I have the chance to get a PS5 at a not exorbitant price. Should I?

Doomed_Gary

There's a lot of stuff flying around about Sony lately. I'm not going to recap. You're here, you know what going. Shall I? There's not a lot of reason to take the plunge at the moment. The release schedule doesn't look bad... but it doesn't look great either. I want to play the Yuffie DLC, but that's not a system seller. Is there a system seller? What's good coming out this year? When can I get the dumb box if I don't get it now? WHAT DO?

Edited by nyarLOLhotep
  • Like 1

My opinion = don't buy yet.

1. For me, there's no games i HAVE to play (just working on my ps3 & ps4 backlog). When GTA 6 get's a release date, i'll consider jumping on ps5.

2. The problems with drifting and other potential start off illnesses, makes me wanna wait till ps5 slim or pro.

3. The price is too much, even at standard, so buying above that, even by little is not appealing to me. Waiting for a little drop in price, and i don't mind waiting years.

For me, the ps3 is still alive (still need to get RDR1 and GTA IV platinummed), and ps4 i have a backlog too, so i'm not in a hurry to go to a system "upgrade" without titles for me.

• Like 1

If it's RRP, and you are likely to get it at some point anyway, then sure, why not?

I wouldn't pay a penny more than RRP though - there isn't the catalogue yet to justify it, and the PS4 is more than capable of tiding over the time until it is.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I paid 700 euros for my Playstation 5 and I don't want to miss it anymore. I always notice the difference when I switch on my PS 4 Pro again. Unfortunately, I caught one of the somewhat louder consoles, but it's still only about 5% as loud as my PS 4 Pro. It also vibrates, so I made little rubber rings under the fan screws. Unfortunately it didn't do much. And if the consoles are available to buy in the store next year, I'll get a second one anyway, which will hopefully be quieter.

I can finally play games without headphones again and my PS 4 games run smoother and look great. The menu is super fast and there is no stuck anywhere. I would describe the console launch with the clearly too few available units as a failure. But apparently every grandpa and housewife plays today, too, while in my youth every video gamer was viewed by the public as a potential gunman.

Edited by Sikutai

Just now, Sikutai said:

I paid 700 euros for my Playstation 5 and I don't want to miss it anymore. I always notice the difference when I switch on my PS 4 Pro again. Unfortunately, I caught one of the somewhat louder consoles, but it's still only about 5% as loud as my PS 4 Pro. It also vibrates, so I made little rubber rings under the fan screws. Unfortunately it didn't do much. And if the consoles are available to buy in the store next year, I'll get a second one anyway, which will hopefully be quieter.

This is exactly why i'm not in a hurry. I don't wanna pay mad money for a early model with these problems.

And if you haven't played the ps5, you won't know what you're "missing" :)

• Like 1

I'm satisfied with mine, and it has full backwards compatibility so I am not missing anything over my PS4 PRO I sold. I couldn't call out any issues with UI aside from the trophy list being a card system and not a list otherwise it's just a little time to get used to. Astro was a fun game, COD played somewhat better, I couldn't upgrade my SM:MM to the PS5 version for the life of me.

That being said, if you can get one for retail price (my case) I'd definitely get it, for something slightly over.. that is completely your call but I wouldn't since there is no urgency and re-sale people even the mini-scalpers are just trash. More consoles are coming, they will reach the stores just get one there imho.

All the hype-y games are being delayed for the end of 2021 (Horizon, Deathloop, FC6 etc.) Mass Effect and Biomutant are coming out as PS4 games anyway and on indies I don't think there will be much difference for some time to come.

I got lucky getting it the 'regular' way, paid for at the counter. Had I missed it I honestly wouldn't feel compelled to pay anything over the asking price at the store.

• Like 1

I had a regular PS4 so I wanted to upgrade to PS5 even if there aren't a lot of exclusives out for it yet. I bought a 4K 120Hz tv last year especially for this so for me it was worth the upgrade for that alone. I don't have coil whine or any other issues so far.

But after playing on PS5 it would be hard to go back for me, games load so much faster & the dualsense feels much better than the dualshock.

3 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

You must've gotten unlucky on that one, that is one of the most amazing things about mine compared to my Airbus PS4 Proflight that activated neighbor alarms when running RDR2 for example. Anything I've thrown at mine it kept quiet and without issues - RDR2, COD CW, GTA V, TLOU, U4 etc.

I'd say hold off until the games line up gets better, at the earliest this holiday season if there's stock available. I've had my PS5 since launch and I barely play it now, aside from a graphical bump and faster load times, what's the point of owning it if you can play most of the games out right now for it on PS4? I play my PS4 Pro and Vita WAY more than my PS5 by a lot. Plus there really isn't any games out right now that scream "must buy console" that justify spending the $500 if you buy retail (or more if you buy second hand), and if there was you wouldn't be debating on buying one right now. Unless you're one of those people that HAVE to have PS5 to play through your PS4 backlog with all the new bells and whistles, I'd say save your money and just wait it out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomataEighty9 said:

Girlfriend? What's that? a new system? ;)

Something I read about in books, something mystical.

3 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

You must've gotten unlucky on that one, that is one of the most amazing things about mine compared to my Airbus PS4 Proflight that activated neighbor alarms when running RDR2 for example. Anything I've thrown at mine it kept quiet and without issues - RDR2, COD CW, GTA V, TLOU, U4 etc.

I have no Issues with my PS 5, just the Fan is a bit louder than expected and the console is vibrating but i would call it quiet.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 1

If you want to tactically buy in and buy out at a certain time in the consoles life span then it makes sense to ask this question. I'd buy in at around Christmas time this year for some nice bundles. Don't wait for a Pro model you're only kidding yourself if you think they are going to be obtainable the same year they drop. If you're going to buy it and keep it then just purchase the thing, stick it under your TV and enjoy yourself.

Edit: Might be worth me mentioning i was lucky and pre ordered the night the pre orders went live (early by mistake on the retailers side) so i paid retail and picked up a few games. Had a really fun launch week with no issues at all. I could of tripled my money at this point but i also really wanted to have the console so i just kept it. Glad i did as i have had a lot of fun being an early adopter.

Edited by jack_a_snacks
  • Like 2

If you have the money now, just do it. Who knows what the future holds. Shit can be harder to come by due to shortages, more effects caused by this pandemic. They may not even be readily available by the holiday season. Who knows.

as for people not raving about them, whatever..To each their own. I enjoy mine. I also dont play it every day as i work 12hr days 5 days a week. So when I do get those few hours in a week, i thoroughly enjoy it.

Just. Do. It. 

@nyarLOLhotep

24 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

I have no Issues with my PS 5, just the Fan is a bit louder than expected and the console is vibrating but i would call it quiet.

console vibrates? damn.

mine is up standing, its very quiet. I never hear the fans. they spin though. I recall them using 2 types of fans...

also I had random screen to black on starup for all of 2 seconds maybe. TV on..PS5 on. loads up.. UI. black screen 2secs.. back to UI. but its very rare. 

also i do plan to get a second ps5 just for the heck of it. And a Series X. just waiting a year for a 2nd ps5. SXS will be Sept . prob. as for stock issues, it wont be for me :)

Edited by Infected Elite
  • Like 1

I love my PS5.  The PS4 games work fine, the PS4 games with legit PS5 upgrades are a substantial improvement in load times, graphics, performance, etc, and legit PS5 exclusive games (basically just Demon's Souls? and Astro's Playroom?) are pretty amazing to look at and play.  I really have no qualms with all the stuff people take issue with lately big picture with Sony, and the system is whisper quiet (disc reading sounds aside, but it subsides after a few moments and only spins up on rare occasion during play) and UI works fine.  In my mind it's an improvement on the PS4 in every way, and will pay for itself a few times over (in fun) when the next-gen exclusives start to drop over the next few years, regardless when you get it.

That being said... the PS4 games do generally work fine on a PS4, a lot of upcoming games even later this year are making a point to release PS4 versions (likely in part due to the pandemic, shortages and slower integration of PS5's into the userbase), and there probably aren't enough PS5 exclusive games yet to warrant a purchase on that basis alone.  So IMO, right now it boils down to if that big boost to PS4 games is worth it to you.  The PS4 itself will continue to be usable and relevant for longer than the norm most likely, so there's little urgency to upgrade.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nyarLOLhotep said:

There's a lot of stuff flying around about Sony lately. I'm not going to recap. You're here, you know what going. Shall I? There's not a lot of reason to take the plunge at the moment. The release schedule doesn't look bad... but it doesn't look great either. I want to play the Yuffie DLC, but that's not a system seller. Is there a system seller? What's good coming out this year? When can I get the dumb box if I don't get it now? WHAT DO?

Honestly the loading speeds alone are worth it in my opinion, it's night and day.  I haven't even played any PS5 games on mine yet but loading times are a game changer.

It kind of depends on why you want it and how badly you want it tbh. If you only want it for new PS5/new gen stuff, then its probably not worth it rn. Most games available for PS5 are also on PS4. I considered the PS5 an upgrade from my PS4, so I don't mind buying one to play PS4 games on as well. I love the new controller (especially since I've always hated PS3/PS4 controllers) and that actually was a huge benefit to me. PS5 runs better in general as well. 

I'm happy to have one, but like I said, I wasn't really getting it for new gen games. Whether or not its worth it depends on what you want from it I'd say. 

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hearing about how the hardware is functioning out in the wild has been nice. Scarcity being a factor freaking sucks (What is this a Nintendo product? Just kidding Nintendo boys, don't kill me). I normally wouldn't be considering an update this early in a console's life cycle. I suppose that should be my answer. I've been resisting going back and watch preview videos for current/soon to be released games. I'm cynical, but I'm not completely immune to hype.