In your opinion, what is the Hardest Platinum

DarQMassacres

2 hours ago, Shiraishi Urara said:

Badland is equal as bad as just like Crypt of the Necrodancer.

the difficulty of badland is the coop trophies, I just need the trophies for 300 missions and 2000 saved clones. I almost reached the mark of 120 coop missions using two simultaneous controls but at that point I gave up, the other coop trophies I managed to get all but were really difficult, the solo missions are a walk in the park near the coop mode. if it weren't for the coop playthrough for sure this platinum would not be one of the rarest existing. Crypt of the NecroDancer at least does not require a partner. (I am willing to do the coop missions in shareplay someday, but it will be hard work to do it twice lol)

47 minutes ago, maurjen said:

Any games that has Permadeath and Big grindy Multiplayer

Why not both!? ? 

in a serious note, is there a game that has both? I don't remember any haha

Gran Turismo 5 must be in the top 10, my friend got the world record here on this site and also got platinum on Lost Planet 2 which also looks very complicated, but I don't know how difficult this one is. Games that don't have platinum but were extremely difficult for me were the Capcom Arcade Cabinet Collection and Retro/Grade, both for PS3.

2 hours ago, yuber1234 said:

Not sure which game I would say is the most challenging, but Red Dead Redemption 1 was easily the most tedious platinum I completed.

- Trophies based heavily on RNG

- Online trophies, one of which requires 8 people (seriously WTF)

- A large number of fetch quests

I didn't even feel the sense of pride that comes with getting a tough platinum. I was just so happy to move on.

And I hear the second game is far worse.

I enjoyed getting 100% of the campaign, the online trophies were easy because it was the time of the game's explosion so I didn't have to try too hard. The single player was great, but I was a kid so I may be being deceived by nostalgia

1 hour ago, Folgers101 said:

There are youtube videos that do a "top ten hardest platinum of year ____" those are fun to watch

these videos are always inaccurate, always confuse laborious and time-consuming with difficulty. the last one I saw listed AC Odyssey as difficult for "taking about 150 hours". wtf?

I've no idea why the actual 'hardest platinum' out there is...:hmm:

...my gut instinct is to say Crypt of the Necrodancer, as that one is notorious - although, it's more likely that it is not so much the definitive 'hardest platinum', but rather the 'hardest platinum that is also a great game' - I doubt the reason we all hear about it is purely the difficulty, it is the difficulty combined with it being good enough and fun enough that people keep on trying to beat it and keep talking about it.

From a personal standpoint, the hardest ones I found were Nex Machina, Dead Cells, Rogue Legacy and Lumines Remastered, and the hardest of them would be a toss-up, depending on the day and my mood ?

To be honest, I might even throw Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice in there. I found that one really tough - much more so than any previous souls game, but I think that was just a personal hurdle of mine - most others seem to find it pretty much en-par with the other souls games.

• Like 3

I think it might be quite difficult to say an overall hardest plat ever unless you’ve got knowledge on all kinds of video games. But from what I’ve played, I’d say something like WipEout HD Fury. The Elite tracks are no joke and there’s so many of them, let alone the time trial. It involves such a time investment that I doubt I’ll ever be as good as I was. I played the whole game with a third party controller too! 3 drifting official controllers will do that to a person.

From what I have, Super Meat Boy for obvious reasons. You all know why it's hard. Will never touch Crypt of the Necrodancer, I will probably die of a heart attack before I ever get that platinum.

The one game alluding me that is horrendously annoying is DOOM II. That Nightmare Co-Op trophy can suck a big fat one. Shame on the trophy designers for putting such a stupid trophy for an old game dating back to 1994.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 4

Now the hardest platinum is the game that has as many of these factors as possible

------------------

(1) Raw dexterity skill

Gameplay that can't be cheated, cheezed, easily boosted (or at all), save state scummed etc (and has a bit of RNG init) (Fall Guys, bullet hell games with random bullets(patterns you can't easily learn))

(2) Length

If a hard platinum is also a long one, something like hundreds or thousands you're looking at something which can't be knocked out over a day/weekend (Crypt Of The Necromancer, White Knight Chronicles)

(3) Game genre variety

If your game is an adventure game but it has hard mini games (theoretically making it several games instead one one) then you're in for a tougher time. (Yakuza games)

(4) External factors out of your control (Also includes human suffering)

This could involve a fair few things, but is mostly related to dumb luck and things that are often not possible to predict

- Events, if doing something requires a times event set on a server somewhere and you can't make it (A good example is Pokemon GO, I mean if you can't physically get to a location in your country, that's an alternate form of difficulty) (Games that have daily requests where you need to play everyday etc)

- Obscure peripheral (There is that one random VR cycling game that requires you to buy a full size expensive bicycle)

Human suffering :-

- High levels of grinding

- Random physics tied to gameplay (Pain,Trash Panic PS3)

- Savedata becoming randomly corrupted losing progress/online save data having an issue, glitchy save data which you don't realise until too late (Dead Island/Riptide)

- Buggy/glitchy trophies/games that require multiple attempts in order to somehow achieve them (That old game Leisure Luit Larry on PS3)

- Online variability (if you have a shit connection or can't get online or a server/netcode on a game is bad, good example is TIR trophies in Dead Rising 2)

- Other players (Easy example Fall Guy, you could play flawlessly but still lose due to other people playing better/other people in your team playing bad)

9 hours ago, DarQMassacres said:

2. Attacking Zegeta 2 - A game so hard/confusing that no one has even got a single trophy in it yet. Some say the trophies are impossible, I say we just haven't discovered enough of the game yet.

Attacking Zegeta is not a hard game, it's a broken game with impossible game mechanics.

If I made a game that has a door on Stage 1 that you can't open, that's just broken game design. Nothing to do with difficulty.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

Terraria is by far the hardest platinum I have. It took me about 135 hours. The very last thing I needed for the platinum is an item that has a less than 1% drop chance, from the 2nd hardest boss in the game that you can only fight for 9 minutes during the ingame night time and it only spawns just over once per minute. I killed just shy of 1,200 of them and it took about 50 hours before it finally dropped. Hate RNG so much. There is an item that drops from slimes, the easiest mob, that has a 1 in 10,000 drop chance and I got 3 in a row on the first 3 slimes I killed. God damn RNG.

I haven't personally played anything brutally difficult, yet. I've heard much about Crypt of The Necrodancer and Super Meat Boy. Also Trackmania Turbo. So I guess those games are up there.

I'm planning on starting Thumper, which I've heard is fairly tough w/o VR (how I'll be playing). I'd also like to platinum Cuphead. To be fair both of these are jokes compared to some of the games being talked about in this thread. I would like to go for Super Meat Boy and the Wolfenstein games in the future, including Wolfenstein II with the notorious Mein Leiben trophy.

I do like a challenge with video games to be honest. Not sure if I could handle ridiculously hard platinums though.

2 minutes ago, FierceMetal said:

I haven't personally played anything brutally difficult, yet.

Don't do yourself dirty - you've got Sekiro and Titanfall 2 at 100%, and those games are no joke and have some real tough nuts to crack in their lists ?

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

Human suffering :-

Wait - if that counts, I'm changing my answer - definitely Space Overlords then!  ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Don't do yourself dirty - you've got Sekiro and Titanfall 2 at 100%, and those games are no joke and have some real tough nuts to crack in their lists 1f44d.png

Thanks man! Your Trophy Cabinet is awesome. You have some really nice completions dude. How did you find Cuphead? Just seen its on sale and think I'm gonna pick it up. Looks really fun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FierceMetal said:

Thanks man! Your Trophy Cabinet is awesome. You have some really nice completions dude. How did you find Cuphead? Just seen its on sale and think I'm gonna pick it up. Looks really fun.

I liked Cuphead.... enough.

I thought it was maybe a little overhyped - The art is truly astounding, and goes a long way to carrying some of the gameplay - which is pretty fun, but can be a little repetitive at times.

It's a fun plat generally though.

The thing that I didn't particularly like about it was the balancing for Co-Op.

Granted, most folks won't be playing that way, so it won't be an issue, but I bought it specifically to play co-op with my wife, but the game rebalances everything when there is 2 players, and I think it was done to far too great an extent.

The game is fairly tricky in single player, but absolutely brutal in co-op - unless both players are at tip-top levels, and know the game inside out independently, they aren't going to get anywhere, so it was a bust for playing through first time and discovering it as a 2-person team.

Still, it's a game worth supporting, and a nice plat to have....

good luck when you do - that final boss fight is a real tough one!

• Like 1

I think without a doubt, the hardest platinum trophy to achieve on PlayStation would be Crypt of the Necrodancer.

I’ve never played it myself, or any similar type of rhythm game, but when you watch videos and understand the basic rules of how it works, it will absolutely blow your mind as you process the level of pure skill required. I have massive respect and awe for anyone who platinumed this bad boy!

8 hours ago, kevao97 said:

Why not both!? 1f606.png 

in a serious note, is there a game that has both? I don't remember any haha

Max Payne 3 comes to mind!

All I’ve got left is the NYMHC mode and the grind to level 50. While I’m actually looking forward to attempting the former because I love the story mode so much, it’s the MP grind that has had me putting off finishing this game for months now. Doing it efficiently is particularly brutal, and requires playing the same chapter over and over on Score Attack mode over 600 times, which is over 30 hours of completely mind numbing, soul crushing tedium. 

Edited by dieselmanchild

There are games that I've heard that are really hard to get platinum trophy from like Necromancer, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, FF9, I haven't played them yet, they're on my "todo" list. Personally, I remember Titan Fall 2 which required a lot of my time and concentration. And 2 games that I did not manage to get platinum trophy because of the difficulty of 1 last trophy : dead space 2 and Vanquish. But that was a time i was less tenacious at the time.

Edited by ID_FRANCE

Obviously it has to be Crypt of the Necrodancer, I really can't think of any other game that would come close to it's Platinum difficulty.

Judging from the games I've played myself, I'd say it's Assetto Corsa. This game is absolutely brutal and you have to be a racing legend to get it's trophies. Definetly the hardest game I have in my list and will also never get the plat for it.

I don't think you can definitively state the hardest platinum. I probably haven't played any insanely hard games by most peoples standards since I don't have the usual suspects. From what I have played I don't think you can argue about Guitar Hero Van Halen. PS3 has a ton of insanely difficult games, I'm surprised how little appreciation there is from the PS3 era. If you put them side by side, I would argue PS3 is just as difficult as PS4.

14 hours ago, DarQMassacres said:

1. Neverwinter - there is a trophy for Killing 1000 Dragons, which on the surface doesn't sound too bad, but it's actually a multiple hour endgame grind on top of the already long grind of getting to endgame and doing the rest of the trophies in this MMORPG.

Yeah, definitely not hard, but Christ.... I've no idea how many damn dragons I've killed. It's soul destroying for sure! I got back to it once a month and try to knock out another 50 or so. Then I find something more fun to do, like pouring bleach into my eyes.

Fighting games are hard and challenging in general, also sports games tend to be heavily attach to versus modes and PVP, so basically any game that features a large multiplayer/online modes can be considered as hard platinum. but I think it's more on the developers side, because Wolfenstein 2 is nowhere near as the others in the series, in terms of difficulty.

• Like 1

For me, on my own personal list, its definitely Monster Hunter World. 

Its not difficult in the traditional sense but it is very mentally challenging and exhausting. I had to have numerous breaks and breathers for that game.

Worlds most boring platinum is definitely Wolfenstein Young Blood.

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I think without a doubt, the hardest platinum trophy to achieve on PlayStation would be Crypt of the Necrodancer.

I’ve never played it myself, or any similar type of rhythm game, but when you watch videos and understand the basic rules of how it works, it will absolutely blow your mind as you process the level of pure skill required. I have massive respect and awe for anyone who platinumed this bad boy!

Max Payne 3 comes to mind!

All I’ve got left is the NYMHC mode and the grind to level 50. While I’m actually looking forward to attempting the former because I love the story mode so much, it’s the MP grind that has had me putting off finishing this game for months now. Doing it efficiently is particularly brutal, and requires playing the same chapter over and over on Score Attack mode over 600 times, which is over 30 hours of completely mind numbing, soul crushing tedium. 

my god, how could i forget. yes, max payne! it was my platinum #77, you repeat that damn chapter about a thousand times. my friend got a faster way to level up through boosting kills in multiplayer, i wasn't so lucky. nymhc is a paradise close to that. if you need tips and tricks for max payne call me, i know the game like the back of my hand.

Sonic Unleashed is a surprisingly difficult one, those Eggmanland hot dogs misson are pure Hell. Ninja Gaiden games are also some unforgivable and rage inducing games to get the plat.

I've heard the horrors of Crypt of The Necrodancer and Super Meat Boy, never in my life I would chase those plat trophies lol.

• Like 3

As always, difficulty is something objective as everyone has different skill levels in different genres. Of course you see the same few games being tossed around on here, a la Super Meat Boy and Crypt of the Necrodancer, which comes as no surprise! Here are my top 3 from personal experience that I can recall from recent times:

1. Super Meat Boy
  2. Flame Over
  3. I am Bread

SMB just requires an incredible amount of patience and practice. Flame Over is one where skill + RNG luck are needed to come out on top!! I am Bread... that one is just tricky on so many different levels, mostly due to the wonky and unconventional controls across several different game modes! That's just me personally tho, I'm sure there were others who didn't struggle nearly as much as I did with said games.