Worst control design ever

So I just started this and was ready for a nice nostalgic trip. 

My first impression from the settings in the main menu were good, since you can customize the control layout completely. 

But then I realized ingame that they decided to set aiming to toggle and crouch to hold.... WTF

It should be the opposite. Hold to aim and toggle crouch. How can you mess up something easy like this completely and make such a horrible choice? 

I remember very well that there was the option in the PC version to change that and select what you prefer. They should either patch that back in or at least change it the other way around. 

Well PC games were always more customisable then Console games. Guess they just took the XBOX version (actually suprised that there wasnt a PS2 version of it when I searched it...?) and slammed it onto the PS4 store just like the other old star wars games.

There was not really a standard back in the day.

Could have done the effort though.

2 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

Funny, I had the same thoughts. This layout could have been updated, and they could have added a choice between toggling and holding the crouch and aim function. In that regard, it's a pretty lame "remaster". More like a cut-and-paste port.

Nevertheless, I opened a thread with a custom layout to help people over on the EU page. The thread can be found here.

Not a remaster never was. Was always just a port like all the other star wars games coming out.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

Funny, I had the same thoughts. This layout could have been updated, and they could have added a choice between toggling and holding the crouch and aim function. In that regard, it's a pretty lame "remaster". More like a cut-and-paste port.

Nevertheless, I opened a thread with a custom layout to help people over on the EU page. The thread can be found here.

What annoys me is that they made it possible to completely customize the controls, wich is nice, but then they ruin it completely unnecessarily  by doing this. And it's not like it wasn't possible in the original and therefore would have been too much work. 

Edited by Sinthoras_96

As someone already mentioned earlier, it's probably due to the fact, that it wasn't possible on xbox either. These are very low effort games, with a fair prize. Most PS2 classics have the samze prize and are even less polished. I expect we will get KOTOR and KOTOR2 as well, since aspyr already released mobile versions.

Really hope they remaster the force unleashed titles in the future, but ps3/360 era is probably too new for them haha :D

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Wander - Shadow of the Colossus Wiki - Neoseeker

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to complain about your recent article/ thread, in which you claimed Star Wars: Republic Commando had the worst controls ever.

I would just like to remind you, that I exist.

Need I remind you, I jump with a triangle button, shoot arrows with a square button, aim with the same stick as I move, require two buttons just to roll, can flip 180 degrees during climbing for no reason, and fly through the air with the greatest of ease at the slightest bump or hiccup.

I am also, somewhat famously, able to fall off a horse in a seemingly open field, just by brushing against a small pebble, and am adept at failing to climb any object if my camera is not perfectly perpendicular to said object, and just hump it limply instead.

Just because I corrected all these things in my later game, does not justify you in taking away my part in the Guinness World Record as worst controlling video game.

I would thank you to think before you type next time.

I do not want to have to climb up you (very slowly, and with great difficulty and with innumerable confusing camera pans) and stab your head with my sword until you fall over and black stuff comes out of you.

I don't know how much more of that stuff I can ingest.

Yours Sincerely,

PS3 Wanda

(Protagonist, Shadow of the Colossus (PS3))

While this was fun to read, I don't complain about the actual controls / button mapping, since you can completely customize them here. 

26 minutes ago, westersburg said:

As someone already mentioned earlier, it's probably due to the fact, that it wasn't possible on xbox either. These are very low effort games, with a fair prize. Most PS2 classics have the samze prize and are even less polished. I expect we will get KOTOR and KOTOR2 as well, since aspyr already released mobile versions.

Really hope they remaster the force unleashed titles in the future, but ps3/360 era is probably too new for them haha :D

Why would they Remaster this based on Xbox? I'm sure it's based on PC 

18 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

While this was fun to read, I don't complain about the actual controls / button mapping, since you can completely customize them here. 

Why would they Remaster this based on Xbox? I'm sure it's based on PC 

because you have already existing console controls. A lot of these old games didn't have controller support in the pc version.

Haven't played myself yet, but from what i heared this should feel a lot smoother than the jedi knight controls on ps4. Better aim assist and controls should feel "very responsive". Don't know how important crouch in this game is. Holding that is pretty dumb, but i assume you play through the game standing most of the time.

Aim toggle is also weird, but not a surprise in these old games. Killzone HD (ps3 version which came out 2012) had also toggle aim. Killzone 2+3 also had toggle aim by default, but you could change it there.

Edited by westersburg

2 hours ago, westersburg said:

because you have already existing console controls. A lot of these old games didn't have controller support in the pc version.

Haven't played myself yet, but from what i heared this should feel a lot smoother than the jedi knight controls on ps4. Better aim assist and controls should feel "very responsive". Don't know how important crouch in this game is. Holding that is pretty dumb, but i assume you play through the game standing most of the time.

Aim toggle is also weird, but not a surprise in these old games. Killzone HD (ps3 version which came out 2012) had also toggle aim. Killzone 2+3 also had toggle aim by default, but you could change it there.

Crouch is only necessary to move forward in some areas. In combat its quite useless. I don't really care for crouch holding, but the aim toggle is just stupid. 

Even if this was the original Xbox version, the fact that crouch is holding shows that it's possible to do it like that even in this version. Simply changing that for aiming shouldn't be too much effort to program. 

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to complain about your recent article/ thread, in which you claimed Star Wars: Republic Commando had the worst controls ever.

Need I remind you, I jump with a triangle button, shoot arrows with a square button, aim with the same stick as I move, require two buttons just to roll, can flip 180 degrees during climbing for no reason, and fly through the air with the greatest of ease at the slightest bump or hiccup.

I am also, somewhat famously, able to fall off a horse in a seemingly open field, just by brushing against a small pebble, and am adept at failing to climb any object if my camera is not perfectly perpendicular to said object, and just hump it limply instead.

Just because I corrected all these things in my later game, does not justify you in taking away my part in the Guinness World Record as worst controlling video game.

I do not want to have to climb up you (very slowly, and with great difficulty and with innumerable confusing camera pans) and stab your head with my sword until you fall over and black stuff comes out of you.

Yours Sincerely,

PS3 Wanda

Lmao, this might be the best post I've seen on PSNP ?

• Like 3

On 7‏/4‏/2021 at 10:21 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Yours Sincerely,

PS3 Wanda

this is why we love you sir stumble boy.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The control mapping is very much of its time, the right stick aiming movement is weirdly rigid, and the lack of toggle crouch really sucks, but I think it is very playable overall after playing  one or two levels to adjust. I used to play the hell out of the original Xbox version though.

Edited by communistwookiee

On 15.11.2021 at 10:45 AM, communistwookiee said:

The control mapping is very much of its time, the right stick aiming movement is weirdly rigid, and the lack of toggle crouch really sucks, but I think it is very playable overall after playing  one or two levels to adjust. I used to play the hell out of the original Xbox version though.

Of course it's playable. But how much effort would it have been for the devs to give us the option to change toggle and hold for crouch and aiming? I played the PC Version back in the day and I'm sure it was possible to do that. 

It simply feels lazy as fuck to not include this option. This is an unnecessary letdown for this remaster.