Looking for fun and challenging platinum suggestions?

Metal

L5c4181.png

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

A fun platformer that can be pretty challenging, with a platinum list that is tough but not unreasonable, with some dark humor to top it all off. You will be dying quite a bit here until you figured the different sections out, though it was never frustrating to me.

L5e5946.png

Bastion

Action role playing game. The base game is pretty easy, but the challenges required for the platinum should give you a run for your money. The game has several ways to approach enemies, the story is good and presented well for an indie game, and the soundtrack and art for this game are great. The game has to be played through more than once, and the later handicap challenges have to be practiced quite a bit due to their, at first, overwhelming difficulty.

L092a79.png

They Are Billions

RTS game. A bit of a rare genre for console, but the controls work really well here. The game feels almost impossible at first due to its steep learning curve, but as you figure out the ins and outs that sometimes even go against things you learned from other strategy games, you can begin to improve and tackle harder and harder trophies in this addicting and surprisingly tough game. There is a campaign that is not required for the platinum if you want story and rpg like progression on top of the gameplay, though the different survival maps deliver plenty of challenges by themselves. This should be your thing because for the first few rounds you are only focussed on even making it through a game, which is challenging by itself early even on easy, repeating and improving your gameplay consistently is what gets you this games platinum, a single mistake or oversight can have harsh consequences and sometimes even end a run.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FierceMetal said:

If it helps at all: I love games where a big part of the gameplay loop is constantly restarting to get the perfect run or nail a tricky section (what's wrong with me lol), definitely need more of that haha. I also love games with retro vibes

Dyad. I didn't read all the recommendations, but I'm sure no one mentioned that. Dyad is a PS3 exclusive game that you probably have in your plus library. It is a unique game, which presents too much eccentricity and originality, it is difficult to describe, but I even made a thread about it.

Gotta go with Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition. For some reason this game kept growing on me with every single challenge I took care of, especially if you happen to have a coop partner around. It's not the toughest game in the world, but things definitely get busy.

Some good suggestions in here. I would also second: 

Hotline Miami 1 and 2 

Furi 

Hollow Knight 

Blasphemous 

A few other suggestions I didn't see yet: 

Enter the Gungeon - This one is free right now anyways, so I'd pick it up if you haven't already. 

Hyper Light Drifter - A pretty challenging game at its core, but if you want a difficult platinum, well, you've found it. 

The Messenger - Not too hard, but it definitely has that retro aesthetic you're looking for.

Dead Cells - A roguelike that I enjoyed back when it came out. The developers have been adding to this game consistently, so I don't know what it looks like now... but it was definitely fun back when I played it.

• Like 2

Velocity Ultra and Velocity 2X

Wipeout Omega Collection

Pac-Man Championship Edition 2

Axiom Verge

The Persistence (Has a Non-VR mode now)

Horizon Chase Turbo

Aggelos

Super Stardust Ultra

Valfaris

Sorry for the long list!

Edited by DogFoRaw5
  • Like 2

Concrete Genie.Short and fun games to platinum.There are few collectibles but it woulldn't take much time collect them.I don't have VR but with it the experience will be better.

Erica is also a good game and another good option.It takes multiple playtrough but for each one you need only 2 or 3 hours.

If you like platforming i would also suggest Sonic Forces.It's an easy and fun game.

It might not be a heavily appreciated title to those who are not fans of the Angry Video Game Nerd, but I found the Angry Video Game Nerd I & II Deluxe to be an absolute blast to play. It's not too hard and not too easy. You don't need a guide (though I did just write one and submitted it to PSNProfiles because I loved the game that much). You can choose your difficulty, and even the easiest mode is not a cakewalk. It's two and a half games in one and totally worth the price tag.

The campaigns are pretty easy but the combat challenges are very tough- the Batman Arkham series. The Mr. Freeze boss battle in Arkham City was the best boss battle for me in probably a decade. 

You want unique boss battles and gameplay loop, can't go wrong with Metal Gear Solid series though the controls are dated for the older games. 

Almost any God of War game on hard always provided me a satisfying challenge and good boss battles, GoW 2018 I actually had to drop down to Normal to get through. 

• Like 1

God I've done a lot of these games that have been posted here.

8 hours ago, Deceptrox said:

The Hungry Horde if you own a Vita.

7 hours ago, GraniteSnake said:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I’m not sure if you own a PS3 though after looking at your trophy list

Already bought both with the DLC. Might save these as my last hurrah and sendoff for two dying consoles.

• Like 1