Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection (June 1, 2021)

Inb4 sub 1% Platinum rarity xP

For real, though, this is going to be a tough cookie to crack. I was watching a gameplay session of this one on YouTube the other day and it is as unapologetic and soul-crushingly hard as the original Ghost 'n Goblins games were. I'm very interested in this title as well.

As a side note, I'd be extremely cool if we could get the Contra ReBirth and Castlevania The Adventure ReBirth games that were released on WiiWare years ago. They're titles pretty much in the same spirit as this one and from the same generation of games that were made to break gamers into submissions due to their notorious hard difficulty, lol. Can't you imagine an HD release of those with trophies on PlayStation? That'd be sweet. Yeah, I know they're from Konami, but still, they would come up to round this package alongside Ghost 'n Goblins quite nicely. :D

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

The art style and animations don't really appeal to me, but I'm thrilled to be getting another GnG regardless. Hopefully, I still have the skills to pay the bills...

I didn't care about the visuals either initially but then once I actually played it I hardly even noticed when the game was in motion.

If anyone is curious what potential trophies could be, no spoilers: Challenges - Ghosts 'N Goblins Resurrection Wiki Guide - IGN

Yeah, when you're under relentless assault by enemies and projectiles from every direction, I'd imagine visuals are the least of your concerns. It just looks a bit Flash gamey; reminds me of Salt and Sanctuary, actually.

If those end up being the trophies, they appear quite doable at first glance (I'll regret those words, I'm sure).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, mcnichoj said:

I didn't care about the visuals either initially but then once I actually played it I hardly even noticed when the game was in motion.

If anyone is curious what potential trophies could be, no spoilers: Challenges - Ghosts 'N Goblins Resurrection Wiki Guide - IGN

These challenges don’t seem too bad. Idk how hard obtain the true ending is though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vtull said:

These challenges don’t seem too bad. Idk how hard obtain the true ending is though.

From the same IGN Wiki:

Ghosts 'n Goblins True Ending features a special final boss and special credits roll that can only be reached after completing all fourteen of the game's levels and all fourteen of the game's Hell Holes. Doing so will get you the 17 Demon Orbs needed to unlock the true final boss, the game's ultimate challenge.

Once you have all 17 Demon Orbs you will need to beat Zone 5: Shadow Shadowlord's Citadel one more time and defeat Lucifer to trigger the special cutscene that brings you to the true final boss.

• Like 1

don't know if that version count, but I only beat the Sega Genesis version with a true ending, the Genesis port is the easiest one out there, played the arcade version on the ps2 via Capcom Arcade Collection Volume 1 and I couldn't even reach the final boss.

definitely not gonna buy this at full price and hate myself or brake a controller trying to beat it, i'll wait for a sale.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the in-game Switch version challenges will translate directly to Xbox achievements and PSN trophies. They even already have bronze/silver/gold symbols on them.

I've completed the challenges on switch. The game has four difficulties, with Squire being 'normal' and everything can be completed here. It's still somewhat difficult at parts but much more forgiving than the higher difficulties where there are less frequent checkpoints and you can't get hit as many times before dying. In squire, you lose armor three times to end up in boxers, then die with the next hit. I believe this is reduced by one in the next difficulty and two in the highest. 

You need to play through the game's seven levels twice, once in standard levels and the seconds time in shadow versions of the same levels where enemies are different, more plentiful, and more dangerous. You have to find a specific chest in every level that opens a secret area, then complete these secret areas in order to unlock the true boss at the end of the final level on the 2nd playthrough for the true ending. Not that tough.

The hard part of the completion was finding all the umbral bees in the levels. Most are in static locations but some spawn with some random requirements (like breaking a certain chest when in your underwear). The vids I found on youtube were helpful but incomplete, leaving me to work out how to get several of the bees to appear. Once comprehensive, detailed guides with all the bees are available, the completion will be very manageable. Possibly 8-10 hours.

I'm surprised completing the game on the hardest difficulty isn't in the challenge list and while I don't expect to see different requirements added to Xbox/PSN, this addition wouldn't shock me.

Edited by v_Sully
typo
  • Like 2