The Last Of Us Remake PS5

It's been two console generations. TLoU may have been a gorgeous game for its time, but, again, it's been two generations. Same gap as Demon's Souls, although admittedly the original was much uglier in that case.

10 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
Removing off topic banter
  • Like 3

The Last of Us is one of my favourite games of all time. I've probably played it through close to 20 times.

This remake looks gorgeous and I'm sure the gameplay enhancements brought over from Part 2 will be incredible but I'm sorry I cannot accept paying £70 for this.

It looks good don't get me wrong but I was watching a trailer for a game I already have on my shelf and can play right now if I wanted to, for free.

Not to diminish the work that went into this by any means, I'm sure a lot of developers worked round the clock to get this done.

I'm not going to argue if it should or shouldn't be £70, I have no authority to decide either way. As an individual though, I just can't justify dropping £70 for a game I already own.

• Like 4

I'm looking forward to playing Part I again. I played it on release and was an amazing experience but only played it once. I thought about playing it again just before Part II came out but never did.

Do I find a remake kinda pointless, yes. Do I mind? No. Now Part I and II line up nicely and will thoroughly enjoy.

I rather play a remake than another remastered PS5 version.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WhisperingDusk said:

Do I find a remake kinda pointless, yes. Do I mind? No. Now Part I and II line up nicely and will thoroughly enjoy.

I rather play a remake than another remastered PS5 version.

This is pretty much my view on it.. 

Necessary?

Nah. 

Welcome?

Sure!

It's nice to have a shiny, up-to-date version of the original game to marry up with the second one - for me, that second one is the superior game in terms of narrative, scope, gameplay, emotional journey etc... so the real purpose of the first one now, is just to set the groundwork for what would come. 

I like the idea of having a really spruced up, lovingly remade version to play before playing that second one again in the future.

Will I rush out and buy day one?....

....eh... :dunno: without the MP, probably not....

...but I can certainly see myself picking it up at some point, and that being the go-to version from that point onwards. 

With a game like this one that I return to every now and again, that's a nice thing for me.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

I wonder if they'll change some stuff during the final part at the hospital, in order to make it more consistent with Part 2's narrative?

Make the hospital nice and clean and take away some of the ambiguity surrounding the fireflies and their ability to create the vaccine successfully?

Obviously retconning is bad, but it might help alleviate some issues that people have with Part 2. Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonesey46 said:

I wonder if they'll change some stuff during the final part at the hospital, in order to make it more consistent with Part 2's narrative?

Make the hospital nice and clean and take away some of the ambiguity surrounding the fireflies and their ability to create the vaccine successfully?

Obviously retconning is bad, but it might help alleviate some issues that people have with Part 2. Thoughts?

I suspect that at least changing the character model for the doc is a virtual certainty...

cleaning up the hospital, maybe...

adding notes or visual tie-ins to bridge the games... possible?...

....new dialogue or scenes... highly unlikely IMO.

Whether they are going to twist themselves in knots trying to address every little thing the internet had a prolapse about at the time...I doubt it...

...I suspect they know at this point that, whatever approach they take, there's only one certainty...

..a minimum of 50% of the internet will be OUTRAGED! ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I suspect that at least changing the character model for the doc is a virtual certainty...

cleaning up the hospital, maybe...

adding notes or visual tie-ins to bridge the games... possible?...

....new dialogue or scenes... highly unlikely IMO.

Whether they are going to twist themselves in knots trying to address every little thing the internet had a prolapse about at the time...I doubt it...

...I suspect they know at this point that, whatever approach they take, there's only one certainty...

..a minimum of 50% of the internet will be OUTRAGED! 1f602.png

It's interesting. I feel its a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' kind of deal.

I think leaving it as is is the best option. But who knows? With Neil in full control he might want to steer it more towards his vision and we know Part 2 is his baby.

I'm almost certain there will be no new dialogue as they made it pretty clear they reused all the old recordings and didn't seem to suggest any new performances.

Changing the character model of the surgeon and cleaning the hospital up a little almost seems like a no brainer. New collectibles, maybe? Like one or two notes/recordings. Maybe one alluding to Abby?

Like I said, it is super interesting and I look forward to seeing how they handle it. No doubt there will be outrage, but that's a given when it comes to this franchise now... sigh.

• Like 1

This is a crazy price, for a sort of Remaster, and without the Online.

There are some new things though, explosive arrows now that we know off and they have said it's all more modernised and has enhanced Exploration and Combat. I'm guessing perhaps a few new weapons and abilities as well, bit sure what the enhanced Exploration would consist of though

I'm intrigued to get it, having just spent a lot of time on the PS4 version a few months back, a more modernised version would be nice and with the new enhancements.

Is the Remaster neccessary, I don't know, I wouldn't mind playing it though, but I'm only likely going to buy this physical if I do, so that I can sell it on afterwards and get 80% of my money back.

That price man though......Now just hoping it has a physical edition, best go check. Could be an interesting trophy list

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Changing the character model of the surgeon and cleaning the hospital up a little almost seems like a no brainer. New collectibles, maybe? Like one or two notes/recordings. Maybe one alluding to Abby?

It's possible - I want to say I think they did something of that ilk in the RE2 remake, adding some notes that referenced RE3 stuff, and that didn't twist the internet's tit too much...

...but TLoU is a different beast entirely, when it comes to keyboard outrage, so who knows!

• Like 1

When I first heard about this remake I had to laugh. It's just a prime example of how creatively bankrupt the self-proclaimed "triple A" developers are. As for the trailer, well, it's just cosmetics. Not even remotely convincing. Still no reason to buy a PS5. Will there ever be one? Maybe in 2025.

I feel like the graphics could've looked better for a PS5 remake done by a AAA premier studio for one of their biggest games, and in places the color and artstyle kinda looks better on the ps4 version, also it's a slap in the face to ask more money for less content while other platforms will get it for cheaper, seems to be the norm with Sony these days, but people seem to not care so I'll keep it moving

This is arguably one of the best games ever made. I don't get why so many people are whining at a remake. Sure it needs it less than others but where is the clear cut-off of what game gets remade and what doesn't?   Looks like a clear difference, IMO, but if you don't want to get it because you personally don't see a big enough justification to spent £70, just don't get it. Totally fine. Doesn't make the notion of a remake ridiculous. Retitling it Part I, looks like they are clearly aiming to have Part I and Part II available, together, with similar technically proficient experiences for new players. Wouldn't shock me if Part II got upgraded to PS5 soon, and replaying a bit of it via BC on PS5, it looks pretty ridiculous even as a PS4 game not native to PS5 on PS5 hardware. 

Additionally, developing this seemingly comes at no cost to the future of TLOU because there is a clear intention for a MP standalone game quite soon, as big as the single player experiences. No shock there is no MP, either, this is industry standard for most remakes or remasters of old-gen games (Far Cry, Crysis, Uncharted, etc.) and there is a new MP game coming in the next 12-18 months. 

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, AIDA_Tri-Edge said:

Will be interesting to see if they recycle the same trophy list or if they create new trophies. 

I’m praying new list as that would be the cherry on top for me. First game I’m really going to stream. Too excited. I also won’t more trophies than the OG one too. 

So I can and have gotten this for my ps5 and I can replay it ad nauseam, and the MP too.  There's barely any added value.  Oh yeah, no MP.  That's why I should buy it (and then buy mp separately).  Apart from people who just throw money around and those desperate to give developers their money, it only makes sense to buy the original. 

Edited by dmsleight

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Damned straight. 

Deathloop too.

Unfortunately I never really vibed with Deathloop. Arkane are my favourite developer and Deathloop just seemed like a huge step back for their games if I'm honest, especially since they already made a better version of it a few years before with Prey Mooncrash.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Unfortunately I never really vibed with Deathloop. Arkane are my favourite developer and Deathloop just seemed like a huge step back for their games if I'm honest, especially since they already made a better version of it a few years before with Prey Mooncrash.

That’s a shame - to be honest, Deathloop is probably my least favourite recent Arkane game too…

…but “my least favourite Arkane game” is still a bar a lot of my “favourite games from other developers” fail to reach ?

I definitely still enjoyed it immensely though!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That’s a shame - to be honest, Deathloop is probably my least favourite recent Arkane game too…

…but “my least favourite Arkane game” is still a bar a lot of my “favourite games from other developers” fail to reach 1f602.png

I definitely still enjoyed it immensely though!

Yeah it was still enjoyable, I liked the style, the voice acting, music and all that. I was just so disappointed by the way they handled the timeloop. No day night cycle, having to go through so many menus between each mission and the fact that there was no mystery to solve, the game just told me what to do. Granted, I could have turned off waypoints but why should I?

I just expected more from Arkane, who are pretty much the king of the modern immersive sim, to you know... release an immersive sim haha.

• Like 1