Jim Ryan needs to be voted out of his position

Pariah_Dark

Even if this was the case theoretically as long as Jim can pay up the top suits won't change anything, so it really just depends on how he does in this generation if it fucks up he will probably be demoted if he succeeds than he can keep pushing his ideology forward  excluding extreme ways he would stop being head(Controversy, death etc) and with how things are going for Sony I doubt they will have any problem with Jim for a while.

Edited by Sir_TyroneOBE
  • Like 1

Way back in the 1980's, Michael Eisner (then-CEO of Disney) said this:

We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective. But to make money, it is often important to make history, to make art, or to make some significant statement.

Sony is a business, first and foremost, and any decisions Ryan is making is based on that. It's unlikely that the CEO would be the person to decide whether to shut down the PS3 stores, but even if he did, he's not doing it because he's evil. He's doing it because it's not profitable anymore. The people on this board buying 8-12 year old games are a minority of their entire customer base.

For what it's worth, I think their new trend of being risk-averse and only pursuing extremely safe bets for their internal studios is short-sighted. But when every single re-release of an old classic or new COD/Madden/whatever makes gobs of money, I can't really argue that's a bad approach after this year.

You want to know what will cause him to get thrown out as CEO? Investing millions in risky games that fail to sell enough to earn back their production costs. But Sony's never done that... right?

• Like 3

The $70 price tag is still ridiculous, but this has nothing to do with the CEO of Sony, that's on the individual developers of the companies and the canceled games are just rumors as far as we know.

I do however agree with the closing of the PS3/Vita storage and the treatment of Japanese studios. It says a lot about their look towards the legacy they created with these past games and compatibility in general, yet they are surprised when people pirate their games. If they at least ensure the customers that they had a back up plan for this, it would caught such criticism, but the fact they don't quite tells something about them. Not to mention all the other shady stuff that came out in regards of the consoles longevity so that's something to still look out for. 

• Like 1

The only thing that current Sony has done that really irks me is what they're doing with Japan Studios. They've made some really phenomenal, unique games and it sucks Sony is letting all that talent go to waste. I understand people's complaints about the PS3 and Vita store but we all knew it was bound to happen. I usually buy my games used or get the collector's edition if I need it day one so the $10 increase doesn't bother me. Everything else mentioned I don't care about. I have no plan on getting a PS5 until Yoko Taro releases something for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pariah_Dark said:

Yes, The current president of SIE, Jim Ryan needs to go.

Look at all the negative things that have happened under his watch in the two short years he's been at the head:

- PS5 exclusives raise to $70

- Japan Studio stripped to it's bare bones

- Legacy psn stores closing

- Killzone franchise retired

- Days Gone 2 denied

- Web store gets downgraded

- game patches starting to disappear due to legacy stores closing soon

- Currently killing any hope for full backward compatibility despite according to two patents they are working on solutions.

- Turned down Kojima's next game (allegedly)

- Closing the video/movie rental store DESPITE LITERALLY just starting a new video service on their new bravia televisions.

Under this man's leadership, I can't think of a single good thing that he pushed. I've never seen a company leader pull off such levels of self-sabotage before. It's as if this man has no idea what made the Playstation brand the household name it is.

And this final part is me speaking for myself personally. But as of now, I see no reason to ever buy a ps5 or anything Sony puts out beyond this point. They've shown me they have no follow through.

Edit- Days Gone Director's own admission of the Days gone 2 pitch:  https://cogconnected.com/2021/04/days-gone-director-confirms-sequel-pitched/

Relax lol It was said yesterday that 3 or 4 things in the report are false! It was said pitch was turn down but the game Days Gone 2 is in development ... So, relax 

Edited by Titanomachy_75
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

This thread is terrible, but I'm pretty sure everybody here knows what a corporation is. Why do people think writing out paragraphs describing corporate greed is a good defense of corporate greed?

Like, I hate to break it to you, but being motivated by profit doesn't make a corporation exempt from criticism. If anything, it should encourage more criticism.

I'd say this thread is evidence that a lot of people do not, in fact, know what a corporation is. Exhibit A: The shared notion that Jim Ryan is singularly responsible for all the bad decisions made in SIE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snakebit10 said:

Maybe I am the only one but I can see the reason for the $10 increase on games. Kinda expected it last gen. These things are getting very expensive to develop. I don't know much on the corporate side of things but, would this be a decision that Jim Ryan could make on his own?

plus $10 isnt a big deal. in Canada a new ps5 only game is 89.99 before tax. Comes to around 100$. I'd be totally fine if they sold them for 99.99 + tax Canadian. Isn't an issue.

But yeah OP, I'm the same way. When I noticed the PS3 logo not appearing on my PS4 friends list anymore I knew something was up. Even way before then, you'd never see a PS4 friend that was online if you were on a PS3 but the 360 can and still does show X1 players that are online. I didn't get a PS4 until 2016 because I was still busy with the PS3 and I really don't see myself getting a 5 right now, even if it was in stock, let alone at all. I want Demon's Souls and Ratchet but it's not worth it. Just seems like a mess. (Missed both new Ratchet's at launch lol) maybe if it ever came to PSNow on PC. When I heard Kojima's next game going to XBox I thought it was just a random rumour but now who knows. Would be interesting to see where Japanese Devs go if not on Sony's console. 

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don’t think there are many, if any, major shareholders or members of the Sony corporate leadership board on this site who would have a vote to cast. :dunno:

People are still allowed to criticise it tho lmao.

3 minutes ago, trojbrown40 said:

I'd like to add how they sabotaged the party chat system (when it wasn't broken) and taking down communities. Again, not saying it's Jim Ryan's doing but it's under his watch. The PS5 launch feels rushed as well just to compete with Xbox. They have done literally nothing to stop the scalpers. 

Being spied on in chat wtf, remember MW2 lobbies? Lol. The communities being taken down makes absolutely no sense meanwhile Xbox has a feature to look for game parties. THE STATE OF IT ALL. I was looking for it on the app last month, no wonder I couldn't find it! I hope they're at least archived so you can go back and look.

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but if you're blaming Jim Ryan for this you don't really know what you're talking about.

The current CEO of Sony of Japan is who has being making all these moves. Jim Ryan is in charge of Playstation because he's a Yes man who will do what Yoshida orders. For decades sony has been trying to build up the playstation's branding so it has it's own IPs that sell by the tens of millions and with the PS4 that finally happened. So now they're going to be taking these brands and expanding upon them and cross promoting them across different media platforms like TV shows and movies. This is also why they have made deals with Anime studios like Kadokawa and bought Crunchy Roll because those will be a source of new game IPs and promotion as well.

Yoshida was to cross promote all Sony IPs with playstation, so he wanted Jim Ryan to close underperforming studios, remove the older online networks so they don't cause things like CC info getting stolen, or questionable activities being taken place, and effectively make the company more efficient because their new goal is to make these IPs global multimedia franchises that are on par with the top.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 4

Haha, voted, that's cute.

But even if you do, Sony is a public company, with stocks on the market, a  CEO there is nothing more than a glorified prostitute,   his removal wouldn't  change much.

Only thing that would work  is pressure from rivals, and last time Microsoft  was on top, they made paid online the norm.

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Yeah, as long as the shareholders are happy, he's not going anywhere.

I'm a shareholder (not a major one by any, any, any stretch. Probably like 0.00005 or some shit). But I don't like his leadership. I don't see how under him share holders are benefitting more than under any previous person in his leadership position.

3 hours ago, Maaden_Swe said:

Lol, you guys are hilarious. 

More than half of these are either not true or doesnt have anything to do with him.

Grow up. And please dont get a Ps5, go be a gamepass circus clown instead. You sure argue like they do. 

Oh right, because Xbox giving away quality content for practically nothing makes you a clown. Go lick Sony's boots while they continue to kick you down.

• Like 4

While I mostly agree, and as much as I dislike ol' Jimmy, he's not responsible for everything bad to come out of Sony/PlayStation, as much as we might like to use him as a scapegoat or poster boy for "this man did Sony bad".

Sony as a whole has been kind of... Lacking to say the least, for a while now. I can't imagine someone like Jim Ryan being hired/promoted into the position he is now during the PS1 or early PS2 era, but it's not like I've ever worked for Sony, so that's just my own conjecture from an outsider's perspective. A lot of the disappointment started to come about (at least for me) when Sony moved their HQ to California in 2016. Jim Ryan didn't become CEO until around 2019 if memory serves. I've noticed a lot of big businesses in and around California seem kind of, out of touch? I'm not really sure how to word it, but there's been so many baffling decisions from big companies in recent years, and one thing I've noticed that they tend to have in common, is that their HQ is often based in California.

Google Stadia (for example) seemed like it was thought up by sheltered rich folk living in their big empty apartments with their constant super fast internet, and seemingly forgetting that not everyone has constant, fast and stable internet. Not to mention most people that are into games, already have PCs and/or consoles, why the hell would they need Stadia in most cases? And surprise, surprise, Stadia hasn't exactly been performing well; they shut down their internal game development studio and their player count statistics have been consistently embarrassingly low.

It's like when Flexplay was a thing (self destructing rental DVDs for anyone that's not familiar), marketed towards the super profitable target audience of... Business men that just want to watch a quick DVD movie while they're travelling and won't be able to return them? Or something? Clearly an idea thought up in some little office bubble by people who somehow seem to forget that now everyone lives the same lifestyle they do, especially not the kind of people they're generally trying to sell things to. Sony, similarly, has been making a lot of tone deaf decisions in recent months that really show they don't understand their consumer base very well.

The only thing we as consumers can really do is vote with our wallets. Don't buy a PS5 or any new PlayStation/Sony hardware or games, don't renew your PS+ subscription, and maybe even write 'em a letter/email stating your disappointment in their recent decision (they likely won't acknowledge it though). The thing is, a lot of us are still going to be buying a PS5, buying first party games and renewing our PS+, even if we aren't happy with recent decisions. And that's all they care about, they've made it very apparent that money speaks the loudest.

Thankfully, it seems a lot of people are getting tired of Sony's BS at this point. Not just on PSNProfiles, but the wider community in general. I only hope that the PS5's sales steady out in the next year or two, and it starts struggling to compete with the Nintendo Switch and whatever Nintendo's next console might be in a few years time, and perhaps even the Xbox. The only thing they're going to listen to is money and sales, and if their sales figures stop dropping, that might be when they start making less anti-consumer and other baffling choices and actually start listening more to what fans and costumers are actually saying, rather than just looking at what makes money and thinking they know best - people liked the Last of Us so clearly people must just want more Last of Us, even though the reception to the possible remake has been rather deadpan if nothing else.

• Like 4

Don’t really care about any of that on your list.

I do hate the restructure that has led to a more puritanical policy of censorship and banning of games. For that destruction alone I wish him sadness in his life. If he was responsible. But I don’t know if he was

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lianco said:

Being spied on in chat wtf, remember MW2 lobbies? Lol. The communities being taken down makes absolutely no sense meanwhile Xbox has a feature to look for game parties. THE STATE OF IT ALL. I was looking for it on the app last month, no wonder I couldn't find it! I hope they're at least archived so you can go back and look.

It's not actually spying fyi, as far as I can tell people just have the option to record voice activity if someone is, say, being inappropriate and needs to be reported. But it's not like Sony is archiving everything you say.

• Like 1

And if Jim Ryan goes full on backwards compatible (brings all the games back through PS Now with option of being downloads) then you'll probably praise him for being innovative. Days Gone wasn't a good game and didn't sell well enough. It was honestly the biggest gaming disappointment for me of 2019. Are you going to complain that Anthem 2 won't come out next? This happens and it's time to accept it. He isn't going anywhere in the near future.

3 hours ago, SeedersPhD said:

Welcome to capitalism, where the money is made up and the people don't matter. Once you learn that corporations ruin everything they touch, you'll start to realize why you can't get attached to things like this.

This is a good message to learn from. 

• Like 3