Nier Replicant PS3 for non japanese speakers

Asph1

Years ago I bought this PS3 classics off Amazon for a couple bucks and since the PS4 remaster is coming out soon I decided to give it a go.
I don't really understand japanese but i bought it anyway for my collection since i also have all Drakengards, Automata and Gestalt.

I wasn't really thinking about getting the plat because of the language, but playing through the game and realizing I was going through the whole run I realized that MAYBE it could be done.
The game always puts a cross on the destination and skipping the dialogue doesn't really affect anything.
I got a little stuck in the forest of myth with the random questions but eventually got through and now i'm in the "B" branch, for the subquests i'm using an english guide but i'm more concerned about upgrading the weapons and farming the materials.
I know the DLC makes this process a lot easier but can I buy it with a JPN account before the PS3 store closes and use it with my EU one? I mean, I know i can account-switch on the PS4 but it looks different the PS3 and I don't want to spend like 10€ for a crappy DLC (it seriously sucks) and not even having it worth for the trophy.

I also hope Nier Replicant ver 1.224[...] will have a separate trophy list cause if it shares the trophies with the old game I went through all this hassle for nothing and it's a bummer.

On 4/12/2021 at 8:53 AM, Asph1 said:

Years ago I bought this PS3 classics off Amazon for a couple bucks and since the PS4 remaster is coming out soon I decided to give it a go.
I don't really understand japanese but i bought it anyway for my collection since i also have all Drakengards, Automata and Gestalt.

I wasn't really thinking about getting the plat because of the language, but playing through the game and realizing I was going through the whole run I realized that MAYBE it could be done.
The game always puts a cross on the destination and skipping the dialogue doesn't really affect anything.
I got a little stuck in the forest of myth with the random questions but eventually got through and now i'm in the "B" branch, for the subquests i'm using an english guide but i'm more concerned about upgrading the weapons and farming the materials.
I know the DLC makes this process a lot easier but can I buy it with a JPN account before the PS3 store closes and use it with my EU one? I mean, I know i can account-switch on the PS4 but it looks different the PS3 and I don't want to spend like 10€ for a crappy DLC (it seriously sucks) and not even having it worth for the trophy.

I also hope Nier Replicant ver 1.224[...] will have a separate trophy list cause if it shares the trophies with the old game I went through all this hassle for nothing and it's a bummer.

I'm confused why you are wanting the DLC?

EDIT: oh for farming?  Ehh, I guess it made it a bit easier.  I played NieR xbox without dlc and 100%ed and on ps3 platinumed it including DLC and I guess it was easier for some.  But the worst ones, like the necklace you get from the flying guys, I don't THINK you can get from the DLC.  But I could be wrong.  

But yes if you have a Japanese PSN account and buy a Japanese PSN card you can get any DLC.  I may do that just because.

Edited by Chettlar

On 12/04/2021 at 2:53 PM, Asph1 said:

... I got a little stuck in the forest of myth with the random questions but eventually got through and now i'm in the "B" branch... 

I am planning to get the Japanese version as well just to stack it alongside NieR: Automata, Nier: Gestalt (which I'm playing at the moment) and NieR: Replicant v2021. I was believing it can't be that difficult since it will be fresh from playing Gestalt until you mentioned the Forest of Myth and I do remember repeating the 'test' for making a mistake - so I imagine it would be harder in Japanese for a non-native speaker such as myself. I'd still have a go at it though but holy molly the grind for this game is real!

The DLC does help with the rare materials such as the eagle egg. So I'm sure without it since I don't have payment/card details on my JP PSN account, going for those eggs in Aerie legit would be a tremendous pain and may mean that progressing through the story may have to wait a while during part 2.

I also hope Nier Replicant (PS4) will have a separate trophy list cause if it shares the trophies with the old game I went through all this hassle for nothing and it's a bummer.

I am also hoping for this too. But Square Enix/Toylogic hasn't released the trophies yet so I'm really anxious to know. I really am hoping that the trophy list would be similar to Platinum Games' NieR: Automata's which was an absolute joy to complete - not upgrading ALL weapons for a trophy and not seeing ALL endings as a requirement as well. Automata has given us so much wiggle room for trophy hunters/completionists which for me was a great move on the dev team's part.

Edited by eispan71

16 hours ago, eispan71 said:

I am planning to get the Japanese version as well just to stack it alongside NieR: Automata, Nier: Gestalt (which I'm playing at the moment) and NieR: Replicant v2021. I was believing it can't be that difficult since it will be fresh from playing Gestalt until you mentioned the Forest of Myth and I do remember repeating the 'test' for making a mistake - so I imagine it would be harder in Japanese for a non-native speaker such as myself. I'd still have a go at it though but holy molly the grind for this game is real!

To be honest I understand very little kanji/kana in japanese, enough to know if i'm giving either a positive or negative answer to a question, navigate through the menu and knowing my next destination (limited to be able to tell apart the kanji for forest/mori, mountain/yama or the japanese name for Popola ?)
In the menu the japanese characters for the special attacks are super imposed over the english ones, so you can see the romaji names under the kana  (though i've never really switched from the dark hand through the entire game).
In the forest of Myth in a riddle you have to look out for the colour of the girl's eyes which is the most tricky thing cause you have to know where it is said. I know some kanji for the colours and after three of four attempts i think i saw the "yellow" character (i think??), then somewhere the text prompts out a number which is easier to look for in the sea of japanese characters and this is linked to the second question (for the third question any answer is good)
I couldn't yet go through the flooded castle, i've attempted it a couple times but kept failing, i think it gives a sword it can be obtainable in a later quest so I skipped it for now (hope i'm not wrong or i have to do an extra playthrough)

The thing I'm having really a hard time with is pairing the subquests and the items (like weapons or key items) with the guides. I do understand japanese characters for names like Yonah and basic items like eggs, meat, flowers/fruit and words contained in weapon names like "beast, queen, twins" (or whatever) but when i'm REALLY stuck and i don't understand anything i use the divine GOOGLE TRANSLATOR tool pointing the camera of my smartphone at the screen and getting the characters translated into someting understandable (it takes a lot of interpretation sometimes but IT WORKS)

Hope it helps someone like me who wants to stack the Nier platinums.
(Sorry I've explained myself in a weird fashion but i've learnt english by playing FF7 when i was a kid and is not my first language, I hope i'll be able to learn japanese this way too ?)

Edited by Asph1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I know it's been several days, but I just read your post and it made me happy to see that someone is playing the Japanese version of 'Nier Replicant' on PS3. I have both versions: in the European version I got the platinum trophy, but in the Japanese version I didn't get platinum yet because I started it right after finishing the European version and I got a little tired.

The only thing left for me to achieve in the Japanese version are endings C and D, upgrade all weapons, farm the legendary flower and complete the game in less than 15 hours. I downloaded the DLC with a Japanese account and it really helped me to farm rare items. I am now playing the PS4 remake and when it goes platinum I will go back to the original Japanese version of PS3 to have it 100%.

I see you are from Italy. I am from Spain and my level of English is not very good either. Sorry if I am not very well understood, but I am very happy to see someone also enjoying the original version of PS3 :)

• Like 2

Awww your answer actually made me so happy, i feel you DO understand me ;D
I also got the plat for Gestalt just before the release of Automata and back then I was soooo frustrated with the weapon upgrade trophy that i got the platinum for Automata through the in-game npc store. I think this is my biggest regret, trophy-wise.
As of now i'm at 87% progress in the original PS3 Replicant, I just miss ending D and two weapon upgrade trophies (grrrr)
It's totally doable in full japanese if you already know the game, you just have to find your way through the Forest of Myth! It's the only tricky thing.
Best of luck with the platinum, i hope you will achieve it too when you'll feel it's the time to resume the game again ;)
You can ask me anything if you need advice! <3

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/04/2021 at 4:56 PM, Asph1 said:

To be honest I understand very little kanji/kana in japanese, enough to know if i'm giving either a positive or negative answer to a question, navigate through the menu and knowing my next destination (limited to be able to tell apart the kanji for forest/mori, mountain/yama or the japanese name for Popola 1f601.png)

I took the plunge and have decided to play the Japanese version. The game already arrived and I got it from the Yes! Japan store via Amazon. I'm gonna start trusting these sellers from Amazon coz they seem much more reliable than the eBay ones which I'm not really sure if they're coming from Japan or a store in another country pretending to be from there.  Anyway I fired up the game 2 hours ago and have gotten 5 trophies so now there's no turning back!

My daugher is learning a bit of kanji/kana herself and she volunteered to help me on what the words mean. She's not fluent but enough to get me by. I'm now familiar with Popola which her name pops up on the selections of which missions would have to be done next.

In the menu the japanese characters for the special attacks are super imposed over the english ones, so you can see the romaji names under the kana (though i've never really switched from the dark hand through the entire game).

Yeah I saw this one and was hoping the rest of the game would feature such. I was having a hard time tinkering with the options/settings - I had to load the EU game and take screen shots for reference. That should help me a bit.

In the forest of Myth in a riddle you have to look out for the colour of the girl's eyes which is the most tricky thing cause you have to know where it is said. I know some kanji for the colours... 

This is going to be a tough one for me, I'm probably just going to wing it! I did a list on the most likely answers to the other riddles, probably going to be luck based from here on. I'm gonna have to try your Google translator method, hopefully it's on the iOS/Apple App Store? (got it! wow it's a godsend! I stopped using this ages ago since the iOS has its own, didn't know it now has this improved new feature). The egg translation I learnt about it just a while ago (tomago) which I will need to identify the eagle eggs and giant eggs. I have also taken a screen shot of the items sold at the vendors and will leave the important ones as "NEW" so I can easily see them on the list and leave the unimportant items as read/discovered so they'd be off the list. I hope doing all these won't make me go beyond 15 hours so I can get the Lightspeed trophy on my first playthrough. This would be my third NieR game since completing NieR: Gestalt and NieR: Replicant ver 1.22 a couple of weeks back.

On 30/04/2021 at 4:40 AM, Hayato_VJ said:

I downloaded the DLC with a Japanese account and it really helped me to farm rare items. :)

I wished I had the option to get this as well. I do have a Japanese account but without a valid Japanese credit/debit card registered in the account I believe we cannot load up a Japanese PSN card? I was planning to get this one from Play Asia. The DLC really helps big time with the Eagle eggs and Pyrite which are almost non-existent picking them up in the desert. You have more chances, though still super rare in getting them at the Junk Heap - at least based on my experience. I never had much luck in the Barren Temple when I played NieR: Gestalt and NieR: Replicant ver 1.22.

On 01/05/2021 at 2:56 PM, Asph1 said:

... you just have to find your way through the Forest of Myth! It's the only tricky thing...

You're now making me nervous with the Forest riddles!

----------

EDIT: 21.05.2021

I've just got the key fragment from the Forest of Myth and just guessed the answers, I did get a few fails though. With regards to the nightmare scenarios with the mayor and the two other residents of the forest, I just skipped that since we can purchase the weapon (you get rewarded from completing the riddles) from the blacksmith at Aerie before you trigger the boss battle. You can just visit Aerie anytime in Part 2 after getting the key fragment from the Lost Temple.

Edited by eispan71

On 17/5/2021 at 9:29 PM, eispan71 said:

I took the plunge and have decided to play the Japanese version.

YAYYYYY GO FOR IT!

I got the plat by now and it's totally obtainable, your best friend will be the google translate app (i use it on my iphone so it works on iOS). You just point the camera on your tv and the text on your phone gets translated. This is precious while going for materials but also for quests if you kind of get lost even if using a guide.

I got the DLC by buying a card off play-asia but maybe i could have done the plat even without it since i almost got all the pyrite by going in and out the Barren Temple, like, a million times.
Good luck and godspeed!

• Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 8:09 AM, Asph1 said:

... your best friend will be the google translate app (i use it on my iphone so it works on iOS). You just point the camera on your tv and the text on your phone gets translated. This is precious while going for materials but also for quests if you kind of get lost even if using a guide.

Yeah thanks to you I have rediscovered (and reinstalled) the app. I have taken it out from my phone when the iPhone created their own so I can save storage space, but despite it being an Apple app it's really not as good as the Google Translator. Indeed the camera translation is a godsend! I think playing Japanese games would be a lot easier now having this app available compared to before. So again thanks to you for suggesting this awesome translator app - it may not translate things 100% accurately but it's way more than enough to get us by.

I got the DLC by buying a card off play-asia but maybe i could have done the plat even without it since i almost got all the pyrite by going in and out the Barren Temple, like, a million times.

I made a mistake here by finishing off the Disturbing The Sleep of Kings quest. I should have left it active so I can just easily enter/exit the big door after the long bridge that leads us to the boss room - until I got all what I needed. Much easier to do it this way than to do it on the main entrance. But since I finished the quest, I can no longer do this method anymore.  At least you have confirmed that the main entrance can still do the trick - though I do expect to keep doing it a million times like you've said, that's a lot better that than not get the plat at all.

The DLC will definitely make the Pyrites more accessible as sometimes you can get two in one trip, worse case is to get one after every 2-3 run-ins with the Nightmare Dungeon. I still need 6 of these... so that's probably going to take me 6,000,000 times to run in/out the Barren Temple for me then! LOL

By the way did you need a Japanese credit card registered on your PSN account before being able to TOP-UP your JP PSN account? I'm still eyeing to buy a Japanese stack of an EU released game, but a bit worried that despite being able to buy a JP PSN card I still might not be able to redeem it without a valid credit/debit card registered as a mode of payment on my account.

--------------------

So indeed a big hooray for you for finally getting this rare and covetous platinum!

--------------------

EDIT: 26.05.21.0117

I've just completed the 30 weapon upgrades! You're right, farming the Pyrites at the Barren Temple wasn't that bad. I didn't expect to be lucky enough to get them sooner than what I have anticipated - and without the DLC! So the tough trophies are out of the way and the platinum seems to be in the bag by the look of things!

Edited by eispan71
  • Like 1

Oh wow, that was fast!
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S  ❤️

(PS: If you'll ever need to use the japanese store in the future you don't need a japanese credit card, you just redeem the play-asia code)
(PPS: NEVER link an european credit card with an US or JPN account, i had an US smurf account banned for doing that! Just buy a code and redeem it, that won't cause you any trouble!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Asph1 said:

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S  2764.png

Thanks! Just the 15-hour speedrun trophy to go and then finally the plat!

If you'll ever need to use the japanese store in the future you don't need a japanese credit card, you just redeem the play-asia code... NEVER link an european credit card with an US or JPN account, i had an US smurf account banned for doing that! Just buy a code and redeem it, that won't cause you any trouble!...

Sound advice! Thanks for the confirmation and for the heads-up!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/7/2021 at 8:03 PM, sephiroth4424 said:

If you buy the the disc, can you play in a EU ps3?

I thought it could, but i'm checking some JP copies of Demons Souls on Ebay and the sellers mention that you need a JP ps3 in order to play

Yes you can, it's not region locked.
I have an EU ps3 myself and the game is the JP localization

• Like 1