The Last Of Us Remake PS5

I don't care if a game is a remake, a remaster, or a brand new experience. If it's a big AAA experience I automatically assume that it's going to cost €70, that's just the way it is. Now you can argue for or against the €70 price point of new games all you want, but personally I do not care one bit. Games have essentially stayed the same price since their inception, despite the cost to produce them roughly doubling every single generation. Now you could also make the argument that games bring in more money than ever before, so developers were able to afford to keep games the same price during that time and you'd also have a point. There are lots of arguments you could make one way or the other, but ultimately it all comes down to the individual because value is so subjective. 

The good thing is that if you find a €10 increase too much, or if you feel that a remaster should only cost 30, 40, or 50, you have the option to wait for a sale, something games seem to go on faster than ever these days. If you own a console that takes discs you can pick up a second-hand copy, or even borrow from a friend. There are plenty of options. I really don't think anyone is being excluded or priced out of their hobby. If it's simply a matter of principal and you just want to protest then by all means do so. Vote with your wallet and do not buy new games.

Obviously I have budgetary limits as I'm sure everyone here does, but the price of games isn't something I focus too heavily on. I'm at the stage in life now where I don't mind dropping money for quality gaming experiences. God knows I've wasted enough money in my time for shit ones. I wouldn't mind paying €70 for a one-and-done 10 hour experience as long as I had a good time. I only care that a game is good, and if it is then I've got my money's worth. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alayaes said:

Whether or not the "remake" was justified or not is entirely subjective. It is what it is. I was pretty stoked about this when I first saw it announced because TLOU is one of my all time favorites, but then the price tag appeared and I hit the brakes. I was legitimately anticipating this to be a PS+ Extra/Premium game like Stray.

However, charging $70 for what is essentially a Remaster is downright baffling to me. I have an issue with their pricing, the standard they will set for the industry going forward, and their silly justifications for said price tag. Again, this is no Remake. It's how a Remaster should be to begin with (as opposed to re-publishing on newer generation with slightly upscaled textures). Resident Evil 2 was a true remake, and they charged $60; justifiably so. This is more akin to Shadow of the Colossus from BluePoint, which was never full price. $70 today is a AAA release price. This game did not take NEARLY the same amount of effort and marketing as a new AAA release like TLOU2 was, or Uncharted 4.

Saying that this is just a silly argument is being obtuse. There's a reason why even gaming journalists, the biggest idiots of them all, are writing articles putting the price tag in question. It's a matter of principle, not whether or not TLOU was good enough to warrant it. It can be the greatest game ever made, and for me it definitely ranks in the top 10, but that is irrelevant. Establishing price points should be immune to that. Imagine Rock Star charging $100 for GTA 6 because "we're sure it's a good game so we think it warrants a higher price tag than other games that aren't as good". That's just silly.

It starts with Nintendo pricing everything to high heaven (though arguably they are the best developer ever to walk the Earth). Skyward Sword on the Switch came roaring in at a full $60 and they got away with it. It sets a terrible foundation for game pricing that nobody benefits from. Why go through a ton of effort if you can just polish up an older, existing game and charge the same price?

That's all well and good... but considering how quickly games devalue, you can virtually pay what you want for them these days (if you're willing to wait a little bit).

So I get the logical argument, a game with changes shouldn't cost as much as a totally new game... okay.  Fair enough.  But I don't understand the passion/outrage.  Especially since these are likely the same people who would be caught dead buying a game on release day anyways.

Edited by Dreakon13

42 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

If it's simply a matter of principal and you just want to protest then by all means do so. Vote with your wallet and do not buy new games.

The problem is that "voting with your wallet" won't get people their way fast enough, or at all if other people voting with their wallet actually buy the thing they disagree with.  So in comes the rampant abuse of social media, where if you scream loud enough, often enough... someone will eventually give in.  And all it cost was your worthless time.

Edited by Dreakon13

Aside from the egregious prices for both the standard edition ($69.99) and firefly edition ($99.99), The Last Of Us is probably one of the least deserving games of a "remake" (arguably, a remaster) in comparison to other ones which haven't retained their quality as well. In reference to the prices, The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil In Me's animatronic collector's edition, for example, provides more value, in my opinion, for a reduced cost ($89.99) which includes an exclusive postcard and envelope, pre-order bonus granting you early access to the curator's cut, exclusive business card, collector's box, full game, animatronic bust (11 centimeters), and exclusive hotel map. The firefly edition for The Last Of Us, Part I includes a limited edition steelbook display case, the four The Last Of Us: American Dreams comics, and early unlock of in-game items (which is probably the least valuable inclusion within the package), which isn't even mentioning the fact that it will now have been released for the third time. The "remake" and price are just unnecessary.

Speedrun and permadeath sounds cool. I want to see the trophy list maintain the original difficulty trophies, hell, even throw grounded into the base game list. I also want to see a speedrun and permadeath trophy mixed into the main game list too just to see everyone on this site complain that they can't get the plat in 4 hours, it would be glorious.

• Like 3

When they mentioned gameplay improvements and people started saying the remake will have dodge, crawling, and other moves from Part 2, I was like "Yeah, I don't know about that one". The first game wasn't built with them in mind, and the level design in remake didn't change at all. The official gameplay video confirms it. 

Also, I can't ignore the beginning where Druckmann says that they got the idea to remake TLOU after finishing Part II. As if Part I wasn't under development by another team at the time already. VASG isn't mentioned at all. To people who haven't read Schreier's report, this is kind of misleading.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slava said:

When they mentioned gameplay improvements and people started saying the remake will have dodge, crawling, and other moves from Part 2, I was like "Yeah, I don't know about that one". The first game wasn't built with them in mind, and the level design in remake didn't change at all. The official gameplay video confirms it. 

I guess the idea is that if it's a remake, then they'd remake it with those moves in mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

The problem is that "voting with your wallet" won't get people their way fast enough, or at all if other people voting with their wallet actually buy the thing they disagree with.  So in comes the rampant abuse of social media, where if you scream loud enough, often enough... someone will eventually give in.  And all it cost was your worthless time.

Yeah I get that. Sometimes voicing your disappointment loudly enough can force change and we've seen that in action a few times this console generation already. Other times it does nothing. I think the argument around pricing is ultimately one that can't be won. Games cost what they cost and if anyone disagrees with the pricing then there are other options available to those people which I already outlined. If they don't want to make use of those options and just want to abstain altogether in protest then good on them I guess, but it'll be for nothing.

The entire argument around pricing is silly because it isn't a one size fits all situation. Value is extremely subjective. It's extra silly because the only people who will be buying this game to begin with are people who want to, and don't mind the entry price. Everyone else can either wait for a sale or just not buy the game at all. Hell, play the PS3 original or PS4 remaster. Again, options... 

41 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I guess the idea is that if it's a remake, then they'd remake it with those moves in mind.

Yeah, I guess. The first trailer showed some locations, and they looked identical to original ones. Comparison videos pointed that out too. To me, this meant they hadn't changed the level geometry at all. Maybe I did jump to the conclusion too early, but nevertheless, that is exactly what happened in the end.

4 hours ago, trojbrown40 said:

Just wait until Black Friday or until the price comes way down. I would be comfortable paying $10-20.  Maybe wait a year (or 2) if need be. This is my favorite game of all time but that was due to single player and Factions. 

It will come into PS+ Premium, give it a year and it will appear there. Any bet.

34 minutes ago, R4M Razr said:

80 euros for a nearly decade old game? In a time when inflation drives the cost of living higher and higher on an almost weekly basis? They clearly have lost their minds and contact with reality.

I will pay 90 for the deluxe edition ;).

Edited by Mr_Bandicoot93

The price for the digital standard edition where I live is 85 $\€ (849sek). I simply refuse to pay that for a game I’ve already bought twice. Will most definitely pick this up as soon as I can find a copy for 50 or under. This game changed how I view the games medium as a whole. It has the best story telling I’ve ever encountered and the best DLC. But I’m not paying full price for a game where I’ll get nothing new and I know exactly what will happen every step of the way. Played the originals 20+ times in total and I am excited to do so again, at 50 or below. 

15 hours ago, Slava said:

...people started saying the remake will have dodge, crawling, and other moves from Part 2, I was like "Yeah, I don't know about that one". The first game wasn't built with them in mind...

14 hours ago, Slava said:

Comparison videos pointed that out too. To me, this meant they hadn't changed the level geometry at all. Maybe I did jump to the conclusion too early, but nevertheless, that is exactly78lnkn. what happened in the end.

Nah, you were not the one making unreasonable assumptions.

Anyone with two working brain cells expected a few gameplay tweaks, but not that the game was completely redesigned to incorporate things like dodge and crawl.

I find it funny that some people are simultaneously saying the game didn't need a remake, but than expected a completely different game.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Solid-Fisch said:

It's a cashgrab. And as you see by the feedback from the community... it works. 

"cash grab (plural cash grabs) (derogatory) A product designed primarily or solely with the intent of generating profits or money.

So basically every product ever. Okay. Never really understood that jibe myself.  

Sigh. Again, the only people buying this are people who want to. Sony makes money and people get what they want, so who exactly is losing out here? I swear the people who oppose this remake/remaster the most are people who weren't going to buy it anyway, like why does it bother them so much lmao?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

“Pointless”? I think it’s pretty clearly it has the point of being highly supported as evident by all the posts here. Even the ones complaining about the price are still saying they want it, they just want it for cheaper. And that’s not including all the future sales to people who will have a PS5 for their first and only console in the future that will likely pick this up. 

Just because someone can justify not wanting or buying something doesn’t make it pointless, it just makes them not the intended audience. 

Preach on, preacher man. I'm glad it's coming out. More of a reason to get the plat and enjoy such a great story again. 

• Like 2