS5 with the controller not connected to the PC via the cable i have had battery the day after. I feel like some how the Dualsense get a connection or something with my PC and drain battery even though the controller is clearly off and no lights are on.

Seems very strange indeed.

• 1 year later...
On 09/04/2021 at 11:34 PM, Quink666 said:

Since my latest post here it has only happened once more. The day before it happened i had the controller plugged into the cable/PC when i tirned of the SP5 and the day after the battery was drained. Everytime i turned off the PS5 with the controller not connected to the PC via the cable i have had battery the day after. I feel like some how the Dualsense get a connection or something with my PC and drain battery even though the controller is clearly off and no lights are on.

Seems very strange indeed.

What did you do to turn on the controller? I think my controller just died but I can't turn it on. I put it on the charging dock while the console was on rest mode. then tried to connect it to my pc while the console was still on rest mode and it doesn't turn on.

• 2 weeks later...