The Last Of Us Remake PS5

5 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

I really don't see how that justifies cannibalizing their other studios, cancelling their projects to get their teams assimilated into ND projects, like they're the Borg.

I think you're misreading what I said as a defense of Sony. I just meant to say that ND has been a very good cash cow for Sony for a while now.

6 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

Nobody's unbeatable and too big to fall. That's what Microsoft thought they were when deciding to make the shitshow that was the xbone. Look at them just one generation later, having made a complete course correction and turned the game pass into the huge value that PS+ used to be. I'd rather return to PC than start over with a new console ecosystem, but I hope Sony eats their dust this generation and gets a wake-up call.

That was my point, yes. I said that Sony felt unbeatable, not that they were. Regardless, a lot of your points feel like grasping at straws; Sony shuttered a platform whose generation had ended 8 years ago. Sony stopped selling games for said platform. The internal clock thing was overblown and as far as I can tell, would only 'brick' your console if the online servers went down as well. Five years is a relatively reasonable timeframe to shut down the servers of a game that doesn't do that well.

The treatment of PS+ was disappointing, but it's hardly a move of gross overconfidence on their part when Microsoft paved the way for them doing so, and the subscription costs paid for the consoles they sell at a loss. Also, I think people forget that those 6 PS+ games we got monthly were quite often straight garbage - the consolidated service actually gives out decent games, e.g. Bloodborne, as opposed to literally who indie games that were rarely even good.

32 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

really hope that developers start unionizing as well, both as someone who wants to possibly become part of the industry, but also because it hurts to see people treated like this.

And yeah, that's a great point, as ND has been on a roll for quite some time now.

(Although I suppose that they've kind of always been on a roll, in a sense, considering how highly regarded games like Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter are?) 

I suppose it just seems like TLOU II specifically has led to a lot of these things happening as of late, but I could easily be mistaken of course.

But I do completely agree that Sony's become complacent this generation, primarily due to how well the last one did.
I don't necessarily like Microsoft much right now either, but I do think that Sony needs a serious wakeup call, and Microsoft has thankfully been giving them a bit of one lately.

(i.e Pushing them to allow for cross-platform play between multiplayer multi-platform games, something Sony should've had ages ago)

Ah, I hope you can break into the industry successfully; I hear it's a tough one. One game developer I've been following (Pixel Pushers Union 512, be warned, they're very political) is a worker's co-op which is a model I'd love to see more follow.

Sony seems to have a tendency to not be particularly consumer friendly; still no refunds, the... troublesome store, and so on and so forth. Like you said, it was really Microsoft that got Sony into gear with cross platform play. Great studios under their wings, but... yeah.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I think you're misreading what I said as a defense of Sony. I just meant to say that ND has been a very good cash cow for Sony for a while now.

That was my point, yes. I said that Sony felt unbeatable, not that they were. Regardless, a lot of your points feel like grasping at straws; Sony shuttered a platform whose generation had ended 8 years ago. Sony stopped selling games for said platform. The internal clock thing was overblown and as far as I can tell, would only 'brick' your console if the online servers went down as well. Five years is a relatively reasonable timeframe to shut down the servers of a game that doesn't do that well.

I was aware, I was mostly adding to your post, not beating you down for it. I suppose confrontation is just always the first assumption nowadays. This post however, strongly disagree.

They shut down their legacy platforms and provided no alternatives, at a time when backwards compatibility and game preservation is a hot topic, obliterating trust that they even wish to work on it when their primary competitor is making strides towards that goal. Also the internal clock is hardly overblown. You're not realizing that at that point your console just became an online only console, the thing the xbone was rightfully crucified for.

25 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

The treatment of PS+ was disappointing, but it's hardly a move of gross overconfidence on their part when Microsoft paved the way for them doing so, and the subscription costs paid for the consoles they sell at a loss. Also, I think people forget that those 6 PS+ games we got monthly were quite often straight garbage - the consolidated service actually gives out decent games, e.g. Bloodborne, as opposed to literally who indie games that were rarely even good.

Then you've either only experienced recent offerings or are misremembering. When I first signed up back in 2012-2013, IGC (it used to be called Instant Game Collection) reliably had something to be excited about each month, as in at least a couple AAA or sought after games that were relatively recent (this is the important part), before everyone and their mother had already played them. Even Bloodborne was offered 3 years after release. Now with the PS5 they're making steps in the right direction again, offering Soulstorm on release, but it didn't use to be either or.

29 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

I was aware, I was mostly adding to your post, not beating you down for it. I suppose confrontation is just always the first assumption nowadays. This post however, strongly disagree.

Ah, very fair. My bad, then - I misread it as implying I was trying to justify it.

They shut down their legacy platforms and provided no alternatives, at a time when backwards compatibility and game preservation is a hot topic, obliterating trust that they even wish to work on it when their primary competitor is making strides towards that goal. Also the internal clock is hardly overblown. You're not realizing that at that point your console just became an online only console, the thing the xbone was rightfully crucified for.

That is true, I do wish they'd expand PS Now or something of the such to make it a viable alternative to owning a PS3. They have the excuse of the PS3 having notoriously difficult architecture, at least. I suppose the internal clock thing could be an issue in a decade or two, but seeing as how it's been 15 years since the PS3 launched, and its servers are still functional, it stands to reason that the PS4 will get a similar treatment.

Then you've either only experienced recent offerings or are misremembering. When I first signed up back in 2012-2013, IGC (it used to be called Instant Game Collection) reliably had something to be excited about each month, as in at least a couple AAA or sought after games that were relatively recent (this is the important part), before everyone and their mother had already played them. Even Bloodborne was offered 3 years after release. Now with the PS5 they're making steps in the right direction again, offering Soulstorm on release, but it didn't use to be either or.

I started playing in 2016 - that year was... not great. For instance, January gave us Grim Fandango remastered and Hardware: Rivals - an indie game and a massive flop. February, Helldivers; a decent enough indie game, then Pixeljunk Nom Nom Galaxy and Nova-111. No idea what those last two are but they most certainly aren't AAA games. Broforce was a fun few hours of co-op, and Galak-Z was decent in March, but again, nowhere near AAA. The year picks up a bit with Lords of the Fallen, NBA 2K16 (I guess?), and Tropico 3, but for the most part it's all PS4 indies and some PS3 / Vita games.

In comparison, 2021 gave us Greedfall and Shadow of the Tomb Raider (as well as Maneater on PS5), February Concrete Genie and Control, March the FF7 remake and Remnant: From the Ashes. At the very least, I think we can agree that there's been a massive spike in game budget (and I would argue game quality as well) - the indie-est of the games, Concrete Genie, is nowhere near something like Galak-Z in terms of scope. 2019 I will admit was less promising, but generally went for an indie game and a higher budget title every month, and stood out with games like Titanfall 2, Sniper Elite 4, Nioh, and the first season of Hitman.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Is Sony making business decisions with a magic eight ball?

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, the fact that SONY is remaking The Last of Us for the Playstation 5 does not bother me. While I never did beat the original TLoU back on the PS3 (or the PS4 remaster of it), I found it to be a decent game that was enjoyable for the most part (just hated the parts with the Clickers, since they freaked me out playing the game in a dimly-lit room). However, I just never got hooked on the game enough to invest the time necessary to beat it (hence why I never made it more than 8-ish hours into the game on the three different playthroughs I attempted on the PS3 and PS4 version of the game).

The only part that is disappointing (and what a lot of people are up in arms about) is that SONY has seemed to have developed a bad case of "Blockbusteritis", where they seem to think AAA first party/console exclusive games (Uncharted, TLoU, God of War, etc) is the way of the future and they will do whatever it takes to see studios under their banner adhere to their current way of thinking, even if it means pulling the plug/turning down other projects from smaller studios in order to ensure that work is being done on a "blockbuster AAA game".

• Bend Studio trying to get a sequel started for Days Gone, but SONY said no after the lengthy development and mixed reception to the first game (even though the game was profitable). Then SONY made a team from Bend work with Naughty Dog on a "multiplayer game" and other group of members from Bend were made to work on a "new Uncharted game" under the supervision of Naughty Dog instead of working on reworking/re-pitching the Days Gone sequel to SONY (or working on something new).
  • The Visual Arts Service Group (who wanted to do a remake of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune before that idea was dashed) working on the PS5 remake for The Last of Us, before SONY stepped in and moved the remake away from the control of VASG to under the Naughty Dog umbrella once work with The Last of Us: Part Two finished. That devolved into a mess (see below):

That’s just what Sony did. Mumbauer’s project, code-named T1X, was approved on a probationary basis, but Sony kept the team’s existence a secret, and refused to give them a budget to hire more people, leading many to wonder if the company was really committed to letting the team build a new studio. Still, the small team kept working and by the spring of 2019 they had completed a section of the game designed to showcase how the rest would look and feel.

At that time, Sony was going through a management shuffle and the new boss wasn’t impressed. Hermen Hulst, the former head of Guerrilla Games, was named head of PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios in November 2019. He thought the remake project was too expensive, according to people familiar with the matter, and asked why the planned budget for T1X was so much higher than remakes Sony had made in the past. The reason was that this one was on a brand new graphical engine for the PlayStation 5. Mumbauer needed to hire more people to help rework the graphics on new technology as well as redesign gameplay mechanics. Hulst wasn’t convinced, the people said.

Just when it hoped to enter production on the remake of The Last of Us, Mumbauer’s team got called in to help when another big game fell behind. Release of The Last of Us: Part II had been pushed to 2020 from 2019 and Naughty Dog needed the Visual Arts Service Group to polish it off. Most of Mumbauer’s team, along with some of the 200 or so other staff at the Visual Arts Service Group, was assigned to support Naughty Dog, slowing down progress on its own game.

Then, the roles got reversed. Sony sent word that after the completion of The Last of Us Part II, some people from Naughty Dog would help out with T1X. Mumbauer’s team saw this as their short-lived autonomy being stripped. Dozens of Naughty Dog staff were joining the project, and some had actually worked on the original The Last of Us, giving them more weight in discussions about T1X’s direction. The game was moved under Naughty Dog’s budget, which Sony gave more leeway than the Visual Arts Service Group. Soon it was apparent that Naughty Dog was in charge, and the dynamics returned to what they had been for the last decade and a half: The Visual Arts Support Group aiding another team of developers rather than leading.

• SONY slowly killing off Japan Studio (best known for their work on Knack, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Patapon, LocoRoco, etc) over the past year or so.

The things I listed above is the primary reason so many people (myself included) are unhappy with SONY over this whole ordeal. Turning down games from studios (in this case, from Bend Studio) and making some of the studios under their banner (Bend Studio, Visual Arts Service Group) pretty much drop everything they are doing (Bend's attempt at starting work on a Days Gone sequel, VASG's solo work on the T1X "The Last of Us PS5 remake") to go "support/help" another studio (in this case, Naughty Dog) working on a AAA "blockbuster" game (The Last of Us: Part II, new multiplayer game from Naughty Dog, and now The Last of Us PS5 remake after SONY moved the project under Naughty Dog's umbrella) is just stupid.

Edited by MossyOakRcn42
  • Like 3

so while i don't entirely want this, at the end of the day, i wont lose any sleep over it, (and knowing my habit of buying most big new releases ill probably end up buying this anyways haha...)While i enjoyed TLoU, i definitely don't see its 10/10 scores from a gameplay standpoint. World building and story, I could see but the gameplay was just okay. So you can craft parts to make a weapon or shiv. Oooooo.... ahhhhh. But so they are remaking an 8year old game... that my guess is gonna take 2-4years (probably more like an upgrade on the PS4 version...) so by the time it is out it'll be 10yrs since the OG or 12yrs etc. 

I think it would have made more sense had they not Remastered the original on ps4, i could see people more excited then.

BUT i saw one person's status that made very very good points on many remakes and remasters with the time between the original and remakes. But since hes fed up, i won't tag him. so while people can say its too soon for a remake etc. it is what it is. 

Also for those upset about Days Gone 2 being turned away.. Its a business. Days Gone didn't sell crazy well, was a slow game so many didn't stick with it. I myself stopped for a year before going back and i ended up liking most of the game. But i along with a lot of others found it a mixed game. It wasn't anything special. Out of the "Big 4" (LoU2, Days Gone, Tsushima, Stranding) Days Gone was the weakest by far.

So while i do hope to see a sequel one day, i don't think it'll be anytime soon if ever. 

1 hour ago, MossyOakRcn42 said:

In all seriousness, the fact that SONY is remaking The Last of Us for the Playstation 5 does not bother me. 

The only part that is disappointing (and what a lot of people are up in arms about) is that SONY has seemed to have developed a bad case of "Blockbusteritis", where they seem to think AAA first party/console exclusive games (Uncharted, TLoU, God of War, etc) is the way of the future and they will do whatever it takes 

Agree 100%.

While I still pick SONY over any console to prioritize playing on, I do plan to get XSX eventually when enough exclusives are out. Mostly so i have access to any game release i want.

That aside, as long as ps5 gets rpgs ill be happy BUT i definitely don't want a ton of sequels. Here's my ideas and why for Sony Games...

- Death Stranding 2(Kojima said he'd revisit the world i think, plus it was an experimental game in my opinion. A sequel could take it further, but maybe it should say as 1 game. Min:1 Max: 2)

- God of War (was overdone on ps3, and im a fan of GoW. The change in GoW 2018 was welcome and well done. However... GoW Ragnarok should be the last, if not, then they get a ps5 Trilogy. Kill Kratos. Series is done forever. Min: 2, Max: 3)

- Days Gone (had very mixed reviews. Game looked dated at some parts, lots of bugs/glitches/pop ins etc. , could use a sequel, but only 1.. However it ended reasonably enough as well)

- Ratchet and Clank (its harmless fun and seems to be one of their prominent go to series for good reason. I don't see it ever really running out of steam.)

- Horizon ZD (great first game, and dlc. The world they can build upon is huge. I definitely expect a trilogy from Aloy. If done right it could be one of the better trilogies out there but we will know in 10 years lol)

- Last of Us (they left part 2 open for a sequel. Sooooo why REMAKE part 1? just fucking make part 3 if thats the plan!)

- Ghost of Tsushima (world seemed empty to me. idk. Maybe due to playing Nioh 2 before it. Different games entirely but yeah Tsushima didnt blow me away. It was pretty average. However i could see them revisit the series one more time)

So im not sure what SONY next great idea is, (sarcasm), but like I said, it doesnt bother me we get a remake,but i don't want it taking from other devs. I hate that mentality..

Would have thought remaking The Last of Us was a bit too early but I guess it will be a decade once it is ready, just that I guess PS3 is still "acceptable" in terms of graphics so a remake isn't as impactful as say remaking a PS1 or PS2 game.

However, what I do find sad is how Sony is focusing entirely on big AAA games, and while they have been successful in this regard, I will miss all the smaller games they had which was much more creative, quirky and refreshing after the same-same tone of a lot of AAA games.  I'll miss games like Rain, Puppeteer, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, The Unfinished Swan and The Last Guardian.  Some of them may not have reviewed super well, but they are all fun.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Seems like a waste of resources for a game 10 years old and literally had a remake seven years ago.

Just want to clarify something... a remaster isn't a remake.  Remaster is a fresh coat of paint, remake is a totally different wagon.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MossyOakRcn42 said:

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, the fact that SONY is remaking The Last of Us for the Playstation 5 does not bother me. While I never did beat the original TLoU back on the PS3 (or the PS4 remaster of it), I found it to be a decent game that was enjoyable for the most part (just hated the parts with the Clickers, since they freaked me out playing the game in a dimly-lit room). However, I just never got hooked on the game enough to invest the time necessary to beat it (hence why I never made it more than 8-ish hours into the game on the three different playthroughs I attempted on the PS3 and PS4 version of the game).

The only part that is disappointing (and what a lot of people are up in arms about) is that SONY has seemed to have developed a bad case of "Blockbusteritis", where they seem to think AAA first party/console exclusive games (Uncharted, TLoU, God of War, etc) is the way of the future and they will do whatever it takes to see studios under their banner adhere to their current way of thinking, even if it means pulling the plug/turning down other projects from smaller studios in order to ensure that work is being done on a "blockbuster AAA game".

• Bend Studio trying to get a sequel started for Days Gone, but SONY said no after the lengthy development and mixed reception to the first game (even though the game was profitable). Then SONY made a team from Bend work with Naughty Dog on a "multiplayer game" and other group of members from Bend were made to work on a "new Uncharted game" under the supervision of Naughty Dog instead of working on reworking/re-pitching the Days Gone sequel to SONY (or working on something new).
  • The Visual Arts Service Group (who wanted to do a remake of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune before that idea was dashed) working on the PS5 remake for The Last of Us, before SONY stepped in and moved the remake away from the control of VASG to under the Naughty Dog umbrella once work with The Last of Us: Part Two finished. That devolved into a mess (see below):
  •  

• SONY slowly killing off Japan Studio (best known for their work on Knack, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Patapon, LocoRoco, etc) over the past year or so.

The things I listed above is the primary reason so many people (myself included) are unhappy with SONY over this whole ordeal. Turning down games from studios (in this case, from Bend Studio) and making some of the studios under their banner (Bend Studio, Visual Arts Service Group) pretty much drop everything they are doing (Bend's attempt at starting work on a Days Gone sequel, VASG's solo work on the T1X "The Last of Us PS5 remake") to go "support/help" another studio (in this case, Naughty Dog) working on a AAA "blockbuster" game (The Last of Us: Part II, new multiplayer game from Naughty Dog, and now The Last of Us PS5 remake after SONY moved the project under Naughty Dog's umbrella) is just stupid.

Their business decisions since 2018 have been to turn all their IPs into multimedia franchises across all mediums.

The TLOU1 remake is happening because they have a TV show coming out. They closed Japan studio because not even the Japanese were buying their games and they fell behind their western counterparts. However with the Crunchyroll and Kadokawa deals they're going to do the same and have Anime IPs be games and Television.

The big reason why they closed the PS3 and Vita store is that they're on an old network that can lave the door open to be exploited. And I don't mean free games, I mean stuff like getting CC info stolen since older networks can't have the same security features as newer ones. The hardware was also incompatible and if the PS4 was backwards compatible with the PS3 it would have harmed the PS4's chances at success due to a drastic price increase since you need the cell chips to work PS3 games in the system itself.

None of these are illogical decisions, the current Sony CEO has been pretty much dictating to Jim Ryan on what to do. Jim Ryan is in charge because he won't go against any of these larger plans.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

Hmm, such weird gaming news lately. First the whole thing with TimeSplitters 2 being hidden in that terrible Homefront game, now this. A game as young as The Last of Us getting both a remaster and a remake must be unprecedented. I haven't gotten around to reading the story in detail yet, but if ND are developing it themselves, it doesn't seem like the best use of their efforts. Reeks of cynical cash grab, but we'll see.

Assuming it will include factions mode, I might bother to pick it up used/discounted just for that, if I have better internet by then.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:07 PM, Trini said:

I suggest voting with your wallet (as cliche as this may sound) for everyone expressing their opinion against this decision; at the end of the day, you're in charge of how well this would sell. From the decisions Sony has been making for the past number of months, I think it's absolutely crucial to hold this ideology moving forward.

Agree completely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MossyOakRcn42 said:

The video definitely shows that Sony is obsessed with favoritism as well. You killed off Sony Studio Japan, then you mistreat a company (Bend) on your own fucking continent because the first game didn’t get enough praise and sales. 

I can think of 10 - 20 games that deserve a remake much more than The Last of Us.

Jak & Daxter? Bully? Silent Hill? Gecko? No.... alright then.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

For anyone interested, Days gone director talks about what really happened with Sony, Jason S. calling him a liar afterwards...

33:42 Why Jeff Ross left Bend Studio. 50:00 Sony is still pretty supportive and hands off. 2:49:55 The Jason Schreier article question.

I honestly expect a Last of Us remake bundled with a Last of Us II remaster with the original Left Behind DLC and a short new bridging story and the new multiplayer all on PS5 as a full price title and I’ll easily be buying it day one.  It’s a simple decision

• 8 months later...

Why is anyone asking why? It's about money of course.  And a new set of players that were too young to play it 8 years ago. 

SONY itself isn't a company I like, in any way. They have always had a track record of doing things their own way, often to their detriment.  Betamax, ATRAC3, they got lucky wining the blue-ray over HD DVD. Their hardware is marginal and expensive, I stopped buying their audio receivers after two of them went into protection mode and never came out. They kind of suck really, I am more often unhappy with them than the other way around. I only stay for the trophies.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RedTitan_RedKing said:

...Ellie always looked weird in the first one anyway

Personally, I blame Ellen Page.CXGJFpSwCD7_Paq3KJLqsOvFzo1LjJ3GJyifdFvv

1 hour ago, audiopile said:

SONY itself isn't a company I like, in any way. (...) They kind of suck really, I am more often unhappy with them than the other way around. I only stay for the trophies.

Yeah, but... They gave us the walkman and  the discman, the PlayStation consoles and their magnificent exclusives, and the Sam Raimi Spidey trilogy.

Name a company that hasn't made a few shameful decisions in the pursuit of profit.