Guide in progress - tips welcome

I’ve decided to begin work on a trophy guide for this game. As it’s rather niche with little information to be found online, the aim is to cover it extensively; including a walkthrough for each mission on Cataclysm and a guide for each of the 5 playable characters. 

As such, anybody who wishes to offer any advice, tips, or strategies is totally welcome, no matter how small the offering. Any contribution will of course be properly credited if so desired. 

Here are a few topics you might consider for discussion:

• Suggested weapons In particular, what you think their strengths/weaknesses are when it comes to hordes/stormvermin/specials/ogres. It’s also worth mentioning weapons you found to be lacklustre, so that I might form a ranking of each weapon per character. 
  • Trinket loadouts - This could just be per your individual character, or even what combo proved best when spread across the entire team. Again, feel free to discuss trinkets you found to be inadequate too. 
  • Strategies for specific missions - Did any particular mission prove difficult until you went a certain route or tried a different tactic? How did you position yourselves as individuals and as a team? Did you change your loadout at all when swapping to the Last Stand game mode? 
  • Tips on certain trophies - There are a few mission-specific challenges that require some preparation, as well as simpler tasks such as farming XP. 

Advice doesn’t need to be restricted solely to the topics above, of course. Anything is welcome. 

It goes without saying that I will have to personally attest for anything that goes into the guide, meaning I’m not just leeching off of others by having them do all the hard work ? My only intention is to harbour as much knowledge as I can so that the guide can be as thorough and as helpful as possible. 

Any contribution is greatly appreciated :) 

Edited by MrFudge
  • Like 2

This is great to hear, I originally played this game 4 years ago and remembered having to look alot of things up online as the game isn't great at explaining things. I may be starting this game up again soon, so I'll let you know if I discover any good tips! 

• Like 1

I'll say that's a herculean task you're taking on there, but defo a worthwhile one  :)

Finished and platted the game myself, and i'll first say that communication is key!

Voice chat is a must to know when your party members are moving forward, where they're going, which way they're going to kite enemies etc.

Try and stick with your same 4 man team all the way through. You'll only be wanting to be learn the play style of the one character you pick, and you've gotta master them.

Always move as a team, never go it alone. When you get to the hardest difficulty, most of you will die in a couple of hits and the last thing you need is to be miles away from your team where no one can help you.

Any bugs or glitches you find, abuse the living hell out of them. Although i will say, when i first played there were less aspects of the game that had been fixed, so i may have had an easier time with things, than people who play it now would do  >.<

I played as Sienna, and found that a beam weapon staff with the close proximity 'shotgun' blast was the best weapon type. Allowed me to get long ranged kills by sniping from a distance, and since it was a beam it was easy enough to not hit my teamates with it. However, i know that plenty of people would disagree with me. Play around with the weapon types, and find one that best suits your play style.

Markus really needs a great defensive build, and will be your main line of defense when blocking doorways and tight corridors to funnel the rats through.

Kerillian is great for kiting, especially for the survival arena mode, where you can use her speed and blocking abilities to run the enemies in circles, while your Sienna takes them down from the initial spawn point.

I'd say you'd want Markus, Kerillian and Sienna in your team, while Victor and Bardin are interchangeable.

You'll always want to kill the poison globule throwers asap. One of those throws a gas bomb at your team and you're all in close proximity, end game in seconds.

Taking down the special rats as fast as possible is key, much like with games like Left 4 Dead, a special can ruin a run very easily.

Rat Ogres can be taken down in an instant, which can be easily done with your Markus if he has a decent build. I can't remember the details, but i'm pretty sure it was the repeater handgun. With it's alt fire, it shoots all bullets in the barrel in quick succession within split seconds and does MASSIVE amounts of damage, and is entirely possible to take down a rat ogre in just a couple of barrages.

If i think of anything else, i'll let you know. Hope some of this was at least a weeny bit helpful  :)

Additional: For the trophy 'River Warden' on the level The River Reik, just do it one person at a time. Have the person who needs the trophy hide underneath the stairs holding block the entire time, and have the rest of your team defend you for the duration of the boat journey. It's more time consuming this way, since you'll be running this section 4 times, but you obviously don't have to  put yourselves through the stress of finishing the mission as well.  Just quit out as soon as you've got it, and make sure not to be a complete butthole and help your friends get it as well afterwards  :P 

• Like 2

Thank you both :) Are you ok with being credited within the guide?

17 hours ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I'll say that's a herculean task you're taking on there

A guide for Vermintide 2 would be the Herculean effort, I’m taking the easy way out ?

17 hours ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

Kerillian is great for kiting, especially for the survival arena mode, where you can use her speed and blocking abilities to run the enemies in circles, while your Sienna takes them down from the initial spawn point.

Were you able to keep Sienna up at the original spawn for the entirety of the run? Specifically on Heroic difficulty (the hardest). 

Don't have quite the time yet to write what I want to contribute, but I'll get to it on Tuesday :) It might be a very long post though! 

I'll try to write down how our group approached the 100%, although we came from having finished V2 so of course we had some experience already. I personally mained Bardin, so will also try to explain how I used him, etc. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrFudge said:

Thank you both :) Are you ok with being credited within the guide?

A guide for Vermintide 2 would be the Herculean effort, I’m taking the easy way out 1f601.png

Were you able to keep Sienna up at the original spawn for the entirety of the run? Specifically on Heroic difficulty (the hardest). 

I've not started Vermintide 2 yet, as i'd heard the game was a pretty buggy mess at launch, and if you want all the DLC, it was a damned expensive venture >.<

Yes i was able to keep her up there for an incredibly long time, along with my partner who was playing as Markus, You can basically keep everyone up there apart from your Kerillian, who should be giving all the other enemies the run around.

I only say an incredibly long time and not all the time, as you will start to run into issues with the assassin rats that jump and pin you down.

When an assassin rat pins someone, it tends to push the other players away a fair distance. If this happens to someone and they're still at the spawn point, there's a chance you may not be able to revive them. Sometimes though if you position yourself just right you can revive them through the floor.

Falling to the floor is not the end of the world though. Still have your Kerillian running in circles around the middle, and have your other players following a little bit behind the horde. They're A.I. didn't want to change targets very much for us, so we picked them off at the back of the mob.

Off topic to the arena, just thought of another good cheese me and my team used for the level 'Machines of War'.

Machines of War is one of the longest and worst levels in the game. It has so many stages, and the carrying barrels while you're being savaged can be a bit of a nightmare. However the dock at the end of the level can be made infinitely easier with the use of a basement in one of the houses on the right hand side (as you're looking at the dock).

Take 3 of your players to this basement before you ring the bell and have them all sandwich themselves down in the basement into a little alcove behind a table (pretty sure it was the back left corner). When the bell has been rung, that fourth player should immediately gun it for the that basement.

1 of 2 things will happen:

The A.I. will get into the basement and you have your Markus hold his shield up for defense, your Sienna alt fire shotgunning upon occasion and your other 2 members slashing wildly behind your Markus so as to avoid any rats breaking your line of defense.

And here's the better outcome. The A.I. goes full on stupid and either can't get in the basement at all, or so many of them try to rush you they pretty much wedge themselves and can't even get through the door. Granted it gets a little hectic when you all have to make it to the boat on the dock, but this way you've avoided the abject horror of trying hard to keep yourselves alive at the home stretch  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

I've not started Vermintide 2 yet, as i'd heard the game was a pretty buggy mess at launch, and if you want all the DLC, it was a damned expensive venture >.<

It’s still pretty buggy but it’s a genuinely incredible game and is a vast upgrade on the first in every single aspect. Also I think the only DLC you actually need to purchase for trophies is the Winds of Magic. For the rest of the DLC I believe you can just join someone who owns them and still obtain all of the trophies. I can check that to be 100% sure if you’d like. 

The base game + Winds of Magic bundle semi-frequently goes on sale for just £8 too. 

You can basically keep everyone up there apart from your Kerillian, who should be giving all the other enemies the run around.

Cool, thank you, I’d wondered if that spawn point could prove useful. I’m interested in testing whether or not Kerillian can stay there with her Trueflight Bow; instead sending someone like Saltzpyre down along with a movement speed trinket.

Off topic to the arena, just thought of another good cheese me and my team used for the level 'Machines of War'.

Yea that’s a good one. You can close the basement doors too to ensure the horde can’t get in. 

3 hours ago, MrFudge said:

It’s still pretty buggy but it’s a genuinely incredible game and is a vast upgrade on the first in every single aspect. Also I think the only DLC you actually need to purchase for trophies is the Winds of Magic. For the rest of the DLC I believe you can just join someone who owns them and still obtain all of the trophies. I can check that to be 100% sure if you’d like. 

The base game + Winds of Magic bundle semi-frequently goes on sale for just £8 too. 

Cool, thank you, I’d wondered if that spawn point could prove useful. I’m interested in testing whether or not Kerillian can stay there with her Trueflight Bow; instead sending someone like Saltzpyre down along with a movement speed trinket.

Yea that’s a good one. You can close the basement doors too to ensure the horde can’t get in. 

For the kiting method i guess you could use a Victor.

It's been so long since i've played it i've forgotten how weapon builds work exactly, but whichever ability it is where you have a higher percentage chance of getting another block every time you get hit while blocking is the main crux of it, for pretty much every character. Even me playing as Sienna found it to be uber useful if we were in a tight situation...... Oh god, i'm having flashbacks to 'The White Rat'  :o 

But yeah, having a Kerillian and a Sienna up there would defo prove useful  :) 

As for Vermintide 2, you defo need more than just The Winds of Magic. There's 4 DLC packs and if i'm remembering right, you basically have to buy 2 packs just to be able to get all the trophies, and sadly at least one of those packs is the more expensive one that i've not seen come on sale, at least not for a price i'm willing to spend yet.

It's certainly something i want to play, but i'd rather have a 'complete edition' with all the DLC in one pack.

Or at least for Sony to allow you to buy multiples of a DLC, example:

Let's say Vermintide 2 has a pack which has the base game, and 2 of the map packs and i buy that one.

Then let's say they release another version with all the DLC and no game in the pack. I can no longer buy that pack, because i already own content from it since i bought the other pack. Sony really need to get their shit together, especially as of late.

As you may have gathered, i prefer owning all this stuff myself  ;) 

So i reinstalled my game to check things out.

I played mostly Kerilian and Sienna.

Sienna: orange sword with Regrowth on charged attack, Endurance and Heroic Killing Blow Charged Attack.

I think regrowth is really strong in cata given the amount of hordes you fight. It's really consistent keeping you close to full hp. Of course you want the trait to match with your gameplay. As Sienna, her charged attack is godlike dealing with packs of enemies, knockback and cleave super strong, also armour penetration for elites. Endurance or Improved Guard as defensive trait cause cata is all about blocking. Killing blow, why not. Could be a game changer if lucky.

Compared to V2, i felt unecessary to use staff too much, so i ran red Bolt staff. Limited friendly fire, amazing range to tackle enemies, specials and boss from distance. 

But really you don't have to be the godlike sienna we see a lot in V2, that steals all kills and use staff every second. Friendly fire is annoying, venting damage is annoying and you'd better let more enemies to come so your mates can have regrowth proccs, than trying to be a hardcarry.

Kerilian: Sword and Dagger. Cleave makes survivability vs hordes easier.

Perfect Balance: +2 stamina makes a big difference.

Swift slaying: attack speed and movement speed boost on charged attack, really strong.

Regrowth or Bloodlust.

Ranged weapon, i don't think you can pass on the Trueflight Longbow on consoles. Any trait.

Trinkets

Quick foot for farming skip.

For normal play i went: Explosive ordnance (better bombs can make a big difference), a healing item like Hand of Shallya, and a defensive item (bullet resistant cause ratling gunners can be the most dangerous of all specials). All orange of course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Now, we played on Hard with starting equipment, but again, we had experience from V2. I wouldn't recommend this to a newcomer. Play on Easy / Normal first if you are new to the franchise! 

Definitely lol. It’s not so much the gear that is the issue - green weapons work fine even on Nightmare - but knowing how to play. When my friends first joined me they were getting eaten alive on Easy. I think most people see this gigantic horde of rats running towards them and just want to go full-on Rambo, not realising how cautiously you have to play this game ? 

Shields are completely unecessary in this game. You can do fine without them, and I personally also think it is more fun to slay than shove.

Largely agreed on this. A shield with Improved Guard can be useful, basically turning the player into Ironbreaker Bardin from V2, but is only really effective in very confined areas. 

I also have to say that when using a shield with Bardin I couldn’t see shit lol. 2ft man + blind in left eye = :stalker:

And there is a fantastic double-heal potential here... Set a horde on fire with the Drakefires, proccing Regrowth, switch to Axe.. when the enemies die from the fire DoT, it will proc your Bloodlust. Fantastic healing capabilities! 

I’ve read that Sienna can have a similar setup for dual-healing but haven’t tested it myself yet. Curious if you can remember how many times your healing traits would proc per run, roughly? 

The 2HH is also a great weapon (albeit a bit slow) for crowd-control, with good single-target damage and great stagger-cleave. However, I feel like while the changes to the stagger system in V2 now make staggering really useful (and required), in V1 it is not as important, so I prefer killing over stunning. 

I used Kruber’s 2HH which is seemingly identical to Bardin’s, and found it particularly effective when running Cata missions solo/with 1 other player. Taking care of the braindead bots is vital, and the immense stagger helps keep the hordes sparse (generally, bots can withhold enemies fine until the moment one of them flanks). 

The light attack is also fantastic for quickly eliminating Stormvermin, who will successfully 1v1 your bots regularly. The charged attack helps reach SV in the midst of a horde too. 

Pair it with a Repeater Handgun which is great for Specials at close-mid range and incredible against Ogres, and you have a loadout that can take on anything in the game, which is necessary when alone. 

Any weapons that you feel might be particularly effective when alone? @Shorah- I know you didn’t have a team so maybe a question for you too? 

As for trinkets... We didn't play the game long enough to get many good trinkets

Tell me about it...it’s a nightmare trying to make a tier list when you can’t even obtain half of the trinkets in the game + much info online is outdated ?

Anyway thanks for taking the time to write it all out (this goes for everyone who has responded in this thread too). Always appreciated :) 

Edited by MrFudge
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2021 at 10:53 AM, MrFudge said:

I know you didn’t have a team so maybe a question for you too? 

I did play with a team for most cata.

I feel like nothing is effective enough alone to tell people they can do cata with bots with X build on Y character.

Maybe some diehard fans lvl 1000+ can do some alone on consoles but for most player it's not gonna happen.

Because bots are such a burden, your only chance to get the platinum is actually to message a lot of people, here and there, and hope you find 2 or 3 reliable partners to play with you.

That's how i made it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The game has many glitches, some can be watched on youtube like the speed run in Reikwald. 

Another glitch is in the map Black Powder. On the side of the boat is a very high ladder. If someone runs at the begin to the ladder and climbs near the top, but out of reach from Hits from above. The other 3 players have only deal with Vermins, no Oger spawns. A lot Vermins try to hit the player and surrounding the the ladder. Beware an assassin or the gunner can ruin your run, if they target the guy on the ladder. Works great on cataclysm. 

I don't know how the hint above mine is a great help. You can have very high dps and one storm vermin get an Insta kill on the player. 

But if you can deal with a patrol of 24 storm vermins solo, respect. ?

• Like 1

On 22/06/2021 at 1:51 PM, pewiha said:

But if you can deal with a patrol of 24 storm vermins solo, respect. 1f914.png

Allow me to introduce you to this badboy: 

RMYwiDx.jpg

Btw for anyone interested, the guide is coming along very well. Will still be some months though, as I’m taking my time. 

• Like 2

On 22.6.2021 at 3:51 PM, pewiha said:

The game has many glitches, some can be watched on youtube like the speed run in Reikwald. 

Another glitch is in the map Black Powder. On the side of the boat is a very high ladder. If someone runs at the begin to the ladder and climbs near the top, but out of reach from Hits from above. The other 3 players have only deal with Vermins, no Oger spawns. A lot Vermins try to hit the player and surrounding the the ladder. Beware an assassin or the gunner can ruin your run, if they target the guy on the ladder. Works great on cataclysm. 

I don't know how the hint above mine is a great help. You can have very high dps and one storm vermin get an Insta kill on the player. 

But if you can deal with a patrol of 24 storm vermins solo, respect. 1f914.png

Patrol on cata has 20 stormvermins and they are very easy to kill solo with multiple different weapons, even without str pot. Having high dps really helps a lot, a single person can kill most enemies that spawn, if every player has damage like that, the game becomes a joke.

Edited by Warped_Tonttu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Joker-Kun890 said:

The funny thing is, I've actually witnessed Warped kill an entire patrol solo on cata. 1f602.png

To be fair though @Warped_Tonttu you're one of the best Vermimtiders. 1f609.png

Yeah I wanted to say that as well.. The DPS tip above might be half-trolling, but it comes from an experienced veteran that knows what he's talking about ?

@MrFudge let us know if you need any futher input for the guide.. looking forward to reading it! (Also... Chaos Wastes next week!)

• Like 1

In a game like Diablo 3 you do not need to know how exactly how you get high DPS, it comes naturally through progress and the character level. But this game does not increase any stats by level. It would be nice for all players who are not so excellent veteran players and kill a whole storm vermin patrol on cataclysm alone, how to get a good setting to make this game easier. 

Otherwise the post has the flavour of trolling. A patrol is for my team almost every time the end of the match, and we know what to do. 

It reminds of another game where I ask how to get a good setting and the answer was: DODGE. 

This kind of post does not really help any player. 

I play the Witchhunter with the axe and red dual pistols. If I got lucky, I can kill three of them if the trait triggers to fire like an anti air gun. But even then 17 storm vermin goes into melee and I kiss earlier the ground as I count to three. And nightmare is a peace of cake. 

Nobody steals something from another player of he tells about his setting.

Btw. Are you sure we talking about the same game. The screenshot with the weapon seems to be from Vermintide 2

Edited by pewiha

On 25/06/2021 at 8:34 AM, Arcesius said:

@MrFudge let us know if you need any futher input for the guide.. looking forward to reading it! (Also... Chaos Wastes next week!)

Thanks, will prob ask a few veterans to read over some important parts once the guide is actually done, but as I said that’s still a long way off. Will likely be with regards to the ranking of the individual weapon traits, since it’s so subjective. 

Also nice, I just checked the other day to see if there was any update on CW...was painful watching PC play with the new elf career whilst we didn’t even have the damn Wastes lol. 

On 25/06/2021 at 7:43 AM, Warped_Tonttu said:

Having high dps really helps a lot

Any particular weapons (+ traits) you would especially recommend? 

On 25/06/2021 at 0:43 PM, pewiha said:

A patrol is for my team almost every time the end of the match, and we know what to do. 

Btw. Are you sure we talking about the same game. The screenshot with the weapon seems to be from Vermintide 2

Patrols are easy to simply avoid once you have enough experience. They have fixed spawns/routes and make one hell of a racket well before they even get within range of you. You can also be surprisingly close to them without triggering aggro (unless the bots fancy a little bit of trolling). 

If you do end up in combat with them, proper spacing and positioning is a necessity. If you’re in the middle of a horde when you hear them coming and can’t feasibly avoid them, do your best to get to a position which gives you plenty of space to move (preferably backwards). Bombs/potions are also helpful, especially if the ogre’s already dead. 

Oh and yea the pic is from V2, I chose it because it looks cooler. 

-

-

-

⚠️ On the anniversary of this thread I feel I should provide an update for anyone that happens to be browsing. The guide is still being fully worked on but won’t be finished for some months yet. In the meantime, you can contact me directly for any queries. 

Edited by MrFudge