What do you think about the pins of this Vita card?

YonahFuriae

I was looking for sd cards since mine is just 8GB and wanted to upgrade since forever, and found a 64gb one on my town that I can get tomorrow on hand for 55€, he says it works and it's like new but just look at the pins:

Spoiler

KCTKb49.jpg

I took out mine to check and it's like it was the first day when I got the Vita on 2012, but that looks like it has undergone a pretty rough treatment. I don't understand how people can mess up things so bad, especially a SD that is supposed to be on the console. I really don't understand how you can do that without it being totally intentional. So what do you think about it? Will the state of the pins give trouble?

Edited by YonahFuriae

I don't see the pins themselves on the memory card giving any problems, but the 64 Gb cards are notoriously unreliable. Pins can take quite a beating as they've got a broad contact zone and the contacts in the Vita do their thing pretty well, as long as nothing jammed in there and bends the contacts. 

13 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I don't see the pins themselves on the memory card giving any problems, but the 64 Gb cards are notoriously unreliable. Pins can take quite a beating as they've got a broad contact zone and the contacts in the Vita do their thing pretty well, as long as nothing jammed in there and bends the contacts. 

Thanks! What do you mean 64gb ones being unreliable? Should I get a 32gb instead? They're at the same price, he's selling it pretty cheap but didn't know 64gb ones could give any problem.

1 minute ago, YonahFuriae said:

Thanks! What do you mean 64gb ones being unreliable? Should I get a 32gb instead? They're at the same price, he's selling it pretty cheap but didn't know 64gb ones could give any problem.

I'd recommend the 32 Gb instead. There was a rash of people posting here and on other sites that the 64 Gb cards just stop responding unexpectedly and there was no recovering them after that. I haven't purchased one myself, I only have a 4 Gb, and 8 Gb, a 16 Gb, and a 32Gb. Three of those since launch and they're all still working perfectly. I wouldn't trust a 64 Gb based on people's experiences they've shared online.

I have been researching about this, and often you find the message "If you think about it, only people who have a failure complain, yet for people who it works they won't comment or open a post saying my 64GB sd works fine" and that's totally right, based on that, the number of failures is in fact pretty low.

For a more concrete evidence not based on opinions or perception, this is a pretty nice thread they made testing all the cards and their failure rate, the rate is barely the same for all of them:

It might be helpful to help people decide now that the SD cards will have a sale boost due to the stores closing down. Tomorrow I'll see the card in person, and if the pins are fine and don't have any issue when I test on my Vita I'll seal the deal.

Edited by YonahFuriae
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

They're also horrendously expensive. I just settled with a 16 GB card. I'm glad I picked up my memory card and PS Vita back when they were still reasonably priced.

Edited by AJ_Radio

So as planned I purchased it yesterday, this is a comparison between mine and the 64gb one I purchased:

Here's a picture of the 64gb one with my phone:

Spoiler

SHqeJPr.jpg

And the 8gb one which I own since I got the Vita around 2012, I haven't take out a single time since then, as you just need the cable to move stuff or do backups, and only used my EU account:

Spoiler

Mql4u9e.jpg

The 64gb memory certainly doesn't look as bad as in the owner image, it's even hard to see these marks with the naked eye, and probably I was over reacting, maybe these are just normal when you take it in and out as the memory works perfectly. Meet him yesterday and bring my Vita to test it, then at home I downloaded 30GB of games and DLC, probably won't need much more, only left to download is Atelier Plus that are only digital and Night Cry, since I mainly buy physical.

So after a day downloading stuff and playing I can say it works great so I'm pretty happy with the deal, never saw a 64gb one for 55€, which is more or less the price of a 32gb one, and crazier yet it was just in my town.

Edited by YonahFuriae