Runs horribly

DirectorsCuts

Is anyone else having issues with low framerates and occasional freezing for several seconds? At first it was only happening when I give a Spirit Log to the fire but it's now also happening as I walk across the map. Didn't expect this from a game with such simple graphics.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 2:18 AM, foursmols said:

Is anyone else having issues with low framerates and occasional freezing for several seconds? At first it was only happening when I give a Spirit Log to the fire but it's now also happening as I walk across the map. Didn't expect this from a game with such simple graphics.

Same here. I get random stutters from time to time. Especially when interacting with the campfire.

Also should be mentioned that it takes around 4.5 minutes to get to the island from the PS4 menu. Laughable, considering that plat will take at very least 90 short daily sessions. (Which is especially funny compared to open-world Days Gone loading in 2.5 mins)

Edited by timquo

Playing via PS5, loading still takes awhile before initiating a game session. Think it took 30+ to get thrown into the game. And pop ins started to show the more stuff I unlock and that starts appearing in the island (when increasing your relationship with the spirit bears) Otherwise, game for the most part runs good, and is a very alluring game to gaze at. Overall, pretty cozy experience 

Playing on PS5, loading my save today took 1m25s (seems like it takes longer as my campsite/island gets more crowded), and there is a lot of pop-in and stuttering. Probably frame-rate drops too, but I'm not really sensitive to that kind of thing.

The worst thing about this game on console is when you have a bunch of decorations/animals/trees in one spot. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to properly select the exact item you want. You just kind of have to stand near it and hope the (x) lands on the right item. I was trying to select a bird, but the (x) kept going to decorations around it, and after like 20 tries I had to just remove the decorations in the way.

• Like 1

I play on PS5 and I'd say there are minor performance issues, mainly just abnormally long loading times.

But honestly, with the way the game is played, I don't really mind. Its one of those games you pick up and play for an hour or two a day, then move on to doing something else. The occasional hiccup doesn't bother me and I wouldn't let it convince you to not give the game a go if you're interested in it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZeromusF4 said:

There was a patch yesterday that greatly improved performance and boosted fps.

Load times even on the SSD are still balls though

Agreed. Unfortunately, the patch broke the ability to drop items from your backpack, so you have to throw them instead. I contacted the dev and they said it will be patched.

Also, you can no longer sell your original bird for relic ash, you will get 250 in coins instead. You have to sell other birds you acquire to get relic ash from Mr. Kit. 

I'm no longer having fun with this so dropping the game for now, might come back to later once they get it sorted out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 0:57 PM, timquo said:

Same here. I get random stutters from time to time. Especially when interacting with the campfire.

Also should be mentioned that it takes around 4.5 minutes to get to the island from the PS4 menu. Laughable, considering that plat will take at very least 90 short daily sessions. (Which is especially funny compared to open-world Days Gone loading in 2.5 mins)

After 30 gameplay days it takes over 7 minutes to load on PS4.

The stuttering has actually gotten worse the further into the game I've gotten. Where it used to freeze slightly for a second or so every now and then now it's happening frequently every time I play (usually around 20-30 mins at a time) and now for 3-4 seconds each time.

(PS5) I find that it runs much smoother since the last update.. however, it does freeze/stutter for 1-2 seconds whenever it autosaves.

Also, the issue I had with not being able to select animals is still there.. or maybe has gotten worse. Sometimes I can't even select the main campfire. The only way to fix it (that I've found) is to quit back to main menu and load in again... which is annoying when the load time is so long.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:20 PM, peffsi said:

(PS5) I find that it runs much smoother since the last update.. however, it does freeze/stutter for 1-2 seconds whenever it autosaves.

Also, the issue I had with not being able to select animals is still there.. or maybe has gotten worse. Sometimes I can't even select the main campfire. The only way to fix it (that I've found) is to quit back to main menu and load in again... which is annoying when the load time is so long.

Yeah I'm having all of these issues as well. 

Sometimes if I travel somewhere else on the island for a bit and come back I can access Flamey but the animals that get bugged seem to stay that way for the day (or a restart sometimes helps).

If you didn't feel like restarting, you can throw the food at the animals and they can at least eat and you can harvest the next day. 

The campfire one is more of the pain as you always need to upload or burn something and it becomes inaccessible. If the load times weren't so long it may not be as annoying. 

Thankfully the devs are active on Reddit and discord and I'm sure working on fixing it soon. 

Still enjoy popping on and doing dailies but I've been spending a bit less time running around to collect things. Also wish I could buy a little imp to harvest all my fruit and flowers for me. Between selecting the wrong tree/bush or selecting a deer or a bird, harvesting everything is a pain with the controller. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

reigniting this thread to say im playing this on the ps5 and the game has now frozen twice when ive tried to pick up a shell and learn a recipie, and ive had to restart the whole game both times

its weird cause the first few days i played it was completely fine but now after not playing for 2 days its starting to act up :[

• 4 months later...
14 minutes ago, GT__Jedi said:

Saw this game on sale today for $8.99 US and wondered if the performance is still pretty good on the PS5?  I have My Time At Portia in my library and am debating possibly starting that one instead.  Any thoughts from current/past players?

Cozy grove is good but it's not your average game you can't really just sit down and play through you basically do dailies and that's it you log in do your rounds do what quests you can for the day some will take several days then log out and play another game so honestly you could play Portia and this game and have no issues cozy grove will take around a year or more to complete I don't suggest time skipping it will bug the game pretty bad

Edited by Taliesin_2943

• 4 months later...
On 2/10/2023 at 6:42 AM, GT__Jedi said:

Saw this game on sale today for $8.99 US and wondered if the performance is still pretty good on the PS5?  I have My Time At Portia in my library and am debating possibly starting that one instead.  Any thoughts from current/past players?

Late, but it's good at first but the game increasingly starts to crash as you get further into the game. I regularly have to restart the game because it crashes on the loading screen or right after loading in. This last crash was particularly bad and required me to force shut down my PS5.

• 3 months later...