[Sproiler] funeral animatic.

Doomed_Gary

They say this is a deleted scene, but they cynical side of me thinks this was written and made after all the shitposting about Ava. The direction and camera angles look way different than anything that's been in the series so far. There's also something else that I really can't put into words, but it just doesn't feel like a BL cutscene at all, it way out of line with everything prior (even Tina's emotional scene in BL2). It's actually quite a nice scene and I see no reason why it was cut or used in place of what was actually in the game. 

Edited by nyarLOLhotep
I'm a dummy.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dalailama1989 said:

You might want to replace the first word of the threads title with "Spoiler"

That's it. Borderlands 3 is officially ruined.

It wasn't the second season pass, or all the glitches and bugs through the game. It's this one spoiler. Goddamn you @nyarLOLhotep

• Like 1

Was it actual deleted scenes? I assumed the DLC would just be a satiric director's cut like Saints Row 4 did with the Enter the Dominatrix dlc.

That being said, Gearbox is supposedly very unorganized - I was a member of the Battleborn community for a long while and one of the community managers had stories about how, for instance, everyone would do their own thing - like for this one character, the lore writer and person who wrote dialogue (IIRC) completely refused to cooperate and so the character's behavior was extremely inconsistent between the two mediums. That seems to have been pretty consistent through the game's development; I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened with BL3.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nyarLOLhotep said:

They say this is a deleted scene, but they cynical side of me thinks this was written and made after all the shitposting about Ava. The direction and camera angles look way different than anything that's been in the series so far. There's also something else that I really can't put into words, but it just doesn't feel like a BL cutscene at all, it way out of line with everything prior (even Tina's emotional scene in BL2). It's actually quite a nice scene and I see no reason why it was cut or used in place of what was actually in the game. 

The entire game development process was full of significant cuts, drops, re-writes and sudden last minute direction changes which lead to the final story to be so....weird in it's pacing and continuity. One example is massive and would have been way way better than what we got in the main game. We would certainly likely have not got that rubbish final boss fight as a result:

Spoiler

There was meant to be a full on power dynamic shift between Troy and Tyreen during the boss fight with Troy which would have completely flipped the whole parasite aspect of their relationship and redefined who the actual threat was.

A Reddit poster threw up a load of leaked information, assets and files which really highlights where the story and game could have gone but didn't.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

The entire game development process was full of significant cuts, drops, re-writes and sudden last minute direction changes which lead to the final story to be so....weird in it's pacing and continuity. One example is massive and would have been way way better than what we got in the main game. We would certainly likely have not got that rubbish final boss fight as a result:

Hide contents

There was meant to be a full on power dynamic shift between Troy and Tyreen during the boss fight with Troy which would have completely flipped the whole parasite aspect of their relationship and redefined who the actual threat was.

Huh, that definitely makes sense; Gearbox seems like one of those companies that's accidentally successful; their development process really is a mess.

Spoiler

It felt like they were building up to that, but then you just end up killing Troy; very anticlimactic.

The villains in general kind of sucked compared to Handsome Jack; I think the writing is still better than... whatever BL2's mess of a game was, but I see a lot of people say the opposite, presumably because BL2, while being badly written, had a fantastic villain, while BL3 was overall a bit less cringey but had mediocre villains.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Huh, that definitely makes sense; Gearbox seems like one of those companies that's accidentally successful; their development process really is a mess.

Hide contents

It felt like they were building up to that, but then you just end up killing Troy; very anticlimactic.

The villains in general kind of sucked compared to Handsome Jack; I think the writing is still better than... whatever BL2's mess of a game was, but I see a lot of people say the opposite, presumably because BL2, while being badly written, had a fantastic villain, while BL3 was overall a bit less cringey but had mediocre villains.

Yeah, Handsome Jack was so brilliant and I think a big part of why BL2 is beloved by many is because of his presence :). From a pure gameplay and visual perspective I thought BL3 was the best out of the franchise so far and there were some real moments of greatness in the storyline, I just really wish that pivot had occurred between Troy and Ty.

Have you played Tales from the Borderlands? I think that might contain my favourite story in the franchise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Was it actual deleted scenes? I assumed the DLC would just be a satiric director's cut like Saints Row 4 did with the Enter the Dominatrix dlc.

They say it's a deleted scene(on the website). There's no tab for deleted scenes in the menu. This one is included under the "animation" tab. A lot of stuff there looks to be very early footage of the build. The animatic in question sticks out like a sore thumb is you look at the other stuff in the same category, even the other pre-vis stuff.

@Crispy_Oglop Yeah, that all falls in line with the final product. It feels like piece meal story telling.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Yeah, Handsome Jack was so brilliant and I think a big part of why BL2 is beloved by many is because of his presence :). From a pure gameplay and visual perspective I thought BL3 was the best out of the franchise so far and there were some real moments of greatness in the storyline, I just really wish that pivot had occurred between Troy and Ty.

Have you played Tales from the Borderlands? I think that might contain my favourite story in the franchise.

Borderlands 3 definitely has the best gameplay of the series; I absolutely love the characters, the multiple active skills, and the feel of the gunplay; although I wish they'd go back on their promise of not adding DLC characters. Seems like they've given up on putting effort into DLC though given the contents of this "season pass". It's a shame, because I would gladly pay for multiple season passes if they would actually give us multiple season passes worth of content - even BL2's headhunter missions were fun little diversions that added flavor to every mission.

And yes, I have! I loved its story; I think partially because it goes back a bit to the more 'space western'-y style of BL1 without sacrificing BL2's zany humor. I grew up with BL1 and was hoping for a return to its form with BL3, but no such luck - at least I never have to hear, "IS YOU HYPERION?!" again, though. At least not until I make my attempt at platinuming BL2VR.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Borderlands 3 definitely has the best gameplay of the series; I absolutely love the characters, the multiple active skills, and the feel of the gunplay; although I wish they'd go back on their promise of not adding DLC characters. Seems like they've given up on putting effort into DLC though given the contents of this "season pass". It's a shame, because I would gladly pay for multiple season passes if they would actually give us multiple season passes worth of content - even BL2's headhunter missions were fun little diversions that added flavor to every mission.

The gameplay is leagues better than BL2. It's not just a recency bias thing either, thanks to the Lilith DLC I was playing BL2 again on and off right up to BL3's launch. I think season pass 2 would of been worth it if we even got one full story DLC out of it and not this half-assed side mission crap. It's with the most widely reviled character as well( I don't hate her personally, but I don't like her either). I'd like to see headhunter's come back, or even the peak. I don't think they could do OP levels though, they're having enough trouble balancing the game as is. I'm just worried about the pricing. BL2: Digistruct Peak 5$, Headhunter 3$. BL3: Cosmetic for ONE vault hunter 10$.

• Like 1