The Last Of Us Remake PS5

21 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I agree with this opinion. Sorry, not sorry.

For those that are upset by this move, please vote with your wallet and don't buy it. I for one, will be buying it because I want it, and it's one of my favourite games of all time. Do I think that the remake was NECESSARY? No. Do I welcome it? Absolutely.

That's all it boils down to. You either want it or you don't. But the sheer amount of anger that this remake has sparked is absurd.

Why did they make everyone shorter

11 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

I believe that Ellie had a different face model for the 2nd game than the 1st so they've used the newer one which brings about some differences- but I'm not 100% sure on that so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong abut that.

Voice and motion capture - Ashley Johnson, TLOU & TLOU II both

Aw9sgzL.jpg

In a May interview with IGN, creative director Neil Druckmann noted that the team "decided to modify Ellie's model to better reflect [actress] Ashley [Johnson]'s personality, and also resemble a slightly younger teen more fitting to the story," after a few months of development.

Just now, ziggypossum said:

Voice and motion capture - Ashley Johnson, TLOU & TLOU II both

Aw9sgzL.jpg

Yes I know this but Ellie looks nothing like Ashley, they used somebody else as a character model and matched Ashley's performance with them. 

On 6/9/2022 at 9:49 PM, Stan Lee said:

Yes I know this but Ellie looks nothing like Ashley, they used somebody else as a character model and matched Ashley's performance with them. 

At the time when TLOU was first being developed Naughty Dog had used Elliot Page's likeness for Ellie almost to a tee without their consent. That was also around the time "Beyond Two Souls" was dropping and they were rightfully pissed about it. So ND ended up making Ellie look a lot more like Ashley and said that it was all a "coincidence" lol. Might not be 100% accurate but I'm pretty sure it was something along those lines that happened. 

Edited by Stevieboy

To me this is way more a remaster of a remaster than a remake. Naughty Dog basically did what Rockstar did with GTAV here. Still, TLOU is a fantastic game and Part 1 will look gorgeous. Still won't buy it since this 100% will be part of ps+ premium within 2 years after it's release, so I'll play it when it's on there. Never understood the hate for the MP btw. Bit disappointing it's no more part of the game.

Edited by Solid-Fisch

On 6/9/2022 at 9:58 PM, Pray_4_the_End said:

At the time when TLOU was first being developed Naughty Dog had used Elliot Page's likeness for Ellie almost to a tee without their consent. That was also around the time "Beyond Two Souls" was dropping and they were rightfully pissed about it. So ND ended up making Ellie look a lot more like Ashley and said that it was all a "coincidence" lol. Might not be 100% accurate but I'm pretty sure it was something along those lines that happened.

I don't think it was ever confirmed that they used Page (honestly I don't really see the resemblance myself) but the fact that they altered her appearance could be indicative of that, I suppose

Edited by Stevieboy
clean up
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Someone made a comparison video.

Think this is a case of "it looked better in my memory", because I honestly didn't see a ton of difference in the new trailer until I saw this comparison video. Thanks for posting it, probably wouldn't have been something I'd bothered to look up myself otherwise.

My feelings on it remain the same nonetheless. I'll buy it eventually when it's cheaper, I'm in no rush to replay it any time soon.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Too right man. Discourse around what is supposed to be a fun hobby has seriously become exhausting and unenjoyable. I don't want an echo chamber where everyone agrees with me on everything but I swear I teach children who are far more mature than some of the folks commenting here. What are they even angry about? They don't even seem to know themselves. 

I don't want to derail the thread, but I couldn't agree more. The general gaming sphere has become, for me at least, almost unbearable for the past couple of years and it only seems to be getting worse by the day. This is my most passionate hobby, it's something I've adored since I was a little boy, and I find myself becoming more and more detached from it all. It's almost as if there is a competition going on to see who can give less of a fuck. And I find this type of attitude in virtually everything nowadays but it's taken to a totally new level in gaming. Between dealing with console warriors, gaming "journalists" stoking the flames every chance they get, and echo chambers of extreme hate, the gaming landscape has turned into a giant circle jerk. It's cool to hate absolutely everything now. It's like nobody can find anything positive or anything to care about anymore.

It's just exhausting. I've personally had to curate my own social media feeds far more carefully than I ever had to before. I've had to unfollow gaming topics because the stuff I get suggested is cancer. I can't click on any gaming news article or social media post without being bombarded with toxic and childish behavior. Gaming was never this bad in the past, and that's saying something because we've had some dark days. I thought the wider gaming community had matured and moved past a lot of these things, but clearly not because it's worse than ever before. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Why do people always deal in two extremes? You're either a commercial fanboy that will gobble down anything that is fed to you without complaint or ask questions/show even a modicum of doubt, or you're an extremist that squeals at the top of your lungs that the company is greedy for charging full price for a game you've already played. No middle ground. Extremist mentality is comical, petty, and kinda small brained.

I haven't played the last of us, and never intend to. I appreciate the sneeding over a six second clip, though.

Edited by shipper321
  • Like 1

While I find it funny that this is a remake of a game not even a decade old (that was already remastered), I admit that I am intrigued and know I will get this at some point.  I love TLOU and want to experience a native PS5 build of the game with the various improvements they are implementing.  However, I don’t know if I’m eager enough to get it at launch for $70.  That said, I’m a sucker for steelbooks and am resisting that from swaying me to drop $100 on the Firefly edition haha.

23 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

It's cool to hate absolutely everything now. It's like nobody can find anything positive or anything to care about anymore.

O tempora, o mores

That's why I never read reviews, twitter and so on

I just don't give a flying fuck what other people say

You wanna play the game you like - just play it

The world went mad a long time ago and I don't care anymore, I'm too old for this shit

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TalalHmd said:

This is one of the most ridiculous PR “stories” out there. they make it sound like this was made by *chance*. like a dev stumbled on a keyboard and remade TLoU lol

also how does a corporate team gets ‘distracted’, I’d say the only distraction was an order from the heads to remake TLoU instead of Uncharted because it would sell more 

where did you get "distracted" from? I said disbanded, and it's not a PR "story", lots of people left their jobs over it, that's how we found out about it

Edited by The Investigator

Definitely think that $70 for what appears to be a faithful remake - as opposed to a reimagining, like FFVII or the recent RE remakes - is way too much, otherwise it looks great.

Still need to finish the PS4 remaster myself first. lol I admittedly think it's a fun game, albeit - so far, at least - not nearly as great as it's been made out to be.

Will probably still end up getting this when it's dropped to a more reasonable price - around ~$40 -, and perhaps after I've played Part II and acquired a PS5 as well. lmao

Edited by Zephrese

"Looks fine" that about sums up my initial thoughts for this reveal.

A far as I could tell the "new" features shown off in the reveal felt like:

Better lighting, more "detailed environment" (basically more clutter everywhere: grass, bushes, rain puddles etc.) and new facial models for everyone. I assume the gameplay has been updated to Last of us part 2 on top of this so more or less dedicated jump button, prone, smarter ai and more in depth animations when upgrading weapons. 

For a "faithful remake" I suppose this isn't so bad considering there is only so much you can change for that title to remain true ... but um .. I don't know I guess my feelings on it are just sort of ehh?

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the original Last of Us and I've played through both the original game and remaster many times .. the thing is .. I can't keep rationalising buying the same damn game over and over again (Yes Todd Howard and R* this also concerns your games). 

Would it be nice to go for another round with more stunning visuals. Sure. Problem is "better visuals" would essentially be the only thing I'd be paying for. No new story (While the story is fantastic I could basically run you through it scene by scene at this point, heck probably recite a lot of the manuscript too), and let's face it basically the same gameplay. In my humble opinion "older" versions really don't look that bad even to this day and the ps4 version already runs at 60 fps (doubt this new version will run any higher than that) so while eye candy is great and all ... its just not worth the money for now. Won't say I'll never pick this up but in all honesty it would probably have to be like 60-70%+ discounted for me to even consider it at this point

All in all it doesn't look bad (except the box art that looks pretty awful) just feels like Naughty Dog had other games that were more deserving of remakes (Jak and Daxter games, Uncharted 1 etc.)

Edited by Rune2303
  • Like 2

People will eat this up.

While I don’t have an issue with people enjoying it, I do however have an issue with truckloads of people spending $70+ on a remake of a 2013 game that had already been Remastered and had no major issues. Including early game unlocks and whatnot for pre-ordering, really? 

the story is the same, the dialogue is the same, the environments are the same, it’s a $70 visual overhaul.

This isn’t a 2-3+ decade old game that wasn’t playable natively on PS4/5. It is.

Whatever, I’ll keep buying games and hope that Sony doesn’t continue selling games for $70+ 

• Like 2

The Good

-They don't seem to be changing the story or characters.

-The gameplay tweaks seem very modest, and mostly QOL/accessibility. 

-Coming to PC.

The Bad

-$70?! You're gonna release a PS5 remaster of a PS4 remaster of a PS3 game and charge that price?! This game should be $50-$60 tops. $40 would probably make the most sense. 

By time I want to replay TLOU, this game will probably not be full price anymore. I don't even have a PS5 yet, and probably won't until 2023.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChiefMichigan said:

The Good

-They don't seem to be changing the story or characters.

-The gameplay tweaks seem very modest, and mostly QOL/accessibility. 

-Coming to PC.

The Bad

-$70?! You're gonna release a PS5 remaster of a PS4 remaster of a PS3 game and charge that price?! This game should be $50-$60 tops. $40 would probably make the most sense. 

By time I want to replay TLOU, this game will probably not be full price anymore. I don't even have a PS5 yet, and probably won't until 2023.

I didn't think about that. I do think they're going to change one character, for sure. Remember how at the end of The Last of Us (the original), the doctor that [redacted due to spoilers, I think anybody that has played the original game knows who I am talking about] was dark skinned? Then, Naughty Dog changed him to a Caucasian man and made him the father of a certain popular (read: hated) character in the sequel? I could absolutely see ND changing that character to his updated TLOUPII model. The funny thing? People will still bitch. Just like they bitched when the character was changed in TLOUPII. Consistency be damned. People need to complain about anything.