Playing this as an arachnophobic...?

ICY_Jack

I am curious what you say about how far I will make it.

I "suffer" from arachnophobia but I just couldn't resist picking up the PSVR aim controller form a local store with a discount. I plan on playing the other supported games (Bravo Team, Firewall etc.) too, especially since Doom3 VR just came out and other coming games are announced to work with it.

However:

I played the first mission and it gave me chills. My heart rate went crazy and I had cold sweat, especially when the smaller spiders made their way to me.

Do you think I will stand through the whole game?

There were already some situations where the spiders came from behind or to close for my comfort and I tried to melee them with the contoller (weird that it isn't possible btw).

Real life confrontations are very stressful for me and I can't imagine making skin contact. Movies and other games on the TV I can manage to some extent if it is only for a short time. But I have not experienced them in VR before.

I feel like this will either be my cure or give me nightmares.

For context - I played the Farpoint demo a few years back on an EXPO, but that was with company and with broad daylight and not playing on my own as I am now. I enjoyed it and I kinda knew what was coming for me now. Nonetheless, I think that the atmosphere of the final release is more tense and darker than the demo I played.

Let me know what you think and how you think about the spiders in this one. I am curious to hear your opinions.

I honestly think the cure is therapy based rather than exposing yourself to a more enhanced version of the thing that you have a phobia of. Just seems silly to put yourself through something that causes an elevated heart rate or the biological reactions you listed there. Arachnophobia can be overcome, I just don't think a PSVR headset and controller are the cure.