Question about the trial

ShotgunSquirrel

Hi folks, very new to this so please forgive any stupidity. 

This is my first time trying the game. I downloaded this game when it went free for a period last year but never played it. Decided to finally start it with the PS5 upgrade but it still says I'm playing the free trial. 

Will I own the base game but the trial is for the subscription? Bit confused because it's in beta, I believe. Apologies again for any idiocy.

FFXIV is a subscription based game, the free trial will give you access to a pretty big part of the game- you can play up to level 60. In order to access the rest of the game 61~80 and all of it's content, you will need to pay a monthly subscription fee.

You can find information about how much the subscription costs here: https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

It's roughly 12 euro's a month, slight variations depending on how many months you want to subscribe for each time.

Edit: And to clarify on the PS5 Beta part; this is just the client version for the PS5 and it’s in Beta because it’s new- it doesn't actually change anything in terms of how the trial works, or how the subscriptions work. It's all the same game with the same subscription plans, regardless of which platform you chose to play on.

Edited by TfT_02

On 13/04/2021 at 11:14 PM, TfT_02 said:

FFXIV is a subscription based game, the free trial will give you access to a pretty big part of the game- you can play up to level 60. In order to access the rest of the game 61~80 and all of it's content, you will need to pay a monthly subscription fee.

You can find information about how much the subscription costs here: https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

It's roughly 12 euro's a month, slight variations depending on how many months you want to subscribe for each time.

Edit: And to clarify on the PS5 Beta part; this is just the client version for the PS5 and it’s in Beta because it’s new- it doesn't actually change anything in terms of how the trial works, or how the subscriptions work. It's all the same game with the same subscription plans, regardless of which platform you chose to play on.

I have a question too.

If you play the PS5 trial version (and perhaps upgrade to a subscription), will everything carry over when it's out of beta?

And are all trophies unlockable on PS5 during this beta?

Thanks in advance! ^_^

15 minutes ago, SGRevan said:

I have a question too.

If you play the PS5 trial version (and perhaps upgrade to a subscription), will everything carry over when it's out of beta?

And are all trophies unlockable on PS5 during this beta?

Thanks in advance! ^_^

Your account won't be in the beta, it's just the PS5 version of the game that is. I have activated my account on PS4/PC/Mac and now PS5 and can play on any of those platforms if I want. So your data won't go anywhere, don't worry :)

All trophies are unlockable in the current PS5 beta, just not during the free trial of the game without a subscription or the purchased expansions (Stormblood and Shadowbringers), as the list contains trophies for which you need to go beyond the initial 60 levels and content that is available in the free trial.

Edited by Adilya
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adilya said:

Your account won't be in the beta, it's just the PS5 version of the game that is. I have activated my account on PS4/PC/Mac and now PS5 and can play on any of those platforms if I want. So your data won't go anywhere, don't worry :)

All trophies are unlockable in the current PS5 beta, just not during the free trial of the game without a subscription or the purchased expansions (Stormblood and Shadowbringers), as the list contains trophies for which you need to go beyond the initial 60 levels and content that is available in the free trial.

Thank you for the info ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 10:45 AM, Adilya said:

Your account won't be in the beta, it's just the PS5 version of the game that is.

So let me see here. I canceled my current account. If I create a new account and boot up the open beta, I can still play FFXIV on the PS5 and it'll still have everything I know from the PS4 game, and my progress won't get deleted when the game comes out of beta? I want to start playing FFXIV on PS5 now and create a new account but worried I will have to go through hoops to play once the game is out of beta, like pay for the game. Should I buy the collector's edition of FFXIV on my PS4 and upgrade to the beta? I'm confused and that is delaying my return to Eorzea as a Lalafell. :(

On 08/05/2021 at 7:14 AM, winter_bird_22 said:

So let me see here. I canceled my current account. If I create a new account and boot up the open beta, I can still play FFXIV on the PS5 and it'll still have everything I know from the PS4 game, and my progress won't get deleted when the game comes out of beta? I want to start playing FFXIV on PS5 now and create a new account but worried I will have to go through hoops to play once the game is out of beta, like pay for the game. Should I buy the collector's edition of FFXIV on my PS4 and upgrade to the beta? I'm confused and that is delaying my return to Eorzea as a Lalafell. :(

It's a subscription based game, so you'll need an active sub to play, beta or not. The only way you can get around not paying a sub is if you play the free trial, but once you get the full game there's no going back. You gotta let go of the whole beta thing though, it has nothing to do with the game at all. The only thing it's doing is making the game playable on the PS5, it changes nothing in the model of the game. Whatever version you have on PS4 is what you get to play on the PS5 version. So if that's the free trial you get up till HW, if you bought all expansions you get the full game. 

I see you mention a new account, but wanting to still have everything you know from the PS4 game. Starting a new account does not carry over any of your old characters, so you gotta start over completely. Coming out of beta has no effect on your characters though, so no need to be afraid of that :)

On 5/10/2021 at 4:47 PM, Adilya said:

I see you mention a new account, but wanting to still have everything you know from the PS4 game. Starting a new account does not carry over any of your old characters, so you gotta start over completely. Coming out of beta has no effect on your characters though, so no need to be afraid of that :)

I apologize if I seemed a little defensive about this whole thing.

I know that starting a new account will not carry over data. I fully intended to drop my last character and start over fresh so I could experience the entire story in PS5. Canceled my last account so I knew there was no going back.

I'm glad you verified that even if the beta closes, I can continue playing on the actual PS5 version with the character I played on the beta. I don't mind having to buy the PS4 edition to upgrade it, I know the whole collection edition, which has data up to Shadowbringers, is $29.99 on the PS4 store and I can afford that. I've played this game several times on PS4 so it's not a big deal to purchase and upgrade for me.

I have to get the platinum for Dragon Quest Builders 2 first before I dive into FFXIV again. That game will suck up my life and time and I want to ensure that at the least I will be able to regulate my time in FFXIV to make take for other games. Once I get the platinum in Dragon Quest Builders 2, I will start playing FFXIV. Probably on the 13th or when the Iternate Moogle appears again on the 14th.

On 12/05/2021 at 5:50 AM, winter_bird_22 said:

I'm glad you verified that even if the beta closes, I can continue playing on the actual PS5 version with the character I played on the beta. I don't mind having to buy the PS4 edition to upgrade it, I know the whole collection edition, which has data up to Shadowbringers, is $29.99 on the PS4 store and I can afford that. I've played this game several times on PS4 so it's not a big deal to purchase and upgrade for me.

Do keep in mind that once you upgrade from the free trial by buying the full game, you will need to have an active subscription too. It comes with 1 month when you purchase the game I think but after that you'll need to renew it each month to keep playing. The PS5 platinum is only achievable by buying the full game (since there's a lot of trophies from Stormblood on in there).