Jim Ryan needs to be voted out of his position

Pariah_Dark

I can't agree with you....YET...We really have no idea what Sony/Playstation is up to at this point. Until we hear from them we just don't really know. Who knows what any of the higher ups are actually doing/working on right now. They have (as usual) been extremely quiet. Anything you have been hearing has only been rumor as of lately. Yes it has all been negative and I'm not saying Sony can do no wrong. I'm just saying let's just wait and see this summer what Jim or any of the higher ups have been up to to better/compete.

3 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

Way back in the 1980's, Michael Eisner (then-CEO of Disney) said this:

Sony is a business, first and foremost, and any decisions Ryan is making is based on that. It's unlikely that the CEO would be the person to decide whether to shut down the PS3 stores, but even if he did, he's not doing it because he's evil. He's doing it because it's not profitable anymore. The people on this board buying 8-12 year old games are a minority of their entire customer base.

For what it's worth, I think their new trend of being risk-averse and only pursuing extremely safe bets for their internal studios is short-sighted. But when every single re-release of an old classic or new COD/Madden/whatever makes gobs of money, I can't really argue that's a bad approach after this year.

You want to know what will cause him to get thrown out as CEO? Investing millions in risky games that fail to sell enough to earn back their production costs. But Sony's never done that... right?

Dont try to argue business/logic in this thread or the other 100page one where it's been beat to death.  Either you hate Sony for shutting down the old gen stores, or you're labeled a Sony fanboi

• Like 1

It's funny how you guys complain about games being at $70 now, here in Italy PS3 games at launch costed exactly €70 and tbh I thought that was the standard price pretty much everywhere lol

Jokes aside I think Sony and Jim made really bad decisions recently, but some of the arguments you made are not confirmed at all and seem pure speculations (like Days Gone 2).

Besides, nothing will really happens to Jim Ryan because I'm sure all of the recent decisions won't affect Sony's profits in any way, and that's what we are talking about a multinational with the purpose of making $$$.

Sure it sucks the customers will pay the consequences but as soon as Sony makes revenue (because let's be frank with over 115 millions PS4 sold and the launch of PS5 the playerbase that still play regularly on PS3 and Vita is very very slim while the dudes that spend hundreds of dollars a week/month for FIFA Ultimate Team, Fortnite skins etc are waaay more than us) the only thing that can happen to Jim Ryan is an even bigger salary. 

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

Because you’re any better?

I have yet to hear you make one statement in the time I’ve known you that was decent. 

I know for a fact that if I had made this thread instead of the person here who made the OP (because I never seen the guy) I would probably get shitcanned because several people know the rants I post. That’s basically the nature of online forums whenever you’ve stuck around for a while and people know you for something. 

The PS3/Vita store closing, whatever. Right now I’m focusing on whether we can actually download and access our purchased content on the old systems once the stores go. 

To kill off Sony Japan Studio and then reject a Days Gone sequel means this is angering more than the trophy hunters. The video I posted is full of upset people in the comments who probably never gave a shit about trophy hunting, but they’re concerned for Sony’s future as I am. 

Sony is just as bad as EA and Activision. I voted with my wallet and stopped buying EA and Activision products at full price. Their CEOs are smug rich assholes, but couldn’t care less as there are countless minions with little to no brain willing to shove out money for the latest Madden or CoD. Who cares about creativity and innovation? 

My genres are indies and older games, but I suppose Steam is a far better platform for those at this point.

What a joke. Sony went from a company I was proud of when they published Bloodborne, to an absolute piss stain that only concerns itself with AAA blockbusters. 

The Last of Us remake? I can think of 10 - 20 Sony products that far deserve a remake much more than TLOU. 

Sony is just money hungry and is completely taking the safe route, just like EA. I hope they crash and burn like Xbox did last generation with their Xbox One crap. 

1st off. you don't know me. 

2nd. i never once said im a nice person and to be honest I'm not. As one of my best friends said to me, i just say it how it needs to be said. Whether i offend people in public or not, i just say what people think..Perhaps not here, but in general. 

the only thing i do agree in your dumb rants is that Last of Us doesn't need a remake and that you should get a steam account.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

1st off. you don't know me. 

2nd. i never once said im a nice person and to be honest I'm not. As one of my best friends said to me, i just say it how it needs to be said. Whether i offend people in public or not, i just say what people think..Perhaps not here, but in general. 

the only thing i do agree in your dumb rants is that Last of Us doesn't need a remake and that you should get a steam account.

Nobody knows me either. We just post on an online forum. I couldn’t give a damn what anybody does here outside of this website. 

I’ve had a Steam account for a long time and have dozens of games on it. I occasionally play on Steam but with the changes made under this Sony leadership I am going to invest more time into the games I want to play under a system that takes care of preservation and actually having a working interface. 

Steam doesn’t care about me either, I’m going to be honest. Seeing games for $70 a piece is just not something I can afford, and the PS5 I couldn’t get in my area if I wanted it right now anyway. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Nobody knows me either. We just post on an online forum. I couldn’t give a damn what anybody does here outside of this website. 

I’ve had a Steam account for a long time and have dozens of games on it. I occasionally play on Steam but with the changes made under this Sony leadership I am going to invest more time into the games I want to play under a system that takes care of preservation and actually having a working interface. 

Steam doesn’t care about me either, I’m going to be honest. Seeing games for $70 a piece is just not something I can afford, and the PS5 I couldn’t get in my area if I wanted it right now anyway. 

i also don't care about you.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

people are never satisfied. I don't see anyone here in a position to change Sony.

gamers: "we want change!"

Sony makes changes

gamers: " i like the old stuff, whyd they change it".

can't please everyone. 

Jim Ryan is doing whats best for business. 

How? How are these actually going to be better for business? Maybe somehow its good for short term profits, but screwing over your fan base doesn't work well long term. Sony seems to be going the PS3 route and Xbox could easily capitalize on that this generation.

• Like 4

Just now, BrandedBerserk said:

Dude you seriously need to chill out lmao. If you hate Sony that much then why don't you just switch platforms instead of letting your anger out every day on forums? 

And toss out the thousands of dollars I paid on Sony? I’m not exactly in a position to sell my shit on eBay or some other online auction/retail. 

Taking away features on the PS4 is more stupid than anything else. I can understand Sony taking away the old game libraries and taking out movie/tv show rentals, they aren’t profitable anymore. They should leave the PS4 alone and focus on improving the shitty PS5 interface. 

Playing former exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn on the PC is going to cost me a lot of money, plus right now getting custom parts to build a decent gaming rig isn’t exactly easy. Sony is killing their brand by making the exclusives that were available on Sony consoles only available on Steam, so they’re basically timed exclusives at this point. Days Gone will be on PC, and the millions of PC gamers out there can’t say no to that. 

Right now Demon’s Souls and Astro’s Playroom are the only real games I would play on the PS5. Sure, I’ll be missing 4K 60 FPS and Ray tracing, but I’m not a graphics focused gamer. 

Sony is doing what EA of the recent past did. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Alderriz said:

Yeah, like everyone else has said already, most of those points have little to do with Jim Ryan. I'm not a fan of the guy and his decisions either, but let's be a little more fair.

The jump to $70 was inevitable. People have been expecting it to happen for years. And it's not exclusive to games on PlayStation platform. Inflation, bigger game budgets, etc, caused this. There's already a topic where this has been discussed in detail.

You cannot rely entirely on AAA blockbusters alone for an entire console generation. The jump to $70 may be justified, AAA games cost more than they ever did before. Development lead times are already insane. The fact that the AA games industry has been mostly gone and missing from Sony platforms these past few years or so is utterly appalling.

There will be a new God of War, Ratchet & Clank and Gran Turismo title coming out, but that simply isn't enough. Moving former exclusives over to the PC just hurts the Sony brand even more in my opinion. Why would I play them on a Sony platform when the PC, which is already capable of giving me more graphical power gives me more to choose and setup?

If you want to criticize someone for closing down studios and cancelling big 1st party projects, you probably should focus on Hermen Hulst, the current president of SIE Worldwide Studios. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's his responsibility to oversee this kind of stuff.

Herman doesn't care. The shift in attitude since Yoshida left is obvious.

The new web store being worse is web-designers' fault (or whoever makes these, IDK, certainly not our friend Jim).

That said, I guess it's understandable that he receives all the criticism, since he's the big boss, and he's supposed to take responsibility for the big negative changes in the end.

We all know one man alone can't do all of that. He has people under him doing the work for him, the leadership at the top gives orders to those below them. That's how business works.

I'm fed up with Sony at this point. I bought everything already that I wanted left on the PS3 and Vita, and if updates not working means I won't get all the trophies then it's tough shit on my part.

Not going to bother with a PS5 anymore. I still cannot get one in my area and there is a worldwide chip shortage, among other things. From this point forward I'm going to invest more into Steam and perhaps get a Nintendo Switch when I get the time and money. I also don't enjoy a lot of realistic looking games as they aren't my thing, but clearly I'm beginning to see I'm on the wrong platform if Japanese titles and indies are what I want.

Sony can suck my dick.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

Add these too:

-update on PS4 where we can’t see people playing on PS3 and Vita systems (because they want people to forget these systems)

-stopped supporting the PS Vita way too early

-5 months before closure they tell us the closure of the PS3 store, they don’t even have the respect to tell us much sooner AND they still wont give PS3 discounts because they know people are going berserk now buying digital PS3 games

-web store went to shit: design is terrible, not enough info, wish list is gone, it’s gotten to the point people are using a different web store made by a random person online (ahem Nathaniel).

-PS phone app went to shit: notifications don’t work, store isn’t showing enough info, can’t see friend’s list, no activity feed, no customisation (profile background).

They give us only 3 months,not 5 . April/May/June

I don't think it's self sabotage as much as it is a scummy business practice. They're closing these stores and removing these games just so they can re-release these games on newer hardware just so that people will buy them again. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xugoshi said:

I don't think it's self sabotage as much as it is a scummy business practice. They're closing these stores and removing these games just so they can re-release these games on newer hardware just so that people will buy them again. 

And thus more money in the bank for Sony.

• Like 1

This "just go get gamepass" routine is pretty tiresome. Being critical of a company's service and keeping them in check doesn't mean I wanna go somewhere else for that, it means I don't want them to get complacent. Cutting costs here and there and betting on the big bucks might look interesting on paper, but it's pretty short-sighted overall. Small, pro-consumer moves go a long way to their long-term bottom line and keeping consumers attached. 

We must speak with our wallets. If we're displeased by the fact they're remaking a 2013 game that still looks just fine over sequels and new intellectual property, but we go ahead and buy it full price when it comes out, than we're part of the problem.

Also, while Jim Ryan may not be the culprit for any of this, he's the head of a company that is making several questionable moves in the eyes of the player base and he's certainly not responsible for not letting any of that happen.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

You cannot rely entirely on AAA blockbusters alone for an entire console generation. The jump to $70 may be justified, AAA games cost more than they ever did before. Development lead times are already insane. The fact that the AA games industry has been mostly gone and missing from Sony platforms these past few years or so is utterly appalling.

There will be a new God of War, Ratchet & Clank and Gran Turismo title coming out, but that simply isn't enough. Moving former exclusives over to the PC just hurts the Sony brand even more in my opinion. Why would I play them on a Sony platform when the PC, which is already capable of giving me more graphical power gives me more to choose and setup?

Herman doesn't care. The shift in attitude since Yoshida left is obvious.

We all know one man alone can't do all of that. He has people under him doing the work for him, the leadership at the top gives orders to those below them. That's how business works.

I'm fed up with Sony at this point. I bought everything already that I wanted left on the PS3 and Vita, and if updates not working means I won't get all the trophies then it's tough shit on my part.

Not going to bother with a PS5 anymore. I still cannot get one in my area and there is a worldwide chip shortage, among other things. From this point forward I'm going to invest more into Steam and perhaps get a Nintendo Switch when I get the time and money. I also don't enjoy a lot of realistic looking games as they aren't my thing, but clearly I'm beginning to see I'm on the wrong platform if Japanese titles and indies are what I want.

Sony can suck my dick.

for a guy who's so against sony, you sure love this site. 

Also yeah a console can survive off AAA. Its SONY GAMES being AAA. im sure little indie games will still release as guess what? can you guess? can ya?

Those games arent developed by anyone at Sony. Geez

like i said, getting rid of it is good for business.

That's like still having them ship ps3s to stores when they won't sell. They probably dont even make much revenue from these old games to begin with. Its a small audience that still decides to buy old games. Plus im sure they figure the big titles are on psnow so if people wanted to play ps3 stuff so badly  they could try to see if its on psnow.

Thats all i have to say. Quit whining. 

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

for a guy who's so against sony, you sure love this site. 

Also yeah a console can survive off AAA. Its SONY GAMES being AAA. im sure little indie games will still release as guess what? can you guess? can ya?

Those games arent developed by anyone at Sony. Geez

like i said, getting rid of it is good for business.

That's like still having them ship ps3s to stores when they won't sell. They probably dont even make much revenue from these old games to begin with. Its a small audience that still decides to buy old games. Plus im sure they figure the big titles are on psnow so if people wanted to play ps3 stuff so badly  they could try to see if its on psnow.

Thats all i have to say. Quit whining. 

Exactly.

There are more great indie games now than ever before, and more of them coming to the Playstation than ever before.

Sony's internal studios, over which they have control, have sweet-fuck-all to do with indie games.

How would a Sony-owned or operated studio possibly create an 'independent game'?

They are the definition of 'dependent' for fuck's sake.

It's right there in the damn name.

Independent studios will be making Independent games.

Small to Medium sized 3rd Party studios will be making the B-tier and A-Tier games.

The bigger 3rd Party, Cross-platform studios will be making AA-Tier and AAA-Tier games.

Sony Internal and wholly owned Studios will be concentrating on flagpole, marquee release 'AAA' Games that shift consoles en-masse.

You know how I know that?

Because that's exactly how it always has been. ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2