The Last Of Us Remake PS5

Seems kinda unsubstantiated at this point, but I'll just say I'm fine with a remake.  I'd buy it, and play it, and enjoy it.  Probably moreso than most other "necessary" projects.

The more interesting thing in that article is the supposed strife at Sony as they push for blockbusters.  They've had a Herculean stretch of one hit after another starting around mid-way through the PS3's life and basically through all of the PS4.  It's one thing to make great games that happen to be blockbusters, it's another thing to only try to make blockbusters... and I don't want to see how the Playstation landscape looks if that's true, the other shoe eventually drops, and the PS5 gets a few too many Xbox-tier exclusives from trying too hard.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

I think this makes sense as a midlife PS5 title, 2 or 3 years from now. It's a critically acclaimed game but it has somewhat outdated PS3 graphics.

They can keep the audio and mocap performances and just update the dated visuals. It will sell like hotcakes.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

No. It says they initially considered remaking the first Uncharted, but a TLoU remake was ultimately considered to be a safer investment.

Sony Bend was working on another Uncharted game besides the proposed remake of Drake's Fortune, but they were taken off the project after staff members quit.

Instead, one team at the studio was assigned to help Naughty Dog with a multiplayer game while a second group was assigned to work on a new Uncharted game with supervision from Naughty Dog. Some staff, including top leads, were unhappy with this arrangement and left. Bend's developers feared they might be absorbed into Naughty Dog, and the studio’s leadership asked to be taken off the Uncharted project. They got their wish last month and are now working on a new game of their own.

This is separate to the remake, which never got off the ground. Presumably, the Uncharted project is now in completely in the hands of Naughty Dog.

Remakes are considered a safe bet since it’s cheaper to update and polish an old game than it is to start from scratch, and they can be sold both to nostalgic old fans and curious new ones. The team originally planned on a remake of the first Uncharted game, released by Naughty Dog in 2007. That idea quickly fizzled because it would be expensive and require too much added design work. Instead, the team settled on a remake of Naughty Dog’s 2013 melancholic zombie hit, The Last of Us.

The Uncharted project is currently been worked on, as per the first quote.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

They also aren't the company trying to axe off Studio Japan, and I don't particularly want to keep supporting the one that is honestly.

Do you think Microsoft would keep a studio open if they were spending time and money on games that never finished development, and released games that weren't commercial hits?

Studio Japan is one of Sony's best studios and it is a mistake for it to be axed, but don't kid yourself, Microsoft would have done the same thing if they were in Sony's position.

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Do you think Microsoft would keep a studio open if they were spending time and money on games that never got released, and released games that weren't commercial hits?

Studio Japan is one of Sony's best studios and it is a mistake for it to be axed, but don't kid yourself, Microsoft would have done the same thing if they were in Sony's position.

In fairness, when was the last Xbox commercial hit? xD  Seems like every studio but the folks keeping the Game Pass list maintained should probably be canned at this point.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

I know it's useless to say it here but hell with it I'm going to anyway- chill tf out, guys.

If this is even real at all- which I sort of doubt- it will be a mid-late lifecycle title or even a PS6 launch. ND are working on a new IP and TLoU2 Factions and PS5 patch/version are coming. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

Being straight up, I'm no Xbox fanboy, but a lot of recent moves by Sony have kinda pissed me off tbh.

Speaking of commercial successes, why is it that Sony has so many of them yet seems to refuse to acknowledge any of them outside of ND games. LBP has been dead in the water since 2014, Days Gone is apparently not getting a sequel. But clearly, a TLOU remake is what we need; even on a console that can play TLOU:R no problem.

For what it's worth, I'd say LBP and Days Gone are probably a notch or two below the God of War's, TLOU's, Horizon's, Spider-Man's, Uncharted's, etc as far as commercial hits and bigger Sony properties go.  And LBP got an indirect sequel very recently in Sackboy.

I also wasn't aware of Days Gone sequel being cancelled, last I heard they wanted to do it... but I didn't really read the article under the article.

Edited by Dreakon13

5 minutes ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

Speaking of commercial successes, why is it that Sony has so many of them yet seems to refuse to acknowledge any of them outside of ND games. LBP has been dead in the water since 2014, Days Gone is apparently not getting a sequel. But clearly, a TLOU remake is what we need; even on a console that can play TLOU:R no problem.

The article goes into this.

Sony is focusing on big cinematic blockbuster type games. So Uncharted, The Last of Us, Ghosts of Tsushima, etc. I would agree with the people that think this is a mistake, and not only because of the people making the games burning out.

Days Gone will likely get a sequel eventually, it was just the first pitch that was rejected.