DoL/DoH Collectible grinding?

LezardValeth80

7 minutes ago, MakoSOLIDER said:

I'm fairly certain diadem has no collectibles unfortunately. Something we're all also forgetting is that we have no idea what the Island Sanctuary Animal Crossing type content will be like in Endwalker. It could make gathering collectibles easier for all we know and be more fun/rewarding. 

God I hope so. I was imagining it to be farming and such but that probably won't be all. Hopefully we'll get more info during next month's Fan Fest!

Crafting I can handle cause I have something to work towards, but as it stands I don't think I'll be grinding the gathering trophy this expansion, there's just no point beyond the trophy and it's just too much for just that.

• Like 1

You realize they just recently changed the gathering collectable interface to what it is now just a few patches ago. It was meant to make it easier to do a rotation for quality, and it is. 

Do custom deliveries, it's 12/per-week for collectable turn-ins to NPC you can easily always gather more in the vicinity for minimum quantity if you'd like. Second if you don't gather regularly this is your best option because you can get white scrips for little effort, and you can spend that for any materia you need or for i500 gathering gear. Can outfit yourself, and your retainers for practically no gil.

As for crafting, I always got my bulk collectables during ishgard restoration, and made a ton of gil since everyone wanted the lottery stuff like the casual set when that came out. If you are still on the road to level 80, then it's worth doing, not to mention for skybuilders currency.

Ok so I got my ARM to 80 and all my other crafters to 71 by using skybuilder collectible turn ins. I'm just 7 collectibles shy of 1000.

This process bankrupted me though and I started at 2 million. I bought a mount with scrips and am selling it for hopes of some return in gil. 

Once I get the rest to 80, what then? What collectible do I keep crafting that has the best ROI for building up scrips with minimal cost? 

Edited by MakoSOLIDER

Leveling does take some gil if you want to go fast, but on the other hand you can generate gil now as well.

If you don't have the capacity to craft your own gear, I'd compile white scrips so you can buy the current blue i500 tools/gear and then you can craft most current stuff available without having to overmeld and spending into that. Yellow scripts allows you buy master recipe books, and you'll want those to make gil, glam, or whatever you want. Custom deliveries for NPCs are practically free to get both scripts but you get only 12x/week and anything outside of that is normal collectables.

I use a botanist retainer to get me parts for crafting collectibles, allowing any self-gathering to only be collectables. This is how you can double the focus unless you want to spend gil or extra time to gather. Normally I'd use her to get parts for making raid food.

Of course there is the custom deliveries route to craft collectables mentioned earlier. Where you could make say Zhloe's deliveries in Idyllshire for two clicks and throw away what you don't turn in. But there is no benefit to this aside from gil drain. Personally I'd go with the vendor script turn-ins in the lower levels that don't require more than 3-4 cheap parts. It's definitely it's easier to craft for turn-ins than to throw away because you can mass turn-in everything in seconds, and keep chugging. Not to mention a route to making gil.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:33 PM, technole said:

Leveling does take some gil if you want to go fast, but on the other hand you can generate gil now as well.

If you don't have the capacity to craft your own gear, I'd compile white scrips so you can buy the current blue i500 tools/gear and then you can craft most current stuff available without having to overmeld and spending into that. Yellow scripts allows you buy master recipe books, and you'll want those to make gil, glam, or whatever you want. Custom deliveries for NPCs are practically free to get both scripts but you get only 12x/week and anything outside of that is normal collectables.

I use a botanist retainer to get me parts for crafting collectibles, allowing any self-gathering to only be collectables. This is how you can double the focus unless you want to spend gil or extra time to gather. Normally I'd use her to get parts for making raid food.

Of course there is the custom deliveries route to craft collectables mentioned earlier. Where you could make say Zhloe's deliveries in Idyllshire for two clicks and throw away what you don't turn in. But there is no benefit to this aside from gil drain. Personally I'd go with the vendor script turn-ins in the lower levels that don't require more than 3-4 cheap parts. It's definitely it's easier to craft for turn-ins than to throw away because you can mass turn-in everything in seconds, and keep chugging. Not to mention a route to making gil.

So I got all the master recipe books in about 3 hrs or so, got all ilvl500 gear for all crafters and gatherers and now I'm back with Skybuilder stuff because I don't think there's anything else for me to do especially on the gatherer side? I'm realizing the mats for building up enough skybuilder scrips to get the mounts and stuff I want is an insane money sink. Yes, I can sell rewards from kupo fortune and whatnot but I'm definitely feel like I'm losing more than I'm making...

Maybe it's time to pause and just wait for the next expansion...? They'll probably do something like Ishgard restoration again right? 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, SublimeHawk said:

I've been playing for about 7 years but I still haven't unlocked custom deliveries. Can anyone explain how they are unlocked?

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Custom_Deliveries

Endwalker being so much farther away than I thought has made me annoyed. Maybe I will just grind out the rest with collectables to craft and discard because I honestly don't know what else I can work towards with them. Have all the skybuilder mounts I wanted. Have all crafters lvls. Have all master recipes... Now what? 

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2021 at 9:25 AM, MakoSOLIDER said:

I'm fairly certain diadem has no collectibles unfortunately. Something we're all also forgetting is that we have no idea what the Island Sanctuary Animal Crossing type content will be like in Endwalker. It could make gathering collectibles easier for all we know and be more fun/rewarding. 

Yes, but the stuff you gather in Diadem is used for crafting collectibles. The Skybuilders' stuff you craft at Level 20(Alloys, Ink, etc) are all collectibles and you can get max collectability on them with a simple macro if you are Level 60 or higher in your class easily and quickly. You can buy the Skybuilder's approved stuff from the marketboard as people are selling it off for junk.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 1:56 AM, MakoSOLIDER said:

I'm a noob to crafting/gathering. I'm using the ishgard collectibles to level now and I feel like I'll be 80 in all crafters well before 1000 even. I don't think I want to do the grind for the sake of it, but actually do something meaningful. What would be meaningful here once I get my crafters to 80.

As for gatherers...oof I don't even know.

Yeah, that's my plan too. You can buy the Skybuilder's materials for cheap on the marketboard and all but the Acidic Secretions for the Skybuilder's Ink are easily purchased for cheap in guild suppliers. I bought 200 Iron Ore at a time and managed to level up my Armorer and Goldsmith with buying Skybuilders Rank 4 Iron Sand and Iron Ore and then just AFK'd with macro-crafting near the mender in the Firmanent. It took me hours but I managed to get 80-90 collectibles in 30 minutes as long as I kept clicking when the craft finished to continue a new one. Also, repair your gear after a session JIC. I managed to get enough skybuilder scrips for the expensive mounts. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2022 at 11:33 AM, patrahn said:

Hope someone read this: I am not familiar with Skybuilder so: Ive a weaver on level 80 and didnt do anything there before, what is the ,,fastest" way to craft collectibles there for the trophy? A special receipt or so?

Often the fastest way to craft collectibles is to do it for custom deliveries, as the materials are in the same place.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, thought I'd share my TT solution for the crafting collectables:

The quickest way to do this is to synthesize Near Eastern Antiques (level 57), as you can buy the material from a merchant and you otherwise just need crystals. It’s easy to find a guide describing this in detail (see PSN Profiles), so I won’t get into it. What I wanted to add here is an auto-crafting trick so you can AFK this very tedious trophy. 

Make sure you have the PS4 version of FFXIV downloaded and a TURBO controller. Currently, there are no turbo controller options for PS5 games, so you’ll have to have one that works for PS4 and play on the PS4 version. Once you’re set up and have the required crafting materials, follow the steps below.

1. Set your synthesis action (Basic Synthesis or, if that won’t synthesize in one step for you, Muscle Memory) to your cross hotbar on one of the X buttons.

2. Once you’re in the crafting menu and have selected the collectable you want to synthesize, set the X button to turbo (I use pliers or a wrench to keep it pressed). This will automatically go through the menu and start the synthesis.

3. Now this part is a bit tricky. By default, L2/R2 need to be held down to use cross hotbar actions in FFXIV. Hold down whichever one corresponds to your synthesis action, but hold it so that it’s right at the cusp of detecting a press. If done right, the cross hotbar should ‘flicker’, constantly swapping between being activated and not activated. You’ll want to place your L2/R2 button against a book or something, of course.

Since you have X on turbo, you’ll automatically be going through the synthesis menu but still able to use your L2/R2+X action to synthesize because the cross hotbar will flicker (detecting a brief L2/R2 input), long enough to detect your action input. This may be more or less difficult depending on your controller, but will save a ton of time if you can get it to work.

4. Boot up the game on PS5 once you’ve reached 5000 collectables (the in-game achievement tracks it as well) and synthesize one more in order to trigger the trophy and voilà! Here’s a video with my setup and a demonstration. Best of luck!

https://youtu.be/ofKmY-0QjZA

EDIT: Discarding items as your inventory fills up is quite a pain and I'm not aware of a way around it, but it helps to put Discard as the first subcommand for your items. This can be changed in Character Configuration > Item Settings > Subcommand Customization. You'll have to empty your inventory approximately every 10min if the auto-synth is going well, which is a pain, but at least with the synthesizing being AFK, that's 10min you can spend on another task.

Edited by Major_Agnostic

• 1 year later...

Bumping this instead of creating a new topic as there are some pretty good tips in here.

What have people found works quickest for gathering collectables? I have a method that is really easy and can be done by only half paying attention, which is great and allows for easy casual collecting while doing other things like watching a show/movie... but I don't know that it's the best method when I can give my full attention and want to focus on grinding gathering collectables. 

My Method

Personally, I've been fishing for collectability in Coerthas Western Highlands at the Unfrozen Pond at x27.7 y18.4 with the Goblin Jig lure.

The targets are Icepick and Sorcerer Fish, the only two fish that will snag the line before 24 seconds with the lure.

This is my macro:

/micon Cast

/ac Cast <wait.24>

/ac Hook

All fish that try to snag my line up to 24 seconds are collectability, and all fish that aren't collectability bite from 24 and up.

The hook action in my macro set for 24 seconds guarantees my line is pulled up before the non-collectability fish start biting, save for the occasional Albino Octopus that has a chance to bite right at 24 seconds. That's a pretty rare occurrence but can happen. I let the vibration of my controller (both on PC and PS5, whatever I feel like at the time) tell me when something hooks so that I can quickly manually hook the fish in without really paying attention to the screen. They have a chance to bite as early as 15 seconds, and will only stay on the line for like 4 seconds before getting away, so there needs to be a manual hook most of the time. The auto-hook from the macro is just to avoid the non-collecatbility fish. 

I haven't seen any other fishing spots where I can have this lackadaisical approach for 8,000 casts. All through Heavensward and Stormblood collectable fish have non-collectable fish sharing bite timers and depending on the bait only have a single collectable fish at many of the fishing spots. Unfrozen Pond is just the easiest approach as you can use a lure to catch two collectable fish with no others really standing in the way with a lure instead of consumable bait.

I usually try to shoot for 100 fish a day, which is generally achieved in around an hour or less. Still, that's 80 hours total of fishing across 80 days if starting from scratch. Quite the grind, so I was hoping to hear from anyone about a faster method for gathering. Doesn't have to be fishing!

Disposing of collectability items

I see a lot of people saying it's a pain to manually delete all of the collectability items one by one. With these collectable fish, 100% of them are accepted by the collectability appraisers... is that not the case for baseline collectability for the other gathering classes or crafting items? I just dump them all very quickly at the appraiser and then spend the scrips on Hi-Cordials so that I don't have a secondary prompt that I'm going to lose scrips for being at cap. I have nearly 1,000 Hi-Cordials now, haha...

I just got my miner to level 50 and the guide says you can start gathering right away 

Are there any spots that don't disappear that I can just ran back and forth from to make it quicker, literally just waited a while in one spot and ended up getting 3 collectibles, waiting around like this it will take forever to get 8000