PS5 now supports 1080p120fps output.

SG-17

One of the features not talked about in the blog that was added with today's firmware update is support for 120fps over 1080p. That means if you have a monitor that is 1080p144hz you can play supported PS5 games in 120fps now.

I just tested it with Rainbow 6 Siege and it works perfectly.

• Like 2

The console has supported 120fps/hz via 1080-2160p since launch, I’ve played BL3, TH1+2, and DMV 5 at 1080/120 via my tv (as it doesn’t support it at a higher resolution).

the toggle they’ve added is supposed to just help if using a monitor that the console doesn’t realise can handle the higher framerate. 

On 4/14/2021 at 3:30 PM, SG-17 said:

It didn't support 120hz over HDMI 1.4, no matter the display, before today from what I understand.

Looking online, that may explain why certain 144hx monitors didn't work at launch with the 120fps modes. Essentially though,  the setting has always been there - it's just been set to auto in the background. The new update just gives us the ability to disable it if the game is auto-enabling it (like in DMC 5).

I have HDMI 2.0 on my TV, so 1080/120 has been there since day one, but if it's now working for people with only 1.4 then that's a cool update - it just wasn't listed as such in the patch notes