Square Enix Might be for Sale - Square Denies Claims

DEI2EK

28 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

Probably be an upgrade if greedy scumbags like EA picked them up, after the way FFXV turned out.

Is EA bad? Yes. Is EA that bad? No. People blow EA's awfulness out of the water. Activision's way worse, and Sony's anti-consumer approaches recently is awful.

28 minutes ago, HYPERS said:

I got $20. I'll take it.

I'm putting forth $20.01 >:)

25 minutes ago, DEI2EK said:

Well this would be interesting

Microsoft does have an endless wallet so it'd make sense to acquire a massive company. Plus Square Enix isn't only Japanese games, are they mainly? Certainly. But they own Eidos Montreal which I'd assume is more loved in Europe/NA compared to Asia.

7 minutes ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

Get your Squeenix multiplayer trophies sorted ahead of time just in case.

Good to get multiplayer trophies out of the way regardless.

4 minutes ago, Alaquia said:

A japanese studio with an immense history behind it bought by microsoft, I'm not really seeing it.

Or maybe I just hope it's not true

Xbox has Game Pass, which is heavily used on PC. Xbox Game Pass doesn't just appeal to Xbox console gamers.

1 minute ago, MidnightDragon said:

Hmm, wonder how this will all play out.

Yeah, Bethesda' acquisition has kind of changed the gaming landscape in terms of acqusitions.

• Like 1

Well, if it's true, hopefully it's Nintendo or Sony. Again, we'll just have to wait and see. Some insiders on Twitter say that this sort of thing happens a lot, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything will happen. Still would prefer them not to be bought by anyone. 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1

I would think it unlikely to be Microsoft. There are some issues when it comes to buying a Japanese company that could manifest and the company may not want to be bought out by westerners too. Doesn't make much sense either. Eidos or whatever mean 0 to Square. What happens to their Japanese side is what they care about and being bought by Microsoft well... that is them really hurt.... games like Dragon Quest, one of Square Enix's main series, one that gets by entirely on Japan... may as well no longer release at that point. Another high profile buying like this might get them taken court possibly also. Microsoft is more likely to buy off parts off Square, like the mentioned Eidos. 

Sony is perhaps the most likely group that may come to most people's minds... but there are a bunch of East Asian groups that are very rich. One of them might buy them.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Sony is perhaps the most likely group that may come to most people's minds... but there are a bunch of East Asian groups that are very rich. One of them might buy them.

Sony has been a major partner to Square Enix for decades. IIrc it was revealed some time ago that they even bought (and later sold) a lot of the company's stock just to help them out during their worst financial fase. Also, just look at how often Square Enix titles pop up as PS Plus and PS Now titles.

That being said I don't think Sony Corp has any intention of buying anything right now. They probably can't afford it and aren't interested in taking risks.

Just look at their movie business. They've outsourced Spidey to Marvel (probably their most valuable asset), killed their own video streaming business and now handed it to Netflix, and have all types of distribution partnerships with MGM, Lionsgate and Universal in order to survive this age of Disney domination. They're struggling.

1 minute ago, MidnightDragon said:

Another possibility I heard being thrown around is Tencent...that would suck, too. Hopefully Square Enix stays third party. I don’t want to get Game Pass to play future installments of Dragon Quest.

Was just about to say that. Tencent. Tencent buys everything.

Just now, LastMinuteSavior said:

Sony has been a major partner to Square Enix for decades. IIrc it was revealed some time ago that they even bought (and later sold) a lot of the company's stock just to help them out during their worst financial fase. Also, just look at how often Square Enix titles pop up as PS Plus and PS Now titles.

That being said I don't think Sony Corp has any intention of buying anything right now. They probably can't afford it and aren't interested in taking risks.

Just look at their movie business. They've outsourced Spidey to Marvel (probably their most valuable asset), killed their own video streaming business and now handed it to Netflix, and have all types of distribution partnerships with MGM, Lionsgate and Universal in order to survive this age of Disney domination. They're struggling.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/SONY/sony/cash-on-hand

I wouldn't exactly classify a company with close to 45 billion cash in hand, near double what they had just 2 years ago, to be "struggling". The issue for them in buying a company like this is that Sony is far more interested in investments in their other ventures than gaming, even though gaming is such a vital part of their company. Granted, considering Playstation's performance even without the company putting a rocket behind them... perhaps the executives weren't wrong to limit the cash. This limiting might become less so however if Sony starts feeling threatened.

• Like 2

Also think Square Enix is a publicly traded company, so that would complicate things. Anyway, time will tell, I guess. 

39 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

They're gonna take over the world at this rate.

Can't not see Sony acquire them if they are indeed for sale.

Microsoft may have an infinite bank account, but this acquisition makes zero sense for them, since sales will just plummet in the Japanese market. They really don't like Xbox there. They should stick to the Bethesda's of the gaming world.

• Like 4

Jim Ryan will probably just look at the FF7 remake that Sony seem to have exclusivity on at the moment, and he'll say "Why would anybody play this?" it's just a remake of an old game, nobody plays old games anymore.

He'll just say "We don't need Square Enix, not when we've got the Last Of Us Remake coming. All yours Microsoft!"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

Well this would be interesting

Of course he would say that - he throws out so many rumours and guesses that guy. He's had one or two that coincidentally came true, so now everyone believes everything he says, ignoring the countless times he's been wrong. Also, just because SE may have offers, doesn't mean they'll sell - look at Bloober Team

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, turniplord said:

Of course he would say that - he throws out so many rumours and guesses that guy. He's had one or two that coincidentally came true, so now everyone believes everything he says, ignoring the countless times he's been wrong. Also, just because SE may have offers, doesn't mean they'll sell - look at Bloober Team

or AT&T with their game studios, dc comics, etc where they floated sales out there, discussed then took their ball and went home.

Some of the speculation online reminds me of the idiots who were certain that Microsoft was buying Sega due to looking too much into shit. There's barely anything to go on with this report and suddenly people are convinced Microsoft is buying Square Enix. I don’t see it, but after Bethesda, can’t completely rule it out. Just wait and see if anything actually happens. 

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, bmg_ps said:

Being a bit selfish here, but I am concerned of losing Tomb Raider games on PS if MS buys SE.. Really liked the new trilogy and what future instalments could be

I'm not sure of the nitty-gritty details of the laws in different countries, but I suspect that if MS buy up any more large developers, there will be likely be significant Anti-Trust considerations to take in to account :hmm:

They could end up in a situation where they are legally required to have the games come out on other platforms - or at least, to not mandate platform exclusivity - even if they do own them - or be blocked from purchasing at all.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Some of the speculation online reminds me of the idiots who were certain that Microsoft was buying Sega due to looking too much into shit. There's barely anything to go on with this report and suddenly people are convinced Microsoft is buying Square Enix. I don’t see it, but after Bethesda, can’t completely rule it out. Just wait and see if anything actually happens. 

After what happened to Skype, I don't want Microsoft getting their greedy paws onto more acquisitions.

I'm getting sick and tired of these massive trillion, billion dollar corporations buying out smaller companies and turning them to shit.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

After what happened to Skype, I don't want Microsoft getting their greedy paws onto more acquisitions.

I'm getting sick and tired of these massive trillion, billion dollar corporations buying out smaller companies and turning them to shit.

I largely agree, but I've seen you say that about Skype before - what exactly 'happened' to Skype after MS bought it? . :hmm:

I feel like I've been using it exactly the same since it's inception... :dunno:

Edit:

this is a genuine question BTW, I'm actually asking - and it's open to anyone who has the inclination to explain it to me, as I'm relatively sure @AJ_Radio has me blocked ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney