Start ps4 version now or wait for ps5?

I have been meaning to start this game for a while, however, I have always been hesitant as I get worried that servers will shut down before I can complete it and ruining my completion percentage. However, on the other hand, it is a final fantasy game and a mainline entry. Should I just go for it or wait for ps5 version? Thank you

The game shouldn't be going anywhere for at least another 5 years or more, from what the devs have said recently. As for whether you should wait, I guess it depends on how much you care about the upgrades that the PS5 version offers. The PS4 version plays great (and loads fast) on PS5, so I'm not sure the difference will be that big regardless.

I suppose the main question is... do you want to download the client now, and then download it again on the 13th? If that's okay with you, come on in! :)

The servers aren't getting shutdown anytime soon. The previous MMO is still online, and XIV isn't going anywhere anytime soon

Anyway, your progress carries over. So there's not much reason to wait. Especially if you're just interesting in the trophies, since they take at least 6 months to get. 

• Like 1

Hi. You should play the free trial available on PS4 or PS5. PS5 trial will be available April 13. I suspect that doing one of the free trials may void you from the other though so be careful there. Also the free trial is only available if you haven't subbed to XIV before or bought the actual game. Servers aren't going anywhere. I really recommend going the route of the free trial because it gives you unlimited time through the ENTIRE base game (ARR) AND the first expansion, Heavensward. That is easily ~100 hrs of play without you needing to pay. The moment you either pay a sub or buy the game though you won't be on the trial anymore.

Also, saves are all server side so it is possible to platinum on PS5 and then go back to PS4 and pop the platinum there. It won't happen automatically but instead, you just need to do one more of each action (craft 1 more item, kill 1 more enemy, etc).

When selecting a homeworld, choose one that is "preferred" and you will get double xp until you're lvl 70 and you'll be over leveled as you play too and never get level gated.

Let me know if you have any questions. I love helping out people trying to get into this game. It is the best FF game IMO.

Edited by MakoSOLIDER
  • Like 1

I'm curious as to how the two trophy lists will work. Ideally I'd like the PS4 platinum in my collection, but if I'm just starting I'd prefer to play the PS5 version.

I believe right now you can play on PC and then auto pop the PS4 trophies, I don't see why it wouldn't work the same with the PS5 version. Just download and log into the PS4 client after fulfilling all the requirements to auto pop everything?

1 minute ago, Benzychenz said:

I'm curious as to how the two trophy lists will work. Ideally I'd like the PS4 platinum in my collection, but if I'm just starting I'd prefer to play the PS5 version.

I believe right now you can play on PC and then auto pop the PS4 trophies, I don't see why it wouldn't work the same with the PS5 version. Just download and log into the PS4 client after fulfilling all the requirements to auto pop everything?

Yeah. Should work. You'll just have to do one more of each action related to the trophies. 

As the PS5 relevant title came out today, can we agree that this is an important question?

I make myself the same incognita as PS5 looks insane, even though I don't have a problem with grinding, the game looks like gonna take around 2000 hrs for completition! What's the real answer here then? I don't think getting a PS5 soon, so I'll just be on this version though, but on the other side the PS5 has all the content added with trophies. 

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you really like the game beforehand AND have solid friends/team to play with.

I started with friends but now they all left off to other stuff.

While I enjoyed the game for most parts the grind is super long and boring. And it's far worse on PS5.

So I'd say it depends on how many hours you can endure suffering.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna start the free trial for FF XIV. I have both the PS4 and PS5 versions installed (both on my PS5 SSD) and haven't started either nor made a character. Which should I play? It seems the PS4 version is easier to get trophies for, but the PS5 version is the better version of the game itself. To be clear, I intend to use the free trial to make sure I like the game enough to sub for it in the future.