Looking for fun and challenging platinum suggestions?

Metal

Hey people! As the title suggests - I'm looking for recommendations for games that kick your ass but have fun gameplay. I recently had a birthday so I've got a little birthday wedge to treat myself to a few new games. I haven't had a bunch of time to game this year and gaming time is still limited more than I would like it to be. So definitely not looking for games with a huge grind involved. 

I've recently picked up Cuphead and Thumper. Are there more games quite similar to these? In the way of not being huge time sinks (skill dependant ofcourse) but have a good challenge to them to in order get the platinum. 

If it helps at all: I love games where a big part of the gameplay loop is constantly restarting to get the perfect run or nail a tricky section (what's wrong with me lol), definitely need more of that haha. I also love games with retro vibes. For me, boss fights, gameplay and then story in that order, are the kind of games I dig the most.

I came across a thread on here earlier that has given me the itch to have my ass handed to me lol. Not looking for extremely difficult stuff, just good old hard but fun games. I'd like to get to 20 platinums this year, hopefully. Would be cool to have a few to be proud of along the way.

Thanks in advance for any replies! 

• Like 1

Lbf80d1.png

I fucking loved this - it's tough, but not too tough, and run based, but never too repetitive, due to the incredible levels of variety

One of my games of the generation - i'll just copy paste my little status update write up thingy here rather than rehashing it?:

Looking at the trophy list after starting this game up, I had expected this one to take a very long time, but the more I played of this fantastic game, the more I just wanted to play more!
I can sort of understand the rarity - it is difficult for sure, and is one game you will not get anywhere in without taking the time and putting in the effort to really learn and understand the systems and mechanics, but I promise you, when you do? 
It is just magical.

I was in constant awe of the design on this game.
Everything about it is balanced to perfection.

There have to millions of possible permutations of powers / agents / augments / weapons, skill upgrades and items, and yet no matter how you play, it feels balanced. You never feel over powered - in fact, you almost always feel underpowered, but with just enough available to you to scrape by with skilful play.
The RNG aspects of what missions / agents/ powers etc are available to you, force you to constantly be adjusting and adapting your style of play to the challenges present, and no play through is ever the same as before. Even within the runs, as the missions change, so must you, and that makes every little thing feel significant, and every new idea or trick you can come up with valid.

It is a truly remarkable piece of game design to be able to pull that off over so many missions, but Klei does it perfectly.

I don't think I ever once encountered a mission that was completely impossible, nor did I ever encounter one that felt like a cake-walk.
When I messed up, it was my fault, and when I succeeded like a boss, it was 'cause... well... I'm a fucking boss ?? 
In a procedurally generated game, that is an outstanding achievement.

The art in the game is gorgeous (as all Klei games are) and the animations and sound design do a wonderful job of ratcheting up the tension.

I really cannot say enough good things about this game - It is one of only a handful I have played in the last decade that I will legitimately consider whenever discussions of 'Top 'X' games of All Time' come up. 
Despite the lengthly platinum journey, this game will be staying on my system, in that little folder along with Dead Cells, Transistor, Nex Machina, Resogun, Superhot and Rogue Legacy - the games I know will likely never get any new content, but I will always want to come back to regardless!

10/10
Sublime!

- also, worth noting - if you have been PSPlus for a while... you might actually already own it.

• Like 4

Sounds like Crash Trilogy would be a good starting point.  Check out the trophy guide.  7/10 platinum difficulty and a very short game.  Probably my top 5 proudest platinums and gave me confidence to play harder games in the future.  And I'm not even that good at platformer games.  

For replay/retry to perfect the run I definitely suggest Super Time Force Ultra or Atomine. STFU is 2D side-scrolling mayhem but has it so you can replay levels with different characters/abilites to get the best time/beat the objectives while Atomine is top down rouge-like twin stick shooter that requires multiple runs to get the best gear/weapons.

L82ab8f.png                   L1ab094.png

Apart from those two I thoroughly enjoyed Supergiant games like Pyre or Transistor for the challenge and payoff. Great and unique gameplay and great narratives to boot.

L8b4842.png                    La82a5d.png

• Like 1

Sonic forces. The time trials will make you restart and get the perfect time and  don't forget that you can download supersonic for free from the store to make it easier to finish them in time. But it's really annoying to get collectables so be warned.

1 hour ago, FierceMetal said:

If it helps at all: I love games where a big part of the gameplay loop is constantly restarting to get the perfect run or nail a tricky section (what's wrong with me lol), definitely need more of that haha. I also love games with retro vibes. For me, boss fights, gameplay and then story in that order, are the kind of games I dig the most.

Hmm, there is one specific game that comes to mind that has it all.. Awesome bosses, incredible gameplay and almost no plot (which is anyways your order of preference, right?), in addition to a kick-ass soundtrack. It is not retro, but it is arcade, so there's that, and you will need to keep resetting runs while going for the plat. 

Any guesses? 

Of course, it's this beauty here: 

L1a73cf.png

Not too challenging, but will definitely require a bit of practice :) I wrote the guide for this game since I found it so much fun that I just had to... 

• Like 2

Guys, so many awesome replies and suggestions! I'm looking up lots of the games rn. I'm all repped out for the day but I will be sure to dish some more out tomorrow. So far, games I'm definitely interested in picking up out of the recommendations (still looking other games up though): Invisible Inc, Hollow Knight, Downwell & Nex Machina. 

So pumped with all the quick and well thought out replies! Appreciate it.

Definitely Bloodborne

as for fun and challenging I can think of couple of series like:

1. Assassins Creed series

2. Far Cry series

3. Wolfenstein series (Wolf2 is extremely hard)

4. BioShock series

If you are into PS3 games, then God of War series are one of the best challenging games.

Personally, I think Catherine Full Body edition checks the difficulty part and has fun gameplay. It's not for everyone, but it was one of the toughest AND funnest plats I've ever earned so I'd recommend it to anyone seeking for a challenge. I still play it and have it installed to do something to kill time while games download to this day. It's not exactly "retro" but it's very puzzly and makes you have to think on your feet (while the floor crumbles away). It can be quite the grind, but it's definitely worth it.

I'd also really recommend Hotline Miami 1 and 2. Both games will definitely kick your ass and have that retro feel to them. The soundtrack slaps so even if you are getting absolutely slaughtered over and over, at least you'll be vibing to that beat. The first one's rarity is at 9%, but don't let that fool you. It's a challenge.

Lastly, I really liked Titan's Souls. The game is pretty much made up of hardcore boss battles where a single bad mistiming will cost you your life. It's a very intense thrill ride and one I'd never be able to complete, but did surprisingly enjoy. This game also has the retro vibe as well and checks all of the OP boxes

35 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Hmm, there is one specific game that comes to mind that has it all.. Awesome bosses, incredible gameplay and almost no plot (which is anyways your order of preference, right?), in addition to a kick-ass soundtrack. It is not retro, but it is arcade, so there's that, and you will need to keep resetting runs while going for the plat. 

Any guesses? 

Of course, it's this beauty here: 

L1a73cf.png

Not too challenging, but will definitely require a bit of practice :) I wrote the guide for this game since I found it so much fun that I just had to... 

Yes ? 

Actually - for answers to the OP’s question there are very few Housemarque games that don’t fit the bill - Dead Nation, Resogun, Matterfall... they all kinda fall in that ‘short, tough and a ton of fun’ category! 

• Like 1