What Happens To PS3 - Trophies When I Buy PS4?

Praeditos

Your trophies are attached to your Playstation Network account. Once you earn the trophy, you sync it to the Sony servers by viewing your trophy list. Or you can set it to sync your trophies before the system shuts off. The point is, once your trophies are synced to the servers, they're there for good. You can even view your trophy list from any console that has your account on it, whether its a PS4, PS3, or Vita, and see your trophies. For instance, this is a screenshot of my trophy list as it looks on my Vita:

10788756145_8395808893.jpg

As you can see, there's three Vita games on that part of the list, but there's also two PS3 games. The PS4 has something very similar. I looked at it today and all my trophies are there.

• Like 4

Thanks for clearing that up all!

Next question, will they add the option to delete games from the trophy list? You see, I`m the kind that cannot live with having games uncompleted.

Not that this has been concerning me lately since I created new user (This One) couple days ago!

Not only do trophies carry over, but the PS4 lets you view your overall trophy profile, including your PS3 and Vita trophies.  This is actually surprising, I assumed that the PS4 would display the PS4 trophies only, and that your PS3/Vita trophies would only be viewable online via their website.  So it's pretty cool, actually!  Of course, it only works if you are connected to the internet, and if you disconnect your trophy tab is disabled. -.-

• Like 1

it only works if you are connected to the internet, and if you disconnect your trophy tab is disabled. -.-

Seriously?! Is there any logical reason why it can't just work like the PS3's way of storing them. I really hope Sony patches offline-trophy viewing/storage back in once the launch issues blow over.

pilotfish5296.png

• Like 2

Nope, there is no logical reason why.  The trophy system works fine so long as you never connect to the internet.  I have a PS4 and I'm earning trophies just like I did on the PS3, but if I were to connect to PSN to sync them, the PS4 would disable itself and if I click the trophy tab it tells you to connect to the internet to view them.  That's why I haven't earned a trophy since the PS4 was released, because I can't sync them without disabling my PS4.

The same is true for digital games. They are stored in a tab called the "game library," but if you click that icon while offline it tells you to connect, meaning if you have a slow internet connection you can't take your console to a friend or family member's house to buy games from the PS Store, because once you take your console home they'll be locked into the game library.  Basically it's like Microsoft's "always-on" policy, except it only applies to digital games (thankfully.)

Edited by LiteraryRecluse
  • Like 1

As a sign of my gratitude to all those who have taken time to reply to my posts, I`m currently working on giving all the replies a *LIKE*. but I have a limited amount of likes I can give every day, so I am still working on that. Thanks to all, hope you keep replying my posts in the future, it`s much appreciated!

- Praeditos

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know wether or not PS3 trophies will merge with PS4 trophies for example I have GTAV on ps3 but don't have all the trophies, if I get a PS4 can I get my remainder trophies on PS4 version of GTAV?

This depends on the developer. The way you want Rockstar Games to do the trophy list would be the correct way to do it, but over the past year or two developers have loved making a separate identical trophy list for other platforms, so we're uncertain at the moment what they're actually going to do. Sony doesn't do such a fantastic job at monitoring the trophy list organization for multi-console games...

So basically, it is possible, but it's mainly up to Rockstar Games to implement it properly. Fingers crossed that Rockstar Games will add PS4 to the existing PS3 list! lol

Edited by BlindMango

Does anyone know wether or not PS3 trophies will merge with PS4 trophies for example I have GTAV on ps3 but don't have all the trophies, if I get a PS4 can I get my remainder trophies on PS4 version of GTAV?

There likely will be more information, as the game gets closer to be released.  I know some games you can unlock all trophies (like Sound Shapes), but for other games, you'll have to do single player.  You MP trophies will unlock, however (like Battlefield 4).

Thanks for the replies guys but Im wondering does anyone have a definite answer for example has anyone played Ghosts on PS3 and noticed they can continue the trophy collection on the PS4?

Both versions have separate trophy lists. But like someone has said before, whether or not the PS4 version of GTAV will have it's own separate list is up to the developer.

• 2 years later...

So annoyed right now... Finally i have a PS4 (slim) and i bought Dragon Age Inquisition... which i started on PS3... never finished because i was planing to do so on ps4... Lucky me: two separate trophy lists... i don't have the time or patience to get Platinum two times...wtf... why couldnt all the game be like Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster??? Geeezzzz:facepalm:

• Like 1

On 16.12.2016 at 2:05 AM, Alvaro-M27 said:

So annoyed right now... Finally i have a PS4 (slim) and i bought Dragon Age Inquisition... which i started on PS3... never finished because i was planing to do so on ps4... Lucky me: two separate trophy lists... i don't have the time or patience to get Platinum two times...wtf... why couldnt all the game be like Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster??? Geeezzzz:facepalm:

It's up to the developers, and companies want to make money. When you have more trophylist it isn't affecting "normal gamers", but crazy trophys hunter eg are going to buy it maybe multiple times. SoundShapes is a very famous example for that. :P I know someone who played every Neptunia game three times (West, Korea, Japan), this person is also playing Witcher 3 multiple times. (It has eg two GOTY Editions). But some games don't get rebought just for trophies, it's also a replay value. For example were Assassins Creed II, BH and Rev awesome, but why should I replay them? It's not giving trophies. It's basicly a "waste of time". (Except you're playing Nintendo games. Then it is excused.) But, yay, there is a PS4 Remaster Collection! The best AC games + new trophysets = $PROFIT$

On 12/15/2016 at 6:05 PM, Alvaro-M27 said:

You mean combined trophies? 

Edited by DARKB1KE

• 2 weeks later...