[Musing] An Impending Trophy Hunting Cataclysm?

DrBloodmoney

On 4/25/2021 at 6:19 PM, AihaLoveleaf said:

I was browsing some game pages today and stumbled upon what is, in my opinion, the perfect model for an "ezpz" game that happens to have trophies. The Idolmaster: Gravure For You!

If you've never heard of the series, they are basically games where you snap pictures of girls from the Idolmaster series in something of a "photo shoot" session with the idol of your choice. The trophies are in Japanese but you can get the idea that it's a simple game that people can complete very quickly. You can blitz through it in under 10 minutes, or really take your time to enjoy the game, but either way you're rewarded appropriately for the difficulty and effort involved with the game.

Every game in this series has a total of 15 trophies: 13 Bronze, 1 Silver, 1 Gold. A simple and appropriate 100% list. Even if these games were localized in other regions and stackable, the single Gold trophy from each of these games probably aren't going to break the leaderboards.

This should have been the exact model that games of extremely low difficulty, effort and time investment were required to adhere to.

Back in 2015 - 2016 you had Japanese visual novels that took 10 - 30 minutes. The problem was they were expensive. Guys like Hakoom, who already have a lot of disposable income, were one of the few who could really play them, since you had to import them for the Vita. 

Today that just isn’t feasible. Countless Rata stacks and Breakthrough Gaming Arcade ensured that the leaderboards mean next to nothing. 

I couldn’t care less. If I want shovelware I can just hop on Steam for a few days and buy up utter trash. 

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, SnowbellKitty said:

As for everything else, I don't care about anyone's trophies but my own. If I deem a plat too impossible (like Shadow of the TR, because fudge no checkpoints, I ain't down with that, nor with Yakuza 0's clunky gun controls), I'll give up on it, but I'll still buy the game and enjoy it, or replay it multiple times without worrying about trophies, or if I still have trophies to hunt on it, I'll only bother with the ones I know I can get or that I've agreed with the requirements of (grind, difficulty-based, etc...)., and I definitely don't care about leaderboards or elitism. "Live and let live" (let devs and gamers do what they want), the rest could not be any less unimportant, really. It's all in the elitists's minds.

That's most people. Your profile is average. I don't have a fighting chance on the leaderboards anyway, so I just do what I want to do.