In your opinion, what is the Hardest Platinum

DarQMassacres

53 minutes ago, mataningo said:

Fighting games are hard and challenging in general, also sports games tend to be heavily attach to versus modes and PVP, so basically any game that features a large multiplayer/online modes can be considered as hard platinum.

actually, I want to amend my answer to what ^this guy said.

That’s absolutely right - there is no PvE game that could ever be as hard as a game where you have to beat other players, because other players will always adapt and get better, right along with you - and if the game is well made, and allows for a high (or infinite) skill ceiling like a fighting game, then they are defacto the ‘hardest’ to platinum - particularly if you are coming late to the party.

Boosting notwithstanding, even games like Crypt and SMB can be ‘learned’ to some extent.

In a fighting game though? 
You aren’t learning the game, you are learning the player - and there will always be a better one out there ?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

actually, I want to amend my answer to what ^this guy said.

That’s absolutely right - there is no PvE game that could ever be as hard as a game where you have to beat other players, because other players will always adapt and get better, right along with you - and if the game is well made, and allows for a high (or infinite) skill ceiling like a fighting game, then they are defacto the ‘hardest’ to platinum - particularly if you are coming late to the party.

Boosting notwithstanding, even games like Crypt and SMB can be ‘learned’ to some extent.

In a fighting game though? 
You aren’t learning the game, you are learning the player - and there will always be a better one out there 1f602.png

Agreed with @DrBloodmoney and @mataningo... While single player games can be challenging, you can eventually learn them well with enough practice. There are few things in gaming that compare to say, being a defenseless Survivor and trying to outsmart the Killer on Dead by Daylight (or vice versa playing as the Killer), or trying your best to survive through an MP match on Call of Duty and the like! Those are without a doubt the truest challenges in gaming.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

my god, how could i forget. yes, max payne! it was my platinum #77, you repeat that damn chapter about a thousand times. my friend got a faster way to level up through boosting kills in multiplayer, i wasn't so lucky. nymhc is a paradise close to that. if you need tips and tricks for max payne call me, i know the game like the back of my hand.

Congrats man! It’s a very impressive plat and one I hope to add to my collection in the future. I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately and thinking I should just start setting aside an hour or two per day for the lvl 50 grind now so I am at least making progress again.

I did have a couple groups that experimented with boosting kills and in theory, it was a great method for XP. The only problem is that it’s not really viable unless you have a bunch of alt accounts or friends willing to spend their time boosting kills for you without anything in return.

In a regular boosting group, you might get a hundred kills and a crap ton of XP in a single match when it’s your turn, but then you spend the next 7 rounds completely idle helping other players when it’s their turn. In the long run this means vastly less XP/hour than just running Score Attack solo. ☹️

And thank you, I just might take you up on that some time! I am a regular lurker in the NYMHC fails thread and love reading and studying people’s attempts at the run and soaking up everything they learned. I’m pretty confident I will be able to pull it off, it’s just a matter of setting aside the time to live & breathe this game again until I do. I’d like to finish the multiplayer first though before I attempt it, because once those MP trophies are out of the way I know I’ll never be locked out of the platinum.

These have been hands-down the hardest for me personally in order of difficulty. I'm generally basing this on the fact that all three have difficulty/play modes that demand a considerable amount of focus, memory, timing and good reaction speed.

1. Wolfenstein 2
  2. Outlast 2
  3. The Evil Within

For me the hardest game iv'e platted would be Modern Warfare 2 because of the spec ops missions, and some of the veteran mode is bs. My rarest is Mortal Kombat X, but that wasn't hard just grindy. I should probably start going after more harder plats.

46 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Congrats man! It’s a very impressive plat and one I hope to add to my collection in the future. I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately and thinking I should just start setting aside an hour or two per day for the lvl 50 grind now so I am at least making progress again.

I did have a couple groups that experimented with boosting kills and in theory, it was a great method for XP. The only problem is that it’s not really viable unless you have a bunch of alt accounts or friends willing to spend their time boosting kills for you without anything in return.

In a regular boosting group, you might get a hundred kills and a crap ton of XP in a single match when it’s your turn, but then you spend the next 7 rounds completely idle helping other players when it’s their turn. In the long run this means vastly less XP/hour than just running Score Attack solo. 2639.png

And thank you, I just might take you up on that some time! I am a regular lurker in the NYMHC fails thread and love reading and studying people’s attempts at the run and soaking up everything they learned. I’m pretty confident I will be able to pull it off, it’s just a matter of setting aside the time to live & breathe this game again until I do. I’d like to finish the multiplayer first though before I attempt it, because once those MP trophies are out of the way I know I’ll never be locked out of the platinum.

my advice is to finish the trophies online as soon as possible, especially when it comes to how things are currently on PS3. the xp method per kills was a great luck that my friend had, we were boosting specifically for the dlcs, but everyone had already obtained the platinum except him. so, as we were busy with dlcs, after the trophies we see no problems in helping him with the level :) he even got one of the best times in the world, 11 days platinum + 100% if I'm not mistaken. wolfstein 2 was particularly much more difficult for me, i don't know if you got mein leben but if you did, you definitely can do max payne 3. wolfstein 2 there are no margins for mistakes, in Max Payne you have more linear scenarios and enemies and patterns; wolf2 just doesn't care about standards and there is no last chance, it is extremely frustrating and at the moment I am taking a break from trying. I say that you can get max payne, but for that you need a high dose of focus and daily/weekly attempts for a period

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

In a regular boosting group, you might get a hundred kills and a crap ton of XP in a single match when it’s your turn, but then you spend the next 7 rounds completely idle helping other players when it’s their turn. In the long run this means vastly less XP/hour than just running Score Attack solo. 2639.png

Rank 50 doesn't need to bother you that much. the way to go is definitely doing chapter 4 over and over again. trading kills online will take longer and imo doesn't really help you that much, if you want to help a friend out, sure trade kills with him, but it's not effective.

4 hours ago, LancashireLad87 said:

I don't think you can definitively state the hardest platinum. I probably haven't played any insanely hard games by most peoples standards since I don't have the usual suspects. From what I have played I don't think you can argue about Guitar Hero Van Halen. PS3 has a ton of insanely difficult games, I'm surprised how little appreciation there is from the PS3 era. If you put them side by side, I would argue PS3 is just as difficult as PS4.

Guitar Hero Smash Hits is harder IMO because you had to play the hardest sections of certain songs on Expert perfectly.  That or Green Day Rock Band.  Those challenges gave me nightmares because I constantly missed a note lol

Edited by grimydawg___

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

To be honest, I might even throw Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice in there. I found that one really tough - much more so than any previous souls game, but I think that was just a personal hurdle of mine - most others seem to find it pretty much en-par with the other souls games.

I totally agree with you on the personal hurdle with Sekiro. It kicked my ass way more than any other Soulsborne game. From Software is probably my favorite developer and I have tons of hours in all of their previous modern games (except Demon’s Souls). I actually think having that experience with their other games makes for a harder learning curve with Sekiro. If you’re a seasoned Soulsborne player then your natural instincts are to time your dodges to avoid enemy attacks. While in Sekiro you do have a dodge you can use, it has significantly reduced i-frames compared to the other games. It’s not really possible to consistently dodge attacks in that game. They force you to learn the timing of deflections. They’ve always had a parry system but most players don’t engage with those too frequently in the other games. I think if you didn’t have experience with the other games then you’d be more open to learning to play the way Sekiro wants you to out of the gate. 

In response to the actual thread though, my personal hardest was Wolfenstein II. I have to agree with what others have said on the top overall hardest platinums. Crypt of the NecroDancer has to be at the top. Then based on my understanding Street Fighter IV is one of the hardest fighting games, Assetto Corsa is one of the hardest racing games, and Super Meat Boy is one of the hardest platformers. I don’t personally think that super grindy platinums which take 100s of hours should be considered hard if most of that time is spent doing mindless stuff. Like everyone has the skill to platinum Fortnite, it’s just a question of whether you want to spend such a large chunk of your free time doing boring, menial crap. I think difficulty and time required should be separated when appropriate. But that’s just my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevao97 said:

my advice is to finish the trophies online as soon as possible, especially when it comes to how things are currently on PS3. the xp method per kills was a great luck that my friend had, we were boosting specifically for the dlcs, but everyone had already obtained the platinum except him. so, as we were busy with dlcs, after the trophies we see no problems in helping him with the level :) he even got one of the best times in the world, 11 days platinum + 100% if I'm not mistaken. wolfstein 2 was particularly much more difficult for me, i don't know if you got mein leben but if you did, you definitely can do max payne 3. wolfstein 2 there are no margins for mistakes, in Max Payne you have more linear scenarios and enemies and patterns; wolf2 just doesn't care about standards and there is no last chance, it is extremely frustrating and at the moment I am taking a break from trying. I say that you can get max payne, but for that you need a high dose of focus and daily/weekly attempts for a period

Yeah this is the plan. I just want to get it over with so I don’t miss out on a chance at the platinum. I’ve got all the other trophies including the DLCs already so I just have to find the motivation to grind out lvl 50 and I won’t have to worry about that anymore.

I haven’t bought Wolfenstein 2 yet let alone attempted Mein Leben! I’ve seen half a dozen of my friends go through the process of obtaining that trophy and it looks pretty stressful and difficult! MP3 is kinda like a mini Mein Leben so I’d rather start with that and see if I can pull it off before even thinking about the Wolfenstein 2 platinum. Regardless though, I need to get around to playing that sooner than later.. those Wolfenstein games are so awesome! And after I hit my long term goals of 200 plats/10k trophies, I want to start shifting my focus towards bagging some more challenging games to add to my collection. ?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 2

It's not a platinum, so I'm kind of cheating throwing this in there, but Brain Breaker is pretty insane for one trophy.  Getting a score of 200 in Insane mode, where you have a 3 way split screen and you have to use two buttons to control what is happening on all three screens, that is, 2 different buttons for each of the three screens.  Then throw in disappearing items to deal with.  Only 1 person has the 100% in that game.  And they have it in both the NA and EU version!  

• Like 1

If you want to count "time consuming massive grind" as hard, then look no farther than White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2. They're MMO-esque games, so they're already grindy and time consuming by design, but the online servers have been shutdown for years, making the grind that much worse. Expect to dedicate hundreds of hours to finishing each of them.

According to the trophy guides found on playstationtrophies.org, expect 600+ hours for the first game, and 500-1000 for the second.

Kudos to anyone who's crazy enough to attempt them in offline mode. I consider myself a bit of a trophy masochist, I've even platinumed a few games already mentioned in this thread, but I know where my plateau is and WKC is far above it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Max Payne 3 comes to mind!

All I’ve got left is the NYMHC mode and the grind to level 50. While I’m actually looking forward to attempting the former because I love the story mode so much, it’s the MP grind that has had me putting off finishing this game for months now. Doing it efficiently is particularly brutal, and requires playing the same chapter over and over on Score Attack mode over 600 times, which is over 30 hours of completely mind numbing, soul crushing tedium. 

You can do it. Which reminds me, I may do a casual run of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. 

Take a break and play other games when need be. Come back and tackle Max Payne 3 again when you’re ready.

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

I just have to find the motivation to grind out lvl 50 and I won’t have to worry about that anymore.

This is one of my last multiplayer games on PS3, and I feel the same as you. I've done some mind-numbing grinds before, but something about MP3 just puts me off after an hour. I'm doing my best to prioritize level 50 so I don't regret having it incomplete if the servers decide to go down without notice.

One thing I'll mention (which is probably in every guide, but I was too stupid to look) is you must be signed into PSN (and the R* servers) for XP to count towards your profile. I spent about 15 hours doing it offline thinking I only had to play one multiplayer match after I was max level to pop the trophy only to realize none of it counted.

It's Crypt of the Necrodancer

As for the hardest plat I've personally ever gotten, I think the Kingdom Hearts 3 dlc was the most consistently challenging thing I've ever done. The boss fights in the dlc are perfect unlike any game's bosses I've ever fought, only second to KH2 data fights made by the same team. But the base game plat is a joke, such is life. 

Hardest plats:

Kyurinaga's Revenge

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Ikaruga

Time Recoil Vita (0 achievers...)

Assetto Corsa

Polybius

Hardest 100%

TxK

VVVVVV

Tetris Ultimate (both)

Many bullet hell shooters will fall into this too (Raiden IV, Darius Burst, Sine Mora (on the Vita this one should be a peach...)) because the concept of the game is precisely that, unforgiving hell, but probably Ikaruga takes the crown.

16 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

You can do it. Which reminds me, I may do a casual run of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. 

Take a break and play other games when need be. Come back and tackle Max Payne 3 again when you’re ready.

Have fun! And yeah this is exactly what I’ve been doing. I already sunk a few dozen hours into MP3 playing the campaign 4-5 times for trophies, and then doing all the multiplayer and DLC trophies online.

Once I hit the really big grind for level 50, I just kinda lost a bit of motivation. My trophy output was dipping badly and I just really wanted to get to some other games and keep up my progress towards 200 plats (which I now achieved, yay). I expect to return to it pretty soon as I wrap up some of the other games I’m working on right now.

15 hours ago, Helyx said:

This is one of my last multiplayer games on PS3, and I feel the same as you. I've done some mind-numbing grinds before, but something about MP3 just puts me off after an hour. I'm doing my best to prioritize level 50 so I don't regret having it incomplete if the servers decide to go down without notice.

One thing I'll mention (which is probably in every guide, but I was too stupid to look) is you must be signed into PSN (and the R* servers) for XP to count towards your profile. I spent about 15 hours doing it offline thinking I only had to play one multiplayer match after I was max level to pop the trophy only to realize none of it counted.

Yeah I’ve done some really mind numbing online grinds myself, including a handful that were well over the 30 or so hours needed to reach lvl 50 on MP3. But none of them were really that bad. MP3 is a particularly brutal slog for some reason.

Like you though, the thought of the servers going down unexpectedly and locking me out of the platinum is always a paranoid thought in the back of my mind. I know I would deeply regret it if this happened, so I need to just finally commit to it and get it done. Once I’m over that hump the rest should be enjoyable!

Thanks for that tip btw. Luckily I discovered this myself early on. I can’t even imagine how demotivating it would be spending all that time replaying Ch. 4 for absolutely nothing lmao. 

• Like 1

Yakuza Kiwami.The real challenge isn't get 100% completition or complete Haruka EX quest but the car chase sequence after the Boss Battle.It was insane.Also if you fail you need to restart before the boss battle.An onorable mention is Judgment.I love Drone racing but both that and Puyo Puyo makes 100% completition really challenging.Also in this game you can't spam weapons and It is a showcase of skill even if EX and heat give you an huge help.

I don't considered games like Bloodborne or Nioh(i have played both)because with co-op you can deal with them,especially the first one.

If Crash requires platinum relics for the platinum i would probably choose it.

Naughty games can be also fun and challenging.Uncharted and TLOU at the highest difficulty requires knowledge and skills.

I didn't play Hollow Night yet and after i play it maybe i will change my opinion.

Edited by TrafalgarWarGrey

On 15.4.2021 at 5:03 AM, Shiraishi Urara said:

Badland is equal as bad as just like Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Cannot really agree, but maybe I‘m just lucky to have found an exceptionally good coop buddy @Eqill5. Imo badland is all about patience and dedication (as many other rare plats, obviously.)

However, it is nowhere near the difficulty of games like Wolfenstein 2, Super Meat Boy, Cloudberry Kingdom and of course Crypt of the Necrodancer :) just my opinion.

Edited by Jasko_SOA
  • Like 1

I was just going to vote for Wolfenstein 2 because it's so long and you can't die, but other games have had good cases made for them as well. I don't know anything about Crypt of the Necrodancer but everyone keeps saying it's the hardest. Super Meat Boy looks very tough as well. 

I actually have the Next Machina plat, which I'm surprised to see people saying is one of the hardest. I thought Matterfall was harder because of Master mode with revenge bullets; I never platinumed that...

• Like 1