Vita and PS3 store spending

happyman778

PS Vita and PS3 store spending  

178 members have voted

1. 1. With these two stores closing down how much have you spent on them since the announcement?

• £0
    • <£20
    • £20 - £40
    • £41 - £60
    • £61 - £80
    • £81 - £100
    • >£100

I’m just curious what people are buying? Is it mainly DLC’s and digital only games? Is it cheaper to buy physical copies of other games? I never had a PS3 at the time so eventually I would like to play on it (I have one now).. so want to make sure I get the content I want before it closes

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I’m just curious what people are buying? Is it mainly DLC’s and digital only games? Is it cheaper to buy physical copies of other games? I never had a PS3 at the time so eventually I would like to play on it (I have one now).. so want to make sure I get the content I want before it closes

The ps3 has a great list of games and i still play have a backlog of games to complete!  It all depends on what you are into.  I think a lot of ps3 physical games are cheap on ebay or similar places that sell second hand games.  There are a few games that are digital only, which is what i think most people are grabbing.  Or games that maybe only got a Japan release and the physical price is a lot.  

There are a lot of videos on youtube with recommendations and lists of what to pick up etc, worth a look if you get a chance!  Be prepared though, a lot of them aren't cheap anymore sadly.  

1 hour ago, happyman778 said:

Since the announcement of the Vita and PS3 stores closing I was wondering if people had been going back and spending money on them before it is too late. I know I certainly have!

I have picked up a few vita games, and looked through the ps3 store today.  I may pick up a few, but with some still being A$20+, it can get expensive quickly! 

I’ve been buying cheap, digital only games (or games I thought were digital only) since I keep hoping there will be a last-minute sale or that publishers will “permanently” reduce prices to circumvent the sale ban.

Also been making a list of prices for games on BookOff - much cheaper to be buy DjMax or the Atelier games there, for example. Just need for COVID to end to go there again - or else to convince friends or family to forward a few packages!

Examples of what I’ve picked up: Boss!, Burn the Rope, Proteus, Geki Yaba Runner, Dreamwalker, Son of Scoregasm, etc.

• Like 1

i never really stoped playing and buying stuff on ps3 from time to time but recently i just got some DLC that i still want to finish and a very little amount of store only games that i wanted to get sooner or later anyway and just made it be sooner^^

• Like 2

luckily i have all the dlc for most games i have in my backlog, need like 7 dlcs, will pick up a load of digi only titles, also  noticed a load of them are also on psnow atm so may drop 5 weeks on that with the trial to save a load of money, this is one time where my bad spending habits and huge backlog actually has been an advantage :) atm without using now i'm probably looking at like £150 but that's on some titles i probably wouldn't be getting anyway. probably easily halved with a month of now.

will make my purchases on the last week of each store closure, very low chance but some discounts being added would be nice.

Edited by Leenewbe

I have bought nothing yet, but probably will have to buy a few things before the end.

It's weird because there is a sense of "search for games I want", but if I have to search hard for stuff then maybe I didn't need them in the first place.

My backlog is already at dangerous levels with about 10-20 Vita, 5-10 PS3 and on PS4 50 games that I already bought and have yet to start.

I probably will probably play some of those games even if I never buy another game in my life.

Anyway....

I'm probably gonna buy a ton of stuff later, I doubt I can help myself. lol

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

The vast majority of games that have a physical copy are cheaper physically. I have only been buying digital only games & DLC. I figured if I want to play something that is expensive for a physical copy then either:

1. I can resell it afterwards to make most, if not all, of my money back.

2. If it's a game I really enjoy and want to keep, then I would have wanted a physical edition anyway.

My purchases have been coming from a list I have of games I am interested in or have been recommended to me over the years. The idea of the list is meant to be that I look at it for my next game and pick whatever jumps out at me, buying as I go (since there are no discounts anymore on PS3/Vita).

The main difficulty I'm having at the moment is figuring out what would have stayed on the list forever and what I would have actually got round to playing. And for DLCs, which games I would enjoy enough to want to buy them. For series I am just going to try out the first game. But haven't figured out how to decide for the many single games on the list yet.

There are a few lists popping up of everything digital only, games with GOTY editions, recommended games to buy etc. So if you don't have your own list already, it's a choice between checking those for quick reference, or going through every PS3/Vita game if you are looking for completeness (I imagine that would take a while though).

Edited by StacFace92
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, StacFace92 said:

The vast majority of games that have a physical copy are cheaper physically. I have only been buying digital only games & DLC. I figured if I want to play something that is expensive for a physical copy then either:

1. I can resell it afterwards to make most, if not all, of my money back.

2. If it's a game I really enjoy and want to keep, then I would have wanted a physical edition anyway.

My purchases have been coming from a list I have of games I am interested in or have been recommended to me over the years. The idea of the list is meant to be that I look at it for my next game and pick whatever jumps out at me, buying as I go (since there are no discounts anymore on PS3/Vita).

The main difficulty I'm having at the moment is figuring out what would have stayed on the list forever and what I would have actually got round to playing. And for DLCs, which games I would enjoy enough to want to buy them. For series I am just going to try out the first game. But haven't figured out how to decide for the many single games on the list yet.

There are a few lists popping up of everything digital only, games with GOTY editions, recommended games to buy etc. So if you don't have your own list already, it's a choice between checking those for quick reference, or going through every PS3/Vita game if you are looking for completeness (I imagine that would take a while though).

and where i can find those lists regarding the topics you mentioned above on this website? would be very helpful to see them all to decide what to buy and what not

Over 100 dollars.

I didn't get a Vita until earlier this year, so there's a lot of Vita games and PS1/PSP titles I want to get.

As I'm typing this, I've gotten almost every Vita game on the store that I would've wanted. It'll be time to get some more PSP and PS1 games.

12 hours ago, tonkie18 said:

Some Vita and PS3 games are expensive physically compared to the shop, especially in the Vita's case.

Persona 4 Golden is $19.99 on the PS Store. It's $70 and up for the physical game on most websites. Tearaway is also $19.99 on the PS Store, but also $70 and up physically on most websites.

I know physical has the benefit of less hard drive/sd card space and physical ownership. But sometimes it's really not worth it if you have to pay 1.5-5 times the physical price.

There's also some expensive PS1 games that you can get cheaper on Vita or PS3, and some PS2 games you can get cheaper on PS3.

I got Persona 4 Golden on the PS Store. If I hadn't done that, I would've bought it on Steam and played it on PC. I wasn't about to drop $70-$120 and up just to have it physically.

• Like 2

I spent around $40 on Castlevania DLC and avatars. I still need to buy NightCry on the Vita store for my collection of bad spiritual successors to Clock Tower. I also still don't own the DLC for Dead Space 2, but don't want to buy it so I can use the 100% no longer being attainable after the store closes as an excuse not to play it because I'm a scared baby. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, REPG_16_netsulli said:

and where i can find those lists regarding the topics you mentioned above on this website? would be very helpful to see them all to decide what to buy and what not

In the PS3/Vita subsections mostly. Here's 3 I can see on the first page of the PS3 topics as an example:

• Like 1

So far around £50, mostly DLCs for games I've already played but not got around to, plus God Hand.

Right now my console's fucking about not connecting to my internet though so, uh, maybe no more on the PS3 front, which is a problem for the couple games I haven't got DLC for yet. Vita can connect fine though, gotta grab P3P whilst I still can.

15 hours ago, tonkie18 said:

PS3 physical versions have, to date, been extremely cheap. But that is changing.

I can tell you that there are a lot of mass-produced games in physical form that are way cheaper than the PS3 Store prices. So far I haven't seen much movement on those.

I can pick up really good games in the UK from Momox and Music Magpie on eBay and Amazon.co.uk for,normally less than £3.

However, I have noticed that PS3 games that AREN'T on the Store have gone up in price massively if they are a relatively easy Plat. No idea why this should be the case but you could pick up a copy of Captain America for around £20 prior to the announcement. It's now going for £80+ on my shortlists. I cannot explain this phenomena.

Vita is another story. Physical Vita games were always expensive and they are getting worse. To be honest, my concern with Vita is that the majority of Vita games I want to play are digital only. On PS3 there are only a handful of PS3 digital-only titles that I want (plus DLC). With Vita, the opposite situation to PS3 seems to be the case. Vita physical is way more expensive than the Store in general, and since I really don't want my Vita to be a brick, I'm going to focus my buying on Vita.

Most of the PS3 games, even if they increased in price by three times, would still be affordable. With Vita, that isn't the case.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

PS3 physical versions have, to date, been extremely cheap. But that is changing.

I can tell you that there are a lot of mass-produced games in physical form that are way cheaper than the PS3 Store prices. So far I haven't seen much movement on those.

I can pick up really good games in the UK from Momox and Music Magpie on eBay and Amazon.co.uk for,normally less than £3.

However, I have noticed that PS3 games that AREN'T on the Store have gone up in price massively if they are a relatively easy Plat. No idea why this should be the case but you could pick up a copy of Captain America for around £20 prior to the announcement. It's now going for £80+ on my shortlists. I cannot explain this phenomena.

Vita is another story. Physical Vita games were always expensive and they are getting worse. To be honest, my concern with Vita is that the majority of Vita games I want to play are digital only. On PS3 there are only a handful of PS3 digital-only titles that I want (plus DLC). With Vita, the opposite situation to PS3 seems to be the case. Vita physical is way more expensive than the Store in general, and since I really don't want my Vita to be a brick, I'm going to focus my buying on Vita.

Most of the PS3 games, even if they increased in price by three times, would still be affordable. With Vita, that isn't the case.

Muramusa Rebirth is going for over $100 on Amazon. Meanwhile I can pick it up for around $30 - 35 including all the DLC.

I have Captain America sitting on my shelf, could make a pretty penny out of it. Just need to set up a seller account online.

• Like 1

The next issue I think we all need to take into account is the lifespan of your PS3 and Vita. Vita is likely fine but PS3, it's not like you can easily just buy a new one when the BluRay drive dies or you get a YLOD. It's fine hoarding and stocking up on physical and even digital games but is your PS3 going to last with you?

My 2nd PS3 if about 7 years old now and my Vita, well my first has a pretty crap battery and worn away rubber on analogue sticks, and my 2nd Vita the crappy second model with the not as good screen, that Vita is about 3 years old. Honestly tempted to get a 3rd now. But when I checked Amazon, a brand new Vita and a 8GB memory card is about the same price as a PS4 lol

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

The next issue I think we all need to take into account is the lifespan of your PS3 and Vita. Vita is likely fine but PS3, it's not like you can easily just buy a new one when the BluRay drive dies or you get a YLOD. It's fine hoarding and stocking up on physical and even digital games but is your PS3 going to last with you?

My 2nd PS3 if about 7 years old now and my Vita, well my first has a pretty crap battery and worn away rubber on analogue sticks, and my 2nd Vita the crappy second model with the not as good screen, that Vita is about 3 years old. Honestly tempted to get a 3rd now. But when I checked Amazon, a brand new Vita and a 8GB memory card is about the same price as a PS4 lol

As long as there are parts they can be repaired

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Not sure where you live but you can easily buy a replacement PS3 in the UK. Unless you are only looking at brand new consoles, which are obviously rarer and therefore more expensive. A blu-ray drive is something you could get repaired too, and I think YLOD was mainly an issue on the launch consoles?

I picked up a second-hand Vita just recently for £90 with a 2 year warranty. And I can see 8GB memory cards for £10.

I have a second model slim PS3 that I’ve had since the end of 2012. A little over eight years old, but still runs reasonably well. 

My Vita is also a second model, bought that in early 2016. Don’t use it all too much because I greatly prefer the PS4 and PS3, but it is a very decent handheld.

I got two games left to buy for the Vita, Muramasa Rebirth and The Hungry Horde. The last PS3 content I bought was the DLC for those VR missions in Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. I expect a difficult but fun challenge in that game. 

Three games left for me to buy on PS3: Shatter, Rayman 3 HD, Knytt Underground. Everything else I’m not concerned with. Will sadly probably have to skip Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed because I’m just not going to have the time.

Edited by AJ_Radio

22 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Muramusa Rebirth is going for over $100 on Amazon. Meanwhile I can pick it up for around $30 - 35 including all the DLC.

I have Captain America sitting on my shelf, could make a pretty penny out of it. Just need to set up a seller account online.

Yes, ironically a lot of digital content on the Vita Store is actually a bargain compared to the second hand market.

Muramasa Rebirth is actually top of my list - it's about £22 for the complete edition with all the DLC. Judging by the way a lot of classic console games are going, I can see physical Vita being worth a small fortune soon - if anyone is actually willing to pay those prices of course.

With that said, I think the sort of people who would pay that money are likely even worse speculative investors. I'm a Scottish whisky connoisseur and the same phenomena in that market drives me insane. You get people buying up bottles of rarer whiskies in the hope they can sell them for a fortune later, rather than allow people to actually drink them and appreciate them at a reasonable price. This leads to these rarer whiskies going from hundreds of pounds a bottle to thousands, to tens of thousands, and in some rare cases, millions of pounds per bottle. 

It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baboon_overlord said:

Yes, ironically a lot of digital content on the Vita Store is actually a bargain compared to the second hand market.

Muramasa Rebirth is actually top of my list - it's about £22 for the complete edition with all the DLC. Judging by the way a lot of classic console games are going, I can see physical Vita being worth a small fortune soon - if anyone is actually willing to pay those prices of course.

With that said, I think the sort of people who would pay that money are likely even worse speculative investors. I'm a Scottish whisky connoisseur and the same phenomena in that market drives me insane. You get people buying up bottles of rarer whiskies in the hope they can sell them for a fortune later, rather than allow people to actually drink them and appreciate them at a reasonable price. This leads to these rarer whiskies going from hundreds of pounds a bottle to thousands, to tens of thousands, and in some rare cases, millions of pounds per bottle. 

It's ridiculous.

With all the shit that has happened over the past decade I'm not surprised with much of anything anymore. I still have an old Sega Genesis/Megadrive sitting in my closet, I imagine I can make a lot of money even though there isn't as much demand for that as opposed to a NES or Super NES.

Sometimes I just miss the old days.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

With all the shit that has happened over the past decade I'm not surprised with much of anything anymore. I still have an old Sega Genesis/Megadrive sitting in my closet, I imagine I can make a lot of money even though there isn't as much demand for that as opposed to a NES or Super NES.

Sometimes I just miss the old days.

I'm looking at the Megadrive, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube and all the games that are gathering dust around the house, and wondering if they are worth 25k. ?

14 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Check eBay. I got my Vita off a guy in the UK. He was selling the best version of the Vita (OLED), an 8GB memory card and Uncharted Golden Abyss for £100. I'm guessing his GF told him to get rid of it. ?

Buying used consoles from people who are selling them, rather than companies seems to be cheaper and better. Unless they have been refurbished (amd potentially have a guarantee, which is worth paying for), you are getting something that someone has looked after in most cases.

Bought only physicals the last month. At least I can sell them back at Cost.

Waiting on Sale or last minute Price Cuts for certain games (Caligula and so on).

Sekai Project sliced prices on 2 of their Vita games, hoping some Publishers do the same.

Edited by Kishnabe