alleged 10/10 platinum difficulty rating makes me afraid to play this - is it REALLY that hard?!

rockstarjazz

3 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

thanks.

but what happens if you create a blank account, play a game, earn a trophy, but later find you dont like the game or dont want to go after all the trophies, and you delete that blank account. what happens to that trophy?

The blank account, trophy list, trophies get deleted and will not be on your main profile.

If you earn, lets say, 96% of all trophies but can not get the plat (and you are happy with that) you could also sync them to your main account.

On 13/04/2021 at 5:32 AM, Storfl_92 said:

The blank account, trophy list, trophies get deleted and will not be on your main profile.

thanks. i can confirm this works for ps4, so should work on ps3.

i did a quick run in the prologue - boy was i bad with the controls, i'm THAT rusty! mind you this is my first time playing dmc5. got that trophy then logged out, switched user, deleted that temp user with dmc5 and trophy went, so thats good. at least i can play this game with no pressure now.

storywise, is it required to have played previous games before this one to understand whats going on in the story?

• Like 1

it's a japanese game so expect it to swallow up half your life, like cancer. as far as i'm aware you literally have to "be" one of those youtube 0.1% of the world type speedrunner pros to get the completion within a few weeks. lol. you need something like perfect, flawless unbroken combos in everysection without ever being hit or missing a combo for the entire game on hardest difficulty.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

29 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

i did a quick run in the prologue - boy was i bad with the controls, i'm THAT rusty! mind you this is my first time playing dmc5.

Don’t worry, that rust will shake off in no time. ?

I haven’t played DMC5 yet (currently working on 3), but the thing I love about these games is the real feeling of progression as you move through the difficulty levels and upgrade your character. It’s pretty normal to get whopped your first time through the game and feel a little overwhelmed with the controls and combos, but with every new run and bump in difficulty you will see your skills, reflexes, and knowledge improving at a steady pace, and it feels really great to see that hard work pay off.

5 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

playstationtrophies forum and powerpyx both rate difficulty as 10

That was at release.  There’s all kinds of optimal methods that have been discovered since then.

The trick is to just focus on one mission at a time.  

I played Human and Devil Hunter difficulty through normally and didn’t focus on ranks.  Once I hit Son of Sparda, I began trying to beat each mission with 0 hits which practically guarantees an S Rank.  This is made easier by using checkpoint exploit.  

DMD mode is harder but you can still use the checkpoint exploit.

Hell and Hell is basically SoS mode but with no checkpoints, but by the time you can S rank DMD, HaH will feel way easier.

V can use auto mode and camera manipulation for easy SSS ratings and Dante can abuse the hat to make all his stages a joke.  

Nero is the only character that takes some skill but you can beat nearly all stages by playing keep away using the charge shot and arm that gives you air dodge.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

thanks. i can confirm this works for ps4, so should work on ps3.

i did a quick run in the prologue - boy was i bad with the controls, i'm THAT rusty! mind you this is my first time playing dmc5. got that trophy then logged out, switched user, deleted that temp user with dmc5 and trophy went, so thats good. at least i can play this game with no pressure now.

storywise, is it required to have played previous games before this one to understand whats going on in the story?

In my opinion, you would really be missing out on a lot of fun by skipping those. The game has a Gallery and you can watch “History of DMC” to catch you up a little bit.

On 4/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, ShadowReplicant said:

Personally, I'd give it a 9/10. It's doable, but I wouldn't want to do it again, which is why I haven't purchased the PS5 version. It's a phenomenal game though, so play it on an alternate account if you have to.

I don't think the PS5 version requires you to S rank every mission on all difficulty settings. Moreover, DMC5 is extremely smooth on PS5 and the loading screens load about 4x faster. Definitely recommend you check it out, trophies are easier to obtain in general too.

• Like 1

So, I started playing around a month ago and I've finished every mode except Hell and Hell (I'm on M10) (HorH and Human excluded, they're a cakewalk). I have around 40% of the missions S ranked across all difficulties so I'm fairly familiar with the game by now. It's not a 10/10. More like 9.

S ranking every single mission on every difficulty is a demanding, time consuming and at times, a defeating task.

Being entirely honest with you here. Granted you stay motivated and are willing to put in the time and effort. You will succeed and get the platinum. Most, don't, however, because they're not going for the plat to begin with, or they give in. 

I don't think it's a 10/10 plat because of the sheer amounts of exploits you have at your disposal. Just to name a few;

1. When using Faust with Dante, you will often make it halfway through the level or even to the final boss and get hit, voiding both the 1.2x and 2x multipliers. You can immediately quit the application and restart to keep your red orbs. H&H doesn't have checkpoints.

2. On DMD, you have checkpoints so you can immediately quit the application each time you get hit to restart and retry. The game won't register the hit.

3. Completing the game on DMD unlocks super characters. They are crazy OP in every conceivable way really and trivializes the game. Infelicitously, you can't use them to clear missions with S ranks as they result in a penalty of 0.2, but you can use them in the bloody palace which is a huge relief. 

well, i am working my way again in the DMC series, starting with 3. i'm struggling to get S ranks in any of the missions at the moment, and i cant master the royalguard well - i either block too early or get hit entirely. my hands are abit strained from the hard work of this game. i havent done DMD yet.

DMC1 since its older and perhaps clunkier, will this plat be harder?

looking at DMC4 plat, that seems an utter bitch, i dont think i'll bother with that one. i have the ps3 version which is trophyless anyway so thats ok.

given the above i think i'll play DMC5 on a second user account and give it a try though i dont think i'll be able to S rank everything. the strain itll produce on my hands will be too much :( 

On 18/04/2021 at 5:24 PM, GamingNation2K said:

I don't think the PS5 version requires you to S rank every mission on all difficulty settings. Moreover, DMC5 is extremely smooth on PS5 and the loading screens load about 4x faster. Definitely recommend you check it out, trophies are easier to obtain in general too.

The PS5 version is the same as the PS4 version in that in order to obtain the Platinum, S Ranks must be achieved on all difficulty’s Except Heaven or Hell. ?There is an added mode called Legendary Dark Knight on the PS5 Special Edition which also doesn’t require S Ranks, but with the huge points that can be obtained, S Ranks wouldn’t be a problem on that difficulty even if they were required! Trophy’s on the PS5 were worded differently, which made it sound like the entire game could have been played with one character as opposed to having set levels for characters! That was a shame as it would have been brilliant to play all levels as Dante! ?

37 minutes ago, rockstarjazz said:

looking at DMC4 plat, that seems an utter bitch, i dont think i'll bother with that one. i have the ps3 version which is trophyless anyway so thats ok.

When it came to Devil May Cry 4, it definitely was a harder run as far as getting the S Ranks were concerned! Orbs played a part along with time and it made for some tight S Ranks on higher difficulties! ? It definitely is a great preparation title for 5 though as there are a lot of shared mechanics! ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rockstarjazz said:

which DMD is harder - 3, 4 or 5?

I personally think the 3rd game has the hardest Dante Must Die, especially when going for S Ranks which of course are not part of the Platinum on the 3rd game! However, every devil May Cry gets easier as you unlock more weapons/skills. S Ranking 5 felt easier because of the way the S Rank overall score was achieved. I enjoyed 5 the most, but I would say that that Dante Must Die mode was in-between 4 and 3 in that order without going for S Ranks, but if it was about getting all S Ranks on Dante must Die on all games, then it would be 5, 4 and 3 in that order. Phew ? . Like I say, this was my personal feelings towards the difficulty level of the games. ?

Edited by Bionic-Spencer
  • Like 3

i'm resorting to using a super costume to get through DMD on 3 at the moment. i completed normal, hard and v.hard modes (all done once) and getting mainly B ranks. even with a super costume DMD is tough when it gets to the boss fights.

with 4, people say that s ranking missions including DMD is actually easier with the female characters? whats an easy way to s rank all missions including DMD on 4?

same with 5 too? whats an easy way of s ranking all those?

HAH with 5 is going too far, i dont think i'll be able to get the plat and may just play for story on an offline user account on my ps4 :(

with 4, people say that s ranking missions including DMD is actually easier with the female characters? whats an easy way to s rank all missions including DMD on 4?

When it came to 4, I overplayed it on Xbox 360 as I enjoyed it so much. That helped transition to the PS4 version. Because the female characters weren’t on the 360 version, I didn’t really use them on the PS4 to get the S Rank Trophies, so I cant give advice on using the Female Characters for the S Ranks. As far as S Ranking DmD on 4 for myself, it came down to practice. Collecting Red Orbs helps with obtaining the Ranks, along with how quickly the level is complete. No items used also gives a bonus, but Combos are of course important. 

same with 5 too? whats an easy way of s ranking all those?

With playing 4 so much, this helped with 5 also as the main mechanics of the game are so similar. Nero is very good at building S - SSS Combos by using the Devil Breaker arms! I personally used the Gerbera, Punchline and RagTime set up for pretty much every mission. Dante is an absolutely amazing character to use. His on the fly weapon and style switch allows for Crazy Combos. This makes his levels to get S Ranks in the best! There is a selection in the menus called ‘the Void’ that is an area that allows for Practicing Combos against enemies of your choice. That would be a good place to work with! But, to get ‘easy’ S Ranks for people not really good at Combos, then trying to get no hits will be the way to go. As long as you manage fights with Nero, the Bonus from not getting hit will pretty much guarantee the S Rank on every level. With Dante, using the Dr Faust Hat and manipulating the camera so you can’t see any enemy on screen will really help get S Ranks for that Character! V is the easiest to get the S Ranks out of all the characters! The game rally is amazing though, the fun by playing it properly and learning Combos will be the most satisfying by a mile, but there is a tonne of help on here and YouTube that will make the S Ranks so much easier for anyone willing to play this! 

• Like 3

i just completed DMD on 3 - mission 19 was an utter nightmare even with the super costume - needed multiple devil stars for the hourglass section and multiple gold and green orbs for the arkam fight. how the heck can anyone S rank that i have no idea. safe to say i can only s rank missions on easy or normal when fully upgraded. looks like i'll have to abandon the dmc4 and 5 platinums now :( i hope dmc1 isnt worse!

On 23.4.2021 at 2:00 AM, Bionic-Spencer said:

The PS5 version is the same as the PS4 version in that in order to obtain the Platinum, S Ranks must be achieved on all difficulty’s Except Heaven or Hell. 1f605.pngThere is an added mode called Legendary Dark Knight on the PS5 Special Edition which also doesn’t require S Ranks, but with the huge points that can be obtained, S Ranks wouldn’t be a problem on that difficulty even if they were required! Trophy’s on the PS5 were worded differently, which made it sound like the entire game could have been played with one character as opposed to having set levels for characters! That was a shame as it would have been brilliant to play all levels as Dante! 1f604.png

When it came to Devil May Cry 4, it definitely was a harder run as far as getting the S Ranks were concerned! Orbs played a part along with time and it made for some tight S Ranks on higher difficulties! 1f604.png It definitely is a great preparation title for 5 though as there are a lot of shared mechanics! 1f44d.png

Oh, so it's not possible to play the missions with whatever character you prefer as the trophy descriptions suggests? That would be a bummer, I didn't know that :/

11 hours ago, GamingNation2K said:

Oh, so it's not possible to play the missions with whatever character you prefer as the trophy descriptions suggests? That would be a bummer, I didn't know that :/

No, I’m afraid not. When I read the Trophy descriptions originally, it sounded like all characters could be used exclusively though every mission. That would have made the S Ranks on all missions way easier for everyone, but it is exactly the same as the base version! 

• Like 1

for DMC 4 and 5, is there a way to s rank all missions for the trophies with any unlocked costumes upon completing a difficulty first time, like a super dante costume for example?

i just platinum DMC 1 and 3 and i wouldnt mind going for 4 and 5. but if its going to be too hard i might let the trophies go :( i dont want to waste countless hours doing the same missions over and over again to fall short of the s rank because i dont have freaklike reflexes like some supergamers do.

Edited by rockstarjazz

On 5/3/2021 at 9:16 PM, rockstarjazz said:

for DMC 4 and 5, is there a way to s rank all missions for the trophies with any unlocked costumes upon completing a difficulty first time, like a super dante costume for example?

i just platinum DMC 1 and 3 and i wouldnt mind going for 4 and 5. but if its going to be too hard i might let the trophies go :( i dont want to waste countless hours doing the same missions over and over again to fall short of the s rank because i dont have freaklike reflexes like some supergamers do.

You get a massive score penalty at the end of missions for using super costumes, so unfortunately they won't help for S ranks.

That being said, I would encourage you (and anyone else on the fence about tackling DMC5) to not be too intimidated. The game is challenging, but is closer to a 7-8/10 than a 10/10. You don't need incredible reflexes or crazy combos, just practice, knowledge of enemy waves, and abusing parts of each character's kit (aerial combos/charged shots for Nero, auto mode for V, Dr Faust for Dante). The game is a ton of fun and missing out on it would be a shame, especially if you enjoyed the earlier titles.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well i am playing devil may cry 4 at the moment and i am mentally broken by that game. i have practically given up on the s rank trophies because theyre impossible.

i can only assume the same will apply to 5.

so yes, the 10/10 difficulty rating is accurate. the developers are stupid for making it this hard. its not fun. its enraging, frustrating, i have had bursts of anger and rage i never thought i had. mental breakdowns too over trying the plat for 4 and giving up. after a streak of 54 plats.

i hope they patch the difficulties for these games soon because games shouldnt be like this they should be fun.

i'm not having fun with 4's trophies its actually traumatising me.

Edited by rockstarjazz

So the developers are "stupid" for making a platinum hard, when most people who play video games don't care about achievements or trophies?

I'd get wishing that it wasn't so hard, as even I would agree with that, but I don't think they're stupid for making the platinum hard to obtain either.

Not all platinums are supposed to be easy, or even inherently fun for that matter. (What one considers to be fun is in of itself subjective anyways, but I digress...)

Plus, if it's bothering you that much to where you're feeling legitimately traumatized, then you need to step away and take better care of yourself.
(You know, rather than deflecting blame onto the developers for your lack of self-control and not taking good care of your own, personal mental well-being)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3