PS4 Sold Over 1 Million Units On Launch

Parker

I contributed to PS4's successful US launch aswell - I bought two: one for myself, and the other as a gift.

I know Sony probably finds these number underwhelming, especially since PS3 sold something like 3 million units at launch. But that was a different world (consoles arn't the must-have items they once were), and that was a worldwide launch too (not just US). Besides; Sony projected 5 million PS4s would be sold by March 2014 - and considering Europe, Australia, & New Zealand will probably account for another 2 million more - that's 3 million units right there. Japan will probably account for 250,000 at it's launch, and holiday sales of PS4 in the US & UK are probably going to be crazy.

So I expect Sony will be pleased in the end - achieveing around 4 million units sold by March - which is an amazing feat in this day & age. To give you a idea of just how amazing it is: consider that Microsoft is launching the XBOX ONE worldwide (the same) - a clear advantage - but only expects around 3 million units sold by March 2014!  

The ps3 sold no where near 3 million units at launch. So yes sony is really pleased with these numbers.

I'm happy about this. I hope to see the PS4 do well even though I won't be getting one for a while. I'm actually a little surprised about these figures as there aren't too many games out yet. I guess I over-estimated the amount of people who would want to wait for more titles like me.

Edited by A_Hyper_Squirrel

I contributed to PS4's successful US launch aswell - I bought two: one for myself, and the other as a gift.

I know Sony probably finds these number underwhelming, especially since PS3 sold something like 3 million units at launch. But that was a different world (consoles arn't the must-have items they once were), and that was a worldwide launch too (not just US). Besides; Sony projected 5 million PS4s would be sold by March 2014 - and considering Europe, Australia, & New Zealand will probably account for another 2 million more - that's 3 million units right there. Japan will probably account for 250,000 at it's launch, and holiday sales of PS4 in the US & UK are probably going to be crazy.

So I expect Sony will be pleased in the end - achieveing around 4 million units sold by March - which is an amazing feat in this day & age. To give you a idea of just how amazing it is: consider that Microsoft is launching the XBOX ONE worldwide (the same day) - a clear advantage - but only expects around 3 million units sold by March 2014!  

Actually, PS3 sold around 83.000 at launch, since it was only on Japan. Moreover, it launched afterwards in the US, and a long while after in Europe and Australia. PS2 sold way more than PS3 at launch, and the PS4 has been the biggest launch since who knows when. Sony must be really pleased with these numbers. I'll give you further detail: if you combine the sales of PS3 day one launch in every market, you still don't get one million! So these numbers are pretty insane, I hope if gets similar results when it hits Europe and Australia, and I hope XBox One does well too, that means a fiercer competition, and that means they'll work harder to win us over ;)